The grumpy thread

outlaw118

8 minutes ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

I once sliced my thumb open on a first aid box.  The real irony is that the contents were out of date, so I couldn't use them...

I nicked my hand with a sharp axe at my mother-in-law's house a few years ago. Like all cuts from a very sharp blade, it did nothing to begin with and then suddenly pissed out blood. We got the first aid kit out, and then discovered that it had expired before their communist government had in 1989... We used Vodka from the freezer to disinfect it instead 🤣

After about an hour I gave up on finding any of the sets of feeler guages in the garage.  There must be at least four in there, but they're all hiding apparently.

Figured "No problem, I'll just drop by somewhere and grab a new set."

Nine separate shops later, nope!  Have given in and ordered a couple of sets off Amazon.  Which I'd rather not do, but having basically wasted an entire sodding afternoon on this now I had just run out of patience.

1 hour ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

I once sliced my thumb open on a first aid box.  The real irony is that the contents were out of date, so I couldn't use them...

I can’t laugh. I managed to faint in a First Aid class and woke up surrounded by 50 student nurses raring to practice. 

Bonus: I didn’t need to buy a drink at the after class pub crawl. 

1 hour ago, Rust Collector said:

I nicked my hand with a sharp axe at my mother-in-law's house a few years ago. Like all cuts from a very sharp blade, it did nothing to begin with and then suddenly pissed out blood. We got the first aid kit out, and then discovered that it had expired before their communist government had in 1989... We used Vodka from the freezer to disinfect it instead 🤣

I have an ice cream tub in my car containing the first aid kit.  The contents are mostly fine to use in an emergency but the tub itself is from 1997.  I remember my Gran using it when I was about nine.  I'm never getting rid of it.

1 hour ago, Zelandeth said:

After about an hour I gave up on finding any of the sets of feeler guages in the garage.  There must be at least four in there, but they're all hiding apparently.

Nine separate shops later, nope!  Have given in and ordered a couple of sets off Amazon.  Which I'd rather not do, but having basically wasted an entire sodding afternoon on this now I had just run out of patience.

Did you try Halfords? Machine Mart? They'd be my first ports of call. 

1 hour ago, Zelandeth said:

I'll wager that if you go into the garage first thing tomorrow you'll find one almost straightaway. The law of Sod.

2 hours ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

What I don't get is how a bandage can expire? Creams yes, plasters maybe (though they shouldn't be in there anyway and I've found 10yo ones to work fine), but bandages?

14 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

What I don't get is how a bandage can expire? Creams yes, plasters maybe (though they shouldn't be in there anyway and I've found 10yo ones to work fine), but bandages?

Stuff has to go out of date otherwise people would never replace anything, one of my team looks after the first aid boxes for the local authority we work for, we throw hundreds of pounds worth of bandages and plasters away regularly because they are out of date, when in reality there is nothing wrong with them.

I have just signed off the disposal of 50,000 covid test kits (20 tests per box) as they are out of date, they cost a LOT of (council tax payers) money!

23 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

It's the sterility that can't be guaranteed after x number of years incase the adhesive of the packing has dried out/been compromised

I agree, utter lunacy and I'm not throwing away a bandage or plaster because it says it's out of date :)

4 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

RS, Listers and Kaiser and Craft 

Bought 2 sets at work one imperial one metric. 

6 hours ago, omegod said:

I knew I'd missed paying a toll on the M50 during a trip to Ireland in November but thought I'd gotten away with it, innocuous looking letter arrived today which promptly sliced into my finger as I pulled it out, Fecker's caught me good.  

scousers trying to get away with it again :D

8 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Yes (X2), yes, B&Q, Motorserv, GSF, Toolstation (X2), Screwfix, Homebase and one independent down in Bletchley I've now forgotten the name of.

Last time I used any must have been about 10 years ago, when I fitted a new cylinder head to an Endura engined Fiesta. I bought a new set from a motor spares place that was closing down. I dug them out a while back, planning to adjust the valve clearance (tappets?) on the 25.I'd even bought a new gasket. I must make sure I don't lose them! 

Central heating has packed up, found a wire dangling off the back of the ignition switch so I'll have a look tomorrow 

Fire on, oil rads on the go 

I'll ever understand women, I'm fucking about with the boiler in the garage having had to move a ton of crap to get at it  when a head appears round the door 

Do you want to go shopping 

1 hour ago, Wack said:

Central heating has packed up, found a wire dangling off the back of the ignition switch so I'll have a look tomorrow 

Fire on, oil rads on the go 

I'll ever understand women, I'm fucking about with the boiler in the garage having had to move a ton of crap to get at it  when a head appears round the door 

Do you want to go shopping 

I should point out she does have form for this 

Last year I decided to clean the roof on the motorhome, got the step ladder out, hose, car wash brush, took it all up, just got started 

Front door opened, can we go shopping 

Are you taking the piss 

Old Git Moans... Thursday I was gaily googling for the prices of new tumble dryers, as ours has thrown a wobbly... and my laptop suddenly stopped and threw up messages allegedly from Microsoft telling me to call a number to fix whatever it was.  Clearly, a virus.  So I took it straight down town to a trusted repair shop, and finally got it back this afternoon.  £59 that virus has cost me.  Fucking arseholes.

Two whole evenings without the internet!  Bloody hell, that's torture these days.

Thought I’d been really clever buying a “well used but full working order” DJI Mini 2 drone from MPB for about half the price of a new one. I’ll crash it anyway so a bit of superficial damage won’t really matter, right?  A Cat C drone, if you will. 

Wrong. Gimbal is fucked so it shakes like a shitting dog, ruining any video. Useless. 

Just hope they take it back! 

3 hours ago, eddyramrod said:

Old Git Moans... Thursday I was gaily googling for the prices of new tumble dryers, as ours has thrown a wobbly... and my laptop suddenly stopped and threw up messages allegedly from Microsoft telling me to call a number to fix whatever it was.  Clearly, a virus.  So I took it straight down town to a trusted repair shop, and finally got it back this afternoon.  £59 that virus has cost me.  Fucking arseholes.

Two whole evenings without the internet!  Bloody hell, that's torture these days.

Malwarebytes, premium £30 a year for real time protection or free for ad-hoc scanning and quarantining of malware. 

Well worth installing the free one

Fuck me, £60 to delete a virus :(

On 2/10/2023 at 5:37 PM, Zelandeth said:

Apparently it's warm enough again for the fscking ice cream vans to be out again.  I have not missed that bloody off-key distorted, jangling racket circling us all sodding day.

At least they could have it be in tune, would make it immeasurably less irritating!

I get them all year round. I have genuinely seen them outside my house while it was snowing. I've also seen it outside on a December weeknight at 8pm. I think other than buying the people helping me move in some ice creams I've never seen anyone buy ice cream from that van - I did however see someone leave with a bag of something and a 2L bottle of Pepsi. Often wondered if its a front.

1 hour ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Malwarebytes, premium £30 a year for real time protection or free for ad-hoc scanning and quarantining of malware. 

Well worth installing the free one

Fuck me, £60 to delete a virus :(

Another vote for Malwarebytes here, it's one of the better ones out there - although I've not used anything special since getting rid of Avast about 10 years ago!

If that's from a legit repair shop, I don't think £60 is too horrific. 

3 minutes ago, Markeh said:

I get them all year round. I have genuinely seen them outside my house while it was snowing. I've also seen it outside on a December weeknight at 8pm. I think other than buying the people helping me move in some ice creams I've never seen anyone buy ice cream from that van - I did however see someone leave with a bag of something and a 2L bottle of Pepsi. Often wondered if its a front.

Cash business.  Perfect laundry.

Also drug sales.