The grumpy thread

outlaw118

27 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Today can get in the sea.  Nothing car related, but absolutely everything I've tried to do today has absolutely fought me.

Plus we now have the in-laws staying (they're looking after the house for us over the weekend), so I'm now trying to get everything organised while my thoughts are being continually drowned out by menial quiz shows at 83756583dB on the TV and the absolutely choking reek of cigarette smoke.  Neither of these factors are doing anything to improve my mood.

I'm about where I'd hoped to be about 1500 this afternoon, have a load of crap still to do but am rapidly running out of energy - and have a six plus hour drive tomorrow so need to not overdo it today.  Argh.

Why are you letting them smoke in the house? Fuck that.

Spoke to my dad on the phone earlier and he told me that someone had side swiped his car in Tesco Car park and fucked off. Theres a big grey scuff right down both offside doors so he says. I'll get a look at it on Saturday night but it sounds like a bodyshop job.

Some people eh.

8 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

Spoke to my dad on the phone earlier and he told me that someone had side swiped his car in Tesco Car park and fucked off. Theres a big grey scuff right down both offside doors so he says. I'll get a look at it on Saturday night but it sounds like a bodyshop job.

Some people eh.

Worth speaking to Tesco, they will have CCTV plus probably ANPR on the car park to stop people overstaying. Whether they’ll release that to your car insurance on the other hand. 

1 hour ago, sierraman said:

I’m a good few million behind Sting so apart from a collection of tools and a clapped out Focus I’ve not got a lot to leave them. I do hear a lot of people hope upon receiving a windfall when said relative carks it which doesn’t sit right with me. It’s no good living your life on the off chance you get left something, after all you’ve nothing to work for if it’s handed to you on a plate? 

A kitchen fitter, told me, that he reckoned, 50% of kitchens (where the home owner hasn't recently moved in) are paid for by an inheritance. 

3 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

Some people eh.

About 10 years ago somebody did that to my prelude. I parked in a space with nobody either side of me, went in to grab milk, came back out and some bastard had creased the car on the passenger side from the rear arch to the front arch and then immediately fucked off. Asked the store about CCTV footage and got the polite equivalent of ‘no, fuck off’.

I feel sorry for your dad, it’s gutting.

He's not a car person a such but whenever his car has been bumped before he's always really annoyed about it, understandably.

Its a decent car too, a 2017 Volvo V40 Crosscountry 2.0 diesel. Not like my old cars where you can just go on ebay and get 2 doors for £100 or so.  Thankfully they have a decent bodyshop just down the road who does smaller jobs like this. They made a good job of my mum's Corsa when a similar incident happened.

I'm still hoping that when I see it that the grey scuff is in fact paint transfer and I can cut it out with the DA.

4 hours ago, sierraman said:

Worth speaking to Tesco, they will have CCTV plus probably ANPR on the car park to stop people overstaying. Whether they’ll release that to your car insurance on the other hand. 

If there's footage you have a legal right to a copy of any that may include you.

12 hours ago, sierraman said:

I’m a good few million behind Sting so apart from a collection of tools and a clapped out Focus I’ve not got a lot to leave them. I do hear a lot of people hope upon receiving a windfall when said relative carks it which doesn’t sit right with me. It’s no good living your life on the off chance you get left something, after all you’ve nothing to work for if it’s handed to you on a plate? 

My BiL is like that.  Father was a partner at one of the big law firms, boarding schools, etc. etc.  Since becoming an adult been gifted sufficient cash and property to not have to work but it's left him (and them, wife's sister also hasn't worked in years) completely directionless and not very happy.  They've now put their own kids in boarding school (at grandfather's expense) and sit about doing nothing not even looking after their own kids. 

It's sad, but they're also insufferable twats so I don't feel that bad.

46 minutes ago, cort1977 said:

My BiL is like that.  Father was a partner at one of the big law firms, boarding schools, etc. etc.  Since becoming an adult been gifted sufficient cash and property to not have to work but it's left him (and them, wife's sister also hasn't worked in years) completely directionless and not very happy.  They've now put their own kids in boarding school (at grandfather's expense) and sit about doing nothing not even looking after their own kids. 

I don’t think it’s very good for you to have nothing to work for, you just wouldn’t appreciate it. It’s a difficult concept to get your head round when the alarm goes off again at 6:30 but what drives you mad drives you on I guess. 

6 hours ago, cort1977 said:

I remember reading an interview years ago with some bazillionaire or other (I don't remember who it was) who said that they intended to leave their kids "enough money that they can do anything, but not enough that they can do nothing".  I thought that was a pretty good approach.

12 hours ago, somewhatfoolish said:

If there's footage you have a legal right to a copy of any that may include you.

Unfortunately it's murky waters because they cannot share it if there are other people in the footage who cannot be edited out or obfuscated. 

Therefore the offender's identity would have to be obfuscated, or the footage withheld if they cannot be easily blurred out. 

Would also be difficult to obtain the number plate, it falls under GDPR so you'd have to prove it's to persue criminal activity (leaving the scene of an accident, yes) but that's difficult to say so if you're a private individual. 

I know my local Tesco flat out will not give out CCTV

A number plate is not relevant to GDPR, you cannot identify an individual from it. Report them to the information commissioner and lodge a formal request to see the footage, unless the carpark was like a saturday at a football match It's bullshit they cannot comply with the rules in 2023.

Speeding ticket received today. 

72mph on the A64 dual carriageway from a mobile camera between Leeds and York.

Turns out the works van (Ford Connect) oddly falls into the commercial vehicle category, so 60mph limit rather than 70mph. .  Asshats.  (A Connect Tourneo - MPV can do 70mph though!!)

I can do an awareness course....

When I spoke to North Yorkshire Police, they said "had you been doing 70mph, we wouldn't have picked it up, as the camera doesn't differentiate commercial vehicles". Double Asshats.... 

The XJ failing to proceed.. briefly, due to a jammed  choke cable  and  flooded carbs as result .  First ever FTP in 3 and a half years.

Re the kitchen/ inheritance:  Yep. My late wife's  uncle passed  9 odd years ago and left a tidy sum to her. She decided on a new kitchen  which went from a reasonable 5k IKEA  makeover  to a 5 figure sum in no time. I think I'm the end  the  countertops cost almost as much as  "we" had intended to spend on a whole kitchen in the first place .  Wasn't my money  so I had no say, was a lovely kitchen tho

20 hours ago, wuvvum said:

I remember reading an interview years ago with some bazillionaire or other (I don't remember who it was) who said that they intended to leave their kids "enough money that they can do anything, but not enough that they can do nothing".  I thought that was a pretty good approach.

You're thinking of Sir Tom Hunter.

6 hours ago, somewhatfoolish said:

A number plate is not relevant to GDPR, you cannot identify an individual from it. Report them to the information commissioner and lodge a formal request to see the footage, unless the carpark was like a saturday at a football match It's bullshit they cannot comply with the rules in 2023.

Not trying to split hairs, but the criteria is "directly or indirectly identifiable* 

A number plate can be used to identify the registered keeper of a vehicle. 

Indirectly

It could be considered a legitimate interest, because the offending vehicle driver has commited an offence by damaging the victim's vehicle and leaving the scene. 

As I said, it's a grey area, and a VRM does technically fall under GDPR

Not by joe soap they can't; the identity of RKs is jealously guarded by doovla "because GDPR", unless they own a carpark or are employed to provide revenue protection for a carpark, then they'll hand the ID over with alacrity in exchange for a pittance, even if they've misused the service and been complained about repeatedly.

6 hours ago, Volksy said:

Speeding ticket received today. 

72mph on the A64 dual carriageway from a mobile camera between Leeds and York.

Turns out the works van (Ford Connect) oddly falls into the commercial vehicle category, so 60mph limit rather than 70mph. .  Asshats.  (A Connect Tourneo - MPV can do 70mph though!!)

I can do an awareness course....

When I spoke to North Yorkshire Police, they said "had you been doing 70mph, we wouldn't have picked it up, as the camera doesn't differentiate commercial vehicles". Double Asshats.... 

Mobile camera operator can tell the difference. If your limit was 70, I guarantee you wouldn't have been done for 72

42 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Not trying to split hairs, but the criteria is "directly or indirectly identifiable* 

A number plate can be used to identify the registered keeper of a vehicle. 

Indirectly

It could be considered a legitimate interest, because the offending vehicle driver has commited an offence by damaging the victim's vehicle and leaving the scene. 

As I said, it's a grey area, and a VRM does technically fall under GDPR

Having a number plate gets the possibility of getting the keepers details, if you ask the DVLA, and they agree you reason is valid. 

2 minutes ago, New POD said:

Having a number plate gets the possibility of getting the keepers details, if you ask the DVLA, and they agree you reason is valid. 

That's what I'm getting at, yes

It's not sensitive data, because it's public, but it's potentially identifiable, so it's protected by GDPR

I'm not saying it can't be shared due to GDPR, only it has to be shared in compliance with it because it does come under it 

On 1/20/2023 at 12:02 PM, horriblemercedes said:

Aren't the Lucas ones just refurbished?

I fitted a Lucas alternator from ECP and it was just a refurb Valeo

I've also done well with Lucas bulbs, but I don't fit enough bulbs or alternators to make my data reliable. I also know that Lucas is not the Lucas that we all know and love. I just chose those parts because they were cheap

Only just seen this, yes they're all recon. God knows by whom and to what extent. Could be just a new regulator and sprayed over with silver paint for all I know 🤷

On 1/18/2023 at 10:29 PM, RoverFolkUs said:

On the subject of Lucas, I fitted one of their Alternators recently, dead out of the box :(

Was a Disco 2 TD5 so not a particularly straightforward job to have to do twice either :(

Had me second guessing my diagnosis but after spending another hour going over everything (again) I tried a Denso one and it was obviously ok 

Obviously Starline and RTX are no good either so don't bother with ECP unless they list a Denso one. Bit more expensive, but it should last, or more importantly, actually fucking work out of the box!!

Back on this subject of Lucas parts

We've had another alternator fail under warranty today

Fitted about 6 weeks ago, covered 500 miles if that, and the bearings are shot. Really  noisy and rough even when rotating by hand. Absolutely horrifically noisy when the engine was running

Another one a couple of weeks ago failed due to noisy bearings after approx 18 months / 5k miles 

And the Disco one I mentioned dead out the box. 

Clearly it's just rebadged Chinese shite 

ECP must be spending out a fortune on labour claims if they keep selling this shit...

Went to  Bournemouth this morning to pick up the luggage cover missing from my dad’s new car. Seller left it at their valeter. Sloppy.

Got stuck behind some fag-ash Lil in a 10 plate Corsa doing 55 in the middle lane, lorries in the left and Audiwanker doing 9 billion in the outside. Everytime outside lane is free to overtake fag ash Lil, she boots it and matches my speed. Why do people do that? Especially when leftmost lane becomes clear.

Then when I reached Fareham on the M27 washer jets decided to pack up. Pump motor isn’t going so I’m hoping it’s just a bad connection or pump needing replacement, as if it’s wiring that’ll be a ballache to sort.