The grumpy thread

outlaw118

6 hours ago, Wack said:

Shit like this makes me grumpy 

Back in March I inadvertley clicked an ad on Facebook for DVLA services 

I was just clearing messages from African tarts looking for a man, any man when I found they'd messaged me 

Screenshot_20221231_200847_Messenger.thumb.jpg.ef808222d8d2ea78812521661b0f984b.jpg

Now it's either a scam or worse they can get you a driving licence 

Obviously I didn't ring the number but I wonder how many did and might be driving amongst us 

I don’t think you actually pay and get a valid licence. More likely is you pay and immediately get blocked. What can you do? Inform the police you were scammed tying to buy an illegal drivers licence? 

16 hours ago, Lankytim said:

I don’t think you actually pay and get a valid licence. More likely is you pay and immediately get blocked. What can you do? Inform the police you were scammed tying to buy an illegal drivers licence? 

Plenty would - believe me. Like druggies who score with their mate and their mate has more than their share. Then they try and report a theft.....

On 12/31/2022 at 9:15 PM, Stanky said:

There is literally nothing stopping you from getting behind the wheel with no licence, and virtually zero chance of ever being caught out unless you are involved in a major collision. I'm amazed anyone actually bothers calling them? 

People with no licence or insurance get caught because they think they're completely above the law and drive like absolute cunts.  They may as well write on the back of their cars "HELLO COPS, PLEASE PULL ME OVER".

8 hours ago, High Jetter said:

My lower denture broke on Friday evening. Got a repair kit yesterday and glued it but that failed. Going to be hungry for a while :(

Had another go at glueing it today, was able to enjoy roast beef. Might fall apart when I take it out shortly.

20 minutes ago, myglaren said:

Try superglue mixed with baking powder.  Can be tricky, do some tests first.

Thanks, might try that if/when my repair fails. Fortunately, I've already started on the path for replacements - after 12 years these dentures are getting a bit blunt!

Sat waiting for the car wash at Morrisons.  Couple in front can’t work out how to pay for the car wash now it’s contactless or card at the machine.   I’ve been sat here for 10 minutes and not even an apology.

Predictably they’re trying to wash a nearly-new Audi A1 with a personalised plate.

I feel my IQ dropping rapidly.

Oh!  And the bloke walked off to the shop for some help and of course bought a sandwich, bucket of coffee, etc. before he got help.

17 hours ago, Pieman said:

People with no licence or insurance get caught because they think they're completely above the law and drive like absolute cunts.  They may as well write on the back of their cars "HELLO COPS, PLEASE PULL ME OVER".

What Cops?  There are no Police on the road these days.  I used to see a Traffic Police car on the road every single time I drove anywhere in the 90s.  These days I might see two a year, and invariably they're going the other way.

I could have not had a licence for the last 20 years and it would have made 2/10ths of sod-all difference.  Only people who checked up on it is my employer so I can drive company vehicles.

16 minutes ago, Talbot said:

What Cops?  There are no Police on the road these days.  I used to see a Traffic Police car on the road every single time I drove anywhere in the 90s.  These days I might see two a year, and invariably they're going the other way.

I could have not had a licence for the last 20 years and it would have made 2/10ths of sod-all difference.  Only people who checked up on it is my employer so I can drive company vehicles.

Hand on heart I genuinely cannot remember the last time I even saw a traffic police car on the road. It's a "sore point" with me so if I saw one I would definitely make a mental note of it. The last time I was pulled over was in 2004 ish. 

Unless you live in a big city you could comfortably just drive around with no documents or anything for decades, so long as your number plates checked out on ANPR.

That's a point actually, I need to SORN the t25, now that it's parked off the road there's no point having it taxed for the amount of miles it does.

2 minutes ago, cobblers said:

so long as your number plates checked out on ANPR.

Hence people put Romanian/Polish/Hungarian/any-other-eastern-european plates on UK cars and just run them around with no tax, insurance, mot or licence.  ANPR "ignores" it and there's no traffic police to pull over the very obvious RHD car with UK dealer stickers but on foreign plates.  This has been mentioned as a complete pisstake before on the forum, but you can see how people get away with it for years.

7 hours ago, Talbot said:

I do around 100k miles a year, last time I was pulled over was 2008, so approx 1.2 million miles (had a couple of years off) ago on the A66 at about 5 in the morning. The reason I was pulled? Some farmer had a couple of quad bikes pinched so they wanted to look in the back of my van - copper was disappointed to see some beds and wardrobes I was delivering.

Even during lockdown I never got pulled, as long as the vehicles legal on plods database and you're not driving like a dick you've very little chance of being pulled over.

7 hours ago, Talbot said:

Hence people put Romanian/Polish/Hungarian/any-other-eastern-european plates on UK cars and just run them around with no tax, insurance, mot or licence.  ANPR "ignores" it and there's no traffic police to pull over the very obvious RHD car with UK dealer stickers but on foreign plates.  This has been mentioned as a complete pisstake before on the forum, but you can see how people get away with it for years.

I may of mentioned this before, but they where/are so prolific here that when I was learning to drive and having driving lessons I made it a bit of a game to point them out to my long suffering driving instructor LOL

easily spotted 1 per lesson if not more, I would say

Frigging smoke alarm just went off in the kitchen, for absolutely no reason that I can see.

Brand new optical detector, only fitted seven months ago. Hasn't given any bother before.

No smoke/ dust/ anything out of the ordinary that I could find. 9V alkaline battery absolutely fine, bags of power left in it.

Disconnected the bugger as I don't want it sounding again for no reason (two other units installed on the same floor).

One in the last house did the same thing; it had a built-in battery and I ended up having to stab it with a screwdriver to get it to shut up.

Great the way these things, out of all the hours in the day, always like to malfunction at about 2.45am.

Now just lying in the dark trying to get my heart rate down from about 180bpm.

I'm sure* I'll feel really rested when I've to get up for work in 4hrs time.

Bah.

1 hour ago, Datsuncog said:

Frigging smoke alarm just went off in the kitchen, for absolutely no reason that I can see.

Brand new optical detector, only fitted seven months ago. Hasn't given any bother before.

No smoke/ dust/ anything out of the ordinary that I could find. 9V alkaline battery absolutely fine, bags of power left in it.

Disconnected the bugger as I don't want it sounding again for no reason (two other units installed on the same floor).

One in the last house did the same thing; it had a built-in battery and I ended up having to stab it with a screwdriver to get it to shut up.

Great the way these things, out of all the hours in the day, always like to malfunction at about 2.45am.

Now just lying in the dark trying to get my heart rate down from about 180bpm.

I'm sure* I'll feel really rested when I've to get up for work in 4hrs time.

Bah.

One of my smoke alarms kept going off for no reason. It was only about a year old with five warranty. Makers told me to hoover all the holes as dust can cause false alarms. Cured problem , no alarms for more than a year.

On 1/1/2023 at 10:52 PM, High Jetter said:

Had another go at glueing it today, was able to enjoy roast beef. Might fall apart when I take it out shortly.

I post mine to this place. Been using them for years. Had a copy set made a few years ago. Far better quality repair than my local dentist.

Seems strange posting them, but never failed up to now.

https://www.denturerepairs.co.uk/

2 hours ago, Mally said:

I post mine to this place. Been using them for years. Had a copy set made a few years ago. Far better quality repair than my local dentist.

Seems strange posting them, but never failed up to now.

https://www.denturerepairs.co.uk/

Thanks for that. My repair still holding for now, so fingers X

3 hours ago, Metal Guru said:

One of my smoke alarms kept going off for no reason. It was only about a year old with five warranty. Makers told me to hoover all the holes as dust can cause false alarms. Cured problem , no alarms for more than a year.

Yup, I'll be giving it a clean with the vacuum before replacing the battery and putting it back on the ceiling. There had been dust generated from cutting and sanding cabinetry a few weeks back, so I'm sure it's something to do with that.

The chief grump was that a false alarm always apparently chooses to go off around 3am, and leaves me feeling wrung out the next day...

I'm tired and hungry all the time ATM (more than usual....)

Decided nearly 3 weeks ago to get my shit together re: my Type 2 diabetes. I know, GR7 timing right? Threatened with insulin, which I've tried before and found it to be too much pain for too little gain.

So, I've cut out bread, spuds (pretty much), rice, pasta, and cut down dramatically on pastry...NO PIES??.... (I have had a couple of sausage rolls from the Wild Bean concession in the garage opposite work....)

As a consequence my blood sugars have fallen to "normal" levels - ranging from 5ish to 8ish on average.

So why do I feel worse than before, and making myself miserable by denying myself stuff? yesterday night, I would have gladly stabbed someone for a BK Whopper (XL with bacon OBVS), or that tube of cheese and onion Pringles that are in the cupboard... but what did I have instead? Chicken, and a couple of pickled onions.

I haven't lost much weight either - 3 whole pounds in 3 weeks is less than expected, and as those shiters who have met me will testify, that won't have made much difference. 

At a bit of a crossroads I reckon; do I just think Fuck It, and do the insulin thing, and eat whatever I want, or persevere with the no carbs thing, and be miserable, or the third most extreme option is to give up all my meds, do what I want and hope the imminent heart attack kills me quickly.

Mate, please don't do anything you might regret. Please don't cut out any medication you are on. Please speak to your GP before you do anything in haste. 

I'm no expert AT ALL,  but there is never a bad time to make changes for the sake of your health. I don't think it's ever going to be easy to swap a "bad diet" for a "healthy" one. Your body will be craving it's dopamine kick from the sugary carbs.

You've already taken some positive steps to improving your health if you've been cutting out a lot of the stodge 👍.

Do you try and vary what you put on your plate?  Shaking up what you put on your plate (even just a little colour) and stepping away from "beige" foods will help. You'll quickly get fed up if you just eat the same 2 or 3 meals on repeat.