The grumpy thread

outlaw118

To say I'm annoyed with TPS Parking Solutions would be an understatement.  Absolutely sodding livid would be more accurate.

Went into B&Q a couple of weeks ago to grab a couple of small things for a job.  90% of the time I use Toolstation, but it was stuff that's so cheap that the few minutes saved just made it seem the easier option.  The place is only 5 minutes drive from here.  Realised when starting the job I'd not picked up a long enough bolt.  Cue run back to grab that.  As happens... it's a DIY store.  You forget things and come back to get them.

They've got a fscking "No return within 2 hours" rule on their posted parking conditions don't they...cue PCN dropping through my door today.  Thieving scum.  Wonder how many people get clobbered by that every Sunday afternoon...

Well there's a store I'll never even consider using again.  Toolstation's win I guess!

6 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

To say I'm annoyed with TPS Parking Solutions would be an understatement.  Absolutely sodding livid would be more accurate.

Went into B&Q a couple of weeks ago to grab a couple of small things for a job.  90% of the time I use Toolstation, but it was stuff that's so cheap that the few minutes saved just made it seem the easier option.  The place is only 5 minutes drive from here.  Realised when starting the job I'd not picked up a long enough bolt.  Cue run back to grab that.  As happens... it's a DIY store.  You forget things and come back to get them.

They've got a fscking "No return within 2 hours" rule on their posted parking conditions don't they...cue PCN dropping through my door today.  Thieving scum.  Wonder how many people get clobbered by that every Sunday afternoon...

Well there's a store I'll never even consider using again.  Toolstation's win I guess!

What do tradesmen doing jobs nearby do when they are making regular trips back for bits and pieces as and when they need them?

Oh wait, no tradesmen near you ever do any work, do they?

59 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Just speak to the store manager, show him your receipts and they'll most likely cancel the ticket, no drama usually.

1 hour ago, Zelandeth said:

How the fuck can a DIY store have a no return in 2 hours  policy, I can't imagine head office approving that, as you say, for a big job you might go back a few times in a day. 

About a year ago I left a car park without paying the £1 fee, realised and went back an hour later , paid it, the £1 covered midnight to 23.59 so 24 hours 

Got a PCN, appealed, rejected, go to popla BUT IF YOU DO AND LOSE IT'LL BE £100 not £60 

A clear threat, arseholes 

So I appealed to popla with the evidence I'd paid on the day and the parking company withdrew the PCN 

They're not interested in the £1, they want the £60 when you put a wrong digit in or leave then come back 

When you have an issue with people parking their cars in your car park own day you might understand their reasons for employing a a PPC, I managed a large car park for a hotel chain I worked for, people would park up and walk into the lakes for the day, guests would turn up and have nowhere to park, I used parking eye to manage ticketing and they had a simple system where you logged onto the portal and cancelled tickets.

B&Q won't make a penny from the 'fines' it's also pretty easy to read the signs.

3 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Hire TPS for your own driveway. 

3 hours ago, Alan_Green said:

3 hours ago, Alan_Green said:

I have a flat with private residents parking but there’s a business park and a railway station , neither with parking about 1/4 mile away, so naturally people use it for parking during the day.

We did consider getting a company in but then you’ve got the hassle of genuine visitors getting clamped or fined so dropped the idea. However , three fake “Private parking. Unauthorised vehicles will be clamped” signs for about £4 each off eBay seem to do the trick.

Wankers in Fog. Driving home and the worst pea souper I've seen in ages descends. Then someone who must have some marvel comics X-Ray vision emerged from the gloom behind me at astonishing speed and tailgates me for the next 2 miles.  But they don't overtake because like me they can't fucking see.  Who the fuck drives that fast in fog you can't see 30 feet and then tailgates. I can only hope they win the Darwin award they richly deserve.

22 hours ago, Rust Collector said:

On the radio this morning I heard Sussex Police have been trialling AI cameras locally that can tell if you are wearing a seatbelt or not along with other misdemeanours.

I reckon one day you're not going to be able to move for cameras automatically checking you for infringements and then penalising you instantly, rather than normal human policing being used.

Minority Report

A future technology makes it possible for cops to catch criminals before a crime is committed. John Anderton is accused of one such crime and sets out to prove his innocence.

Philip K. Dick foresaw this in 1956 :)

11 hours ago, Jazoli said:

When you have an issue with people parking their cars in your car park own day you might understand their reasons for employing a a PPC, I managed a large car park for a hotel chain I worked for, people would park up and walk into the lakes for the day, guests would turn up and have nowhere to park, I used parking eye to manage ticketing and they had a simple system where you logged onto the portal and cancelled tickets.

B&Q won't make a penny from the 'fines' it's also pretty easy to read the signs.

Yep, a lot of people are just totally ignorant and see any car park as "I can park there for literally any reason because it is a car park" like any patch of tarmac with marked bays is some sort of communal space made up for the good of society as a whole. The pub in Edale has a little car park, 7 or 8 spaces. People will fill the car park up in a morning and go walking all day, then come back and sit outside on the pubs benches eating their packed lunch and weak lemon drink out of the boot of their car. When confronted, they say it's because the public car park is too expensive (£4?) . That £4 goes towards maintaining the village, the gates and paths that they wear out etc etc. 

Same goes for our unit in Bakewell. Saw an old couple pull up outside my front door the other day, park their car, get out, sit on my wall and start putting their walking boots on! When I asked them what they were doing they genuinely didn't see the issue "the main car park is £3 for the day so we park here instead, we've done it for years!" great stuff, I pay thousands in rent so you can save £3 and my customers can't get parked? fuck off!!! 

And don't get me started on the tight cunts who park on and chew up the grass verge outside national trust car parks to save paying a token amount in order to help maintain whatever beautiful historic building they've gone to see 😡

3 hours ago, cobblers said:

Yep, a lot of people are just totally ignorant and see any car park as "I can park there for literally any reason because it is a car park" like any patch of tarmac with marked bays is some sort of communal space made up for the good of society as a whole. The pub in Edale has a little car park, 7 or 8 spaces. People will fill the car park up in a morning and go walking all day, then come back and sit outside on the pubs benches eating their packed lunch and weak lemon drink out of the boot of their car. When confronted, they say it's because the public car park is too expensive (£4?) . That £4 goes towards maintaining the village, the gates and paths that they wear out etc etc. 

Same goes for our unit in Bakewell. Saw an old couple pull up outside my front door the other day, park their car, get out, sit on my wall and start putting their walking boots on! When I asked them what they were doing they genuinely didn't see the issue "the main car park is £3 for the day so we park here instead, we've done it for years!" great stuff, I pay thousands in rent so you can save £3 and my customers can't get parked? fuck off!!! 

And don't get me started on the tight cunts who park on and chew up the grass verge outside national trust car parks to save paying a token amount in order to help maintain whatever beautiful historic building they've gone to see 😡

we will have all that looney tunes stuff with parking once easter arrives , thousands arriving to fill a couple of hundred space car parks , which are full by 10 , 11 am , so then they then park in  any space in the town . causing traffic problems up to the point of gridlock , all because of some ginger tree rats ...

and the car park charges have gone up in Southport and Ainsdale , so Formby will also be the cheaper place to park ...

I just have a feeling there might be some kick offs over this yearly event that has been complanied about for years ..

Fucking VED increases

Instead of the usual £5 increase per band, they've decided to make it a rolling increase. 

Meaning band G is going up by £20, band H is going up by £25. All the way up to band M by £65 to £695 !!! 

Band H was £230 in 2017. Now it's going to be £290... Piss take 

Band G was £205 in 2019. Now it's going to be £240

And the pre 2001 rate is going to be £200 and £325. Wasn't it £135 for the below 1549cc not too long ago? 

Should I just have my entire wages made payable to HM Govt?!!

2 hours ago, cobblers said:

I asked the electrician to put us 4 double sockets in the office, so he puts them all 40cm apart, 125cm off the floor, in the corner where there won't be any desks.

1046974971_2023-03-2119_19_51.thumb.jpg.68f494bb11c4af23a79a1c87e2747f80.jpg

Give me strength

He didn't ask you where you wanted them? I've learned that if you want someone to put/fit/cock-up something you stand a better chance if you use a marker on the wall, or a diagram, or repeat it several times.

I broke a tooth this morning! 
Eating sweets!😆

I was eating one of those fruity soft cable things and noticed some crunchy bits in it. That’s weird I thought. Spat it out and I’ve actually broken a big lump off one back tooth. Doesn’t hurt weirdly. Not very pleasant though. 
Fortunately my sister works in a dental surgery so I’ve managed to get booked in there for a check and repair job. I just hope the tooth is fixable.

People are such utter cunts: vol 264....

Got into work today to find female colleague (middle aged lady) in tears after being threatened by an oxygen thief of a customer while she was on her own in the department. Manager dealing with it and revoked his account but we've still got his address, email, phone number etc on the system.

Revenge is a dish best served cold so we're giving it a week or two....

So last year in a moment of drunken idiocy I dropped my DSLR and borked the internals of the 70-200mm L series lens that was attached to it. Went to the nearest independent camera shop and got it sent off for a repair estimate which came to £320, definitely couldn't afford that so my camera has been sat under my desk sulking ever since. 

Last Wednesday I ordered a replacement off eBay and chose to collect it from the Argos store in town, as I was working all weekend and figured I'd be able to pick it up during one of my shifts. Royal Mail has had other ideas, it's been sat in the delivery office since fecking Saturday "as the business has asked for mail not to be delivered that day. We aim to deliver it the next working day". 

Now I don't want to sound impatient and I  appreciate that the grunts in the delivery office work their arses off, but since Saturday there has been two bastarding working days and I still don't have my fecking lens! 

11 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Fucking VED increases

Instead of the usual £5 increase per band, they've decided to make it a rolling increase. 

Meaning band G is going up by £20, band H is going up by £25. All the way up to band M by £65 to £695 !!! 

And the pre 2001 rate is going to be £200 and £325. Wasn't it £135 for the below 1549cc not too long ago? 

The problem is that most people now pay their VED via direct debit so aren't really noticing the price increase. Nice little* earner for the Treasury. 

Imagine popping to the post office nowadays with a cheque for nearly 700 quid every year, you'd soon question the wisdom of owning that big engined car built after 2006. 

Had a power cut in the night. We only knew about it as this phone charger made a loud bang, blew its top off and let out a stink.

Hopefully that's all that's fucked. We've been getting updates apparently about predicted times when it'll be back on. Hopefully  before the freezers defrost and bollocks all the grub.

20230322_092801.jpg

12 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Fucking VED increases

Wow. I've recently sold my red 'spares' MR2 and have just checked online that the V5  is showing as updated. I see pothole tax is now £290 per annum which seems crazy for what it is. As you say, £230 in 2017 seemed a relative barg compared to today's rip-off prices. I'm not in a rush to tax my long-term silver MR2 after its winter lay up to be honest. 

9 minutes ago, warch said:

The problem is that most people now pay their VED via direct debit so aren't really noticing the price increase. Nice little* earner for the Treasury.

Very much this. I looked twice when I spotted the hike to £290. 

Just now, cobblers said:

Bugger. What boiler is it? Often there's a replaceable fuse on the circuit board internally (or even a 3a one in the fused spur supplying it)

It's a modern Alpha one. I've not checked anything on it, other than the 15amp supply on the fuse board.

Apparently there were over 700 houses affected. We've just got a letter "excess voltage generated on the network"

It's also killed the poe injector for my camera and my pc speakers.

1 minute ago, iainrcz said:

It's a modern Alpha one. I've not checked anything on it, other than the 15amp supply on the fuse board.

Apparently there were over 700 houses affected. We've just got a letter "excess voltage generated on the network"

It's also killed the poe injector for my camera and my pc speakers.

Start with the fused spur, hopefully that's copped for it first. I wonder if there's any hope of national grid helping out if it's a widespread and known fault?

2 hours ago, iainrcz said:

It's killed the boiler 🙄

Some years ago I came home from a nightshift and was about to go to bed when the light went very bright and I smelt summat smokey, the TV in the living room was on fire as there had been a massive power surge, had I gone to bed 10 mins earlier I may have had a crispy end !  

IIRC the leccy company paid a local electrical engineer to repair/replace everything in the street that was damaged, I guess he made a fortune out of it !

16 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Fucking VED increases

Yes, I think I'm going to be SORNing more of the fleet this coming year.  Although on the plus side the Visa becomes tax exempt next week so that'll offset things slightly.

17 hours ago, cobblers said:

I asked the electrician to put us 4 double sockets in the office, so he puts them all 40cm apart, 125cm off the floor, in the corner where there won't be any desks.

1046974971_2023-03-2119_19_51.thumb.jpg.68f494bb11c4af23a79a1c87e2747f80.jpg

Give me strength

Did you tell him where you wanted them? 

I gave a mate of a mate a hand doing a rewire last year, no plans or owt and the customer was not on hand to ask where they wanted sockets, switches etc.  It was a bit of a fuck up really,  small bedroom - 'two sockets, 1 light switch'