The grumpy thread

outlaw118

7 hours ago, Merryck said:

Driving along this morning in the Micra I pulled over to let someone in a bright green softop Saab pass coming the other way. Rather than drive towards the other side of their lane, or even in the middle, they fucking knocked my wing mirror off. The guy had tons of room. I was livid. I got out and picked up the mirror then turned around and followed him. It wasn't hard, he was doing 10mph tops even as he got into the national speed limit zone.

I thought he was fucking with me because he kept swerving out into the middle of the road (even around blind corners) but then I realsied I couldn't see through his windows. The entire fucking car was iced up.

So I overtook him as soon as I had the chance and stopped in front of him. It was an old guy who seemed to be totally unaware of the situation. Having been thoroughly pissed off, I calmed down immediately (outwardly anyway) when I realised this guy just didn't have a clue. I tried to help him open his car door but it was frozen shut. NO idea how he managed to get into the thing.

I scraped some of the ice from the outside to demonstrate what I was talking about and shouted through the glass that he needed to clear his windows because it was dangerous, and even after doing that I couldn't see through it, there was so much ice on the inside.

I don't know what the fuck he thought he was playing at driving his car in that state. There are schools along that road. I've driven some real shitters, and I have a really low bar for what I consider 'good enough' to drive, but I have to say being able to see is up there with what I consider a basic requirement.

Luckily the glass and mirror were fine and it just popped back into place.

I nearly got T boned on the way home from work at 6.15 am this week by an Insignia estate with every window frosted over. I watched it wobble around a roundabout and nearly hit some railings too. Incredible!

+1 on the dawdling fuckwits - got stuck this morning behind some daft bint doing 30 on a clear, gritted NSL A-road.  Fortunately I was only two cars back and the 107 gets from 30 to 60 in second gear quite rapidly for a 1-litre shopping trolley so I eventually managed to get past, but if someone's driving at half the limit just because there's a bit of frost on the verge, WTF are they going to be like when there's actual snow on the road?

Drove 120 miles there and 120 miles back for an equipment inspection and meeting today.  Supplier had lied to us about all sorts of things, the Galvanising on the steelwork was shit, and the meeting was horrible, with various accusatory tones being used all over the place.  Took me 3h40 to get there and 3h30 to get back.  A journey that should be 2-and-a-bit hrs tops.

Fucking knackered.

1 hour ago, Aston Martin said:

Fuck me. Haven't moved in 14 hours and I'm dehydrated... But I don't wanna be sick again.

Had this lurgy for a week. Headache and now a productive cough. Was silly going in to work yesterday.

Ah yes, that weather when you discover that the previous owner of that car you recently bought was too cheap to put actual screen wash in the washer bottle which is now frozen solid.

Thankfully they do appear to have used antifreeze in the cooling system, though I'd still rather have had it changed before we saw last night's temperatures.

Hoping at some point this afternoon the Caddy will defrost enough that I can actually get into it - need to attack the door seals with silicone spray it seems.

Put the price up for MoTs from £40.00 to £45.00 last month. Last month most people were "yeah, everything's gone up" This week I've had two ask how much are MoTs  "HOW MUCH, oh okay thank's"  one booked in then half an hour later cancelled because they obviously found someone cheaper. Another although paid said he didn't begrudge paying but also mentioned it was a 12% increase. My price has been 40 quid for the last 8 years but trade still get it for £35.00. With the cost of electric I have had to put the price up. If the moaning about the increase carries on I might just call it a day and walk away.

13 hours ago, Aston Martin said:

Fuck me. Haven't moved in 14 hours and I'm dehydrated... But I don't wanna be sick again.

sip about a thimble full at a time- not enough to puke with but will help with the dehydration

then when you're up to it flat coke- moar palateable than dioralite!

2 minutes ago, Noel Tidybeard said:

sip about a thimble full at a time- not enough to puke with but will help with the dehydration

then when you're up to it flat coke- moar palateable than dioralite!

Been in bed 28 hours and left to pee twice.

Had three coke zero, Fanta, innocent smoothie. 3 lemsips and one slice of toast.

12 hours ago, meggersdog said:

Put the price up for MoTs from £40.00 to £45.00 last month. Last month most people were "yeah, everything's gone up" This week I've had two ask how much are MoTs  "HOW MUCH, oh okay thank's"  one booked in then half an hour later cancelled because they obviously found someone cheaper. Another although paid said he didn't begrudge paying but also mentioned it was a 12% increase. My price has been 40 quid for the last 8 years but trade still get it for £35.00. With the cost of electric I have had to put the price up. If the moaning about the increase carries on I might just call it a day and walk away.

Took one of ours for Mot.in the week. The place I use, used to do pretty well exclusively Mots with three bays running. Think they did have another site for repairs.Recently the original owners SiL has taken over. Just the one biggest bay now so they can do larger vehicles. Book the tests in on hour slots and uses two old boys in their seventies who work part time in turns. They make sure the test lasts the whole hour by the time the paperwork is done and paid for. Still on £40.I asked the owner how he makes it pay. Says he doesn't really, but he can't charge any more because there's people locally doing it for less. He does roll his eyes sometimes when he sees how long the old boys take. He did mine himself once and it took him 20 minutes. 

13 hours ago, meggersdog said:

It's been 10% inflation in the last year alone.

12 hours ago, meggersdog said:

I now get my tests for " trade m8" but ive paid the full £54.85 many times in the past for the convenience. 

45 quid is more than reasonable, its just some peoples thickness thats the issue.

Working in retail i hear this shit all the time. Even in the wealthy area i now work in. 

Some arsechops who complains about something they actually need for their car to function(wipers / oil / bulbs etc) is expensive then spend 4 quid on a bloody jelly bean air freshner. 

£45 is still a decent price.

The place I use charges £54, but don't go looking for extra work and have helped me out in the past so I'm happy to cough up. If I wasn't then I'd like to think I'd simply piss off elsewhere without a commentary about it, as seems to be the norm these days.

I've used the same place for the last 12 years, it costs me £50. 

I get on with the tester, he has pointed out things in the past I have missed and has been a little generous on some occasions as he knows it gets sorted straight away.

I don't know how you make money on the £40 nevermind the £35 for the trade.

The equipment, training and experience isn't free but people only see the £50 an hour and assume that equates to a wage.

1 hour ago, mrbenn said:

£45 is still a decent price.

The place I use charges £54, but don't go looking for extra work and have helped me out in the past so I'm happy to cough up. If I wasn't then I'd like to think I'd simply piss off elsewhere without a commentary about it, as seems to be the norm these days.

I’m sceptical about places charging £25 for an MOT.  They are obviously trying to attract the people with least money whose cars need most work , and are assuming most of that work will be theirs.

Our local village bar put the price of their beer up by 30 stotinkis a bottle,around 13p. Everyone complained,stayed at home and the bar has now shut 

34 minutes ago, Metal Guru said:

I’m sceptical about places charging £25 for an MOT.  They are obviously trying to attract the people with least money whose cars need most work , and are assuming most of that work will be theirs.

Agreed.

TBH I tend to think that £54 for a trained professional to go over the whole car and check its safe is an absolute bargain.

Just taking a wild guess here, but I'd imagine if you're the sort of absolute knobhead who's 'not going to donate to the RNLI anymore' because they rescued some immigrants, then you probably never actually donated to them anyway. 

19 hours ago, meggersdog said:

If they can’t find £45 they need to get off the road quite frankly. On reflection these that will look for a £25 MOT aren’t the custom you want. 

Cars on the left been parked there a while, car on the right a new arrival.

MVI_2358_Moment2.thumb.jpg.7064b547295ca139efc2997ee80ccbb3.jpg

Just selfish really.  I don't know if it's the neighbour who lives there, a visitor, or a random plonker but they do seem to insist on parking in that exact spot regardless of what else is parked on the road or driveway of the house they're in front of, usually at everyone else's inconvenience.  I'd say blocking the pavement is an issue too except that most of the people it would bother around here insist on walking in the middle of the road.

Still, it was nice to get out in the car (and not do anything else, sod trying to go into any sort of shop at this time of year, even if I am testing neg now) for the first time since getting Covid, which can also get in the bin with the random bouts of exhaustion and the coughing fits waking me up repeatedly still.

On 12/16/2022 at 8:12 PM, meggersdog said:

Dont blame you, everywhere around here is £54.85 now, there's just so much demand and not a lot of competition. We're usually stone dead in the fortnight up until Christmas but not this year so something has changed in my area! Had a flyer through the door this morning for a place offering them for £35. That's very unusual for Sussex, I dont think I've seen one advertised cheaper than £40 for well over 5 years now apart from the fast fit chains.  We do them by arrangement so its the (trade) test fee + a tiny arrangement fee but its the convenience factor of dropping it off and we do the rest instead of them having to go to the next town over and either wait or get a taxi/lift or whatever back! Most people are happy, and you only get a few OMGHOWMUCH out of every hundred. 

10 hours ago, Metal Guru said:

They make me laugh, quite often we have customers who come to us, baulk at the test fee, bugger off to Halfords, pay £25 there and come back with a list of axle bushes or shock absorbers typically. So we then rectify the "failures" and they take it back down for their retest. You know what's funny, things like axle bushes or weeping shocks for example were overzealous fails and might have been a P+A with the tester(s) we use anyway so they've cost themselves more of their own time and money! 

The MOT place (admittedly three doors down) from me collect the car/van off my drive, MOT it and drop it back off for £50.

They even still just charge  £50 when it's a class 4 (big van MOT) and they have to drive it all the way into sheffield and it's half an hours drive each way on top of the MOT, so I can't knock them for that tbh.

those mithering at £15 extra for the MOT somewhere they trust are the same sort of wet brained fuckwits who buy a brand new car on PCP because it's only £30 a year to tax. Know the cost of everything but the value of nothing. Spend all day walking around Skegness in the rain to try and find the cheapest place for fish and chips and never have chance to sit down and enjoy the true beauty of the place.