The grumpy thread

outlaw118

On 12/25/2022 at 3:05 AM, Ghosty said:

He got too drunk to drive and paid someone he was with to drive him home. Took exception to their driving and turfed them out, tried to drive himself home and ended up putting the Partner on its roof. No idea what happened but he tried to hide or flee the scene and got bit on the leg by a police search dog. 

Waiting to hear what plod do with him but he supposedly blew almost high enough for a year's ban.

A year ban is the absolute minimum basic sentence.  Can be reduced to 9 months by signing up for a drink-drive rehab course.  While the limit is 35mg, enforcement action usually only starts at 40mg.  That is actually quite a low level of alcohol;  the amount needed to be such a shit driver as to put a Partner on it's roof is a lot more than that (or is he just a terminally shit driver anyway?).  Sounds to me like he'll be in for a lot longer ban than 12 months.

.. also sounds like a massive bellend ..

33 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

I don't know what  sort of test he took, but the result was quite significantly higher than that.

Bye-Bye his license for maybe 2-3 years then.  If it was a lot higher (like over 100 or something similarly high) he might be looking at a suspended sentence, or (especially given that there was an accident involved) maybe a custodial sentence.

On 12/26/2022 at 7:49 PM, maxxo said:

might as well tech myself to weld with this car

Using a rusty car to learn to weld is like learning to cook by becoming head chef at a 5-star rated restaurant.   Rusty, painted, undersealed, electroplated, variable thickness sheet steel is one of the most difficult things to weld there is.   By comparison, welding clean new 5mm-thick steel section is childs-play.  If you really want to lean to weld, start with heavier sections of new steel.  Rusty car bodywork is what you have to work up to, never where you should start.

4 hours ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

Coil spring snapped on the Golf.  Whilst sat at Fleet Services.  Supposed to be going to stay in North Devon.  That’s fucked that then.

Thinking of sacking this car off.

Same happened to me this afternoon, went to reverse into a parking bay and heard the familiar loud twang/thud - made the poor chap walking across the carpark near me jump a bit!

Had a quick shufty, bottom coils gone, but its sat back down ok so it'll be alright till I get round to it. It was only replaced last summer, fuck alls built to last these days.

So the to do list gets longer, leaking egr cooler, broken front spring and the front pads and discs haven't much life left in them.

45 minutes ago, Talbot said:

Bye-Bye his license for maybe 2-3 years then.  If it was a lot higher (like over 100 or something similarly high) he might be looking at a suspended sentence, or (especially given that there was an accident involved) maybe a custodial sentence.

The so-called penalties for drink-driving are FAR too soft.  The minimum ban for a first offence should be LIFE.  Second offence?  12 months inside, no remission.  In both cases, five-figure fines, confiscation of the vehicle, and if it's not yours (eg on hire or company-supplied) then the offender is 100% liable for the cost of it.  (Exactly the same should apply for drug-driving too.)  Oh and all the above comes in before the offender hits anything or anyone!

Vote for me for Home Secretary, I'll make the roads safe!

20 minutes ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

But how far have you driven since then?

Err maybe a couple of k 🤣.

I'll consult my spreadsheet.

15 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Since we're talking about @Popsicle  , I should expect no less than a total mileage equalling that of 3 return journeys to the moon ;)😂

Alright, alright they where changed 113k miles ago - see nothings built to last.............

They did outlive the top mounts changed at the same time - only got 70k out of them.

Front pads and discs a paltry 115k - bloody junk :bouncesmile:.

All said with tongue firmly in cheek.

46 minutes ago, Popsicle said:

Same happened to me this afternoon, went to reverse into a parking bay and heard the familiar loud twang/thud - made the poor chap walking across the carpark near me jump a bit!

Had a quick shufty, bottom coils gone, but its sat back down ok so it'll be alright till I get round to it. It was only replaced last summer, fuck alls built to last these days.

So the to do list gets longer, leaking egr cooler, broken front spring and the front pads and discs haven't much life left in them.

Patrol driver advised that I could drive it but when I said it was 2 hours home he gave me a knowing look and put down on the form that two springs had broken so I’d get bumped a bit on the recovery.

Have to say the AA have been really excellent.  Reported and recovered within 90 minutes - including a patrol visit.  Currently in the recovery truck and the guy is fantastic.  Will get the rear springs done and consider options…

Going to attempt the drive to Devon again tomorrow in the Bini.

14 minutes ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

Patrol driver advised that I could drive it but when I said it was 2 hours home he gave me a knowing look and put down on the form that two springs had broken so I’d get bumped a bit on the recovery.

Have to say the AA have been really excellent.  Reported and recovered within 90 minutes - including a patrol visit.  Currently in the recovery truck and the guy is fantastic.  Will get the rear springs done and consider options…

Going to attempt the drive to Devon again tomorrow in the Bini.

Thats good going for the AA at this time of year.

Deffo not worth the risk driving too far with snapped springs, although theres probably thousands of cars driving around with them snapped and the driver is blissfully unaware - its the knowing bit that grates, wincing over every pothole, going slowly round every bend - ignorance really is bliss.

Good luck in the Bini!

Well, three of my children have had car related grief over the festive period. Last week son on Barrow in Furness partners BMW 2 series had a spring break and burst a tyre just before they were due to drive down to ours.Car was recovered to a garage and they came by train. Christmas day evening. son in South Wales got as far as Ross on Wye when the alternator failed on the Signum I supplied him with last spring. Car recovered and he returned home and drove up in his Cactus on Boxing Day. He prefers to use the Signum as it's a better at being a  five seater than the Cactus. Finally son in Windsors partner was hit by a car on a roundabout in her Touareg. Other car seems to have come off worse, but some damage to hers. Oh, and I had trouble with the cooling on the Zafira, as mentioned in another thread. Not a good time, car wise at least. 

Went to go visiting relatives in the fiat yesterday, first time it's moved for a week or so (we tend to use the Ignis for local stuff) and found this:

PXL_20221221_125117816.thumb.jpg.d22570211bdd6516a6643f36b3f22d5a.jpg

Some useless fuckwit courier decided to try and swing their van round in a parking spot just big enough to fit a Suzuki Ignis. No note or anything, one of the neighbours spotted them turning and didn't think to the firm or reg numbers. Could be any one of 4/5 different ones that have been this way over Christmas.

How the fuck they thought a full size van would fit here, Christ knows! 

IMG-20221022-WA0004.thumb.jpeg.8d108e2ce2a070df5e524a582784a184.jpeg

Looks like I'm phoning around body shops/chips away places to sort the scratches and dents out. Fuck knows how much a wheel arch trim will be, thankfully the alloy and tyre are alright. 

Fucking lovely. 

On 12/27/2022 at 12:17 AM, GMcD said:

My neighbour has recently starting parking their other motor outside my house. 

I couldn't give two shits as it's a free country but they keep bumping their car up onto the kerb. A lot of occasions they misjudge it and  gobble up most of the width of the pavement which means I have to side step shuffle past their car each time I want to walk up my own front steps/path. 

There is plenty of space to the side of my steps  (and plenty of parking roundabout without having to resort to bumping up on pavements). 

It's a trivial matter and maybe I shouldn't complain too much but ffs engage your brain a bit. 

I might just borrow my mates tiny trailer and park it on the road right outside my steps and leave it for a month just to be a passive aggressive tosser. 

Someone visiting a neighbour does this.I don't know if they visit a house in my street or ( i suspect) in the next road. Always outside my house half on the path half on the road. There are spaces further along where you can park  fully on the road. They choose to park half and half because it is opposite a dropped kerb. Doesn't bother me as if I walk anywhere it is always left and the car is blocking the path the other side of my drive. The car is often there all weekend and my neighbour opposite said it is sometimes awkward getting on and off her drive. I've never seen the owner but my neighbour has. I told her next time ask him politely if he knows what that T shaped lump of concrete painted yellow on the edge of my hedge is and does he know the meaning of the yellow perspex sign attached to it with a large H and some numbers printed on it ?  Yep he always parks on or very close to the fire hydrant cover on the path outside my house.

I was in a funeral car this afternoon, directly behind the hearse.

We were in the outside lane going through town (as the inside lane was blocked ahead with parked cars) and this absolute boot in a white "m-sport" 5 series came flying up the inside and tried to force herself in between our car and the hearse, causing our driver to slam on the brakes to avoid hitting her.

If there is such a thing as karma I hope she gets her comeuppance the disrespectful CUNT. 

1 hour ago, SunnySouth said:

That's very good news. What's the betting it was likely heading for a banger ring somewhere; I can't see a Monty being a stolen to order classic somehow? Hopefully the owner upgrades his security arrangements :)

I’m pleased he’s got it back. I know nothing of these, but aren’t they FWD? Is that ok for bangering?

he needs a crook lock and gearstick lock asap.

i have a couple of these type of ABUS crook lock. Very heavy and good as a weapon too!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/295160450458?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=bHJhR4o-Rz-&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=xypGSnHgQ7K&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

00B8BB57-02BF-48E7-9B9E-8E74A3530A3F.png

33 minutes ago, GMcD said:

I was in a funeral car this afternoon, directly behind the hearse.

We were in the outside lane going through town (as the inside lane was blocked ahead with parked cars) and this absolute boot in a white "m-sport" 5 series came flying up the inside and tried to force herself in between our car and the hearse, causing our driver to slam on the brakes to avoid hitting her.

If there is such a thing as karma I hope she gets her comeuppance the disrespectful CUNT. 

I know where her next ride needs to be...

My old Megane decided to lock up her rear drivers brake for me last night as I was reversing to park up after a lovely 80 mile round trip out visiting family. The grump is really for today's weather as I needed to get parts asap so got soaked as my wet working gear is at work.07b641772e76fc5fa7203398d6230711.jpg

Toys. 

To this day, we are thankful to have our young miracle lad. We love him to bits and enjoy pretty much every part of parenthood, apart from the tiredness!

One thing which is less enjoyable though is STUFF. It seems to be a losing battle to keep on top of the many, many toys he owns. My OH doesn't hold back when buying but neither do many of our friends and family. It's lovely that they want to treat the fella, but my god, it's starting to get a bit Trebus around here.

I've managed to sell a few of the nicer bits which he's grown out of along the way, and have donated quite a few items to local charidee shops too. However, we still seem to have masses of toys littering the place and it's getting to the point where I'm half tempted to load the boot of the car up with three quarters of it and sack it off to charity. 

What do others do? I certainly think we need to be a bit more brutal with moving things on.