The grumpy thread

outlaw118

21 minutes ago, hairnet said:

Pills FTL

Ongoing FTL 

Superman FTW pancakes FTW

Got a week of pills tho

IMG_20221230_132748902_HDR.jpg

Vitamin d? I hate this time of year, dark from going out in the morning to getting home at night. That’s why I’ve tried to get out in the daylight every day this week.

nothing to do with sunny (isnt that vit a :D )

being a swarthy cunt dont need sunshine

something to assist calcium levels apparently

got in from hosp 6 yesterday sleep till 3pm

sleep again at 6 then got up today at 1ish

ffs :D

next karate kid now and bjorn nyland videos and tea

roadtrip maybe tomorrow (stereophonics) (c)

4 hours ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

@Ghosty was speaking to an ex-fireman the other day (he was my AA recovery driver) and they absolutely do reserve the right to barge cars out of the way if there's a serious fire and they can't access.

One of my neighbours is a retired fireman. He's very picky about people parking outside his house.

4 hours ago, richardmorris said:

I wonder what evri would call an unsuccessful delivery? My parcel isn’t here, and I was in, no photo for once, and gps shows the car parking.

C0DB706A-A9FD-4D74-8968-A2C3CB0BD4C2.jpeg

DC649DC2-DDD0-44A9-9F8B-E3977C1D6409.png

Been waiting for an Evri parcel since November 30th, no sign of it yet, the website just says delayed 

Why has eating out got to be so fucking difficult, overcomplicated and underwhelming these days? People wonder why hospitality has turned to shit, I think this is why..

Recently soured by a sub-par visit to one of my favourite branches of Harvester pubs, I thought I'd pop into another one of my old favourites - Pizza Hut. Their margarita (was) unbeatable. Subject closed :)

Firstly greeted with a queue out the door, yet 70% of the tables were unoccupied 🤔 - the flustered manager pops out asking all of us waiting to bear with them whilst the tables are being prepared, fair enough. 

Got given a menu, and he said to scan the QR code on the menu. Ok? Firstly connected to the internet and signed up to all the tosh required for that, after doing this, the page loaded and I was prompted to download and install an app on my phone. From there, it said we need to order our food in the app and pay contactlessly, in order to do that I needed to setup Google pay on my phone (it's a Xioami. No chance. Not happening. Never will. End of) - and then link Google pay to the app. Once all that is done, we order on the phone and it will be brought to us. 

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK?!

Fuck that, I asked to be served by a member of staff. Begrudgingly, they did.

Why is this the way forward and why does it have to be so fucking complicated to order food in a restaurant? The guests next to us spent about 10 minutes faffing about trying to get an internet connection, by the time they had ordered, our food was served!

Food was absolutely fucking awful, I've been served better Pizza in Wetherspoons for half the price including a pint... They only brought out one margarita which always seems to be the most popular, when they did it was basically cremated and dried out. The other pizzas looked like they'd been sat under the heat lamps all afternoon. 

Other guests were similarly miffed, with a couple of them demanding refunds for the lack of supply at the buffet. So it's not just me being a grumpy git I don't think. 

Spent £45 on lunch for three people and honestly would have been better off going into Iceland in the same town and buying a couple of pizzas for less than a tenner and having them at home.... 

The only places I can actually count on now is the local Wetherspoons and the couple of village pubs which I frequent who serve top quality pub grub. When out of area, I don't think I'm going to bother any more unless it's a Spoons which you can usually count on getting the same standard no matter which one you go to. Oh, and Greene King which is pretty decent, but far more unpredictable.

(Very long) rant over. Fuck chain restaurants. 

I'm fucking raging.
For some years now, I have been sending a "Care package" to ex-pat friends in the States - mainly Cadbury's chocolate, few other sundry items that are different / impossible / expensive to buy out there, especially since they have relocated to rural Oklahoma. I have previously used UPS via Parcel2Go.com and the delivery has been swift, and incident free. 

This time, I made the fatal error of using FedEx (again via parcel2go). I dropped the package (a shoebox) off, everything lovely. Delivery guaranteed by 22/12, but according to the tracking it was at Dallas by 20/12. And that's where it's all gone to shit. I received an email:

Hello,

Please see attached documents for your shipment. FedEx requires the following information in order for this shipment to clear through U.S. Customs:

1.      Provide a better description of this item - specific type (ex: Energy Drink, Chocolate bar fruit filled, Cream Filled Chocolate Eggs, Cake not filled, Tea, etc.)

2.      Provide the inner packaging information for this item – type of container it’s in and the quantity of product per container

3.      Provide the full name and address of the manufacturer/producer of the item  

4.      Provide the FDA Prior Notice form - Any party can obtain one here https://www.fda.gov/food/importing-food-products-united-states/quick-start-guide-prior-notice-food-articles-prior-notice-system-interface-pnsi (instructions attached in case needed)

1. THIS IS A REQUIREMENT – REGARDLESS OF IT BEING PERSON TO PERSON, END USE, NOT FOR RE-SALE, NO COMPANY LISTED, ETC.

Thank you,

I replied to this within 3 hours of receipt, with all the info I could muster,  except the FDA form, as I was at work, replying on my phone. The following morning I sent the FDA form reference number. I didn't receive a reply to either of these emails, I just assumed that all was well, and the time difference had sent everything to cock.

I then got another email a couple of days ago (Wednesday 05.06 GMT)

Hello,

Anything on this? Please note that this will be return at the end of the day tomorrow, if nothing is received.

Thank you,

FFS!
I replied again, quoting the contents of the 1st 2 emails, and asking that they acknowledge this one. The receipient had been copied in, and he replied too.....
Did they bollocks.

Today, I've had one from Parcel2Go

Good Evening Robert,

Hi. I hope you are well and safe.
I am sorry to inform you that Mrs Hazel Bird's parcel has been processed for a return.

I do understand how upsetting this must be for you and them. The delivery depot has now confirmed with the courier that your parcel has been processed for a return because the clearance dead line has passed. Unfortunately once a return has been processed by the depot, we are unable to over ride this decision, or even change/alter it's direction. We do sincerely apologise for this.

Cunts.
I've replied in fairly strong terms, complaining about FedEx's lack of customer service, but I'll be honest, I don't expect it'll get me anywhere.

3 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Why has eating out got to be so fucking difficult, overcomplicated and underwhelming these days? People wonder why hospitality has turned to shit, I think this is why..

Recently soured by a sub-par visit to one of my favourite branches of Harvester pubs, I thought I'd pop into another one of my old favourites - Pizza Hut. Their margarita (was) unbeatable. Subject closed :)

Firstly greeted with a queue out the door, yet 70% of the tables were unoccupied 🤔 - the flustered manager pops out asking all of us waiting to bear with them whilst the tables are being prepared, fair enough. 

Got given a menu, and he said to scan the QR code on the menu. Ok? Firstly connected to the internet and signed up to all the tosh required for that, after doing this, the page loaded and I was prompted to download and install an app on my phone. From there, it said we need to order our food in the app and pay contactlessly, in order to do that I needed to setup Google pay on my phone (it's a Xioami. No chance. Not happening. Never will. End of) - and then link Google pay to the app. Once all that is done, we order on the phone and it will be brought to us. 

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK?!

Why is this the way forward and why does it have to be so fucking complicated to order food in a restaurant? The guests next to us spent about 10 minutes faffing about trying to get an internet connection, by the time they had ordered, our food was served!

Food was absolutely fucking awful, I've been served better Pizza in Wetherspoons for half the price including a pint... They only brought out one margarita which always seems to be the most popular, when they did it was basically cremated and dried out. The other pizzas looked like they'd been sat under the heat lamps all afternoon. 

Other guests were similarly miffed, with a couple of them demanding refunds for the lack of supply at the buffet. So it's not just me being a grumpy git I don't think. 

Spent £45 on lunch for three people and honestly would have been better off going into Iceland in the same town and buying a couple of pizzas for less than a tenner and having them at home.... 

The only places I can actually count on now is the local Wetherspoons and the couple of village pubs which I frequent who serve top quality pub grub. When out of area, I don't think I'm going to bother any more unless it's a Spoons which you can usually count on getting the same standard no matter which one you go to. Oh, and Greene King which is pretty decent, but far more unpredictable.

Yup. Use local indy, ideally bistro or family-run. Chains rarely have enough pull.

Must admit I wouldn't entertain all that palaver just for a shit pizza when I can buy one from Lidl for £3.99 and do it at home.
Any time I eat out it's either the Italian or curry house in town where they know me by name or the local Chinese where the 'family run' ethos extends to the school age daughter waiting the tables.

14 minutes ago, Timewaster said:

Probably a clueless manager has taken the head office direction to encourage people to download the app a bit too seriously.

I was wondering if he's totally short staffed so has the front of house people cooking the pizzas?
Have to admit we went to a chain place in the summer (not having gone anyplace since the first lockdown) and were very disappointed - not sure if our tastes changed over the proceeding two years or what but, now, it's into Tesco/M&S - grab a big fillet steak (8oz will do both of use) mushrooms, asparagus and back home. 

13 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK?!

I haven’t even got contactless so I’d be fucked 🤣

14 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK?!

First thing I always do when entering a food place is scan the tables , are people eating and chatting or waiting with drinks , do they look pissed off .... Exit ..

Spent a lot of time working in the care system catering for 15 covers or so on my own  ,or working the canteen at lunch . so it's not the hardest job for a team who should be trained and able to do the job  . 

If you want a nice meal out somewhere, avoid every chain. It's nearly 2023 ffs, harvester, Weatherspoons and pizza hut have been absolutely lousy for a good twenty years. 

Any restaurant or pub chain sends all the profits to investors, they have a team of people trying to work out how they can save 2p per meal etc, they're all a race to the bottom. 

At least an independent place generally has someone interested in making a nice meal, and it's usually the owner who directly benefits from the food being good and bringing customers in. 

19 minutes ago, fairkens said:

Shame because Pizza Hut in the 90s was a decent place, or maybe it just appealed to my 10 year old sensibilities. TGI Fridays similarly circling the plug hole

Yeah, I have fond memories of both places but I think I was a pretty young kid who would be easily pleased by anything that wasn't a frozen pizza from kwik save. 

McDonald's and KFC are genuinely better food than most of the sit down chain places.

TGI opened up in London back in 86/87 when I was working @ Covent Garden and, right from the start, it was queued out and up the street Thurs-Sat nights away. We sampled it on a quiet night and were utterly underwhelmed. Mind you, that was 36 years ago so it's maybe improved?
Better food, drink and company were to be had at The Walkabout Club about 150 yards away.

On 12/30/2022 at 1:01 PM, GrumpiusMaximus said:

@Ghosty was speaking to an ex-fireman the other day (he was my AA recovery driver) and they absolutely do reserve the right to barge cars out of the way if there's a serious fire and they can't access.

We have the same problem here on our estate.  It's a new-build place (four years) and cars chronically park all over the road despite every house and flat having at least one parking space.  I'd say about 70% of people decided that they'd rather park on the road right outside of their house rather than use the space that's behind their house, the car port they have, etc.

I am waiting with glee for the day that there's a fire (obviously without anybody getting hurt) and all of the cars get barged out of the way.  That day will be glorious.

I live at the bottom of a cul de sac. Been here for twenty odd years.

My neighbours are lovely - but I want to move.

It's the traffic - it must be the only cul de sac where you could walk out into the road and get knocked over.

Many of the elderly residents that  were  here when we moved in have passed away. Now we have families with 2/3 cars. Plus there is always somebody having work done - vans and wagons trying to get through cause lots of issues. Fairly common for somebody to have their car bumped - us included.

There are too many cars.

1 hour ago, cobblers said:

If you want a nice meal out somewhere, avoid every chain. It's nearly 2023 ffs, harvester, Weatherspoons and pizza hut have been absolutely lousy for a good twenty years. 

Any restaurant or pub chain sends all the profits to investors, they have a team of people trying to work out how they can save 2p per meal etc, they're all a race to the bottom. 

At least an independent place generally has someone interested in making a nice meal, and it's usually the owner who directly benefits from the food being good and bringing customers in. 

I posted a few weeks ago about beefeater. Dire. These chains are passed around on the stock market - it's why they get worse.

25 minutes ago, Bren said:

I live at the bottom of a cul de sac. Been here for twenty odd years.

My neighbours are lovely - but I want to move.

It's the traffic - it must be the only cul de sac where you could walk out into the road and get knocked over.

Many of the elderly residents that  were  here when we moved in have passed away. Now we have families with 2/3 cars. Plus there is always somebody having work done - vans and wagons trying to get through cause lots of issues. Fairly common for somebody to have their car bumped - us included.

There are too many cars.

Our cul de sac is the same , I am sure some people try to hit 60 before having to brake over the 100 yards or so , a take off ramp would see some land in the next town !!

19 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

YES.

this happens in premier inns

beef brewers etc next door and they have the menu in the room and some food listed but mostly its qr code for the proper menu - also they dont list prices that instantly gets a FRO

used to pick places that had pubs resturants next door now i look for places that dont but have lidl aldi close buy sandwich etc stuff

much like the SVM (TM) did a bike thing a long time ago where we meet at hungry horse

while it was a nice ride out to it the food went downhill = CBA and rather spend ££ on petrol or going somewhere so not done one of those in maybe fifteen years

this place here has a toby and im no fan of roast dinners (ref xmas) but i went to the maccys instead and also £££ for brekky when i can maccys for 4 quid

many tea many rice cake

4 minutes ago, mitsisigma01 said:

Try the one in Horsham, you can get frozen , raw and cremated all on the same plate 😕

Don't think I've ever been to that one but Eastbourne opposite the train station and Burgess Hill have never left me disappointed :)

Keep meaning to try the other one in Eastbourne, used to be a garage I believe

At Bamburgh castle in the camper tonight, they have a few spaces in the 250+ space car park for you to stay overnight. Empty car park with maybe three or four people in it in total.

Some fucker comes and parks their van directly next to us, 2 foot from the sliding door. Literally the whole fucking place to choose from. 

I went out and warned them we'll be in and out slamming the door all night (dogs on steroids and needs a piss every hour). "no problem" they said.