The grumpy thread

outlaw118

3 hours ago, Rust Collector said:

Last year I was scratching round the house looking for wrapping paper when I remembered that I had some rolls of brown paper set aside for car bodywork. It's nice and robust but I did get some long stares from my family members as I handed the gifts over that year 😅

Would they prefer you wrapped them in old copies of razzle ? 

2 hours ago, myglaren said:

Fixing rear indicator on C3, went into the house for some tools and:

IMG_20221223_120711824_HDR.thumb.jpg.d8c6e5470848d275cf9835bf45de3978.jpgIMG_20221223_120724403_HDR.thumb.jpg.657a6823d3a7a041904c8930a250159e.jpgIMG_20221223_120727429_HDR.thumb.jpg.23f03ca5c8468fe32aaa61e5669dba9c.jpg

Shelf pulled out of the wall.  Funny smell?  Punctured butane canister.

Also bottle of sulphuric acid smashed, lots of broken glass.

May have to clean it up.  One day.

Out of curiosity, what do you have sulphuric acid for?

Plague fun continues. My throat is still really bad so I can't get enough food in. My last proper meal was Wednesday so I feel this. The throat has also started with something new that I will spare you the details of, but this means that I have not been able to sleep this night.

But the fever is better so that's something.

On 12/22/2022 at 11:49 AM, outlaw118 said:

Beginning to think that I might actually be a massive cunt.

I don't go out much, time, money and arsedness (lack of) tend to get in the way these days, but pre-pandemic I reckon I went out at least once a week, met up with the lads, banger racing , gigs. 

Now, I don't know whether I'vew changed, or pissed someone off, but late summer all* the chaps met up at a local pub by the river, and judging by the photos on Faceybook it looked like a "return to the good old days".

Was I invited? Was I fuck. Never mind.

Last weekend a similar bunch of friends* went out in That London, for the "annual get together". Was I invited? This is despite one of the protagonists walks past Outlaw_Towers a couple of times a week to visit his olds, another I saw a week before, and another I went out with the night before!

I've been working in a depot for about 2 years, in every day during lockdown, then in and out itermittently since - one day a week I'm there all day, other times it's random/weather dependent.

They had their Christmas party last night, and I only know about it because the cleaner told me that the blokes toilets had overflowed because someone had bunged the urinal up with silly string.

I know I shouldn't let it bother me, but.....

Sounds like a lucky escape to me. But that might just be me. I've taken to going out on my own in recent years. It's great, go when you want, come home when you want, no waiting for anyone else to faff about wondering what the hell they they are doing.

That may not work for nights out drinking and stuff but days out at car/bus/train events it's a joy. 

5 hours ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

Plague fun continues. My throat is still really bad so I can't get enough food in. My last proper meal was Wednesday so I feel this. The throat has also started with something new that I will spare you the details of, but this means that I have not been able to sleep this night.

But the fever is better so that's something.

Drink as much (water) as you can. I found that real improvement started after a week. 

Great...our oven has just decided to completely lose its marbles.  Great timing!

Who the fsck thought it was anything resembling sane to cram something like a cooker full of bloody electronics anyway?  Utter stupidity.

As always, great timing.  Not as though we need that today/tomorrow or anything.

1 minute ago, 3VOM said:

Have you been sold out of date stock? Wouldn't be the first time I've heard of it with sealants and the like.

The tube says 9/9/23, I'd rather optimistically gone up the step ladder to do a job above a window. Cant even get it out with the gun braced against the bench in my shed.

36 minutes ago, 3VOM said:

You have cut the top off the tube under the screw on nozzle? Just checking

Now you mention it...

I've actually got some out, but without the nozzle on which kind of negates it being in the handy form of premixed in a tube.  Also means I had to smear it in the gaps with a lolly stick.

I've just read some Amazon reviews "doesn't come out of the tube" 

So I'm not the only idiot 😆

37 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

They do know how to pick their time don’t they. My sister’s Bosch died last Christmas after a power cut. BBQ time!

Last year it was Christmas Day evening that the fridge packed in.  That I was able to diagnose, reverse engineer and bodge until a spare part could be sourced.  Not looking like that's an option here as everything is microprocessor controlled...so there are no actual thermostats or anything to control things with even if I could get power to where I need it.

21 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Last year it was Christmas Day evening that the fridge packed in.  That I was able to diagnose, reverse engineer and bodge until a spare part could be sourced.  Not looking like that's an option here as everything is microprocessor controlled...so there are no actual thermostats or anything to control things with even if I could get power to where I need it.

As an appliance engineer, I dread Christmas,with ovens packing up when it's too late to do anything and you feel like Bad Santa. Don't normally work Fridays, but was out yesterday fitting a new hob as the old one was tripping the electrics, stopping the oven as well. Could have just disconnected it, but managed to source a replacement so got the job done in one visit. Tenant happy, letting agent happy, nice little earner for me as it was raining heavily and couldn't do the jobs at home I'd got planned till it stopped anyway. Have you got an oven in your motorhome you could use?

3 minutes ago, Dobloseven said:

As an appliance engineer, I dread Christmas,with ovens packing up. Don't normally work Fridays, but was out yesterday fitting a new hob as the old one was tripping the electrics, stopping the oven as well. Could have just disconnected it, but managed to source a replacement so got the job done in one visit. Tenant happy, letting agent happy, nice little earner for me as it was raining heavily and couldn't do the jobs at home I'd got planned till it stopped anyway. Have you got an oven in your motorhome you could use?

Oven?  Yes.  Gas?  Not so much.

Edit: Just found more fun.  It's not actually wired into its own circuit.  Had to kill power to it to stop it bloody beeping...half the downstairs sockets have also been switched off...

Can't say I'm massively surprised...disappointed yes, not really surprised.  It's part of the house I haven't fixed/had fixed so of course it's fscked up.