The grumpy thread

outlaw118

We recently had a new bathroom installed at home which pretty much ate all our savings. The original bathroom was knackered and leaking, causing some damage to the ceiling below so we'd budgeted for a new one when we bought the house. 

Anyway, as everyone knows finding tradespeople is super hard nowadays but we eventually found someone to do it. Checked their previous work and everything was great- told us it was going to be a week to do the job tops. Fast forward 3 weeks and they had to rush to finish the job as they were often only on site a few hours a day or never showed up at all. The rush resulted in the bathroom door architrave being left in a nail and gap ridden mess (refitted by me) and a replacement outside soil pipe incorrectly installed (will be remedied by me at some point) and a few mother annoyances where finishing touches were not completed correctly.

The big issue though was the oblong shaped shower tray. There was far too much flex towards the centre and you could feel it "dip" between the supports they'd fitted. We got on to them but they said that as it had been fitted as per manufacturers instructions  it was fine and any additional supporting legs would be £125 to fit. We kidded ourselves that it must be fine and that a pool of undrained water must be a standard feature but inevitably a crack appeared. We've fired off a message to them to advise us what the next move is but I'm not holding out much hope that they'll come and fix it without an argument, the whole tray needs to be ripped out and replaced. The bathroom was paid for via a bank transfer so a charge back isn't possible. I'm fully expecting them to just ignore the whole situation and not do anything. 

So, after burning through our life savings we're back in the same situation as we were before, i.e. an unusable bathroom. I should've just saved the money and bought a couple of Austin Maxis or something.

Over 50s walking in the road instead of on the pavement. What's that about?  Quite regularly I'll go around a blind bend to find a pedestrian walking down the road with a completely unobstructed pavement beside them, sometimes with dogs or shopping.  Baffling because they're not crossing, they're walking as though the road is their own personal pavement.

Maybe put your seatbelt on before you set off too, I know it's only been a legal requirement for almost forty years and these new rules can be difficult to remember, it would just be nice if you could make the effort now and then.  A bit of forward planning would save all that futzing about while you're trying to turn on your lights, balance the clutch, and pull out into traffic without indication a whole lot easier.

While we're at it, if folks could also remember that the road has two sides that'd be super, especially since you keep ending up on my side and giving me the evils when I'm in the way.

It always gets worse as you get nearer the festive period too.  It's like people just lose their minds down here.  Driving is going to be absolute hell until February because you have no idea what new surprises are in store, or from whom.  Is that mummy bus going to randomly throw a door open as I drive past?  Is that supermini going to suddenly stop or change lanes with no warning?  Does that executive class hatchloon understand what merge-in-turn is?  Can that moped with L plates tell the difference between red and green lights?  Fucking crapshoot.

21 minutes ago, vulgalour said:

Over 50s walking in the road instead of on the pavement. What's that about? 

Most oldies think that by the time November comes round all pavements are covered in black ice. As the roads are salted, they use that so they don't slip over and bust their ankles, knees, legs. Also it is far easier and more lucrative to claim of your insurance than claim off the council if you run them over.

Don't forget the new highway code rules that have been put in place to make drivers 100% responsible for the actions of all others.

PS I'm over 50 and still use the pavement, especially when parking or coming up to a busy junction.

The door mirror on falcon Ute has been twatted so hard this morning that it's dented trim on door & marked glass , caused by a Suzuki alto being chased through estate by an unmarked traffic BMW .

Contacted 101 told go to local copshop & report  turn up there to be greeted by a sign saying the station is closed (sept 22 to jan23) for refurbishment.

Place is full to bursting with police vehicles.

Go to next nearest  locked up no one answering intercom rest of  Sheffield police vehicles here.

Dear customer, your crime is important to you , our opening hours are 9.00 - 9.05  every 32 Nd of the month .

If you have  a crime outside these hours please contact us on social media where you'll find  all our fantastic clear up statistics &  crime prevention apps.

Remember your council tax is our priority.

left hand is bruised and battered from the nurse at the hospital failing to be able to put the canula in from thursday

clench fist it hurts the roundy bit next to thumb in palm feels like the muscles been pulled

3 different times she tried even tho the veins are strong and theyve been in that side lots of times

another nurse put it in the opposite side in me arm

was at gig last night couldnt hold tea or clap

4 hours ago, vulgalour said:

Over 50s walking in the road instead of on the pavement. What's that about?  Quite regularly I'll go around a blind bend to find a pedestrian walking down the road with a completely unobstructed pavement beside them, sometimes with dogs or shopping.  Baffling because they're not crossing, they're walking as though the road is their own personal pavement.

We have this all the time and it is always old 'uns. We're on a steep hill. There is a verge on our side but no pavement. The other side of the road (where there are no houses) has a lovely wide smooth pavement. Never any obstructions. Where do the gals and geezers walk? Either in the road on our side or on the verge, truly baffling.

9 hours ago, vulgalour said:

Maybe put your seatbelt on before you set off too, I know it's only been a legal requirement for almost forty years and these new rules can be difficult to remember, it would just be nice if you could make the effort now and then.  A bit of forward planning would save all that futzing about while you're trying to turn on your lights, balance the clutch, and pull out into traffic without indication a whole lot easier.

While we're at it, if folks could also remember that the road has two sides that'd be super, especially since you keep ending up on my side and giving me the evils when I'm in the way.

It always gets worse as you get nearer the festive period too.  It's like people just lose their minds down here.  Driving is going to be absolute hell until February because you have no idea what new surprises are in store, or from whom.  Is that mummy bus going to randomly throw a door open as I drive past?  Is that supermini going to suddenly stop or change lanes with no warning?  Does that executive class hatchloon understand what merge-in-turn is?  Can that moped with L plates tell the difference between red and green lights?  Fucking crapshoot.

Also, if you pull up to let passengers out/check your phone/scratch your itch please turn your headlights off. Especially if on a hill, and/or on the offside.

This annoyed me a lot more than it should have done
i dread to think what it’s doing to the glass
i couldn’t bear that, I’d have to buy a new blade instantly 
1DA70EF7-F25B-49C1-A945-BFA360D80A22.thumb.jpeg.90fa177fbb91a66211a0514f4c998fe8.jpeg
Take pride in the fact that you would never exhibit such moronic behaviour, and that theirs is ultimately going to cost them dear.

And possibly buy some shares in Autoglass.

Sister has just turned up in the pouring rain with a juke covered in horse shit and the wheel arch liner smashed to shit. I loved melting holes in it with a hot screwdriver to tie wrap it vaguely back together.

Yes assholes, I should have built a relationship with nissan 8 years ago and had them make the arch liner out of thicker plastic. I realise it's all my fault.... 

4 minutes ago, Wack said:

Some cunt in a Skyline has left 2 dead and 2 fighting for their lives in Birmingham at a car  meet , one a 16 year old girl 

I hope he gets 10 years but I doubt he will 

Jeez - the driver was 54! Certainly old enough to know better, should get the book thrown at him.

On 11/20/2022 at 1:47 PM, vulgalour said:

A few months ago I was nearly run over by some old bastard in a Peugeot who was so busy fighting to put his seatbelt on while driving that he went straight through the red light on the pedestrian crossing I was using.  I hope he saw the rude signs both me and another pedestrian made at him as he drove away, not that the stupid twat would have been looking anywhere near his mirror.

9 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Um...Why is my utility room floor about an inch deep in water?  Crap...guess I'm dropping everything else to sort that.

Praying it's not coming from the boiler...

Turned out to be a pipe that had rubbed through under the sink.  Because when they rerouted a bit to move the washing machine outlet they didn't put any supports on the pipe.  What, corners cut by the previous owners in this house?  Unheard of!

Quick repair done with a bit of rubber heater hose and jubilee clips.  I'll sort it properly in the spring, but where it is means draining the entire system down which I ain't doing at this time of year.  Oh, and I put some clips on the offending bits of pipe so they can no longer flap around and rub against each other.

That took about 20 minutes.  Mopping up the water on the other hand took bloody hours.  At least it's a concrete floor and it was fresh water so no real damage done.  Heater and dehumidifier left running in there for now with the lino peeled back.

Trying to work out what is wrong with the C6 over the phone with my wife. I seriously can’t work out from her answers if the suspension has collapsed or if the engine has a misfire!  

It’s like a game show and I’m not allowed to ask any more questions, nor will she go and look at the car! 

1 hour ago, jamescarruthers said:

Trying to work out what is wrong with the C6 over the phone with my wife. I seriously can’t work out from her answers if the suspension has collapsed or if the engine has a misfire!  

It’s like a game show and I’m not allowed to ask any more questions, nor will she go and look at the car! 

It’s magically fixed itself today apparently! (move to grin thread?!)  

So that buys me some time until a I get a few hours at the weekend to work on it.  Really don’t have time for this but half the coils are easy and the other half only require the intake manifold to come off (or that was the case on same engine in the Renault). 

failed my ADI part 1 again today, hazard perception, bit pissed about that

alternator has failed on the XM

got to drive to scotland on saturday to collect said alternator

slight job uncertainty at the minute

however, had a really nice interview at halfords autocentre today....an actually enjoyable interview and lovely staff, might use them for MOTs

17 minutes ago, maxxo said:

Condolences, and I suspect you might find working at Halfrauds somewhat...entertaining. Maybe, if you get it, you should think about a "Confessions of a..." thread? Something we seem to be lacking atthe moment :)

22 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

Condolences, and I suspect you might find working at Halfrauds somewhat...entertaining. Maybe, if you get it, you should think about a "Confessions of a..." thread? Something we seem to be lacking atthe moment :)

oh yes i shall be doing that!

i'd always disregarded that one as it doesn't look the best from outside, but they seem friendly enough

20 hours ago, maxxo said:

however, had a really nice interview at halfords autocentre today....an actually enjoyable interview and lovely staff, might use them for MOTs

Halfords boss on Radio 4 this am saying how they are trying to recruit lots of new staff to train as vehicle techs. sounded like good opportunities so hopefully it works out for you.