The grumpy thread

outlaw118

The little bastards DID get into the frame.

IMAG6684.thumb.jpg.fc6b506bd1d45f10314cf6b182eff758.jpg

On a positive note, it's not so bad the wood is collapsing and I think like the other damage to the plywood, I've caught this early enough that I shouldn't have to replace the wood.  Doesn't matter anyway, I haven't the skills and resources to be replacing wooden framework so what I'm doing will have to be good enough.  They've only attacked the thin strip of exposed wood between the inner arch and the outer wing and again only where the wood was bare with no protection on it.  I took a screwdriver to the surface to break off the soft chunks hiding the dust/poop beneath, and then liberally scrubbed everything I could get to with a brass brush.  No power tools here since it's wood, I don't want to be reprofiling good material, just getting rid of bad material.  In the process I did evict a couple of bugs so hopefully that will help prevent the spread.  Once it was as cleaned as I could manage it got hit with a couple of coats of woodworm killer and it'll get another dose soon too.  For now it's a case of arresting development of further problems.

In an ideal world, I'd peel the aluminium shell off the affected area, remove the damaged wood sections and replace with new before reassembly.  The trouble is, I'm working outside on the drive and have none of the tools needed to do that sort of in depth work.  I'm not especially thrilled about this discovery, and I know I'm not repairing it 'properly', but it is what it is.  I did also find a small section of rot further along that isn't woodworm damaged, that seems to be caused a long time ago by the rear window leaking so I dealt with that in the same way as the woodworm and will be putting a repair section in there as soon as I have the materials to do so.

I'm hoping I can get away with something like a wood epoxy for the shallower damage and perhaps a couple of small sections of ash glued in (this does seem to be standard repair for minor rot issues) for deeper areas.  The welding on this car has proven to be the easy bit, it's the carpentry that's been the bigger issue for me.

Hazel across the street went out for a meal at a pub. When she walked in she heard a familiar screeching, Mrs from cunts next door. She was very drunk and rowdy. 20 minutes later Mrs CND is punching a man in the head for spilling her pint. Landlord throws her out with your barred. Mrs. CND gets in the range rover sport, loads up her children and speeds off into the night.

So Hazel, what did the cops say when you reported her for drink drive?

Oh, I didn't report it because I didn't know the number to ring. DOH!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Wibble said:

Totally understand your approach and sorry you’ve found more worm damage. Some hardener on the damaged areas after worm treatment might help before filling.

That's the plan.  Ordered myself some syringes for filling the holes with treatment, some wood epoxy, and will be grabbing some wood hardener when I'm next out on errands.  It's all part of the learning experience and since I'm documenting it via Youtube vids, hopefully it'll help others not be so scared of it if they want to venture into motorised sideboards.

Drove into Birmingham in my Euro 4 diesel car so I now owe the council £8. On the plus side, I had a great evening and I knew about the charge before I went. 

Something weird I've found about this car. The reg plates look correct but don't have a BSAU number. ANPR car parks can never read them. I visited Telford hospital regularly to see my father and not once did the ticket machines have a record of my car. Same for other car parks and the same this evening in the Birmingham Bullring car park. So I could probably get away with it, but for the sake of eight quid, I'll pay up 

8 minutes ago, andy18s said:

01 811 8055

Yep, I can still reel that off the top of my head. Can't remember why I walked into the kitchen but I can remember a phone number from 40 years ago that I never used. 

Also, probably a bit more niche, 01 222 1234. London Transport travel enquiries. It was printed on all the pink Private blinds on the buses. To hire a bus or coach... That might just be me though. 

Anybody remember the Father Ted priest chat line without googling it? Me neither. 

Not so much grump as sad.

Called at my mate's yesterday with a birthday gift for his wife.

We used to see them a lot but not much now. My brother lives nearby so I called in to see him - as before used to see him regularly but now only christmas and birthdays.

The conversation felt difficult - stilted - the kind you get when trying to make up with someone even though there has been no falling out between us.

I have noticed many - including me - don't seem to be the same since 2020 - people's lights don't seem to burn as bright.

1 hour ago, Bren said:

I have noticed many - including me - don't seem to be the same since 2020 - people's lights don't seem to burn as bright.

Several people I know, from friends to work colleagues to distant aquaintances have mentioned without prompting that they just can't find any joy in life since Covid. Most recently was a work colleague who loves his shiny things - he'd just traded up his 5 series BMW for an 8 series, something he'd previously be over the moon about. He said about 3 weeks after buying it that while it was a good car, it brought him no enjoyment whatsoever.

I've heard similar from many others, which is a huge shame. I'm not sure what the answer is, only confirming its definitely widespread.

45 minutes ago, Stanky said:

Several people I know, from friends to work colleagues to distant aquaintances have mentioned without prompting that they just can't find any joy in life since Covid. Most recently was a work colleague who loves his shiny things - he'd just traded up his 5 series BMW for an 8 series, something he'd previously be over the moon about. He said about 3 weeks after buying it that while it was a good car, it brought him no enjoyment whatsoever.

I've heard similar from many others, which is a huge shame. I'm not sure what the answer is, only confirming its definitely widespread.

I thought it was just me that felt like this !

I'm not sure it is actually covid related but a general downturn in pretty much everything.

News is all depressing shit. Government is utterly incompetent and the country seems hell bent on shooting itself in the foot.

Even if you aren't skint, it's all you ever hear about.

Strikes. NHS problems, it's all crap.

Say fuck it and go to the pub?

£6.50 a pint, I'll pass thanks.

Go back to around 2012 and team GB were winning things and there was positivity.

16 hours ago, Yoss said:

Yep, I can still reel that off the top of my head. Can't remember why I walked into the kitchen but I can remember a phone number from 40 years ago that I never used. 

Also, probably a bit more niche, 01 222 1234. London Transport travel enquiries. It was printed on all the pink Private blinds on the buses. To hire a bus or coach... That might just be me though. 

Anybody remember the Father Ted priest chat line without googling it? Me neither. 

Yep.
Swap Shop and LT Travel Info. 

and I’m only an occasional visitor to Lunnin. 

it’s mad what you remember from years ago, but can’t find something you put down 5 minutes ago. 

On 3/1/2023 at 12:07 PM, Datsuncog said:

That's our own @richykitchy hosting the video, is it not?

Sobering stuff, all the same.

Interesting that it seems to be low-quality rubber causing many of the issues outlined, rather than E10 fuel per se - which ties in with so many other problems cropping up as aftermarket car parts seem to be of increasingly shoddy quality (see also: distributor condensers that don't work out of the box; clutches that fall apart within a few thousand miles; drop links that are completely shagged within six months).

It me!

On 3/12/2023 at 4:49 PM, Timewaster said:

I'm not sure it is actually covid related but a general downturn in pretty much everything.

News is all depressing shit. Government is utterly incompetent and the country seems hell bent on shooting itself in the foot.

Go back to around 2012 and team GB were winning things and there was positivity.

The 2020s are the new 1970s.

Just remember, don't be born poor or a minority, and you'll be fine.

On 3/12/2023 at 4:49 PM, Timewaster said:

Stay away from the internet and you'll feel a lot better.

On 3/12/2023 at 3:15 PM, Stanky said:

Feeling like this too. Haven't felt overjoyed about much... for a while now.