The grumpy thread

outlaw118

4 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Bastard car sat for three days. Won't start. Couldn't move it to get my Granda's car close enough to jump start it as the rear brakes were jammed on. Freed them off, added jump leads, connected between Sandero and Fabia, no dice.

Battery has been on its way out for a wee while. New one is on order. Bah!

It's battery season innit, I finally decided to order a new one for my van on xmas eve, after the traditional few weeks of faffing about charging it when it had been sat for a few days.

Went to drive down to parents on 27th and hilariously* the thing started fine but then FTP when we stopped at the Tesco down the road. 

Ended up going and buying another battery from a local factors so we could get to where we were going. 

Not the end of the world as was able to use the 2nd battery on the Audi which was also getting a bit sad so they now both have brand spankers ready for the cold times. 

Was definitely cursing myself for hanging on rather than just ordering a battery in autumn when it was clearly already on the way out.

Just now, Dave_Q said:

It's battery season innit, I finally decided to order a new one for my van on xmas eve, after the traditional few weeks of faffing about charging it when it had been sat for a few days.

Went to drive down to parents on 27th and hilariously* the thing started fine but then FTP when we stopped at the Tesco down the road. 

Ended up going and buying another battery from a local factors so we could get to where we were going. 

Not the end of the world as was able to use the 2nd battery on the Audi which was also getting a bit sad so they now both have brand spankers ready for the cold times. 

Was definitely cursing myself for hanging on rather than just ordering a battery in autumn when it was clearly already on the way out.

This is the predicament I'm in now, completely my own fault too. Managed to drive to my Granny's last night as I'm staying there, but the car wouldn't start this morning.

Just received a message from my Mum to say the battery has arrived at her work (ordered through AC Autoparts) so I'm going with my Granda to collect it. This has quickly turned out better.

I think the Picasso wants to die. It has a fortnight's MOT left, the clutch release bearing started making noises at me last week (and it looks like book time for a clutch change is ten(!) hours) and now the bastard thing has just died in Sainsburys car park. And my garage is booked solid until the end of the month and have asked me not to recover it there. Hooray.

On 1/3/2023 at 3:06 PM, EyesWeldedShut said:

Start thinking more like us Welsh Hillbillies - it's two hours round trip to town, the factors have to order in everything so, unless you're planning on going in anyway,  it's pretty much online for anything non-generic. Just don't mention the postal strikes - I'm still waiting for a few bits from just before Xmas that were not sent tracked 24/48 :-( 
(Mind you, ordered some stuff this time yesterday and Mr Yodel dropped it off at 10 am - that's almost too happy for the grumpy thread)

Thing is, if I still lived out in the sticks in Aberdeenshire I'd really not begrudge it.  However when you live in the middle of what would like to bill itself as a city less than 50 miles from sodding London it grates.

I've been here eight and a half years now - and I STILL keep forgetting to multiply how long I expect it to take me to get anywhere by at least 1.5 in my head and winding up running late.

2 hours ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Bastard car sat for three days. Won't start. Couldn't move it to get my Granda's car close enough to jump start it as the rear brakes were jammed on. Freed them off, added jump leads, connected between Sandero and Fabia, no dice.

Battery has been on its way out for a wee while. New one is on order. Bah!

New battery fitted, starts better than it ever has. Earth terminal clamp is a bit loose, so might seek out another before the electric gremlins come back again.

It also appears my dash cam was the final nail for the original battery, as it's running all the time it would appear.

Was just parked behind someone at the traffic lights - two phones right in front of them on the windscreen - dashcam at eye level and rear facing camera below it right in the centre of the screen.

They were actually having to duck to look under the phones when they pulled away.  They might as well be wearing a set of glasses painted black and be looking around the edges for all they could see.

How the heck are people actually that utterly stupid?

just come to do my end of year backups of all the photos , needed to take the last month piccys off the phones and Motorola in some wisdom has locked out the usb port some how ???  , on both phones !!  , it wont change mode to file transfer or let the other device take control FFS ...  even pisssing around with Dev mode did not help ..

back up plan is to just offload using wifi onto the server which will take F in ages

4 minutes ago, MikeR said:

just come to do my end of year backups of all the photos , needed to take the last month piccys off the phones and Motorola in some wisdom has locked out the usb port some how ???  , on both phones !!  , it wont change mode to file transfer or let the other device take control FFS ...  even pisssing around with Dev mode did not help ..

back up plan is to just offload using wifi onto the server which will take F in ages

Try a different USB cable. Some are charging only

10 hours ago, Talbot said:

Sending ominous stuff to unsecured printers is fricking hillarious.  I've heard of people throwing them out before now due to them believing the printer is posessed.

Don't do this, kids.

About ten years ago my mate had a WiFi printer that you could connect to Facebook for some reason. 

The thing is, they hadn't realised but it worked like flippin' telex. If you messaged the connected FB account, it printed the message. 
We set the printer up with a FB account of its own and started sending it absurd messages at random times of day. 

@GhostyI really hate IoT for shit like this.  Hard-coded admin passwords that get leaked, basic security overlooked on every level and there it is controlling your lights, your fridge and your fucking toaster for no good reason.  Add in that just how utterly lax some people are about even the most basic account security and you've got a disaster on your hands.  Governments and criminals are licking their lips at the possibilities.

At least once a week we get an email saying 'Oh... I clicked on this link in an email...' and then muggins here has to go and sort it out, including auditing the SharePoint.  People have absolutely no idea how much of a pain in the arse it is for the twat that has to trawl through everything.  Then the company aren't interested in basic security like MFA.  I told our MD a few weeks ago that if customers refused MFA implementations then we ought to refuse their custom.  Fortunately, he agrees with me even though it would be his back pocket it stings the most.

Then people think it's some badge of honour that they're shit with technology.  I don't care if you're a bit shit with tech if it's in your personal time or isn't an important part of your job but with our customer base it is usually important for their jobs and it puts their entire business - and our entire business at risk.  But to some people it's just a punchline to the shittest joke ever and they have absolutely no idea what chaos they cause.

In my old job we had a member of staff that got phished three times in three months.  Every time we took her through what she could have done differently (like maybe just going and talking to the trees instead of sitting at her computer) and even though we had free IT training from dedicated IT trainers, she wouldn't take us up on it.  At that point if I had been her manager I would be having serious words but because everybody was shit, it was fine.  In my view, that's verging on gross negligence...

6 minutes ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

@GhostyI really hate IoT for shit like this.  Hard-coded admin passwords that get leaked, basic security overlooked on every level and there it is controlling your lights, your fridge and your fucking toaster for no good reason.  Add in that just how utterly lax some people are about even the most basic account security and you've got a disaster on your hands.  Governments and criminals are licking their lips at the possibilities.

At least once a week we get an email saying 'Oh... I clicked on this link in an email...' and then muggins here has to go and sort it out, including auditing the SharePoint.  People have absolutely no idea how much of a pain in the arse it is for the twat that has to trawl through everything.  Then the company aren't interested in basic security like MFA.  I told our MD a few weeks ago that if customers refused MFA implementations then we ought to refuse their custom.  Fortunately, he agrees with me even though it would be his back pocket it stings the most.

Then people think it's some badge of honour that they're shit with technology.  I don't care if you're a bit shit with tech if it's in your personal time or isn't an important part of your job but with our customer base it is usually important for their jobs and it puts their entire business - and our entire business at risk.  But to some people it's just a punchline to the shittest joke ever and they have absolutely no idea what chaos they cause.

In my old job we had a member of staff that got phished three times in three months.  Every time we took her through what she could have done differently (like maybe just going and talking to the trees instead of sitting at her computer) and even though we had free IT training from dedicated IT trainers, she wouldn't take us up on it.  At that point if I had been her manager I would be having serious words but because everybody was shit, it was fine.  In my view, that's verging on gross negligence...

My old NHS job had people that were so hellbent on keeping their outdated and broken tech that they transferred to other hospitals in the trust when a new trust was taking over and rolling out up to date tech. One of them was still on XP... the ignorance of some of the ward sisters and clerks was astounding too. It's truly infuriating. 

Tangenitally, I was once in a coffee shop in Holmfirth, they had free wifi - through a Technicolor router with a default SSID which starts with TNCAPExxxxx, and the password on a board. IIRC they had put the password up but not the SSID, but it was obvious which one it was. 
They'd clearly just taken the router out of the box the ISP sent them and plugged it in. Which made me think - we have a Technicolor router at home. I know what the default admin password is! 
onto Chrome on the phone, 192.168.1.1... 
yep, default admin password, I could have bricked their router if I wanted to. 

I definitely didn't change the SSID to the name of the coffee shop to help people find it. 

43 minutes ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

That's a surprising attitude for a management type; a better plan would be to charge refuseniks a hefty premium if they refuse to implement increased security and increase the premium if they employ idiots who repeatedly make work for you. If nothing else it's good business.

4 minutes ago, somewhatfoolish said:

That's a surprising attitude for a management type; a better plan would be to charge refuseniks a hefty premium if they refuse to implement increased security and increase the premium if they employ idiots who repeatedly make work for you. If nothing else it's good business.

The issue is that our reputation is also at risk if there are repeated security issues, even if they're self-inflicted.  It's very easy for a customer to 'blame IT' even if we're not directly at fault and unfortunately, people will believe them.

I'm in the middle of project planning some of this and there's a halfway house to your suggestion that I think might work and potentially increase revenue.

21 minutes ago, junkyarddog said:

First thing is put the rest of the nuts back on,as without them it's increasing the pressure on that one making it even tighter!

1 hour ago, myglaren said:

Just got this from my son.  Suspect it may be his Ford Ranger he bought recently.

unnamed.png

An axe???? What are the pliers for? That stud at 3 o'clock look off-centre to the hole too.

If it's mega fucked the the point nothing can get purchase from the front then you could also undo the wheel bearing and take the whole hub and wheel off to grind or drill the stud from behind before twatting it out with a large persuader. I had to do this on a Mercedes a while back when the locking bolt sheared and the bolt hole was too deep to get a good weld on the remains.

When all other methods have failed, drill through the stud with a 12mm (maybe bigger) cobalt drill bit and after the studs been drilled through you should be able to snap it off. I’ve used this method on several jeeps over the years with great success,

although he will need a new stud afterwards