The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Mine was tracked and clearly sat in a sorting office until yesterday, or they didn't update the tracking info.

Set one of them up to test, they are seven metres long and destined to replace the fluorescent tubes in my son's garage.

Said in the instructions that they were 5/12/24V so used a 19V power supply.  They lasted five minutes.  Ooops :(

Trying to swap out the seized alternator in MrsDC's Yaris on a rare afternoon without sleet and/or freezing fog.

1824836892_IMG_20221220_1449432.thumb.jpg.72ca2ec28e2eb658a4ef1d1e9d4cf6d8.jpg

The fasteners came off easily enough, and the old spark-factory came away from the block bracket with only the mildest of encouragement needed from the Friendly Persuader.

949917183_IMG_20221220_1408452.thumb.jpg.8ef95b032bb93c68c52d7050a6237e8d.jpg

So now the old unit is down the back of the block, nestling on the subframe - and there is NO way to get it out.

172410603_IMG_20221220_1410302.thumb.jpg.aea803115608f41cde6a2e4617c8ef9b.jpg

The HBOL blithely assures me that unhooking the exhaust rubbers and moving the pipe aside a little will allow the withdrawal of the alternator from below, but this is plainly bollocks as there's all driveshafts and steering rack in the way. Not even close.

So it looks like I'll have to pull the air box, throttle body and inlet manifold in order to get the units swapped, which of course will require new gaskets.

And the motor factor advises me that the throttle body and inlet manifold gaskets are NLA individually - though they can sell me a full gasket set for £100.

So eBay it is, then...but I'm a bit sceptical of their delivery time optimism.

1288029204_Screenshot_20221220-1530322.thumb.png.0282130c590c55c39b3a05ebed882c1e.png

Highly doubt this car will be back on the road this year.

Bugger.

the zorst on the C1 is starting to sound a bit louder , I think a internal baffle has gone awol ...

good point is the resultants zorst noise is nice and audible to my some what downgraded ears,

which makes it easier to follow what  the highly refined powerplant is doing ...

hope fully it will pass the mot in the new year !!

24 minutes ago, Datsuncog said:

Trying to swap out the seized alternator in MrsDC's Yaris on a rare afternoon without sleet and/or freezing fog.

The fasteners came off easily enough, and the old spark-factory came away from the block bracket with only the mildest of encouragement needed from the Friendly Persuader.

So now the old unit is down the back of the block, nestling on the subframe - and there is NO way to get it out.

The HBOL blithely assures me that unhooking the exhaust rubbers and moving the pipe aside a little will allow the withdrawal of the alternator from below, but this is plainly bollocks as there's all driveshafts and steering rack in the way. Not even close.

So it looks like I'll have to pull the air box, throttle body and inlet manifold in order to get the units swapped, which of course will require new gaskets.

And the motor factor advises me that the throttle body and inlet manifold gaskets are NLA individually - though they can sell me a full gasket set for £100.

1288029204_Screenshot_20221220-1530322.thumb.png.0282130c590c55c39b3a05ebed882c1e.png

Bugger.

I have the same engine in my Daihatsu Sirion, the alternator will come out the bottom but is a total shitshow of lowered subframe and no access. Going in the top is massively easier because one the intake manifold is out you have LOADS of access.

It took me about 40 minutes to extract the alternator this way, start to finish. I would suggest there is little harm to be done by mingebagging it and reusing the intake manifold gasket in the very short term, you can replace it easily when the new one arrives (in about June) 

I thought I'd documented this with pics, but haven't somehow? Anyway, its way easier taking it out the top

If you hate yourself, then @Tubbo gave instructions on how to get the alternator out the bottom if you go back a page in my thread. 

52 minutes ago, Stanky said:

I have the same engine in my Daihatsu Sirion, the alternator will come out the bottom but is a total shitshow of lowered subframe and no access. Going in the top is massively easier because one the intake manifold is out you have LOADS of access.

It took me about 40 minutes to extract the alternator this way, start to finish. I would suggest there is little harm to be done by mingebagging it and reusing the intake manifold gasket in the very short term, you can replace it easily when the new one arrives (in about June) 

I thought I'd documented this with pics, but haven't somehow? Anyway, its way easier taking it out the top

If you hate yourself, then @Tubbo gave instructions on how to get the alternator out the bottom if you go back a page in my thread. 

Hey, thanks so much for that! Good reading in there...

I think that settles it then - will get the inlet manifold off tomorrow, weather permitting; swap the alternators over and and just put it all back together using the original gasket if possible.

Like yourself, I thought there might be room to manoeuvre the alternator over toward the much less cluttered gearbox end for withdrawal - but the clutch cable and sundry other bits in the way thwarted this approach.

Removal from the bottom end looks like a right old fuckabout, but it's useful to have photos of both processes!

I'm not even sure it's possible to do exactly the same on this particular car, as it's a run-out model with electric power steering (not even mentioned in the HBOL) so has additional motors and gearing lurking above the o/s driveshaft which would also need removal - and I've no idea how I'd even start on that.

So - watch this space, I guess, and find out whether someone with the mechanical ability of a mince pie manages to pull this one off...

light blue touch paper and ....

Honda drivers , what is with their parking ????

went to the farm shop today , the big car  park was empty and I parked one small cars width from the log bunker so that the rear of my car faced the shop door .. we had the shop to ourselves most of the time which was great ..

and wife wife proceeded to buy out the shop , as she does , sack of spuds to start ,  it was totalled up as we went and I took the goods to the car and shoved them in the boot ..  and so on , I was surprised how much we squeezed in the C1 ....

in the time it took me to load the car ( which was quite a while ) , no fewer than three Hondas tried to park in the gap between the car and the log bunker , and every time it was just a bit tight !!!   , and they moved on .. after all they had another 50 or so spaces to choose from

then when we cashed up and walked out of the shop , and another Honda was tried to shuffle into the space after I got in the car !!   , somat like 6 inches between us , and the driver  was stuck in his car till I drove off !!   ,

even my wife commented on the parking  nonsense ..  and this is some one who normally  refers to a car by its colour ..

4 hours ago, Datsuncog said:

Bugger.

Undo engine mount,pull engine forward a tad and you should have enough room.

Have you tried to get it out over the top of the gearbox,I had to do it that way once,but I can't remember on what🤪

4 hours ago, Stanky said:

This: I'd reuse the gaskets. If there's no sign of air leaks, then great. Continue. If any problems, order the gaskets and change them when they arrive

Last time I did this was to change the spark plugs on my Jaguar S Type (on the V6s you can't access the plugs on one bank with the manifold in place). Put the manifold back on, never had an issue. Car is gone now so I still have the gaskets that turned up later (quite expensive - I should dig them out to offer on ebay) 

spoke to the mother earlier and found out they killed their Nissan Leaf with a fiat 500 on the way to Southampton to catch the cruise tommoz😨

they've had it a month😲

nice police lady took them home so they can rest and get taxi in the morning

24 minutes ago, Bren said:

Kelvin McKenzie calling striking paramedics " vile shitbags."

What can you say? It takes one to know one.

This makes me fucking fume. Paramedics are on a call centre supervisor wage and they have actual, incredible life or death responsibilities never mind the stress and the hours of it. The entire workforce has relied on the goodwill of the staff for yonks.

You can earn *way* more money with less skills on callout as a callout engineer for any type of industrial equipment and you don't have to actually be any good at it.

We should be so grateful to every one of them because they are absolutely not doing it for their own benefit.

4 minutes ago, cobblers said:

This makes me fucking fume. Paramedics are on a call centre supervisor wage and they have actual, incredible life or death responsibilities never mind the stress and the hours of it. The entire workforce has relied on the goodwill of the staff for yonks.

You can earn *way* more money with less skills on callout as a callout engineer for any type of industrial equipment and you don't have to actually be any good at it.

We should be so grateful to every one of them because they are absolutely not doing it for their own benefit.

I did it for 8 years, burned me out. We don't need overpaid tossers like him spouting his crap. He doesn't know what real work is. I can't see him doing a 60 hour week, overrunning every shift and 15 hour nights for £30k a year some how. 😡😡

10 minutes ago, cobblers said:

Paramedics are on a call centre supervisor wage and they have actual, incredible life or death responsibilities never mind the stress and the hours of it.

Paramedics are pound for pound the best value clinicians the NHS employs. 

University educated. Autonomously managing undifferentiated conditions across the spectrum and across a range of ages, from serious to minor, management, treatment and possibly discharging including onward referrals.  And it's all for £18p/h. 

It's no wonder we are being snapped up by every other sector in the NHS and outside. 

I'm leaving the NHS, I've got a job teaching new Paramedics in University in January. I'll always be a Paramedic who teaches, not a wooly jumper chino wearing lecturer. Still going to part time with my local trust. 

Whilst I'm there still, I'll be waving my placard with all my other proud friends and colleagues 

9 hours ago, cobblers said:

As I've said in another thread, I earn the 'average' nurses' wage after three years working in IT and started without any formal qualifications in IT.  I work from home five days a week, work around 40 hours a week and whilst it's a skilled job, I don't have to work in adverse conditions, on site at all hours and if I make a mistake, nobody is going to die.  I'm highly unlikely to be traumatised by things that I see and the worst I might get is a shouty person on the phone.

I don't think I should be paid any less but I do think that nurses and paramedics (and many other allied health professionals) pay should at least double to recognise the importance, value and skill of those sectors.

14 minutes ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

That's the thing.  Because of their professionalism and care, he actually would...

Of course you are right. Even when being threatened and abused we would always give our best. That's what makes me so angry about knobs like this, they have no idea...

12 hours ago, junkyarddog said:

Undo engine mount,pull engine forward a tad and you should have enough room.

Have you tried to get it out over the top of the gearbox,I had to do it that way once,but I can't remember on what🤪

I'd thought of moving the engine forward a bit, but there's less than half a centimetre before the exhaust manifold hits the radiator - and if I'm having to remove the rad as well as the engine mount to get access, there may be limited time advantages over just taking the inlet manifold off!

I've tried every possible way to jiggle it out from all angles, including bringing it over to the gearbox side, and sadly it's just not happening. So close, but there's just too many brackets and pokey-out bits for it to come out. Not to mention getting the new one back in again...

1194802383_IMG_20221220_1601162.thumb.jpg.fc414f6a4c5b3eb5fce49008bb7dbc4e.jpg

Rematch is scheduled for lunchtime... I have to say, remembering the relative ease of doing similar jobs on a 1256cc Viva unit isn't lost on me!

12 hours ago, Noel Tidybeard said:

spoke to the mother earlier and found out they killed their Nissan Leaf with a fiat 500 on the way to Southampton to catch the cruise tommoz😨

they've had it a month😲

nice police lady took them home so they can rest and get taxi in the morning

We passed this yesterday whilst on the way to Clarks village. The Leaf looked like it had been in a really heavy front ender. We were surprised that the back end of the 500 wasn't completely folded up. Hope they're ok.

12 hours ago, sheffcortinacentre said:

Hmm a year ago all these type of people nowhere heros saving a nation in crisis.

Oh how we forget.

As my missus (physio) said at the time 'clapping doesn't pay my gas bill'. 

After all the crap that was spouted during the pandemic some of the rhetoric about the strikes is a new low.

1 hour ago, Dick Longbridge said:

We passed this yesterday whilst on the way to Clarks village. The Leaf looked like it had been in a really heavy front ender. We were surprised that the back end of the 500 wasn't completely folded up. Hope they're ok.

yeah they not too bad- usuall seatbelt bruises and me mother said " don't airbag go off with a bang!"

they got a cruise to recover on starting today!

they said they were on a stretch of road with yellow stripes and the car just didn't slow down like they were expecting

14 hours ago, Bren said:

Kelvin McKenzie calling striking paramedics " vile shitbags."

What can you say? It takes one to know one.

Being from Liverpool I'd never tire of kicking the shite out the Prick.

I had paramedics out to my father in law a couple of weeks ago and they were fucking awesome, prevented a hospital admission, hammered his GP by phone for not doing his job and they were way over their shift end time as well, I emailed NWAS to pass on my gratitude and to say how impressed I was by their skills and dedication. 

My colleagues were on strike yesterday but my union didn't get enough votes, NHS is creaking like never before 

FUCK THE GOVERNMENT

1 hour ago, cort1977 said:

As my missus (physio) said at the time 'clapping doesn't pay my gas bill'. 

After all the crap that was spouted during the pandemic some of the rhetoric about the strikes is a new low.

but politicians have never been 'high' have they? apart from at a work event obvs