The grumpy thread

outlaw118

1 hour ago, Yoss said:

I would have seriously considered putting the handle back and going somewhere else. Depends how desperate you were for petrol I guess.

The Sainsburys up the road is only 10p difference between the two. 147.9 to 157.9. There can be no justification for a 31p difference. 

I did, not paying that 

Weather. 

Started job, cool but clear skies.  Forecast said no precipitation due in my area until 2 hours from now.

Cue torrential rain which then turned to sleet right about the point of no return in the job.

Now finished, back inside soaked to the skin and absolutely bloody frozen.

Oh, and have achieved absolutely nothing.

Edit: I've also realised that in my rush to get done before I froze to death I forgot to reconnect a connector...so will definitely need to repeat 85% of the work!

Oh and the Mrs has been asked to go for neurofibromatosis screening. To be fair she does have some of the symptoms.

Cafe au lait marks, lumps on her head and marks in her eyes.

The worrying thing is increased risk of breast cancer.

My mum, great aunt and her mum died of that so it can fuck off.

Got some fairly urgent stuff on the way with DPD.  Ordered it last Sunday, dispatched Monday. Been loaded on the DPD van every day last week, and every day its:

" Kirk is currently making delivery number 1, you are delivery number 121"

and by 4:30PM he's on delivery 65 or so and then they just take the fucker back to the depot.

Every day we ring DPD and they say "sorry, the driver was very busy yesterday, we'll deliver it tomorrow"

12 minutes ago, cobblers said:

Got some fairly urgent stuff on the way with DPD.  Ordered it last Sunday, dispatched Monday. Been loaded on the DPD van every day last week, and every day its:

and by 4:30PM he's on delivery 65 or so and then they just take the fucker back to the depot.

Every day we ring DPD and they say "sorry, the driver was very busy yesterday, we'll deliver it tomorrow"

I’ve had two deliveries from DPD recently . Had a text saying something like “Chris will deliver your parcel between 1.38 and 2.38pm today.”

They have been precisely in the middle both times.

They're usually absolutely spot on with the timing - in fact if a driver is running too fast he's not actually able to scan a parcel as "delivered" until the predicted delivery time.

But whatever is going on this week is bizarre, it reckons the guy is going to do 120 drops in 90 minutes.

Today's grump:  Caught myself with the angry grinder last night.  Luckily, it caught part of a fingernail, so it didn't just go straight through my finger.  Fairly significant amount of finger ground away though.  Turns out a 700w grinder with a 6mm grinding disc is remarkably* effective at removing skin.

Didn't really hurt too much at the time.  Stings like fuck today, and I can't type properly...

2 hours ago, cobblers said:

Wow, what a surprise! DPD can't find the address that has a massive sign directly off the road and receives a few hundred parcels every day

image.png.875720b49831f8c15d6a95fcf4e83b04.png

8 minutes ago, Markeh said:

As someone with a borderline unhealthy obsession with Popmaster, I am devastated to hear Ken Bruce is leaving Radio 2 - The cynic in me has doubts that his new Greatest Hits show will be as good.

It was only a matter of time. They have been slowly culling the stalwarts for younger types 🙄 I stopped listening a few years ago now.

Edit:

Greatest hits radio isn't too bad. Simon mayo has his old radio 2 show on there with his old co hosts. Also a few other peak music (80s) radio 1 DJs.

8 minutes ago, andyberg said:

It was only a matter of time. They have been slowly culling the stalwarts for younger types 🙄 I stopped listening a few years ago now.

Edit:

Greatest hits radio isn't too bad. Simon mayo has his old radio 2 show on there with his old co hosts. Also a few other peak music (80s) radio 1 DJs.

problem with greatest hits is the bloody adverts, they drive me up the wall (and the fact i can't seem to ever get a good signal in the motor when i'm in sussex).

4 hours ago, cobblers said:

Wow, what a surprise! DPD can't find the address that has a massive sign directly off the road and receives a few hundred parcels every day

image.png.875720b49831f8c15d6a95fcf4e83b04.png

Oh whats the chance of that I have also just placed an order with TLC Electrical on Sunday as well!

I treated myself to somewhat* of a Variac upgrade when I found the big beasty on the right for a good price on eBay

IMG_2127.thumb.JPG.0a4d07f69a73900d073f32ac21b22768.JPG

thats not a Variac this is a Variac! :mrgreen:

IMG_2128.thumb.JPG.7beadc5d7bd4e6d82d6f6b9fa1050911.JPG

and realised to make full use of it, I was going to need a bigger boat mains supply! a 13A mains socket just aint gonna cut it anymore

so I started plugging away and what I would need and dont you just love project creep! all the bits and bobs have ended up costing almost what I paid for the Variac itself! its like a cheap/free car, dosent stay cheap for long!

"so I need a 32A IEC socket, ok, and I want one thats switched, right, then ill a suitable amount of 6mm Flex to wire the Variac with and a plug for that, and then another plug and coupler so I can add a 32A outlet to the output of the Variac itself, oh and also an industrial sized terminal lug crimp set to make up the the connections to the Variac itself because its 8mm Stud connections are bigger then any crimp terminals I have on hand currently"

you get the idea!

on the plus side, it means I got free local branch delivery, so hopefully no faffing about with unreliable couriers! me and the seller of the Variac had a right nightmare with getting UPS to deliver it to my door!       

managed to get all the way to my local depot when it suddenly became too heavy... (even tho they knew exactly how much it weighed and accepted it otherwise)

1042832535_Screenshot2023-01-13at13_55_04.thumb.png.96e8f01c5050c7cc84ac7ac408777590.png

so that was "fun"

I was worried things where going to go sideways again when I got this email and I was thinking "oh great its probably going to take them a million years for it to get to the branch"

338642521_Screenshot2023-01-17at15_16_54.thumb.png.074d66cb45c411fabf8060172fc17369.png

and in typical fashion it was one of the items in the order that was not critical to function (just an automatic wire striper I thought id finally get one to try out while I was at it)

but thankfully I have an email today saying it will all be delivered tomorrow fingers crossed! (between 8AM and 5PM, knowing my luck, probably 8AM after I have just finally passed out at 6AM LOL)

I hope your able to get your order in the end! 

Top tip boys and girls. When you do an oil change on your Komatsu minidigger, and leave it inside overnight because a) you want to check the oil level again in the morning and b) you have had enough for the night, after you have confirmed the oil level the next day and are driving it out, do remember to open the roller shutter door the extra foot the digger takes over the normal height for the Kubota.

This will save you several hours trying to straighten the door and having to grind a section off the door itself so you can get it to move again!

Still, it is the first time I have hit it hard enough to do damage in over 20 years, which is approximately 20 years longer than expected. Some more fine tuning with heat, the sledge hammer and the welder tomorrow should see it indistinguishable* from a new door!

I am beginning to hate most Range Rover drivers, based on the following observations made over 24 miserable hours. 

Brand new RR parked on a hill, nose to nose, against a lovely old scabby Daewoo. Parked so hard that the nose of the Daewoo was pressed in/down, with the weight of the RR against it. The RR also had it's arse parked at an angle making getting by nearly impossible. Driver (old gammony fart) sat in the RR reading a book. "You've hit that car in front" I told him. "No, I've touched it" he said. Whatevs. Parking cameras on the blink, are they? Twat.

Dual carriageway with queuing traffic for 2 miles to join Motorway. Left lane solid. Right lane with fast moving traffic. You know what's coming, right? At the chevrons, covered in the usual debris and shit, a new RR stops the traffic in the outside lane to push in the front of the queue, with perhaps 6" to spare before ending up hitting the armco. No indicators, obvz, no 'thank you', nothing. Twat.

Motorway, 4 lanes, RR gently weaving between lane 2 and 3, over-correcting, causing queue to overtake in lane 4. I get by... driver on the phone. Later on the same thing drives a few mm off my rear bumper as me doing 80ish overtaking things in lane 3 isn't fast enough for him, despite the cameras. Twat.

Top of my street, T junction with school on one side and scout hut the other, RR parked half on the pavement on the corner, making it impossible to see around it to pull out, and impossible for wheelchairs/pushchairs to get by on the pavement. Twat.

Local village bypass, fast but quiet traffic, RR SVR thing slowing to walking pace then zooming up behind the car in front, window down, enjoying the engine noise and annoying the fuck out of me and probably everyone who lives nearby. Twat.

I'm grumpy now. Nipped to the shop to get some bits, what make of car is parked in two bays as it's too fucking big for one, in a busy carpark, in the icy/rainy conditions? RR. Twat. 

What is it with these bloody things? 

Had a LR defender in today. The new valeter for one of my best customers  brought the car in and complained about a steering shake at anything over 40mph. He said it felt like the car was breaking in half, the front going one way the back going opposite. Put on the ramp and there is a new A frame balljoint on the rear axle and a new steering damper. The car had obviously  just come out of the workshop. Whether the "technician" missed the bleeding obvious or forgot I don't know. The steering drag link was held on by gravity alone. The nearside balljoint had no securing nut what so ever.

After finding a suitable replacement nut I phoned the workshop manager. The "technician" is the same one who left a wheelbearing so loose it affected the brakes. When it came back from the MoT he spent two hours fucking about replacing the servo, brake master cylinder and bleeding to still have a brake problem. Tightening up the bearing cured the problem. Hope the dangerous twat was given his cards this afternoon.

1 hour ago, meggersdog said:

Had a LR defender in today. The new valeter for one of my best customers  brought the car in and complained about a steering shake at anything over 40mph. He said it felt like the car was breaking in half, the front going one way the back going opposite. Put on the ramp and there is a new A frame balljoint on the rear axle and a new steering damper. The car had obviously  just come out of the workshop. Whether the "technician" missed the bleeding obvious or forgot I don't know. The steering drag link was held on by gravity alone. The nearside balljoint had no securing nut what so ever.

After finding a suitable replacement nut I phoned the workshop manager. The "technician" is the same one who left a wheelbearing so loose it affected the brakes. When it came back from the MoT he spent two hours fucking about replacing the servo, brake master cylinder and bleeding to still have a brake problem. Tightening up the bearing cured the problem. Hope the dangerous twat was given his cards this afternoon.

I knew someone like that, never could wrap my head around his line of thought on numerous occasions when blatantly obvious defects were missed on a service or something got bodged in a completely ridiculous and unsuitable manner. Like super glueing a broken wiring harness, it duly still did not work. This was on an ECU. Wrote the car off in the end as it would have needed a replacement ECU and loom. It was only a banger, but that's not the point

The last I heard, he's no longer a mechanic!

2 hours ago, meggersdog said:

Management material if ever was.