The grumpy thread

outlaw118

10 hours ago, hairnet said:

would be ok but for the coughing (i coughed me ring on thursday and had to stop the van it was that bad)

also they were told on sunday that the hossy told me to go to the gp and tell them it was urgent (for something that happened at the same time as the cough)

after telling the good news and them knowing i coughing my ring (tm) 

they texted back so does that mean youll be in tomorrow

i texted back only when the cough stops (the big boss was then texted a screenshot of their reply and asked will you be shouting at them or will i when im able)

big boss has been completely bang on the cunt in the department less so

verdict - cunt - they can now wait until im ready (cough) - head office will also be informed (after what ive been through cunts gonna get told some truths)

1 hour ago, Bren said:

Ebay sellers.

Had my eye on a plastic kit before xmas - auction was finished suddenly.

Now back on at reduced price. Closer inspection shows it is likely incomplete.

Messaged seller to enquire. Pleaded ignorance. Just check - it's not hard.

Soft plastic? :)

14 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

Go compare has netted me £189 with Swinton. Not as good as last year but I doubt E sure could have beaten that. My brown 93 is also insured with Esure and I only renewed it in December. It was around £150 for the year and is almost identical to the red one save for being a manual.  How do they work out their quotes?!

The quotes system is a mystery. If someone tells you x company is cheap, you’ll probably get a really high quote even if your circumstances are similar.   
However the biggest mystery is how casual they are about losing existing customers  and then spend so much advertising for new ones.  However they are hardly unique in that approach.

7 hours ago, Metal Guru said:

However the biggest mystery is how casual they are about losing existing customers  and then spend so much advertising for new ones.  However they are hardly unique in that approach.

The standard focus on short term gains as it looks better on spreadsheets.

Not a proper grump, more my lack of any patience whatsoever. I've ordered a throttle body for the Audi 100 after I spectacularly destroyed the original. The replacement is coming from Spain and whilst it has been shipped according to eBay, there is no tracking for the service and there is a huge spread on the estimated delivery dates given. It's somewhat frustrating not being able to see where it is or have an idea of exactly when I will receive it as now all I want to do is fit the throttle body and see if it solves the idle problem and gets the car running.

41 minutes ago, Rust Collector said:

Not a proper grump, more my lack of any patience whatsoever. I've ordered a throttle body for the Audi 100 after I spectacularly destroyed the original. The replacement is coming from Spain and whilst it has been shipped according to eBay, there is no tracking for the service and there is a huge spread on the estimated delivery dates given. It's somewhat frustrating not being able to see where it is or have an idea of exactly when I will receive it as now all I want to do is fit the throttle body and see if it solves the idle problem and gets the car running.

Good luck if Parcelforce are involved. Useless bar stewards.

16 minutes ago, Metal Guru said:

Good luck if Parcelforce are involved. Useless bar stewards.

I don't want to jinx it but they're alright on my patch normally, but we use them (unavoidably) for some bits at work and they've been consistently awful in the places we regularly have shipments going to.

Phone call from wife_Stanky earlier

"The car is shuddering really badly, I can't drive it and daughter_Stanky needs to be at school"

"can you take the Daihatsu? its a bit loud, but keep the revs down and its OK"

7 minutes later

"yeah, I'm not driving that, the police will pull me over"

And of course, the mercedes is in for an MOT tomorrow, so I currently have 0/3 cars which my wife is able to use. I suggested we buy another car. She wasn't impressed.

I think I might have finally reached the point in my life where I'm going to pull the trigger on something new/almost new, with an actual warranty. Life is fucking difficult enough without having to roll around in the dark and rain on a january evening fixing another ungrateful twat car. I'll have a look at it tomorrow in the daylight, might just be a duff spark plug, but I bet it'll have dropped a valve or the almost new cambelt will have skipped a tooth or something. I just despair sometimes.

23 minutes ago, calebaaront said:

The clutch release bearing has given up on my 205. This is frustrating since I had it fully serviced less than a week ago! It doesn't want to get into gear and the clutch squeals when the pedal is pressed. I've adjusted the clutch cable as much as I can but still no luck. 😑

20221229_140615.jpg

A service won't touch anything to do with it. 

Also, incorrect cable adjustment will destroy the release bearing 

It will need a new clutch kit, no two ways about it sadly 

26 minutes ago, calebaaront said:

The clutch release bearing has given up on my 205. This is frustrating since I had it fully serviced less than a week ago! It doesn't want to get into gear and the clutch squeals when the pedal is pressed. I've adjusted the clutch cable as much as I can but still no luck. 😑

20221229_140615.jpg

Not the most difficult or expensive clutch to do. 

1 hour ago, calebaaront said:

The clutch release bearing has given up on my 205. This is frustrating since I had it fully serviced less than a week ago!

Just wanted to re-iterate that a full service has absolutely nothing to do with the clutch.  There's essentially nothing that can be checked or looked at.

£150 to fit a clutch is eye-raisingly cheap.  and not for the right reasons.  That sounds too cheap.

3 minutes ago, Talbot said:

Just wanted to re-iterate that a full service has absolutely nothing to do with the clutch.  There's essentially nothing that can be checked or looked at.

£150 to fit a clutch is eye-raisingly cheap.  and not for the right reasons.  That sounds too cheap.

I know that lol, it's just if the clutch went before I got it serviced I would of done it all at once but now I have to wait for more parts. Its a garage that I've been using for years. They did the clutch on my brothers Audi last year and was perfectly fine. 

I second that £150 is extremely cheap.  On a 30 + year old car with things bound to be seized up as well...What's the hourly rate out of interest?

£60 + VAT is cheap here in Sussex. £65-80 + VAT being the going rate. Here you'd expect a gearbox in/out to be £300 + VAT + parts as a baseline. For the more complex ones, it's even more, as an example, in the case of a Citroen C4 Picasso with the 10.9 hour book time.. you do the maths!

I can say there's no shortage of work at the moment either. Which is very unusual for this time of year. 

6 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

What's the hourly rate

I’m the brother in question, he doesn’t charge an hourly rate, just charges a price once the work is complete, he’s definitely a bit of a back ally garage and a lot of people say to avoid him but he charged £190 to do the clutch on my Audi A6 last year and it’s been fine since. Also charged £200 to do a full engine swap on my dads old Zafira and that lasted fine too, though in stark contrast he’s had my Proton since probably August and hasn’t finished the work yet so he’s definitely hit and miss

10 hours ago, calebaaront said:

Thankfully it's only £65 for a new Borg and Beck clutch and release bearing. My local garage has quoted me £150 which isn't too bad!

Don't bother with Borg and Beck. They used to be fantastic when they were owned by AP. Now they are only a name slapped onto cheap rubbish. Get a Luk, Valeo or Sachs. Probably not a huge pile more anyway for such a small clutch.