The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Drove into Birmingham in my Euro 4 diesel car so I now owe the council £8. On the plus side, I had a great evening and I knew about the charge before I went. 

Something weird I've found about this car. The reg plates look correct but don't have a BSAU number. ANPR car parks can never read them. I visited Telford hospital regularly to see my father and not once did the ticket machines have a record of my car. Same for other car parks and the same this evening in the Birmingham Bullring car park. So I could probably get away with it, but for the sake of eight quid, I'll pay up 

8 minutes ago, andy18s said:

01 811 8055

Yep, I can still reel that off the top of my head. Can't remember why I walked into the kitchen but I can remember a phone number from 40 years ago that I never used. 

Also, probably a bit more niche, 01 222 1234. London Transport travel enquiries. It was printed on all the pink Private blinds on the buses. To hire a bus or coach... That might just be me though. 

Anybody remember the Father Ted priest chat line without googling it? Me neither. 

Not so much grump as sad.

Called at my mate's yesterday with a birthday gift for his wife.

We used to see them a lot but not much now. My brother lives nearby so I called in to see him - as before used to see him regularly but now only christmas and birthdays.

The conversation felt difficult - stilted - the kind you get when trying to make up with someone even though there has been no falling out between us.

I have noticed many - including me - don't seem to be the same since 2020 - people's lights don't seem to burn as bright.

1 hour ago, Bren said:

I have noticed many - including me - don't seem to be the same since 2020 - people's lights don't seem to burn as bright.

Several people I know, from friends to work colleagues to distant aquaintances have mentioned without prompting that they just can't find any joy in life since Covid. Most recently was a work colleague who loves his shiny things - he'd just traded up his 5 series BMW for an 8 series, something he'd previously be over the moon about. He said about 3 weeks after buying it that while it was a good car, it brought him no enjoyment whatsoever.

I've heard similar from many others, which is a huge shame. I'm not sure what the answer is, only confirming its definitely widespread.

45 minutes ago, Stanky said:

Several people I know, from friends to work colleagues to distant aquaintances have mentioned without prompting that they just can't find any joy in life since Covid. Most recently was a work colleague who loves his shiny things - he'd just traded up his 5 series BMW for an 8 series, something he'd previously be over the moon about. He said about 3 weeks after buying it that while it was a good car, it brought him no enjoyment whatsoever.

I've heard similar from many others, which is a huge shame. I'm not sure what the answer is, only confirming its definitely widespread.

I thought it was just me that felt like this !

I'm not sure it is actually covid related but a general downturn in pretty much everything.

News is all depressing shit. Government is utterly incompetent and the country seems hell bent on shooting itself in the foot.

Even if you aren't skint, it's all you ever hear about.

Strikes. NHS problems, it's all crap.

Say fuck it and go to the pub?

£6.50 a pint, I'll pass thanks.

Go back to around 2012 and team GB were winning things and there was positivity.

16 hours ago, Yoss said:

Yep, I can still reel that off the top of my head. Can't remember why I walked into the kitchen but I can remember a phone number from 40 years ago that I never used. 

Also, probably a bit more niche, 01 222 1234. London Transport travel enquiries. It was printed on all the pink Private blinds on the buses. To hire a bus or coach... That might just be me though. 

Anybody remember the Father Ted priest chat line without googling it? Me neither. 

Yep.
Swap Shop and LT Travel Info. 

and I’m only an occasional visitor to Lunnin. 

it’s mad what you remember from years ago, but can’t find something you put down 5 minutes ago. 

On 3/1/2023 at 12:07 PM, Datsuncog said:

That's our own @richykitchy hosting the video, is it not?

Sobering stuff, all the same.

Interesting that it seems to be low-quality rubber causing many of the issues outlined, rather than E10 fuel per se - which ties in with so many other problems cropping up as aftermarket car parts seem to be of increasingly shoddy quality (see also: distributor condensers that don't work out of the box; clutches that fall apart within a few thousand miles; drop links that are completely shagged within six months).

It me!

On 3/12/2023 at 4:49 PM, Timewaster said:

I'm not sure it is actually covid related but a general downturn in pretty much everything.

News is all depressing shit. Government is utterly incompetent and the country seems hell bent on shooting itself in the foot.

Go back to around 2012 and team GB were winning things and there was positivity.

The 2020s are the new 1970s.

Just remember, don't be born poor or a minority, and you'll be fine.

On 3/12/2023 at 4:49 PM, Timewaster said:

Stay away from the internet and you'll feel a lot better.

On 3/12/2023 at 3:15 PM, Stanky said:

Feeling like this too. Haven't felt overjoyed about much... for a while now.

1 hour ago, Zelandeth said:

Have an appointment at the tip (ours are still bookings only).

Can. I get out the driveway to go to it?  Nope.  Cars parked across the drive. Again.

Was going to be really clever and recommended some Go Jacks car skates but there like £1200 for a set of 4 😳

1 minute ago, calebaaront said:

My Trabi's MOT is tomorrow and the headlight relay has decided it wants to be sticky. I've taken it off and cleaned and got as much corrosion off as I can but still sticking. Not happy. 

IMG_20230306_180337_906.jpg

Got a photo of the offending item?  Wondering if it might be the same one that was used on the rear engined Skodas.  If so I may well have a spare still sitting around.