The grumpy thread

outlaw118

3 hours ago, omegod said:

You won't shite for a week or at least I don't, anesthetics fuck me up royally. Don't rush back to work 

I've just had the misfortune to drive through Leeds for the first time, what a shithole with the craziest roads 

Been signed off for a fortnight. 

I'm meant to have another operation on the 22nd where I'm also expected to be signed off for a fortnight. 😂

I'm gonna reschedule that one until its warmer as after this operation I'm not able to go mountain biking whilst recovering from that one which was my original plan. 

Yeah, not pooped yet. Peeing was odd at first. 3 seconds on, 3 seconds off, 3 seconds on, 3 seconds off and so on for a couple of minutes. 

Thought it was just the first one but did it for the next two as well. 

Seems okay now though thankfully but was definitely an odd one. 

Regarding Leeds, it was lucky I was at the top of town when you picked the Rover up from me. I drove into town recently and it took me 25 minutes to get 4 streets away from my destination 13 miles away and another 20 minutes to do the rest, most of which was one street but the only road I could actually take. 

A mother of a friend died yesterday. The local WhatsApp group notified us.

Went along to the tanatorio (funeral home) at 8.30 last night. There was mother lying in state behind glass. I do not like that, not that I am squeamish.

Funeral today at 4.30. Mother died at around noon yesterday.
My god they are not even cold and into the grave you go.

A very different world is this Spain.

1 hour ago, Remspoor said:

Went along to the tanatorio (funeral home) at 8.30 last night. There was mother lying in state behind glass. I do not like that, not that I am squeamish.

It's 3 days here in Bulgaria,just long enough to sign the multitude of paperwork. 

1 hour ago, Remspoor said:

It was the sensible thing to do in Spain in the days before refrigeration. 

Here in Ireland it's usually 3 days.

FFS

Bad day yesterday

I'd been to the chip shop, shared fish & chips with the wife, took her half in , put mine on a plate and a tray, walking into the living room it slipped off the tray, fell behind the side table and splattered up the wall. 

Fucking great, obviously Mrs Wack though it was hilarious, especially the part where she tipped a whole pot of curry over hers knowing I don't like it so I couldn't nick any of it 

Double post 

Took the new to me 1.0 turbo smart car to the garage this morning, engine was a bit lumpy on tickover and the brakes pull to one side

It's only done 6000 miles in the last 5 years, turned out to be a sticky caliper &  spark plugs 

The tyres look new, it was pissing it down when I went to look at it when I bought it so I only checked the tread 

On the ramp all 4 are fucked, cracked on the sidewalls, £300, bollocks 

15 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Indeed.  A family friend died on Boxing Day - his funeral is this Wednesday.

Its grim as the close family have to go through the grieving process all over again. Sets you back several stages. 

If you're Jewish they do funerals quite quickly don't they. Think other religions are maybe similar as there are strict rules around the funeral process.

Maybe convert to Hinduism when you get older for the benefit of your family. 

15 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Indeed.  A family friend died on Boxing Day - his funeral is this Wednesday.

My youngest daughter's employers father was killed in a road accident in December.  Funeral in two weeks from now.

Daughter works for a funeral director but the funeral is being done by another company as the father lived 250 miles away.

14 hours ago, Wack said:

Double post 

Took the new to me 1.0 turbo smart car to the garage this morning, engine was a bit lumpy on tickover and the brakes pull to one side

It's only done 6000 miles in the last 5 years, turned out to be a sticky caliper &  spark plugs 

The tyres look new, it was pissing it down when I went to look at it when I bought it so I only checked the tread 

On the ramp all 4 are fucked, cracked on the sidewalls, £300, bollocks 

Don't mean to add to your woes but I'm sure those smarts suffer from valve problems which wets the plugs and cause misfires, i'd want to do a compression test before spending £300 on tyres!

17 hours ago, Remspoor said:

Yup, my wifes friends grandad died in december (carked it in the passenger seat of the car on the way to a hospital for a checkup, she pulled up in the carpark and realised he was brown bread!) And the funeral is not for another fortnight. Seems odd to me.

58 minutes ago, cobblers said:

Don't mean to add to your woes but I'm sure those smarts suffer from valve problems which wets the plugs and cause misfires, i'd want to do a compression test before spending £300 on tyres!

74497153_Screenshot_20230205_141539_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.b93d461ade9b489514e3c94e1b3ea9a0.jpg

This one is a 451 which  has the 1.0 turbo mitsubishi engine, is that the one you're thinking of 

The other one I have is the 450 with the 700cc turbo that usually explodes at 70k 

Just now, Wack said:

74497153_Screenshot_20230205_141539_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.b93d461ade9b489514e3c94e1b3ea9a0.jpg

This one is a 451 which  has the 1.0 turbo mitsubishi engine, is that the one you're thinking of 

The other one I have is the 450 with the 700cc turbo that usually explodes at 70k 

Yeah it's the early one I was thinking of, I went to look at three of the 70cc ones a few years ago and all three of them were misfiring...

13 minutes ago, cobblers said:

Yeah it's the early one I was thinking of, I went to look at three of the 70cc ones a few years ago and all three of them were misfiring...

The other one I have has been OK engine wise but its only done 56k 

The lakes , over rated imho , any way we had a trip to Ambleside yesterday morning for her joy as it was only some 40 mins from the van  , it was ok , got parked up , it got busy as it does as the morning went on , the village idiot was doing wheelies down hill against the flow of traffic , I watched in hope , then after some shopping we headed back for dinner and saw the traffic heading in , it was bumper to bumper ,of course the unattended road works between Ambleside and Windermere , the tractor struggling up the hill with some 600 cars crawling behind it ...

We get home and the local NT car parks are closed off due to being full .. 

Nothing changes .

3 minutes ago, MikeR said:

The lakes , over rated imho , any way we had a trip to Ambleside yesterday morning for her joy as it was only some 40 mins from the van  , it was ok , got parked up , it got busy as it does as the morning went on , the village idiot was doing wheelies down hill against the flow of traffic , I watched in hope , then after some shopping we headed back for dinner and saw the traffic heading in , it was bumper to bumper ,of course the unattended road works between Ambleside and Windermere , the tractor struggling up the hill with some 600 cars crawling behind it ...

Nothing changes .

I like the lakes, but the out of the way secluded places are best. Ambleside best avoided.  Eg buttermere and crumock water.

F9F51FD8-6EFE-4952-86E8-CE7DF7B6A2CE.jpeg

Since I’m in the grumpy thread….had to send stamps off last month to exchange them for huge modern monstrosities. Did it in three lots so we didn’t loose everything. About £250 all together. Why it wasn’t possible to walk into a post office with them I don’t know.

anyway, two of them came back ok ( eg 117 2nd class in one envelope, and a few hundred 1p, 2 and 5p etc, ) but the 99 large seconds got returned as 99 first class. Paperwork is correct though.  I feel aggrieved that they’ve swindled me out of £10! We also use large seconds a lot.

My trusty 52" Sony, all singing and dancing television that I picked up for free off Facebook for £notalot just before lockdown has sadly passed away this evening :(

It was a top of the range telly in its day, costing £3000 in 2011 

And it's picture quality was actually decent and arguably better in some ways than the LG OLED I have in the main room. 

Will I find anything anywhere near as decent to replace it? Probably not. 

If I bought a brand new replacement, would it last 12 years like this one? Probably not. 

Is it worth repairing this one? Probably not. 

Can hardly grumble, it's done well for a freebie. I'm just annoyed because it was such a brilliant telly. It was Full HD, which is better than 4K in my opinion unless you're actually watching 4K content, which I don't. 

7 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

My trusty 52" Sony, all singing and dancing television that I picked up for free off Facebook for £notalot just before lockdown has sadly passed away this evening :(

It was a top of the range telly in its day, costing £3000 in 2011 

And it's picture quality was actually decent and arguably better in some ways than the LG OLED I have in the main room. 

Will I find anything anywhere near as decent to replace it? Probably not. 

If I bought a brand new replacement, would it last 12 years like this one? Probably not. 

Is it worth repairing this one? Probably not. 

Can hardly grumble, it's done well for a freebie. I'm just annoyed because it was such a brilliant telly. It was Full HD, which is better than 4K in my opinion unless you're actually watching 4K content, which I don't. 

What's it doing?  Unless the panel drivers themselves have died it's most likely to just be capacitors in the power supply having got cooked and to be entirely fixable.

18 hours ago, MikeR said:

Nothing changes .

As with anywhere, people ruin it. If you go to the popular places on a busy day then it is inevitably going to be a fucking nightmare.

We live about a mile from Curbar Edge. Sunny weekend? Fuck that. Can't get anywhere near it, it's literally swarming with fairweather arseholes from sheffield with their dogs running round off the leads, chucking litter all over, car parks are full, all the roads are snarled up with people parked up the verges etc etc.

Go up there on a cold sunday or a weekday evening and it's beautiful and peaceful. End of last summer I went up there one friday after work and stayed the night, pitched up with a view looking over the main edge path and after 6:30pm there wasn't a soul, had the place to myself.

5 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

What's it doing?  Unless the panel drivers themselves have died it's most likely to just be capacitors in the power supply having got cooked and to be entirely fixable.

Yes I suppose it will be worth having a look if it does just end up being a capacitor 

According to the internet, it's pointing towards backlight failure though.

It'll switch on, stay on for an unspecified amount of time and then "click off" completely dead and the red led will flash 6 times. 

It then won't turn on until unplugging it them plugging it in again. No real pattern, it seems to last between 10 seconds and 10 minutes before doing it

Sometimes the screen will dim slightly before it cuts out

21 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Yes I suppose it will be worth having a look if it does just end up being a capacitor 

According to the internet, it's pointing towards backlight failure though.

It'll switch on, stay on for an unspecified amount of time and then "click off" completely dead and the red led will flash 6 times. 

It then won't turn on until unplugging it them plugging it in again. No real pattern, it seems to last between 10 seconds and 10 minutes before doing it

Sometimes the screen will dim slightly before it cuts out

That does sound slightly more sinister, though exactly the same fault can cause havoc on the backlight driver board (which is essentially just a high voltage switching power supply), so look for any obviously fried caps there too.

If the lamps(s) have failed though it's probably game over.  While they are theoretically replaceable if you can find spares, it's usually a gigantic pain getting the panel apart far enough to get to them - and even more so to get everything back together again.  

I'd probably try it if I were me, just because I don't like being beaten though!

3 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

That does sound slightly more sinister, though exactly the same fault can cause havoc on the backlight driver board (which is essentially just a high voltage switching power supply), so look for any obviously fried caps there too.

If the lamps(s) have failed though it's probably game over.  While they are theoretically replaceable if you can find spares, it's usually a gigantic pain getting the panel apart far enough to get to them - and even more so to get everything back together again.  

I'd probably try it if I were me, just because I don't like being beaten though!

Thank you for the info,

I'll take a closer look for sure, but yeah, it's a full array local dimming backlight (very advanced for its time) and I don't fancy trying to separate the LCD. 

I can't imagine I'd be able to find brand new parts either so it would be a case of fitting unknown second hand ones, unless it simply component failure on a board which would be a much more viable repair

Failing that I could probably put the stand and remote control on eBay and recoup a little bit towards a replacement. And save them from going in the bin.

I hate throwing things away but I begin to question how much of my time I can allocate to a 12 year old television!