The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Yeah...to show the degree to which Motorserv are taking the piss with the £40 wiper pair...

Halfords aren't exactly the cheapest...but here's the exact same pair!

Screenshot_20221107_164257_com.kiwibrowser.browser_edit_163135401435522.jpg

Yeah...when you're charging more than double what Halfords are after something is well amiss.  Don't think I'll be darkening their door again.  Which is a pain as they have by far the best track record of actually having day to day stuff on the shelf out of any of the factors I know of around here.

They used to be really good at that store until about a year back too.  Then they had a big staffing change and it really went down the pan.

Just broke one of these snap rings putting a cv joint back on a corsa.
Phone Vauxhall and they say not available separately buy a outer joint for nearly £300 and it comes with it.....
All my motor factors say no to snap ring but joint available next day for £70.
J&R driveshafts have a complete shaft for £65 next day delivered so that's an expensive snap ring failure.
And after ordering it I was chatting to them and they said they sell a box of snap rings for £30 but how often would I use them?
09e786cc5106de8fac9bad6e8cdf1be7.jpg

Bloody lying couriers. Apparently they attempted delivery of our new vacuum cleaner. Righto, both of us were in all day and didn’t spot anyone attempting to do anything. 

It’s like the Wii they attempted to deliver three times last year before we cancelled our order. For reference we do live in the countryside but on a main road and every satnav I’ve ever used takes you there (no other houses to confuse the issue).

26 minutes ago, louiepj said:

Just broke one of these snap rings putting a cv joint back on a corsa.
Phone Vauxhall and they say not available separately buy a outer joint for nearly £300 and it comes with it.....
All my motor factors say no to snap ring but joint available next day for £70.
J&R driveshafts have a complete shaft for £65 next day delivered so that's an expensive snap ring failure.
And after ordering it I was chatting to them and they said they sell a box of snap rings for £30 but how often would I use them?
09e786cc5106de8fac9bad6e8cdf1be7.jpg

Probably want one when the one that comes with the driveshaft also snaps.....

1 hour ago, jakebullet said:

Maybe I need to think laterally. Wonder how big a fireball a butane refill in his burning bin would be? Hypothetically of course.

May I recommend (and bear with me on this) the tubs that bovine teat antiseptic treatment comes in?  As a kid, my cousin and I may* have thrown a few of them on a bonfire at my aunt's farm.  They're very airtight, so when they go it's entertaining.  Not so entertaining if you're not expecting it...

5 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

How fscking much?!?

Just went to get a set of replacement wiper blades for the Caddy from Motorserv.  Nearly forty bloody quid!  For a standard 18 and 21" blade...after their computer tried (again) to specify these stupid aero conversion things that don't fit because of the kink in the end of the arms.  Plus look absolutely awful on anything made before 2010.

Think I'll shop around elsewhere...

Not much use to you obvs but Roys of Wroxham still do "standard" blades for £2.79 a pop, for any size from 13" up to 24".  So they do still exist.

5 hours ago, jakebullet said:

Day 3 of cunts next door burning shit. How many days do we think before I can stick a report in to the council that fuckwit is burning trade waste?

Council won’t want to know, claiming cuts mean they have no one to see to it. You need the environmental agency, in Scotland it’s SEPA ,not sure who it is in the rest of the U.K.

A local joiner used to burn a few bits of waste wood on a Friday evening in a field behind my house. No problem, they usually only did it if the wind was blowing away from the houses. Then they stated bringing in lorry loads of rubbish , a lot of it plastic. Lots of fumes, sometimes smouldering over the whole weekend. Difficult to get any action as there was limited evidence left by the time anyone came out, but they started getting greedy and burning during the week. Got caught in the act, and it stopped for good.

21 minutes ago, Lacquer Peel said:

TMS sell NAPA branded wiper blades that are very cheap and alright. Bosch wiper blades are crap these days. 

Wasn't a fan of the Bosch ones I had on the car, didn't last long.

I've got Tri-Co ones now, bought from my old work with the staff discount, so was about £11 for the pair.

For years my standard breakfast cereal has been supermarket-brand Frostiealikes.  Not Frosties themselves, as they are Kelloggs and cost three times what the own-brand stuff does.  Except... for weeks now we've been unable to get any.  I'll be looking around town later in case I can find any.  MrsR has just returned from our nearby Aldi without, so I can rule out that one.   Barrow has two Aldis, and one (further from home, natch) seemed to have them longer than the other, but not any more.  Asda hasn't had them for some time now.  Tesco, nope.  Morrisons, I got the last two boxes a month ago.  Last week I went on to Asda's own honey-nut, which aren't as nice but they'll do.  My concern is, are we being nanny-stated out of cheap Frosties?  Or is it just a production/distribution issue?  It's a shame, I really like the Aldi flakes.

1 hour ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Wasn't a fan of the Bosch ones I had on the car, didn't last long.

I've got Tri-Co ones now, bought from my old work with the staff discount, so was about £11 for the pair.

Bosch quality has certainly taken a dive over the last 10 years or so. Used to be my no 1 choice for power tools and kitchen appliances but the recent ones haven’t lasted at all well. Wipers were nothing to write home about either. I like the Michelin ones best.

Can this wind and rain bugger off now please?  I would really like for us to be able to get the roofing work finished now.  

Firstly because the longer the scaffolding is here the more it will cost us as it's on rent, but moreso because I'm absolutely sick of hearing the loose edge of the felt above the conservatory flapping in the bloody wind.

Everything left to be done now involves mortar though, so it needs to be dry for more than 30 seconds before we can get it done.

Sometimes i just have to ask myself. 

Why the fuck do i bother. 

Borrowed the works van the other day. Upon driving it i figured id address the few issues it has. 

Tonight i took the van to the workshop. 

wired the headunit properly , fitted the gear stick bush rebuild and swapped out the indicator stalk.  3 nice and simple jobs. 

Now id noted the igniton barrel had been a bit sticky.  Obviously tonights antics required the ignition on and off alot. Button every thing up and make sure all is well. Fire up van. Shut van off.  Pull key out. 

Put key in to drive out the workshop and the fucking steering locks stuck on. 

Could take the allegro home but that would require the van to be out the way. And guess what?

Yep of course its locked at full lock. 

20221108_230845.thumb.jpg.6037176e2ec083c0ba8e8732e5c1bb52.jpg

Fucking

Fuck.

19 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Can this wind and rain bugger off now please?  I would really like for us to be able to get the roofing work finished now.  

Firstly because the longer the scaffolding is here the more it will cost us as it's on rent, but moreso because I'm absolutely sick of hearing the loose edge of the felt above the conservatory flapping in the bloody wind.

Everything left to be done now involves mortar though, so it needs to be dry for more than 30 seconds before we can get it done.

You're not wrong.  I was in my garden office yesterday with the dog and out of absolutely nowhere we had this enormous cloudburst.  It was like somebody had turned a waterfall on over our heads for five minutes, beating on the roof.  Of course, the dog then jumped three feet in the air out of surprise and spent the rest of the afternoon conveniently* sleeping under my desk.  Where my feet should have been...

Bloody ebay sellers. Ordered a new bottom arm last week for my car's MoT next week. Noted the expected delivery date and the fact that it was marked for dispatch for November 3rd. Had a lot on so only just noticed that the thing hasn't arrived. Used the ebay 'where the fuck is my item request' and got a reply that it is delayed until next Tuesday (the day before my MoT). So presumably the seller hasn't got it in hand, can't get one until later this week, but has still marked it as dispatched to prevent ebay penalising them. 

It is all about honesty really, I don't mind if its a genuine mistake or if there are extenuating circumstances but it's all the bullshit people seem perfectly comfortable with that I find so aggravating. If they had just come clean I could have gone elsewhere and ordered one in plenty of time.   

36 minutes ago, warch said:

Bloody ebay sellers. Ordered a new bottom arm last week for my car's MoT next week. Noted the expected delivery date and the fact that it was marked for dispatch for November 3rd. Had a lot on so only just noticed that the thing hasn't arrived. Used the ebay 'where the fuck is my item request' and got a reply that it is delayed until next Tuesday (the day before my MoT). So presumably the seller hasn't got it in hand, can't get one until later this week, but has still marked it as dispatched to prevent ebay penalising them. 

It is all about honesty really, I don't mind if its a genuine mistake or if there are extenuating circumstances but it's all the bullshit people seem perfectly comfortable with that I find so aggravating. If they had just come clean I could have gone elsewhere and ordered one in plenty of time.   

Do you not have a local motor factors? They are usually no more expensive than ebay sellers for decent stuff, it makes no sense ordering something online when you actually need it for a specific date when you can probably pick one up locally same day.

1 hour ago, Jazoli said:

Do you not have a local motor factors? They are usually no more expensive than ebay sellers for decent stuff, it makes no sense ordering something online when you actually need it for a specific date when you can probably pick one up locally same day.

I do, but my preferred factor is a 22 mile round trip from chez warch so I decided to be lazy and get it delivered (or in this case not delivered) to my door. That'll learn me. 

Why is everything I try and buy at least a 2 hour drive away?  Four hours for the round trip.  I wouldn't mind except for the fact I struggle to find three consecutive hours available, and that usually at this end of the day which is about as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike.  Thankfully when I really come unstuck there's usually someone out there in the void willing and able to help out, I just wish I didn't have to ask.  This country is so tiny, how does it take so long to get anywhere?