The grumpy thread

outlaw118

2 hours ago, Mally said:

I post mine to this place. Been using them for years. Had a copy set made a few years ago. Far better quality repair than my local dentist.

Seems strange posting them, but never failed up to now.

https://www.denturerepairs.co.uk/

Thanks for that. My repair still holding for now, so fingers X

3 hours ago, Metal Guru said:

One of my smoke alarms kept going off for no reason. It was only about a year old with five warranty. Makers told me to hoover all the holes as dust can cause false alarms. Cured problem , no alarms for more than a year.

Yup, I'll be giving it a clean with the vacuum before replacing the battery and putting it back on the ceiling. There had been dust generated from cutting and sanding cabinetry a few weeks back, so I'm sure it's something to do with that.

The chief grump was that a false alarm always apparently chooses to go off around 3am, and leaves me feeling wrung out the next day...

I'm tired and hungry all the time ATM (more than usual....)

Decided nearly 3 weeks ago to get my shit together re: my Type 2 diabetes. I know, GR7 timing right? Threatened with insulin, which I've tried before and found it to be too much pain for too little gain.

So, I've cut out bread, spuds (pretty much), rice, pasta, and cut down dramatically on pastry...NO PIES??.... (I have had a couple of sausage rolls from the Wild Bean concession in the garage opposite work....)

As a consequence my blood sugars have fallen to "normal" levels - ranging from 5ish to 8ish on average.

So why do I feel worse than before, and making myself miserable by denying myself stuff? yesterday night, I would have gladly stabbed someone for a BK Whopper (XL with bacon OBVS), or that tube of cheese and onion Pringles that are in the cupboard... but what did I have instead? Chicken, and a couple of pickled onions.

I haven't lost much weight either - 3 whole pounds in 3 weeks is less than expected, and as those shiters who have met me will testify, that won't have made much difference. 

At a bit of a crossroads I reckon; do I just think Fuck It, and do the insulin thing, and eat whatever I want, or persevere with the no carbs thing, and be miserable, or the third most extreme option is to give up all my meds, do what I want and hope the imminent heart attack kills me quickly.

Mate, please don't do anything you might regret. Please don't cut out any medication you are on. Please speak to your GP before you do anything in haste. 

I'm no expert AT ALL,  but there is never a bad time to make changes for the sake of your health. I don't think it's ever going to be easy to swap a "bad diet" for a "healthy" one. Your body will be craving it's dopamine kick from the sugary carbs.

You've already taken some positive steps to improving your health if you've been cutting out a lot of the stodge 👍.

Do you try and vary what you put on your plate?  Shaking up what you put on your plate (even just a little colour) and stepping away from "beige" foods will help. You'll quickly get fed up if you just eat the same 2 or 3 meals on repeat.  

Well Motorserv Wolverton are now on the list.  Service had gone massively downhill over the last year or so when they seemed to have a big staff shuffle.  

Today I walked in, no other customers in the shop, probably about a dozen staff present between those manning the phones and wandering in/out of the shop area.  Stood at the counter for the best part of 15 minutes (after I started noting the time), before leaving the stuff I'd picked up to buy on the counter and walking out.  Queue waiting for service by then was most of the way back to the door.  Nobody had so much as acknowledged my existence by that point.

If they really don't want my money, fine.  I'm a pretty lucrative and low stress customer, so their loss.  

Just need to find a halfway competent factor who aren't a sodding two hour round trip away now...

9 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Well Motorserv Wolverton are now on the list.  Service had gone massively downhill over the last year or so when they seemed to have a big staff shuffle.  

Today I walked in, no other customers in the shop, probably about a dozen staff present between those manning the phones and wandering in/out of the shop area.  Stood at the counter for the best part of 15 minutes (after I started noting the time), before leaving the stuff I'd picked up to buy on the counter and walking out.  Queue waiting for service by then was most of the way back to the door.  Nobody had so much as acknowledged my existence by that point.

If they really don't want my money, fine.  I'm a pretty lucrative and low stress customer, so their loss.  

Just need to find a halfway competent factor who aren't a sodding two hour round trip away now...

Start thinking more like us Welsh Hillbillies - it's two hours round trip to town, the factors have to order in everything so, unless you're planning on going in anyway,  it's pretty much online for anything non-generic. Just don't mention the postal strikes - I'm still waiting for a few bits from just before Xmas that were not sent tracked 24/48 :-( 
(Mind you, ordered some stuff this time yesterday and Mr Yodel dropped it off at 10 am - that's almost too happy for the grumpy thread)

38 minutes ago, barefoot said:

My internet has gone to shit. Well it hasn't, but every time I fire up the old Mac it connects to 'eufy RoboVac 301' - next door's fucking hoover!

Welcome to my struggle as a network technician.

"Wah, it's a network problem!" When in reality it's the user's device being idiotic. 🤣

On 11/28/2022 at 12:34 PM, cobblers said:

My new unit is in Bakewell and the journey back home from it is down some winding country lanes. I pop in to the new place most days and end up driving back from there in the dark most nights.

More times than I can count lately I have been stuck behind people doing 20/30mph, on and off the brakes constantly because they are driving with only their dipped beam on and can't see where they are going. Almost every night I end up having to overtake several cars, and if you're being overtaken on a country lane in your Audi A3 by a 35 year old van with fucking mud tyres on that does 60MPH flat out then I don't know what to tell you other than please hand your licence in at a post office. I know it's not a race, but if the best you can muster is 30MPH on a road that's "normal travelling speed" would be 55/60mph then something is amiss

SEVENTEEN FUCKING MILES PER HOUR IN A NATIONAL SPEED LIMIT!

2064601487_2023-01-0407_23_00.thumb.jpg.615ed8bd966632f051b4bae9da57a1e4.jpg

The humane thing to do for all of us would have been a pit manouver

My repeat prescription has been cancelled by the pharmacy even though I had a telephone consultation with the GP a week ago and they renewed my prescription. The GP can now only be contacted through filling in details online and waiting for a call back which can be up to 5 days. I have enough beta blockers to last me till Monday so hopefully they sort something before.

1 hour ago, barefoot said:

My internet has gone to shit. Well it hasn't, but every time I fire up the old Mac it connects to 'eufy RoboVac 301' - next door's fucking hoover!

I was very tempted to start playing Slayer through an unsecured Bluetooth device the other day.  I thought better of it but it was difficult to resist.

Remember kids, the 'S' in 'IoT' stands for 'Security'...

1 hour ago, goosey said:

My repeat prescription has been cancelled by the pharmacy even though I had a telephone consultation with the GP a week ago and they renewed my prescription. The GP can now only be contacted through filling in details online and waiting for a call back which can be up to 5 days. I have enough beta blockers to last me till Monday so hopefully they sort something before.

https://www.pharmacy2u.co.uk

After your current debacle is resolved, I can't recommend P2U highly enough.

2 hours ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

I was very tempted to start playing Slayer through an unsecured Bluetooth device the other day.  I thought better of it but it was difficult to resist.

Sending ominous stuff to unsecured printers is fricking hillarious.  I've heard of people throwing them out before now due to them believing the printer is posessed.

Don't do this, kids.

16 minutes ago, Talbot said:

Sending ominous stuff to unsecured printers is fricking hillarious.  I've heard of people throwing them out before now due to them believing the printer is posessed.

Don't do this, kids.

Printers are possessed.  Every time a printer is set up, an angel loses its wings.

On 1/3/2023 at 8:54 AM, outlaw118 said:

I'm tired and hungry all the time ATM (more than usual....)

Decided nearly 3 weeks ago to get my shit together re: my Type 2 diabetes. I know, GR7 timing right? Threatened with insulin, which I've tried before and found it to be too much pain for too little gain.

So, I've cut out bread, spuds (pretty much), rice, pasta, and cut down dramatically on pastry...NO PIES??.... (I have had a couple of sausage rolls from the Wild Bean concession in the garage opposite work....)

As a consequence my blood sugars have fallen to "normal" levels - ranging from 5ish to 8ish on average.

So why do I feel worse than before, and making myself miserable by denying myself stuff? yesterday night, I would have gladly stabbed someone for a BK Whopper (XL with bacon OBVS), or that tube of cheese and onion Pringles that are in the cupboard... but what did I have instead? Chicken, and a couple of pickled onions.

I haven't lost much weight either - 3 whole pounds in 3 weeks is less than expected, and as those shiters who have met me will testify, that won't have made much difference. 

At a bit of a crossroads I reckon; do I just think Fuck It, and do the insulin thing, and eat whatever I want, or persevere with the no carbs thing, and be miserable, or the third most extreme option is to give up all my meds, do what I want and hope the imminent heart attack kills me quickly.

Bob, get into your GP and ask them to do a full set of bloods. I've been feeling like shit, had a phone consultation and he asked for bloods for all manner of stuff.

The result:low folate, low iron, and particularly low vitamin D. These all contribute to the shitty feeling. 

Also, DON'T FUCK WITH YOUR MEDS.

2 hours ago, goosey said:

My wife forgot her medication, on a trip to our midweek home, so I managed to get an emergency supply to the nearest pharmacy.  3 months later, the GP is still sending the repeat prescription to this place, despite putting the request to revert to her normal place, on the top of each email request. In bold. 

I have my GP send mine to a place in Nechells, Brum, as it's the closest to my work, and they are open late. 

1 hour ago, Talbot said:

Don't do this, kids.

At our comprehensive school in 1996/7, I worked out which printer on the network was the one in the headmasters office and would print this picture out on it once a day, every day.

229739462_XjmYBXik(1).jpg.17a5d064601c2a9b4617cf59c723e35b.jpg

Just been told my best man died 2 days ago. Went to school with him, rode motorbikes together, watched stock cars, fixed cars together.

His first wife and my late wife were best mates.

Not seen him for a couple of years, but sent and received an Xmas card every year including this one.

Seems his second wife and stepdaughter both died on the 27th December. '22.   Strep A I think.

Bastard car sat for three days. Won't start. Couldn't move it to get my Granda's car close enough to jump start it as the rear brakes were jammed on. Freed them off, added jump leads, connected between Sandero and Fabia, no dice.

Battery has been on its way out for a wee while. New one is on order. Bah!

I'm not just grumpy, I'm fuckin fuming. Gearbox on van, fukd. @Ged,top bloke, of this parish arranged one for free, no less and it was nicely boxed up and given to UPS. This was the point where it plummeted down hill. Sent 18th Dec got to Telford damaged. No idea how much damage. Seems, on enquiry, they have now 'lost' it. Ffs. It's about a half a cube and weighs 38 kilos. How the fuck do you 'lose' it ? Now I have to try and find another one. It seems they are unicorn poop. Grrrrrrrrrr.