The grumpy thread

outlaw118

3 hours ago, iainrcz said:

Just discovered I've been palmed off with Salamol inhalers instead of Ventolin.

They're shite.

Not sure but I think they're delivered differently? Well I know they are, because ones a puff and ones a suck, but they are ingested differently and one is prescribed depending on your requirement? Hence why one type seems less effective for certain people?

At least that's what I was told when I was misdiagnosed as having ashtma many moons ago! 

I've been with one of my insurers for 10 years, they have been reliable and pain free... and today they have just given me a renewal quote of £3620! That's over triple! No claims, no points, and no convictions.

They do state though that I'll probably get a cheaper quote elsewhere... So there is that.

I can sort it. I previously added a car onto an existing classic policy and cancelled the other car but there is no commuting cover in classic so it was changed to a normal policy. The classic policy accumulates zero no claims so the commuting car, now on a normal policy for the last month, has no no claims discount applied.

My other insurer is frustratingly ignorant to contact, and obtaining proof of my 5+ ncd has proven fruitless. So,

A) I need to fuck off the insurer I've been with for 10 years and put the car with the non contactable insurer who I was going to fuck off originally because the car with them is not needed anymore.

Or

B ) take the car off commuting and put it on classic and not accumulate ncd, then my 5+ ncd will hang and expire I guess.

Either way, I shall be spending most, if not all of tomorrow listening to low qwaliti classical phone hold music, not arranging car insurance after the phone cuts off after 45 minutes holding... because I have time for that, oh, and I have a PAYG phone!

This is 2023, shirley there's a better way? Where the fuck do they get these prices from? It's blatant thieving bollocks!

21 hours ago, cobblers said:

I have two hours off to go to the doctors. Two hours

Come back in to work at 11am to find the phone system is down for the 8th time in as many weeks, (it had been playing up a bit yesterday to) so now I have 15 voicemails, mostly angry from customers wanting to know where their stuff is. Lad who works for me decided to start changing the rear diff on his golf on sunday so quite predictably that went to shit and he's not turned up for work for two days and we were behind with stuff anyway.

One  very  angry email from a bloke who had driven all the way up from Ipswich to drop something off and there was nobody in the workshop so he had tried to call us, it went straight to voicemail and he'd assumed he'd wasted his journey.

I can't call these people back because there is barely any phone signal in the workshop and wifi calling/voip doesn't work because the internet connection here drops 30% of packets. We can't install our own phone or internet system because "the business center provides them for you"

The business center is council owned and nobody gives a shit that none of this stuff works. "manager" on reception plods around and seems more interested in forcing people to peel all the sellotape off the cardboard boxes in the recycling bin than making sure dozens of businesses aren't left with no phone system (or even worse, rerouting our phone calls to the wrong fucking business!!) 

I finally rig up the rediculous system required to call people back (park my camper van outside the unit and connect my PC to the wifi from that then use virtual landline to call people) and the second I sit down, the fucking fire alarm starts blaring and everyone is forced to evacuate the business centre.

My unit is at the end of 50m long corridor of workshops that aren't really attached to the rest of the building, (and we don't have smoke or fire alarm sensors), so if there is a fire, it's in another building. So I decide to just sit down and eat my dinner until the fire brigade come and turn the alarm off so I can get some work done.

Que the business centre manager belting on the door forcing me to get out of a building that is next door to a building that isn't on fire.

I'm just sick to death of it, I'm fairly useless but it feels like everything just seems to conspire against me actually getting some fucking work done!!! The bullshit just never seems to end! ARGH!

Why’s his car problem becoming your problem? If I rang my boss saying the car had shit itself they’d not give a rats, I’d better be there on Monday by 8. 

1 hour ago, sierraman said:

Why’s his car problem becoming your problem? If I rang my boss saying the car had shit itself they’d not give a rats, I’d better be there on Monday by 8. 

Exactly this.

Having set fire to one mercedes, the only thing I could do was go out and buy another mercedes so I could do my upcoming work trip.  My fuckup is not my boss's issue.

3 hours ago, MikeR said:

Those attached coke bottle tops ...

Who thought that one up ?

The same people that think up every other environmentally friendly solution*

Infuriate anyone trying to drink the beverage and subsequently encourage them to rip the fucker off entirely and toss it away anywhere else out of frustration!

12 minutes ago, PicantoJon said:

Been sat waiting in car park at aldi and this specimen has been sat there with their reversing lights on... 🙃

20230222_175837.thumb.jpg.4bcd83c5e8ee08f35eb64a1c0cc41769.jpg

Probably thought they've put it in park but are too busy distracted on their phone or something hence holding the brake anyway!

I've had a proper shit day. Got a stinking cold from sprog. Said sprog (18 months old) took the screen protector off my phone at the weekend. It dropped out of my pocket getting out of the car earlier, and the screen shattered. Arse.

My very high end work desktop (bought from my research grant) shat it's graphics card last month. Repaired under warranty. Re-imaged because 'you're now back on site'. No longer have admin rights and everything stored in OneDrive/ cloud server. So that fucking works well for a) sensitive clinical records, and b) anything command line/ bash/ etc coding. Spent all day trying to get Git to work. Does it bollocks.

Seem to have cracked a tooth.

Fuck it all.

52 minutes ago, Coprolalia said:

That isn't normal for whiplash. Have you had it checked out?

(Speaking as resident quack, not constituting actual medical advice etc etc)

It's been an occasional thing for the last three weeks but since my last physio appointment (yesterday) it's permanent. Going to look into it.  

bloody passport office.

While I was of the belief that I needed a passport to travel to Ireland, I booked in for a 1-week fast service.  Having realised that not only will that still not get to me in time, but also I don't actually need a passport to travel to Ireland (unless an airline insists on it), I thought it best to cancel the appointment.

The appointment was for 09:45 on Saturday 25th.  I phoned up just now, at 09:52.  Got held in their menu system for a minute or two, then on hold for another minute or two.  Finally get through to a bod and explain.  Initially he gives me some waffle that it has to be 2 clear working days to cancel without a charge.  I query this as the website info says 48hrs.  He then confirms that it's less than 48hrs, so there will be a £30 cancellation charge that will come off the refund.  He looks up the time I got through to him and confirmed that I was 13 minutes over.  13 bastard minutes.  I can't even re-schedule now, as it's less than 48hrs.  The only options are to come to the appointment, cancel with a £30 fee, or not turn up at all and get walloped for the full cost (which is far enough.. missed appointments are a pain).

I do, of course, still need a passport, but there's no urgency any more, so I may as well use their standard service at £85-ish, so even though I'll lose £30, it still makes sense to do so, as the faster service was £155.

£30 for 13 minutes over.  Cheeky fuckers.  I know they are the passport office, so by definition have to be straight-down-the-line and extremely officious, but that's just bloody rude.  What's really annoying is that you *know* that they'll re-sell the appointment online and not lose a penny.

:ssch00101:

11 minutes ago, Talbot said:

bloody passport office.

While I was of the belief that I needed a passport to travel to Ireland, I booked in for a 1-week fast service.  Having realised that not only will that still not get to me in time, but also I don't actually need a passport to travel to Ireland (unless an airline insists on it), I thought it best to cancel the appointment.

The appointment was for 09:45 on Saturday 25th.  I phoned up just now, at 09:52.  Got held in their menu system for a minute or two, then on hold for another minute or two.  Finally get through to a bod and explain.  Initially he gives me some waffle that it has to be 2 clear working days to cancel without a charge.  I query this as the website info says 48hrs.  He then confirms that it's less than 48hrs, so there will be a £30 cancellation charge that will come off the refund.  He looks up the time I got through to him and confirmed that I was 13 minutes over.  13 bastard minutes.  I can't even re-schedule now, as it's less than 48hrs.  The only options are to come to the appointment, cancel with a £30 fee, or not turn up at all and get walloped for the full cost (which is far enough.. missed appointments are a pain).

I do, of course, still need a passport, but there's no urgency any more, so I may as well use their standard service at £85-ish, so even though I'll lose £30, it still makes sense to do so, as the faster service was £155.

£30 for 13 minutes over.  Cheeky fuckers.  I know they are the passport office, so by definition have to be straight-down-the-line and extremely officious, but that's just bloody rude.  What's really annoying is that you *know* that they'll re-sell the appointment online and not lose a penny.

:ssch00101:

Write to them explaining that you phoned in time but the wait to get through took you under the 48hrs, they might refund it.

A few years ago , they made a mistake with my wife’s passport which we only noticed 2 days before travelling. We had to get to be first in the queue next morning to stand any chance and the passport office was 100 miles away. So we got a hotel nearby and got in there as the doors opened, passport reissued and of on hold next day.

When we returned I told them I wanted reimbursing for the hotel , 200 miles travel and just for the hell of it said the stress of it all ruined the first few days of our holiday and wanted them to pay 3/14ths of the cost. 
Result ,cheque for £550.

18 hours ago, MikeR said:

trip home presented us with a car T boned on the drivers side by a single decker bus on a straight bit of road ...   SMIDNSY ????

anyway the car is scrap , both off side wheels were under the bus ......

Sorry what ?  Are you okay? Pictures, medical report etc. 

A women passes by our house everyday to walk her dog. The wife and I have made friends with the woman and pet.

She was going to London on vacation for a few days vacation .Asked what would I like to be brought back. I said tea is always a good choice.I  suggested PGTips. Today she brought me the present. Tea bags. Not PG Tips but Twinings. Great even better. The gripe is.....they are now making the tea bags in Poland. The Brits don't even make the best* tea in the world  now

Paid £8k for a completely new bathroom including a £400 Mira Azora waterfall shower back in September.

They did a great job and the shower was fantastic.

Until this morning when it shat itself. Had power to the unit as the switch lit up but when depressed no water would appear.

Took the front off and checked the solenoid for continuity. Nothing.

So no showers until the Mira engineer comes out on Tuesday. Six fecking months it lasted. Anyway, I'm going to get him to show me how to replace the solenoid on this unit as no doubt it will go again as soon as the warranty expires.