The grumpy thread

outlaw118

3 hours ago, PicantoJon said:

20230105_140055.thumb.jpg.d26ff279698f9a20e4a3db55c5c5b4f7.jpg

This carbuncle irritates me to no end... 

I get that it houses a forward-looking camera gizmo and rain sensor gubbins, but why does it have to extend so bloody far down the windscreen?

The rain sensor needs to be cleared by the wipers, otherwise in the rain, they'd always be on. 

4 hours ago, horriblemercedes said:

Bloody does if you have gigabytes of them!

He's my brother in law, and most computer savy in the family so I'm sure he'll work out a solution. 

Plus he's retired, so what else has he got to do ? 

20 hours ago, Pieman said:

Plus it says "lug nut" and we don't call them that in the UK (unless I have misunderstood completely and you're in the US, in which case I apologise).

He does sometimes use American terminology.  He has spent a lot of time in the US and was married to one of their females for a while.

If you look back through the history of the automobile it’d be fair to say there’s been some outstandingly shit ideas and designs. 
However, the unrivalled king and taker of the title of the most utterly fucking shit idea ever installed on any vehicle ever is without doubt the sunroof! 
How much of a total cunt do you have to be to think cutting a hole in a cars roof is ever going to be a good idea!? Honestly, if I could go back in time and beat the living shit out of someone to stop their future infliction on humanity it’d be the inventor of the sunroof.

Why all this hate and harsh language? Because the sunroof has leaked, again, on the Volvo. Headlining is soaked and ruined, carpets are soaked, passenger seat wet… absolutely shit!

Just found this tied to a lamppost on my delivery. Don't try reading it, I'll summarise. 

IMG_20230106_114844.thumb.jpg.dce21092aa72122e1c47c6470d94c51c.jpg 

It's about proposed 20mph speed limits in Southampton. It covers a big area as you can tell, most of western Southampton in fact. The 20 limit itself is not the main grump here, a lot of the above are small residential roads where you would struggle to reach 30 anyway. Although Shirley Road is the main bus route to the western side of Southampton and Hill Lane is a lovely straight wide road that has The Common on one side and big well spaced houses on the other so that seems daft to me. 

The grump is in the small print at the bottom that says any objections should be sent to the relevant address within 21 days of this notice, i.e. the 23rd of December, and sure enough the letter is dated 2nd December. This notice was printed on standard photocopier paper, not laminated or protected in any way. There is no way this notice has been here since the 2nd of January let alone the 2nd of December, it obviously hasn't been there any longer than since it last rained, in fact it has started raining again now so I imagine it is slowly dissolving as I write. 

I doubt any objections would make any difference anyway, they've decided they are going to to do it and that's that but they could have at least gone through the motions of doing it properly. 

Dropped my e60 at the dealers today just after 8am. Was told it would be here all day.

By 1750 I had heard nothing. So I went - most of the admin staff were leaving. Explained why I was there and that nobody had called me.

A member of staff told me the boot floor needed " work" and that the repair to the cable had been done. The word " welding" was mentioned as well as waiting on a part.

E60's dont need welding. I have no idea what is going on.

4 hours ago, Yoss said:

Just found this tied to a lamppost on my delivery. Don't try reading it, I'll summarise. 

IMG_20230106_114844.thumb.jpg.dce21092aa72122e1c47c6470d94c51c.jpg 

It's about proposed 20mph speed limits in Southampton. It covers a big area as you can tell, most of western Southampton in fact. The 20 limit itself is not the main grump here, a lot of the above are small residential roads where you would struggle to reach 30 anyway. Although Shirley Road is the main bus route to the western side of Southampton and Hill Lane is a lovely straight wide road that has The Common on one side and big well spaced houses on the other so that seems daft to me. 

The grump is in the small print at the bottom that says any objections should be sent to the relevant address within 21 days of this notice, i.e. the 23rd of December, and sure enough the letter is dated 2nd December. This notice was printed on standard photocopier paper, not laminated or protected in any way. There is no way this notice has been here since the 2nd of January let alone the 2nd of December, it obviously hasn't been there any longer than since it last rained, in fact it has started raining again now so I imagine it is slowly dissolving as I write. 

I doubt any objections would make any difference anyway, they've decided they are going to to do it and that's that but they could have at least gone through the motions of doing it properly. 

When I lived and worked in the area back in the late 70s Shirley Road use to have a national speed limit. I recall that may be this was dropped to 40. With hindsight the national limit may have been a bit too high for such a road.

When i worked in road design, not national highways more estate roads, it was a thing to design a road with the intended speed in mind. ie straight roads = higher speeds. 20 is  just too slow for this road.

9 minutes ago, chaseracer said:

The Zanussi has collected a puncture in the left rear.  It is a Bridgestone runflat in 225/50x18 flavour.  No spare, obvs.  I'm glad I was sitting down when I found out the price.

TWO HUNDRED AND ELEVEN PORTRAITS OF BRENDA.  

Fitted, so that's OK* then.  

flash bugga gonna flash

19 minutes ago, chaseracer said:

The Zanussi has collected a puncture in the left rear.  It is a Bridgestone runflat in 225/50x18 flavour.  No spare, obvs.  I'm glad I was sitting down when I found out the price.

TWO HUNDRED AND ELEVEN PORTRAITS OF BRENDA.  

Fitted, so that's OK* then.  

How much are 2 non run flats 🤔

48 minutes ago, mitsisigma01 said:

Whatever they are , one packet just ain't enough ....

unless 

:D one packet usually lasts about 30 seconds :D

i was given the long tube that happens at xmas

i thought there were 3 packs in it - nope theres four - thats how off me food i am they usually be gone in a coupla days :D

Ugh, just had to send a fairly sternly worded email to the company who had been doing our roofing work.

Having basically vanished into the aether in mid November, they just emailed me the invoice for the completed job (all £31.6K of it).  However there are a whole bunch of things they've not finished yet.  

Maybe they'll be apologietic and just crack on and sort it...I'm not going to hold my breath though.  While I'm prepared to be pleasantly surprised, I'm *expecting* this to turn into a complete farce.

Tonight I’m Staying the night at a Hotel just me and the wife as the kids are at the in-laws, just gone down to the restaurant to have Tea and a Company I worked at 7 years ago are having their Christmas Party in one of the Function Rooms and have pretty much booked most of the rooms in the Hotel for the Staff. What are the bloody odds ?