The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Alternator failed on the way home from work. I hoped the battery would get me home but unfortunately not. AA man lent me a battery to get me home and now mine is charging downstairs

Luckily I'm not working tomorrow (very rare to be off in the week so it's good fortune) 

The only alternator I could get for tomorrow was Lucas-branded from Eurocarparts for £267. Wish me luck. Or share any bright ideas you may have! 

Still, I ummed and ahhed about renewing that membership and now I'm glad I did 

3 minutes ago, horriblemercedes said:

Alternator failed on the way home from work. I hoped the battery would get me home but unfortunately not. AA man lent me a battery to get me home and now mine is charging downstairs

Luckily I'm not working tomorrow (very rare to be off in the week so it's good fortune) 

The only alternator I could get for tomorrow was Lucas-branded from Eurocarparts for £267. Wish me luck. Or share any bright ideas you may have! 

Still, I ummed and ahhed about renewing that membership and now I'm glad I did 

Can't get you running tomorrow but I can firmly recommend www.jasm.co.uk to refurb your old one? Turnaround is approx 2 days, though it'd need to be off the car and sent to them

The utter madness of my parent's house as a kid was that despite living in the middle of a large town, there was no mains gas connected as at some point the pipe had actually been removed from the gas main that was in the main road about 20 feet in front of the house.  So when we first moved in there in 1993 and until 1998, all of the hot water and heat came from a coal-fired Aga.  It was a Victorian house with a coal cellar so we'd get the twice-yearly coal delivery into the coal chute at the side of the house and twice a day my Dad would get the coal scuttle, remove the ash, dump it in a metal bin outside the back door and then re-stock the coal, covering everything in a thin film of ash.

They got mains gas connected and a conventional system put in but those five years were definitely a bit of a throwback especially considering where we lived.  The Aga system would have been a marvel in 1898 when the house was built (I'd imagine the Aga was put in in the 60s) but 100 years later it was a bit of an anachronism...

15 hours ago, Datsuncog said:

The most annoying bit isn't just that we've been quite friz for several nights, but that these items don't seem to come with warranties anymore - so despite being new, the manufacturer won't stand over it.

That is not correct. There are laws to give you two years warranty.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/business/dealing-with-customers/consumer-contracts-guarantees/consumer-guarantees/index_en.htm

10 hours ago, Stanky said:

Can't get you running tomorrow but I can firmly recommend www.jasm.co.uk to refurb your old one? Turnaround is approx 2 days, though it'd need to be off the car and sent to them

Thanks! Although I'd prefer to use a service like that, getting it sorted today is priority. Partly because I need the car tomorrow and partly I don't know when my next day I would be able to fix it would be 

I took the dead alternator off this morning as soon as it was light in 15 minutes, so it's an easy job. As long as the replacement one lasts, I'll be happy enough 

15 hours ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

This seems like an unnecessarily complicated way of heating the house, gas and oil, and expensive when things break. Here, electric heaters and wood burning are the most common.

The price of legally felled wood here has tripled in the last 12 months,to the point where electrical heating is being suggested as being the "cheapest" option this winter.

Most of Bulgarias wood is getting shipped and sold over the border in Turkey for even more profit...

39 minutes ago, andy18s said:

The price of legally felled wood here has tripled in the last 12 months,to the point where electrical heating is being suggested as being the "cheapest" option this winter.

Most of Bulgarias wood is getting shipped and sold over the border in Turkey for even more profit...

The timber price has gone up here too. My dad produces and sells firewood and the firewood prices for next year look like they will have to double with where the timber prices are now. We are a bit lucky as we take all the bad firewood that is difficult to sell ourselves and we have some forest so we have almost free firewood.

The price here has gone up- processed wood about 10x what it was 5 years ago (plywood, chipboard etc) and the building timber (2×4's etc) is about 4x what it was back then too.

That's one of the reasons I've not even looked at putting my garage back up yet.

That and the wood they're selling us for building is little better than firewood. Some of the old seasoned beams I took out clang like a bell when they're dropped, the new stuff clatters like a deck chair when thrown down.

As a consumer there seems to be no recourse, and the ever climbing cost appears to be being egged on by the government. The price of everything is well out accelerating what my money's worth.

19 hours ago, Datsuncog said:

So, after spending four nights trying to shock an airlock out of the system and emptying basin after basin of water out of the radiators, followed by much clambering around the attic to determine which pipes were getting hot and when, it turns out that the culprit was... the circulating pump.

Despite being a mere three months old, with maybe ten hours of use on it, it seems that it's failed somehow.

It took the plumber a while to diagnose the fault, as power's getting to it and it seemed to be turning okay - yet the water just isn't being moved around the system, so plainly something's awry.

The most annoying bit isn't just that we've been quite friz for several nights, but that these items don't seem to come with warranties anymore - so despite being new, the manufacturer won't stand over it.

Also that the reason we spent £2,600 on a new system in June was to make sure we wouldn't end up with a freezing house for a week because of a mechanical failure.

I guess it's better happening now that January, but still - grump.

Surely everything is subject to a warranty.

Can you claim on your house insurance?

17 hours ago, artdjones said:

I hope I have better fortune. I have to order a new boiler this week. My wife noticed a leak on the path outside the boiler housing, so I took the side off, and found it pretty damp inside, including the lagging. I thought I'd check the pump unions, as that area was wettest. First one, perfectly tight, the second one,as soon as pressure was put on the nut the stub on the boiler ripped out, as it was totally corroded through. Also, the kettle failed 20 minutes later.😔

Crikey, seems like no-one's having much luck with their heating at the minute!

The old boiler that was semi-installed when we moved in was looking pretty corroded around the stubs too, which is why we bit the bullet and got a new system. 

399252489_IMG_20220608_1119582.thumb.jpg.fdc00d270f6b3ed53b05e3ef11889233.jpg

1433509095_IMG_20220608_1120082.thumb.jpg.52c762beadd6cd4b867b4dc02e0d8db0.jpg

The extent of it was only visible once we had it pulled out. It was an indoor boiler, but installed outside, so it's probably not surprising...

Hope you get sorted - it's an absolute pain, but as with us, I'd sooner it failed now than when there's six inches of snow on the ground.

3 hours ago, Remspoor said:

Yes, and that's a rather lively ongoing conversation I'm having with the supplier.

I found the packaging, which claims a 3-yr guarantee.

Picture 4 of 4

We're not in the EU anymore, so their Europe-wide consumer contract guarantees now aren't enforceable... but the Consumer Rights Act 2015 should still hold true here.

18 minutes ago, myglaren said:

Can you claim on your house insurance?

I don't think so, no. I had a look at my policy documents and while they'll cover an 'emergency plumber call out', I'd have to pay for any parts needed.

Both of us are kinda used to being cold, so while it isn't really ideal, we'll probably not die just yet.

The electricians are back today to finish off the kitchen wiring, so with the front door and the attic hatch wide open, the place would be freezing anyway...

2 hours ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

The timber price has gone up here too. My dad produces and sells firewood and the firewood prices for next year look like they will have to double with where the timber prices are now. We are a bit lucky as we take all the bad firewood that is difficult to sell ourselves and we have some forest so we have almost free firewood.

We bought 15 cubic metres of un-chopped wood  18months ago at 80 lev per cube,paid for when ordered in April.

Once we actually got it delivered (late) 5 months later ,the price had gone upto 120 per cube.

This year it's over 200 per cube and will be damp,poor quality stuff as the best has been shipped out

1 hour ago, Datsuncog said:

Crikey, seems like no-one's having much luck with their heating at the minute!

The old boiler that was semi-installed when we moved in was looking pretty corroded around the stubs too, which is why we bit the bullet and got a new system. 

399252489_IMG_20220608_1119582.thumb.jpg.fdc00d270f6b3ed53b05e3ef11889233.jpg

1433509095_IMG_20220608_1120082.thumb.jpg.52c762beadd6cd4b867b4dc02e0d8db0.jpg

The extent of it was only visible once we had it pulled out. It was an indoor boiler, but installed outside, so it's probably not surprising...

Hope you get sorted - it's an absolute pain, but as with us, I'd sooner it failed now than when there's six inches of snow on the ground.

Yes, and that's a rather lively ongoing conversation I'm having with the supplier.

I found the packaging, which claims a 3-yr guarantee.

Picture 4 of 4

We're not in the EU anymore, so their Europe-wide consumer contract guarantees now aren't enforceable... but the Consumer Rights Act 2015 should still hold true here.

I don't think so, no. I had a look at my policy documents and while they'll cover an 'emergency plumber call out', I'd have to pay for any parts needed.

Both of us are kinda used to being cold, so while it isn't really ideal, we'll probably not die just yet.

The electricians are back today to finish off the kitchen wiring, so with the front door and the attic hatch wide open, the place would be freezing anyway...

EU regulations have not been removed form the UK. Boris Truss has more on their him/she plate than repeal 1000s of statutory laws. I would perhaps seek some help from a consumers organisation.

4 hours ago, Datsuncog said:

Thanks, luckily when we built the house the heating was run by a wood/coal stove. Ten years later we got lazy and got a plumber friend to splice in a second hand oil boiler as well, the now expired one. But the stove is still there, so I capped the oil boiler off, refilled the system and we are warm for the moment.

Had to drag my Jeep out the way so I could get to my trailer as the immobiliser has finally failed completely, it’s raining im soaking wet and I’m pissed off. Thinking about what to do with it but it’s probably going to involve “spares or repair” 

On 10/18/2022 at 4:01 PM, Datsuncog said:

So, after spending four nights trying to shock an airlock out of the system and emptying basin after basin of water out of the radiators, followed by much clambering around the attic to determine which pipes were getting hot and when, it turns out that the culprit was... the circulating pump.

Despite being a mere three months old, with maybe ten hours of use on it, it seems that it's failed somehow.

It took the plumber a while to diagnose the fault, as power's getting to it and it seemed to be turning okay - yet the water just isn't being moved around the system, so plainly something's awry.

A couple of thoughts:

The impeller has possibly come off the driveshaft.  Not uncommon as they are only a press-fit.  The motor is probably running but the impeller isn't.  If there isn't an audible churn of water when the motor starts, the impeller likely isn't turning.

The valves either side of a Domestic circulator are designed to allow it to be changed reasonably easily.  Undo the two large nuts and they slip back out of the way, and the pump can slide out from between two flat-face flanges.  A new one was about £60, so it might not be worth the argument with any company over it.. you'll waste 10hrs and maybe get a £60 pump out of it.  Just not worth the argument.  It shouldn't be true, but reality gets in the way.

8 minutes ago, Talbot said:

...it might not be worth the argument with any company over it.. you'll waste 10hrs and maybe get a £60 pump out of it.  Just not worth the argument.  It shouldn't be true, but reality gets in the way.

But deffo sign them up with the Grundfos marketing department...

On 20/10/2022 at 21:12, richardmorris said:

Not grumpy really, but the rob burrow prog, living with mnd has me in tears.

C47A2B1F-FE2C-441A-9AFF-70330F324281.png

that would be hard to watch at the mo as one of the family has just succumbed to that!

#stilldoingitforwayne

https://www.facebook.com/mndhousefoundation/

7 hours ago, Talbot said:

A couple of thoughts:

The impeller has possibly come off the driveshaft.  Not uncommon as they are only a press-fit.  The motor is probably running but the impeller isn't.  If there isn't an audible churn of water when the motor starts, the impeller likely isn't turning.

The valves either side of a Domestic circulator are designed to allow it to be changed reasonably easily.  Undo the two large nuts and they slip back out of the way, and the pump can slide out from between two flat-face flanges.  A new one was about £60, so it might not be worth the argument with any company over it.. you'll waste 10hrs and maybe get a £60 pump out of it.  Just not worth the argument.  It shouldn't be true, but reality gets in the way.

Yeah, I bought a new pump yesterday and the plumber fitted it - same as the one I got at the previous house, which gave us no bother.

After a week of no heat (and pretty bad weather), getting something functioning was more of a priority than anything else. With all the loft insulation peeled back and holes drilled in the ceilings to fit lights and radiator piping (holes in the wall as well), it's been bitterly, finger-numbingly cold.

The old (new) pump is in the garage, but haven't had a chance to look at it yet - because the pump was right up against the burner inside the housing, and they both come on at the same time, there was no way to hear whether the water was churning over the roar of the rest of the unit.

But I'll have a look and see if I can see anything awry - the plumber reckoned it was an electronic fault, but we'll see.

I'm not expecting a refund from Peerless, but a new component breaking after less than 10 hours service is a bit shit. At best, they might send me a replacement which I can keep on a shelf for years and years...

7 hours ago, Datsuncog said:

there was no way to hear whether the water was churning over the roar of the rest of the unit.

Glad to read the news in the rest of the post. 

Advise for next time or others with pump issues. Undo the top cap of the pump. A quarter of a turn maybe half a turn and you will see if the pump is running or not by the water flow coming out of the cap.

Now a statement of the obvious, the water coming out of the bleed cap may be hot!

I'm normally quite patient but the Cavalier is doing my fucking nut in. I cannot seem to get the exhaust into any sort of position were it will not rattle against at least one section of the floor, tank or shielding. I managed to strip one of the threads on the downpipe. Then I punched myself right on the nose causing it to bleed as my spanner slipped.

Icing on the cake is a drip of coolant at the front of the engine which very much appears to be from the waterpump I just installed.

Fucked off big style.

Away to watch the circus this afternoon.. maybe watching some other clowns might cheer me up....

10 minutes ago, iainrcz said:

Yes. I have an inkling more so than management think.

It is, or was, a pump to convey material.

Until it turned in to a top fuel dragster.

I'd love to see the near-miss report. Looks like something bad could have happened, but luckily didn't. 

1 minute ago, New POD said:

I'd love to see the near-miss report. Looks like something bad could have happened, but luckily didn't. 

It happened literally minutes in to our shift. I'd restarted it to pull material and then gone outside to do a job, a few minutes later thick smoke was floating around the outside of the building. I went in and it was billowing out of the enclosure.

I've no idea what caused it, but it escalated rather quickly.