The grumpy thread

outlaw118

16 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Toys. 

To this day, we are thankful to have our young miracle lad. We love him to bits and enjoy pretty much every part of parenthood, apart from the tiredness!

One thing which is less enjoyable though is STUFF. It seems to be a losing battle to keep on top of the many, many toys he owns. My OH doesn't hold back when buying but neither do many of our friends and family. It's lovely that they want to treat the fella, but my god, it's starting to get a bit Trebus around here.

I've managed to sell a few of the nicer bits which he's grown out of along the way, and have donated quite a few items to local charidee shops too. However, we still seem to have masses of toys littering the place and it's getting to the point where I'm half tempted to load the boot of the car up with three quarters of it and sack it off to charity. 

What do others do? I certainly think we need to be a bit more brutal with moving things on. 

I have seen that toy libraries are thing. Maybe there is one near you?

https://www.netmums.com/local/toy-libraries

2 hours ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Toys. 

To this day, we are thankful to have our young miracle lad. We love him to bits and enjoy pretty much every part of parenthood, apart from the tiredness!

One thing which is less enjoyable though is STUFF. It seems to be a losing battle to keep on top of the many, many toys he owns. My OH doesn't hold back when buying but neither do many of our friends and family. It's lovely that they want to treat the fella, but my god, it's starting to get a bit Trebus around here.

I've managed to sell a few of the nicer bits which he's grown out of along the way, and have donated quite a few items to local charidee shops too. However, we still seem to have masses of toys littering the place and it's getting to the point where I'm half tempted to load the boot of the car up with three quarters of it and sack it off to charity. 

What do others do? I certainly think we need to be a bit more brutal with moving things on. 

We had the same when our girls were younger. One year we got sooo many presents (toys) some of em didn't even get out of the under stairs cupboard in a full year. The next Christmas we said although we appreciate it can you all contribute to a new playhouse - it was good quality, basically a 5ft square low mini shed. Everyone who contributed choose a few words/wishes which I had plaques made up of and fixed them onto the playhouse. Just an example but there are lots of other "big" presents you could probably think of.

18 months ago, after 5 or 6 years of lots of use the playhouse got sold on Gumtree and the proceeds went in the kids bank accounts. You won't be able to do that with, as you say, STUFF in 2028.

5 hours ago, Remspoor said:

I have seen that toy libraries are thing. Maybe there is one near you?

https://www.netmums.com/local/toy-libraries

My wife used to run a toy library in Settle.  

My wife's mother saved all their toys in the loft, and when she had grandchildren, got them.out and devoted a wardrobe in the spare room to them, earning her the name "Toy-nanny" 

On 12/27/2022 at 12:17 AM, GMcD said:

My neighbour has recently starting parking their other motor outside my house. 

I couldn't give two shits as it's a free country but they keep bumping their car up onto the kerb. A lot of occasions they misjudge it and  gobble up most of the width of the pavement which means I have to side step shuffle past their car each time I want to walk up my own front steps/path. 

There is plenty of space to the side of my steps  (and plenty of parking roundabout without having to resort to bumping up on pavements). 

It's a trivial matter and maybe I shouldn't complain too much but ffs engage your brain a bit. 

I might just borrow my mates tiny trailer and park it on the road right outside my steps and leave it for a month just to be a passive aggressive tosser. 

Condom over the exhaust pipe. 

1 hour ago, New POD said:

Set one up? Suggest it to a local food bank ? 

I suspect the toy libraries ceased with Covid but I did see an item about “Baby banks” or Kids banks” on the news thus morning.  Like food banks but giving out donated kids stuff from nappies , to clothes to toys. I think they said there were 50 or so nationwide. 

9 hours ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Toys. 

Children's hospital

home at 630 from 8 last night

not threatening but could be caused by anything theyve done to me since july

odd that it happened last week

food pipe inflamed causing pain in chest - 111 said poss heart so they said a and e

all the shit thats been going on all linked together coulda been lungs heart kidneys glands all sorts - hence the advice didnt fuck about 

went to sleep when got in got up half an hour ago thinking it might have been 1100 :D

i also didnt know if it was thursday or friday

[/cornbluth] what a week im having

On 12/28/2022 at 4:28 PM, GMcD said:

I was in a funeral car this afternoon, directly behind the hearse.

We were in the outside lane going through town (as the inside lane was blocked ahead with parked cars) and this absolute boot in a white "m-sport" 5 series came flying up the inside and tried to force herself in between our car and the hearse, causing our driver to slam on the brakes to avoid hitting her.

If there is such a thing as karma I hope she gets her comeuppance the disrespectful CUNT. 

The wold isn't full of arseholes but the ones you come across on a daily basis are usually driving German cars 

Maybe all local 'history' pages are full of moaning old Karens who demand their town centre is transported back to Victorian times because the streets were cleaner/there was more shoppers/the market had a stall that sold knitted knob cosies for vacuum cleaners/etc, but tonight someone has said ref a 1950's photograph: 'that's when nuns looked like nuns' . 

1 hour ago, Cavcraft said:

Maybe all local 'history' pages are full of moaning old Karens who demand their town centre is transported back to Victorian times because the streets were cleaner/there was more shoppers/the market had a stall that sold knitted knob cosies for vacuum cleaners/etc, but tonight someone has said ref a 1950's photograph: 'that's when nuns looked like nuns' . 

Yet if you take a shit and paint it white and post an image on those want it the old way type groups you get banned?

On 12/27/2022 at 12:17 AM, GMcD said:

My neighbour has recently starting parking their other motor outside my house. 

I couldn't give two shits as it's a free country but they keep bumping their car up onto the kerb. A lot of occasions they misjudge it and  gobble up most of the width of the pavement which means I have to side step shuffle past their car each time I want to walk up my own front steps/path. 

There is plenty of space to the side of my steps  (and plenty of parking roundabout without having to resort to bumping up on pavements). 

It's a trivial matter and maybe I shouldn't complain too much but ffs engage your brain a bit. 

I might just borrow my mates tiny trailer and park it on the road right outside my steps and leave it for a month just to be a passive aggressive tosser. 

Ask them to be considerate, and if nothing changes 100% park something there to stop them, it's the only way to deal with it aside arguing with the neighbours. I've got two cars parked on my street that aren't outside anyone's house or affecting anyone's access, in freely available space where anyone can park and nobody has any right to the space, no obstructions caused. I've had at least one car parked there most of the time since Aug '21. On the other side of the road to where they're parked is a house with one car and I'm pretty sure one occupant, there's a garage and a double drive as well as road space outside the house, and the occupant parks a single car on the drive and that's it.

Occupant approached my dad and asked if my cars could be moved to accomodate their Christmas visitors. 
Rightfully my dad responded no, use the space you have and don't utilise. Mercifully there was no further objection. 

Few years ago we had some nuisance neighbours who were for some time, too stupid to utilise a two car drive that they paid to have laid, and too lazy and entitled to raise their own kids and train their dog that they left it to the grandparents, who were constantly coming and going, double parking and causing obstructions by poorly double parking alongside my car even though other space was available (the space up the road that I now utilise). They once knocked on our door and asked us to move my car that was parked half on the pavement outside my house so they could get off their drive (they lived on the opposite side of the road and a house down from us), and were duly told to go away as it wasn't our problem, and frankly a bit ridiculous - all they had to do was learn to fucking reverse or turn the other way off their drive, the road is 250 yards long and has exits to the main road at both ends FFS. It took an extended campaign of passive aggressive parking outside our own house on our part, and full on arguments between them and the other neighbours about bad parking before they dialled back their problem parking, but it never fully stopped until they moved away.

Lay a 'claim' to the space or deal with their shite forever. It's yours as much as anyone else's. 

16 hours ago, Cavcraft said:

You know, my dad was a nun.

@Ghosty was speaking to an ex-fireman the other day (he was my AA recovery driver) and they absolutely do reserve the right to barge cars out of the way if there's a serious fire and they can't access.

We have the same problem here on our estate.  It's a new-build place (four years) and cars chronically park all over the road despite every house and flat having at least one parking space.  I'd say about 70% of people decided that they'd rather park on the road right outside of their house rather than use the space that's behind their house, the car port they have, etc.

I am waiting with glee for the day that there's a fire (obviously without anybody getting hurt) and all of the cars get barged out of the way.  That day will be glorious.

21 minutes ago, hairnet said:

Pills FTL

Ongoing FTL 

Superman FTW pancakes FTW

Got a week of pills tho

IMG_20221230_132748902_HDR.jpg

Vitamin d? I hate this time of year, dark from going out in the morning to getting home at night. That’s why I’ve tried to get out in the daylight every day this week.

nothing to do with sunny (isnt that vit a :D )

being a swarthy cunt dont need sunshine

something to assist calcium levels apparently

got in from hosp 6 yesterday sleep till 3pm

sleep again at 6 then got up today at 1ish

ffs :D

next karate kid now and bjorn nyland videos and tea

roadtrip maybe tomorrow (stereophonics) (c)

4 hours ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

@Ghosty was speaking to an ex-fireman the other day (he was my AA recovery driver) and they absolutely do reserve the right to barge cars out of the way if there's a serious fire and they can't access.

One of my neighbours is a retired fireman. He's very picky about people parking outside his house.

4 hours ago, richardmorris said:

I wonder what evri would call an unsuccessful delivery? My parcel isn’t here, and I was in, no photo for once, and gps shows the car parking.

C0DB706A-A9FD-4D74-8968-A2C3CB0BD4C2.jpeg

DC649DC2-DDD0-44A9-9F8B-E3977C1D6409.png

Been waiting for an Evri parcel since November 30th, no sign of it yet, the website just says delayed 

Why has eating out got to be so fucking difficult, overcomplicated and underwhelming these days? People wonder why hospitality has turned to shit, I think this is why..

Recently soured by a sub-par visit to one of my favourite branches of Harvester pubs, I thought I'd pop into another one of my old favourites - Pizza Hut. Their margarita (was) unbeatable. Subject closed :)

Firstly greeted with a queue out the door, yet 70% of the tables were unoccupied 🤔 - the flustered manager pops out asking all of us waiting to bear with them whilst the tables are being prepared, fair enough. 

Got given a menu, and he said to scan the QR code on the menu. Ok? Firstly connected to the internet and signed up to all the tosh required for that, after doing this, the page loaded and I was prompted to download and install an app on my phone. From there, it said we need to order our food in the app and pay contactlessly, in order to do that I needed to setup Google pay on my phone (it's a Xioami. No chance. Not happening. Never will. End of) - and then link Google pay to the app. Once all that is done, we order on the phone and it will be brought to us. 

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK?!

Fuck that, I asked to be served by a member of staff. Begrudgingly, they did.

Why is this the way forward and why does it have to be so fucking complicated to order food in a restaurant? The guests next to us spent about 10 minutes faffing about trying to get an internet connection, by the time they had ordered, our food was served!

Food was absolutely fucking awful, I've been served better Pizza in Wetherspoons for half the price including a pint... They only brought out one margarita which always seems to be the most popular, when they did it was basically cremated and dried out. The other pizzas looked like they'd been sat under the heat lamps all afternoon. 

Other guests were similarly miffed, with a couple of them demanding refunds for the lack of supply at the buffet. So it's not just me being a grumpy git I don't think. 

Spent £45 on lunch for three people and honestly would have been better off going into Iceland in the same town and buying a couple of pizzas for less than a tenner and having them at home.... 

The only places I can actually count on now is the local Wetherspoons and the couple of village pubs which I frequent who serve top quality pub grub. When out of area, I don't think I'm going to bother any more unless it's a Spoons which you can usually count on getting the same standard no matter which one you go to. Oh, and Greene King which is pretty decent, but far more unpredictable.

(Very long) rant over. Fuck chain restaurants.