The grumpy thread

outlaw118

2 hours ago, cobblers said:

A lad I used to work with once went out with a girl called Tyler Turner, I found this absolutely hilarious for some reason.

Then he said they split up because she cheated on him with a lad called Tyler Tailor.

Tyler Tailor's best mate was a lad called Tyler Turner. 

even now, nearly ten years later it confuses me

A bit of a tinker, that one...

8 hours ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

What about one of those FM transmitter doowhacky things that you plug into the fag lighter?

8 hours ago, adw1977 said:

You can get a CD player that is a low power FM transmitter to allow you to tune your car radio to it.  I assume that's what @AnnoyingPentium had in mind.

Ooh, I thought it was one of the Bluetooth things where you send music from your phone and then tune the device to the radio of the car. 

Didn't realize they do CD versions, anybody have a link? :)

11 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Ooh, I thought it was one of the Bluetooth things where you send music from your phone and then tune the device to the radio of the car. 

Didn't realize they do CD versions, anybody have a link? :)

quite handy to rip the cd s to mp3 files and put them on a SD card , then your cd's can be left safe at home away from damage , prying eyes and to make some space !!

Four months ago some timewasting tosser went all keyboard warrior slagging us off on Google. I posted it on here where he cancelled a booked MoT on the day. Then the rearranged MoT was cancelled leaving a message at 1 in the morning. When he phoned again I told him I didn't want his business and put the phone down.

Yesterday I was surfing the net , like you do, when I came across a picture of his Mazda MX-5. The numberplate was in view so I checked. Well wouldn't you know, a car whose MoT ran out in 2016 four months after booking it in with me is still out of test. No keeper change either. Just proves my point that he would have not turned up to any other oppointment and more than likely cancelled on the day like the two times before. I feel like adding to my reply like he did when I replied to his slagging off but that might put the whole thing as the most recent review.

On 2/19/2023 at 4:05 PM, RoverFolkUs said:

Focus has decided it no longer wants to accept CDs, so I'm now driving around sans tunes.. I can't be fucked installing some aftermarket head unit, nor purchasing the removal keys to have a gander at why it's just spitting them straight out again. So it's now a case of listening to the rear brake that has started making that irritating noise for the umpteenth time... Or Heart FM, neither of which greatly appeal

And to top it off, it started running a bit lumpy sitting in traffic, so I'm obviously fully expecting the EML to illuminate in due course in order to subsequently relieve me of £50 for a coil pack. 

#fun :(

So what I can describe as an antidote to a twist of fate, the CD player has started working, the mysterious brake noise has fixed* itself and it was running as smooth as ever this afternoon 🤔

What's the chances off all 3 faults appearing then disappearing at once!?

3 minutes ago, adw1977 said:

Amazon

1 minute ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Thank you, never knew such things existed. Typically, the headunit seems to have fixed* itself now anyway! 🤷

Likewise, didn't know these were a thing actually. I was referring to the other ones earlier with the aux 3.5mm input on them (so you could plug in a CD player). I don't need one of these anyway, got one of those dashboard mount CD players. :lol:

Washing machine is beyond economic repair.  Motor is fscked (field winding is open circuit) and there's a bit of play in the drum bearing so that would really want doing while I'm in there and it's plainly not designed to be replaced.  I can see there's areas of the controller PCB that have got hot enough to discolour the board as well so wouldn't want to guarantee the continued longevity of that either.  At the end of the day we've had it s minimum of eleven years and I don't think until today I've ever had the back cover off, so can't really complain too much.

Still bloody annoying though!

6 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Washing machine is beyond economic repair.  Motor is fscked (field winding is open circuit) and there's a bit of play in the drum bearing so that would really want doing while I'm in there and it's plainly not designed to be replaced.  I can see there's areas of the controller PCB that have got hot enough to discolour the board as well so wouldn't want to guarantee the continued longevity of that either.  At the end of the day we've had it s minimum of eleven years and I don't think until today I've ever had the back cover off, so can't really complain too much.

Still bloody annoying though!

is it a universal motor? might be worth saving if it has any brushes left, put power directly to them via Variac and crank it up until commutator bars are flying everywhere :)

always wanted to do that myself, but never have had the opportunity to do so!

I have two hours off to go to the doctors. Two hours

Come back in to work at 11am to find the phone system is down for the 8th time in as many weeks, (it had been playing up a bit yesterday to) so now I have 15 voicemails, mostly angry from customers wanting to know where their stuff is. Lad who works for me decided to start changing the rear diff on his golf on sunday so quite predictably that went to shit and he's not turned up for work for two days and we were behind with stuff anyway.

One  very  angry email from a bloke who had driven all the way up from Ipswich to drop something off and there was nobody in the workshop so he had tried to call us, it went straight to voicemail and he'd assumed he'd wasted his journey.

I can't call these people back because there is barely any phone signal in the workshop and wifi calling/voip doesn't work because the internet connection here drops 30% of packets. We can't install our own phone or internet system because "the business center provides them for you"

The business center is council owned and nobody gives a shit that none of this stuff works. "manager" on reception plods around and seems more interested in forcing people to peel all the sellotape off the cardboard boxes in the recycling bin than making sure dozens of businesses aren't left with no phone system (or even worse, rerouting our phone calls to the wrong fucking business!!) 

I finally rig up the rediculous system required to call people back (park my camper van outside the unit and connect my PC to the wifi from that then use virtual landline to call people) and the second I sit down, the fucking fire alarm starts blaring and everyone is forced to evacuate the business centre.

My unit is at the end of 50m long corridor of workshops that aren't really attached to the rest of the building, (and we don't have smoke or fire alarm sensors), so if there is a fire, it's in another building. So I decide to just sit down and eat my dinner until the fire brigade come and turn the alarm off so I can get some work done.

Que the business centre manager belting on the door forcing me to get out of a building that is next door to a building that isn't on fire.

I'm just sick to death of it, I'm fairly useless but it feels like everything just seems to conspire against me actually getting some fucking work done!!! The bullshit just never seems to end! ARGH!