The grumpy thread

outlaw118

12 hours ago, adw1977 said:

Apparently they use a lot less electricity, but with the typical lifespan of modern appliances I doubt it will pay back within its lifetime.

They don't just use "a lot less", they use "a shittonne less".  A vented dryer might use 4kwh of electricity to do a load of washing.  A condenser (non-vented) might be 2.5kw (and you get to keep the heat in the house).  A heat-pump dryer will use about 1kw for the same load.  At 50p/kwh (which we are fast approaching) that will save £1.50 per load.
A cheap vented dryer is £150.  A cheap heat-pump one is £350.  That works out at 133 loads to break even.  Or roughly a year if you do 2-3 loads a week.

Plus, that 1kw of energy ends up as heat in your house, meaning you need less "other" heating, so you gain benefit from that money spent.  With a vented dryer, you're essentally throwing 2.5kw of heat out of your house, AND having to draw in cold air from outside to make up the difference, so in winter a vented dryer will actively make your house colder.

2 hours ago, andy18s said:

So it works then ?!?

What does? I need to see a motorcycle headlight on full beam to notice it? I can see perfectly well if they use dipped beam. I’d notice hi-vis clothing even more but that’s not cool like black leather.

Its counter productive anyway. It annoys me , so I’m less likely to be nice to them. If they come up behind me with full beam, I reach straight for the fog light. If they’re coming towards me, I have more lights than them.

Man, I'm really getting fed up of constantly being bothered by people, it's getting me down, I just want some fucking peace and quiet. It's just none fucking stop, the phone calls and messages just keep coming. Whether it family, work stuff, friends etc, all just constantly bothering me for stuff. I have every distraction completely sets me back from whatever I was trying to get on with, it will take me an hour to get going again, and then the fucking phone goes. If I don't answer it they ring my wife, or the land line, or just turn up and bang on the door.

Now somehow several estate agents have got my phone number and email address from somewhere and are badgering me about my wife's house for sale. It's not even my fucking house, and it's already on the market with a different estate agent! fuck off you vultures!

I'm about 3 phone calls away from throwing my phone in the canal and driving to Dundee in my bare feet. 

2 hours ago, cobblers said:

Man, I'm really getting fed up of constantly being bothered by people, it's getting me down, I just want some fucking peace and quiet. It's just none fucking stop, the phone calls and messages just keep coming. Whether it family, work stuff, friends etc, all just constantly bothering me for stuff. I have every distraction completely sets me back from whatever I was trying to get on with, it will take me an hour to get going again, and then the fucking phone goes. If I don't answer it they ring my wife, or the land line, or just turn up and bang on the door.

Now somehow several estate agents have got my phone number and email address from somewhere and are badgering me about my wife's house for sale. It's not even my fucking house, and it's already on the market with a different estate agent! fuck off you vultures!

I'm about 3 phone calls away from throwing my phone in the canal and driving to Dundee in my bare feet. 

Don't forget the Toblerone.

I currently work in a job where I can be interrupted any minute with an asinine and pointless phone call.  I've told my manager that my goal is to 'get the fuck off the phones'.  Fortunately he supports this notion and cogs are turning...

Documenting new App I'm SPOC for after taking over most of the integration management. Late in day saw no costing or impact analysis done etc.... In certain critical 3rd parties. Then found a shit load of bugs.... 

Code Freeze Sunday - dozey arseholes have a patch/fix build OK in SIT. Is it in Prod as of 5pm Friday - of course fucking not! 

Apart from fellow shiter comms for picking up my purchase this phone well be well and truely off in 15mins once though the door. 

Fucked if I'm bailing them out on my weekend 

1 hour ago, Back_For_More said:

Documenting new App I'm SPOC for after taking over most of the integration management. Late in day saw no costing or impact analysis done etc.... In certain critical 3rd parties. Then found a shit load of bugs.... 

Code Freeze Sunday - dozey arseholes have a patch/fix build OK in SIT. Is it in Prod as of 5pm Friday - of course fucking not! 

Apart from fellow shiter comms for picking up my purchase this phone well be well and truely off in 15mins once though the door. 

Fucked if I'm bailing them out on my weekend 

Might as well be in Russian!

Anybody else had "an absolute cunt of a day" ? :(

Wrong parts, no shows, wrong parts, delayed parts. DID I SAY WRONG PARTS. 

Fecking started at 7am and called it a day just now. Feeling no further forward as something that ought to have been done in two hours max and started first thing is still stuck on the ramp and will be over the weekend because of WRONG PARTS and the most fucking dense parts suppliers. 

At least the customer was understanding and not an asshole which would have topped it off

FFS man :(

Small problems, people have had much worse etc but I needed to get that off my chest as I haven't had a day as frustrating as this for ages 

Went through 3 shock absorbers to find the right one... Then once that was fitted, remember the drop link that had to be cut off? Got the new one out and it was FUCKING WRONG 

..and breathe 😬

9 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

At least you haven't posted this in the WRONG PART of the forum! 🤣

Oh, you did lock up before you left...?

Don't 😂

I wasn't the last out otherwise you could be damn sure I'd be on my way back there to check now you said that 🤣

34 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Anybody else had "an absolute cunt of a day" ? :(

Wrong parts, no shows, wrong parts, delayed parts. DID I SAY WRONG PARTS. 

Fecking started at 7am and called it a day just now. Feeling no further forward as something that ought to have been done in two hours max and started first thing is still stuck on the ramp and will be over the weekend because of WRONG PARTS and the most fucking dense parts suppliers. 

At least the customer was understanding and not an asshole which would have topped it off

FFS man :(

Small problems, people have had much worse etc but I needed to get that off my chest as I haven't had a day as frustrating as this for ages 

Went through 3 shock absorbers to find the right one... Then once that was fitted, remember the drop link that had to be cut off? Got the new one out and it was FUCKING WRONG 

..and breathe 😬

This is why I order parts from Autodoc if time isn't pressing. Their parts catalogues are good enough to make sure I get the right thing. But I know you can't do that in a busy garage. For a start off it takes so much time. Which explains why the average factor worker gets it wrong so frequently. When I was in the trade there was one factor who never gave you enough time to give any details to make sure you got the right item. He would be putting the phone down before you could start getting the words out.

1 hour ago, artdjones said:

This is why I order parts from Autodoc if time isn't pressing. Their parts catalogues are good enough to make sure I get the right thing. But I know you can't do that in a busy garage. For a start off it takes so much time. Which explains why the average factor worker gets it wrong so frequently. When I was in the trade there was one factor who never gave you enough time to give any details to make sure you got the right item. He would be putting the phone down before you could start getting the words out.

It would be nice to be able to order online but as you say, sadly it's very rare you have enough time in advance to know exactly what you need. 

When you're physically cross referencing the part numbers and pictures it's far more likely you're ordering the right one than blindly trusting the bloke on the other end of the phone who assures you "that's the one mate" ! 

51 minutes ago, adw1977 said:

What concerns me about heated airers is that all the moisture becomes airborne in the house, doesn't it cause damp?

I’m only me so not a huge amount of washing. It’s in my bedroom which is single glazed with a patio door, and so drafty. And I always have a skylight open at the top of the apartment . 
My sister has one too which is in their spare/guest room and has the window open. 

1 hour ago, adw1977 said:

What concerns me about heated airers is that all the moisture becomes airborne in the house, doesn't it cause damp?

Better than any heated airer or vented tumble dryer in terms of damp would be a standard clothes horse and a proper dehumidifier. 

Solve two problems at once, dry your clothes and reduce the levels of damp in your home

1 hour ago, Lankytim said:

Holy crap! Looks totally unsurvivable unfortunately. 

Other is a P-63 Aircobra.  Sad, probably a few fatalities there.

How does it happen?  P-63 (the single engine) is banking and the B17 is in his blind spot. B17 is also in the blind spot. Mid air collisions happen in aircraft frighteningly often without technology actively there to prevent it. 

These pld warbirds are without modern ADS-B avionics.  It's not a modern Traffic/Collision Avoidance System like airliners use but would have alerted them to a conflict.  There's trouble in the USA, the FAA who look after civil aviation (these are ex military units owned by foundations/private individuals) nearly shut down the operation of these aircraft after a couple of recent fatalities.

Here's a good video on the last B17 crash, really recent. Gives an idea of how these planes operate with various exemptions compared to modern aircraft. Chap who does the videos is an ex USAF transport pilot, now civilian 777 Pilot with a strong interest in safety and human factors. Keep an eye on his channel for more about this one.

3 hours ago, richardmorris said:

How on Earth does that happen these days?

A VFR flight today is not really any different to a VFR flight at any point during the history of manned flight.  The onus is on the pilot to look out of the window and make sure (s)he doesn't hit anything.  If other aircraft are in blind spots, then they aren't visible..