The grumpy thread

outlaw118

54 minutes ago, iainrcz said:

It happened literally minutes in to our shift. I'd restarted it to pull material and then gone outside to do a job, a few minutes later thick smoke was floating around the outside of the building. I went in and it was billowing out of the enclosure.

I've no idea what caused it, but it escalated rather quickly.

At a guess, material over time finding its way into the belt side, then either the pump jammed up or the belt let go in a way that generated a lot of heat...material then caught - whoosh.  Hard to say for certain without actually examining it closely though.

6 minutes ago, Bren said:

Changed the oil on the BMW but ran out of time to put the two undertrays on. They are the definition of overkill.

And now we have torrential rain. The car can stay where it is - my days of getting piss wet through working on cars are long gone.

Pela type pump makes this job infinitely easier I find. Don't know which BMW you've got, but my oil filter is top access cartridge job so the whole job can be done in an upright position!

20 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Pela type pump makes this job infinitely easier I find. Don't know which BMW you've got, but my oil filter is top access cartridge job so the whole job can be done in an upright position!

Oil filter is underneath. Car takes 8L of oil - too much for my pela. The undertray has a hatch but I prefer to take it off to see if anything is leaking.

I’m glad moderns have automatic braking otherwise that twat in the Qashqai at the roundabout next to Greenhithe station would have gone right into my off side rear quarter.  No Mr. Thundercunt, l wasn’t going left.  I was going straight on.  That’s why I wasn’t indicating to go left but was in the left-hand lane.

Absolutely astonishing.

Activists seek to block Christmas displays of alcohol in the supermarket .

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.telegraph.co.uk%2Fbusiness%2F2022%2F10%2F23%2Factivists-seek-block-christmas-displays-alcohol-supermarket%2F

New rules aimed at reducing sales of chocolate are expected to result in supermarkets filling displays at the front of the stores with beer, wine and champagne this Christmas.

8 hours ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

I’m glad moderns have automatic braking otherwise that twat in the Qashqai at the roundabout next to Greenhithe station would have gone right into my off side rear quarter.  No Mr. Thundercunt, l wasn’t going left.  I was going straight on.  That’s why I wasn’t indicating to go left but was in the left-hand lane.

Absolutely astonishing.

having just been down to the Licky hills area I came across 2 little old darlings ,with in a few minutes ..

the first had not a clue what she was doing at a roundbout so we all stopped  ,whilst she went on her merry way , with a BMW stuck behind her !

the 2nd joining the M5 from the A38 , the little old dear to my left was confused , so when the lights changed I held back , and she went right across the M5 exit ,

and some people gave me a bad look !! , what was I supposed to do,  T bone her car!

8 hours ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

Absolutely astonishing.

"would have gone right into my off side rear quarter"?

Sounds as though the "twat" was on the roundabout and you pulled out in front of them?

2 minutes ago, GeorgeB said:

Sounds as though the "twat" was on the roundabout and you pulled out in front of them?

Or trying to turn left from the right hand lane.  But neither of us were there...

27 minutes ago, GeorgeB said:

Nope.  They entered the roundabout slightly after I did, in the right-hand lane and tried to turn trun left -  straight into the rear quarter of me making the assumption that I was turning left, so what @chaseracersaid.

On 16/10/2022 at 12:17, Zelandeth said:

Been back in Milton Keynes for about two hours now after a holiday in the US for two weeks.

I am already losing the will to live again and feel like I never left.  Few things highlight how unpleasant a place is than not being there for a while.  Why people just seem to go so far out their way to be assholes here I just don't understand.

Funnily enough I had the same feeling when I came home after my two weeks away in WI.

I picked up a mong on the ringroad this morning. There I was pottering along at the 40 limit, car hame hurtling down behind me & attached itself to my bumper. I dawdled around the next roundabout & exited it doing about 25. I continued at this speed for a surprisingly long time, some two or three hundred yards with speedy still stuck to my bumper. He finally roared past me in an original shape Ford Ka. The fucker must have been about 12.

I used to get that on the a404 when I used to commute. Was 2 miles before coming off and always busy so I just kept left and chilled at 40 for a while. 

Could always tell the people trying to get ahead in l2, inevitably they'd never leave your sight and be trying to get in right on the hatchings for the off ramp to the m40 North. Oodles of fun being a cunt and blocking them so they have to waste a good 20 minutes at handy cross to get onto the motorway. Usually see them hammer past in l3 10 miles up the road 

If they'd just chilled out and waited they'd be in 5th at tickover happily moving along. L2 is stop/start as its London bound

Bloody used car prices for early Jeep Cherokees.  I really thought the current fuel pricing uncertainty would have hurt their values a bit... really doesn't look like it based on the prices they're still going for it seems.  Whole market is nuts at the moment, but I really thought thirsty motors like that might have dropped a bit.

Oh well...I can keep periodically window shopping I guess.

12 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Bloody used car prices for early Jeep Cherokees.  I really thought the current fuel pricing uncertainty would have hurt their values a bit... really doesn't look like it based on the prices they're still going for it seems.  Whole market is nuts at the moment, but I really thought thirsty motors like that might have dropped a bit.

Oh well...I can keep periodically window shopping I guess.

Banger racers are paying good money, so the cheaper ones disappear fast