The grumpy thread

outlaw118

6 hours ago, Markeh said:

Currys.

I'm after a new headset - the wire on this one keeps getting caught on things in the mess that is my office and if my headset comes ever so slightly unplugged my mic cuts out - and it is pissing me off in calls at work - I finally snapped today after nearly tripping over the wire and went to buy a wireless one. Same price as Amazon but it said click and collect today from a nearby store. Fine, no problem, I needed to head out anyway. Only the email with the receipt on it said 'Estimated delivery - Monday' and lo and behold I've not had the 'it's ready for collection' email. Everything up until me purchasing it said collection today.

I could've had the damn thing off Prime by tomorrow for no extra money without leaving the house. Utter bollocks.

Cancel 

Mrs Lankytim booked some tickets for her and the kids to go to the  local ice skating rink but was immediately told by said kids they didn’t want to go. She rang up 20 mins after booking the tickets online to cancel but was told that it’s not their policy to refund. £50 odd down the pan! Bloody kids. 

4 minutes ago, Lankytim said:

Mrs Lankytim booked some tickets for her and the kids to go to the  local ice skating rink but was immediately told by said kids they didn’t want to go. She rang up 20 mins after booing the tickets online to cancel but was told that it’s not their policy to refund. £50 odd down the pan! Bloody kids. 

Could you and the mrs just go together without the kids? Ice skating is good fun, even better without having to keep an eye on the kids 😅

1 hour ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

I don't know what you've bought @Markehbut my work got me a Jabra Evolve2 65 with the charging stand and it's the nuts.

I'm using it for gaming as well so gone Logitech G535 to replace my existing HyperX Cloud II. Sadly my company's budget will stretch to the cheapest nastiest USB headset.

2 hours ago, Lankytim said:

Mrs Lankytim booked some tickets for her and the kids to go to the  local ice skating rink but was immediately told by said kids they didn’t want to go. She rang up 20 mins after booking the tickets online to cancel but was told that it’s not their policy to refund. £50 odd down the pan! Bloody kids. 

Next time they beg to go somewhere tell them you don't want to take them, maybe then they'll learn not to be so ungrateful.

Firstly..... I cycle..... I do long hauls on occasion too.... My mates and I are off in April on a Trappist beer distillery tour. 

Slight grump - I don't like beer

GRUMP - lanes here are rural to say the least..... 

Just back from Belgo land, all smooth sailing and a happy grin on my boat when I almost ended up in a field. 

2 lane road and pootling at 40....... Around the corner and I kid you not, a full on herd of lycra clad 2 wheelers RIGHT ACROSS THE SODDING ROAD a la Tour De Where-the-fuck-ever.... 

Nowhere to go so just slammed on..... 

Cars behind me also a bit perturbed as they probably usually hit way over 40 and I was already too cautious in their eyes..... (I've seen the Sunday morning brigades before so wasn't taking any chances) 

Cue - Blazing row with chief bearded tosser about the highway code and them being utter goat felchers..... 

Ruined a perfectly pleasant trip back for no reason than dipshittery...... 

Still grinding my teeth.... If I'd have hit any of them..... 

Another in need of fitting a dashcam methinks..... 

4 hours ago, Back_For_More said:

Firstly..... I cycle..... I do long hauls on occasion too.... My mates and I are off in April on a Trappist beer distillery tour. 

Slight grump - I don't like beer

GRUMP - lanes here are rural to say the least..... 

Just back from Belgo land, all smooth sailing and a happy grin on my boat when I almost ended up in a field. 

2 lane road and pootling at 40....... Around the corner and I kid you not, a full on herd of lycra clad 2 wheelers RIGHT ACROSS THE SODDING ROAD a la Tour De Where-the-fuck-ever.... 

Nowhere to go so just slammed on..... 

Cars behind me also a bit perturbed as they probably usually hit way over 40 and I was already too cautious in their eyes..... (I've seen the Sunday morning brigades before so wasn't taking any chances) 

Cue - Blazing row with chief bearded tosser about the highway code and them being utter goat felchers..... 

Ruined a perfectly pleasant trip back for no reason than dipshittery...... 

Still grinding my teeth.... If I'd have hit any of them..... 

Another in need of fitting a dashcam methinks..... 

I am sorry to say but I am confused.

Firstly trappest beer is Brewed in Belgium (note it is not distilled) and there they do not use the highway code.

If you are in Belgium then the rules of the road are different to the UK, and every other part of Europe.

22 minutes ago, Remspoor said:

Firstly trappest beer is Brewed in Belgium (note it is not distilled) and there they do not use the highway code.

If you are in Belgium then the rules of the road are different to the UK, and every other part of Europe.

Back from Belgo land in 4th para, so uk soil?

I've done my best to fit in here over the years, but a couple of things still irk me. Chod & Bork. Whatever Chod may mean, it cannot be interpreted as an old car, no matter how borked it may be. 

Which leads me to borked - from Bob Bork, who was blocked, defamed & vilified but was never broken.

I appreciate that you'll not be giving a fuck, but you'll know. And more importantly, I'll know that you know.

Chod may refer to:

• Chief of Defence, the highest ranked commissioned officer of a nation's armed forces
  • Chöd, a spiritual practice found in certain schools of Tibetan Buddhism
  • CHOD-FM, a Canadian radio station
  • Chöd drum or chöda, a damaru (drum) used in Hinduism and Tibetan Buddhism
  • Chod region (Czech: Chodsko, German: Chodenland), an ethnographical region around Domažlice in West Bohemia, Czech Republic
    • Chodové (sometimes called the Chod people), inhabitants of this region
    • Chod dialect, spoken in this region
  • Ch'od, a fictional character in the Marvel Universe

Robert Heron Bork (March 1, 1927 – December 19, 2012)[1] was an American jurist who served as the solicitor general of the United States from 1973 until 1977. 

According to columnist William Safire, the first published use of "bork" as a verb was possibly in The Atlanta Journal-Constitution of August 20, 1987, two months prior to the final vote: "Let's just hope something enduring results for the justice-to-be, like a new verb: Borked."[42] Perhaps the best-known use of the verb "to bork" occurred in July 1991 at a conference of the National Organization for Women in New York City. Feminist Florynce Kennedy addressed the conference on the importance of defeating the nomination of Clarence Thomas to the U.S. Supreme Court, saying, "We're going to bork him. We're going to kill him politically. This little creep, where did he come from?"[43] Thomas was subsequently confirmed after the most divisive confirmation hearing in Supreme Court history to that point. In March 2002, the Oxford English Dictionary added an entry for the verb "bork" as U.S. political slang, with this definition: "To defame or vilify (a person) systematically, esp. in the mass media, usually to prevent his or her appointment to public office; to obstruct or thwart (a person) in this way."[44] Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh used the term during his own contentious Senate confirmation hearing testimony when he stated that "The behavior of several of the Democratic members of this committee at my hearing a few weeks ago was an embarrassment. But at least it was just a good old-fashioned attempt at borking."

10 hours ago, Remspoor said:

You obviously missed the part.... JUST BACK FROM BELGO LAND.... Easily done.... 

Possibly unaware but I can go back there via  various means of transportation - so easy enough to tour at a later date too..... 

Hope that helps  😉

From "we're going to bork him" you'd easily see that as meaning f*ck him up royally..... Slang terms are not often a direct adoption of the term being used... 

Borked is a well used term for fu**ed.

Chod is a Hindu term for F*ck..... 

Chode - apenis wider than it is long.... 

Could be misspelling of Choad (I thought so way back) meaning uncool.....  and alternative spelling of Chode above. 

It gets confusing sharpish..... 

Ah, that moment when after carefully talking the seller of something through appropriate packing materials and methods, it arrives with absolutely none of them implemented...

In this case at least less of a grump as the item by some miracle survived intact...but seriously, it really gets old.  If you're going to go to the lengths of asking how best to package something for post either just say you're not willing to do it or follow the advice given!

On 04/03/2023 at 13:27, Bren said:

Purchased some injector cleaner for the mondeo.

Cannot add it to the tank because the flap in the filler wont open - I have noticed it can be awkward getting the pump nozzle in when refuelling.

there should be a shewee in the boot for this very purpose

Second day back at work after a week off and I'm already fed up with it again!  Can't have any more time off though because it's manic - we have the usual problem that we always get this time of year that everyone is trying to use up their holiday entitlement before the end of the financial year, but for some reason it seems to be worse than usual this year, not just in the company but with clients as well, which is making it very difficult to get anything done.  And of course being the end of the financial year everyone wants to get their money paid, which would be fine if half the accounts team wasn't on holiday.  

Also this weather can get tae feck.

19 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Second day back at work after a week off and I'm already fed up with it again!  Can't have any more time off though because it's manic - we have the usual problem that we always get this time of year that everyone is trying to use up their holiday entitlement before the end of the financial year, but for some reason it seems to be worse than usual this year, not just in the company but with clients as well, which is making it very difficult to get anything done.  And of course being the end of the financial year everyone wants to get their money paid, which would be fine if half the accounts team wasn't on holiday.  

Also this weather can get tae feck.

Where I work we were sent an email telling us to use up 75% of our entitlement by September as it causes problems when everybody tried to use it up towards the end of the year, which is when the period starts.