The grumpy thread

outlaw118

4 hours ago, MikeR said:

They do get a bit stuck , normally a good kicking gets them off , as u say , clean and grease up the hub spigot .

How did it handle with a flat on the back ?

Just wondering in case mine has a rear tyre go ..as I am may have to trash a tyre to get to a safe place .

I didn't hear anything as I had music blasting. I first thought I felt something about four miles previous going around a roundabout. I then got to the fish quay went round a corner and felt something again. I pulled over aboht half a mile later to check just in case. In a straight line I couldn't tell.

11 hours ago, paulplom said:

Puncture in the pug yesterday morning down the fish quay. Jacked it up but the fucker was welded to the drum. I did loosen the wheel nuts and bounced it up a couple of kerbs but it still wouldn't loosen. I had to drive a mile home to get a mash hammer to it. It's fucked the tyre though. The date of the spare is 2011 which is also the age of the car. It didn't look like it's been used though.

Two new ones are cheap enough though. I'll clean and copper grease the hubs when I take the wheels to get the tyres swapped.

20221016_075148.jpg

20221016_075556.jpg

20221016_081053.jpg

Screenshot_20221016_093627.jpg

We have those on the Tranny van. Bit bigger obv.

Been good so far.

medical can fuck right off

looks like ive been blowtorched (midnight run)

while i can move my arm with the dressing on it i cant lift in case it come off

at least its not as sore

this shit shoulda happened at the time not weeks after - they told me its normal

wtf

edit: frustration annoyance emotion

fuck it all

On 16/10/2022 at 15:24, iainrcz said:

Windows updated itself and broke my surround sound. Cunt.

Last time it did that it took 3 pissing days to get it working again.

Just a case of firing up device manager and removing whatever generic rubbish windows update has installed and reinstalling the one that works surely? 

Then untick install optional updates 👍

16 hours ago, Nyphur said:

Must be being cheerful that keeps you going!

I do generally try to stay positive - but everyone needs to vent frustration somewhere - and I kinda thought that was why this thread existed.

C'mon, being in a house which is having the whole roof rebuilt while horribly jetlagged is enough to make anyone grumpy, even before stepping outside!

... Paying for said roofing work isn't exactly fun either.

1 hour ago, beko1987 said:

Just a case of firing up device manager and removing whatever generic rubbish windows update has installed and reinstalling the one that works surely? 

Then untick install optional updates 👍

It's working again.

It's an old 5.1 Sony theatre kit connected via spdif. Took ages to find a driver that would make it work properly.

31 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

I do generally try to stay positive - but everyone needs to vent frustration somewhere - and I kinda thought that was why this thread existed.

C'mon, being in a house which is having the whole roof rebuilt while horribly jetlagged is enough to make anyone grumpy, even before stepping outside!

... Paying for said roofing work isn't exactly fun either.

Go park the camper at the FoD and have a quiet lay down? 

24 minutes ago, iainrcz said:

It's working again.

It's an old 5.1 Sony theatre kit connected via spdif. Took ages to find a driver that would make it work properly.

Save it somewhere safe! Trying to track down old drivers is a pain! Make 3 copies of it, happy to chuck a copy in my drivers folder for you 

On 10/13/2022 at 2:00 PM, Datsuncog said:

Bollocks - the new oil boiler fitted back in June now isn't doing much to heat the house.

Working fine until this morning - but now it switches on, runs for two or three minutes, and then flicks itself off again. Then comes back on after ten minutes, and repeats.

Pump seems to be working okay, the outlet pipe gets up to temperature quickly, but the radiators are only mildly tepid at best. Everything looks alright inside the unit casing. Plenty of kero in the tank (and yes I did check again) and a new filter fitted along with everything else. I'm concerned there's a blockage within the house somewhere restricting flow; it's all rubbishy 10mm pipe going through an ancient manifold system.

SOS has been sent to the plumber who fitted it, but it could be a night for huddling under blankets...

On 10/13/2022 at 8:25 PM, Datsuncog said:

Pump was brand new three months ago, as is the entire boiler and burner.

608232188_IMG_20220608_1117022.thumb.jpg.731a697a632894d5bc108d82a0ec8fd1.jpg

Seems to be pumping fine.

Nope, no TRVs fitted at all - and everything was working fine on Tuesday evening, nice and toasty.

We noticed it seemed a bit chilly when we came home late-ish last night, but it was quite cold out and since we were going to bed shortly, it seemed a bit pointless to boost the heating.

Only when it seemed very cold when I got up this morning did I realise the radiators were only mildly tepid, not actually hot.

Having looked over everything it seems that an airlock's the most likely culprit - I'm currently going through a rigmarole of turning the burner and pump on and off every ten seconds to try to shock the air out of the system, on the plumber's advice via text, and there's been a few almighty gurgles so far, though it still cuts out after three or four minutes.

Fun night ahead, I think - cheers for the suggestions, though!

So, after spending four nights trying to shock an airlock out of the system and emptying basin after basin of water out of the radiators, followed by much clambering around the attic to determine which pipes were getting hot and when, it turns out that the culprit was... the circulating pump.

Despite being a mere three months old, with maybe ten hours of use on it, it seems that it's failed somehow.

It took the plumber a while to diagnose the fault, as power's getting to it and it seemed to be turning okay - yet the water just isn't being moved around the system, so plainly something's awry.

The most annoying bit isn't just that we've been quite friz for several nights, but that these items don't seem to come with warranties anymore - so despite being new, the manufacturer won't stand over it.

Also that the reason we spent £2,600 on a new system in June was to make sure we wouldn't end up with a freezing house for a week because of a mechanical failure.

I guess it's better happening now that January, but still - grump.

27 minutes ago, Datsuncog said:

It took the plumber a while to diagnose the fault, as power's getting to it and it seemed to be turning okay - yet the water just isn't being moved around the system, so plainly something's awry.

Is the pump wired correctly and rotating in the correct direction?

Did the fitter remove all the transit bungs/not left on inside the pump?

33 minutes ago, Datsuncog said:

So, after spending four nights trying to shock an airlock out of the system and emptying basin after basin of water out of the radiators, followed by much clambering around the attic to determine which pipes were getting hot and when, it turns out that the culprit was... the circulating pump.

Despite being a mere three months old, with maybe ten hours of use on it, it seems that it's failed somehow.

The most annoying bit isn't just that we've been quite friz for several nights, but that these items don't seem to come with warranties anymore - so despite being new, the manufacturer won't stand over it.

Also that the reason we spent £2,600 on a new system in June was to make sure we wouldn't end up with a freezing house for a week because of a mechanical failure.

I guess it's better happening now that January, but still - grump.

I hate to say I told you so. But it did sound just like it. 

Who cares whether the manufacturer will stand over it? Your relationship as a consumer is with whoever supplied it to you, and they have to put the situation right without charge to you, at least they do 4 months after the installation. 

Yes, it was fitted correctly and was working fine - but has now failed electronically.

The pump unit has a flow sensor, which is now throwing up an error code. He attempted to rewire and reset it to no avail - and as well as no warranty, service parts aren't supplied by the manufacturer these days. So the cure is a new pump.

The one that's failed was an Embrass Peerless, supplied as part of the Firebird boiler pack. I'll be buying a Grundfoss one to replace it; previously these have seemed decent enough for me.

1 minute ago, artdjones said:

I hate to say I told you so. But it did sound just like it. 

It was the first thing I'd thought of too, as the same thing happened in the old house last year - and so I went out and jammed my head into the boiler box, to make sure that there was power getting to the pump and it was vibrating. I could also feel vibrations going up the hot water pipe into the house. Plus, y'know, it was new.

I'd had the water shut off a few days earlier to plumb in a new sink, so it didn't seem unlikely that air had got into the system.

Today was the first day the plumber could come and look at it.

I don't think there was very much more I could do, and I wasn't going to start pulling it apart.

On 13/10/2022 at 21:25, Datsuncog said:

Brand new three months ago, as is the entire boiler and burner.

608232188_IMG_20220608_1117022.thumb.jpg.731a697a632894d5bc108d82a0ec8fd1.jpg

Seems to be pumping fine.

Nope, no TRVs fitted at all - and everything was working fine on Tuesday evening, nice and toasty.

We noticed it seemed a bit chilly when we came home late-ish last night, but it was quite cold out and since we were going to bed shortly, it seemed a bit pointless to boost the heating.

Only when it seemed very cold when I got up this morning did I realise the radiators were only mildly tepid, not actually hot.

Having looked over everything it seems that an airlock's the most likely culprit - I'm currently going through a rigmarole of turning the burner and pump on and off every ten seconds to try to shock the air out of the system, on the plumber's advice via text, and there's been a few almighty gurgles so far, though it still cuts out after three or four minutes.

Fun night ahead, I think - cheers for the suggestions, though!

Can I ask out of curiosity as we don't have such here. Is this for heating the house? Gas burning that heat water that in turn heats the house?

13 minutes ago, Datsuncog said:

It was the first thing I'd thought of too, as the same thing happened in the old house last year - and so I went out and jammed my head into the boiler box, to make sure that there was power getting to the pump and it was vibrating. I could also feel vibrations going up the hot water pipe into the house. Plus, y'know, it was new.

I'd had the water shut off a few days earlier to plumb in a new sink, so it didn't seem unlikely that air had got into the system.

Today was the first day the plumber could come and look at it.

I don't think there was very much more I could do, and I wasn't going to start pulling it apart.

I hope I have better fortune. I have to order a new boiler this week. My wife noticed a leak on the path outside the boiler housing, so I took the side off, and found it pretty damp inside, including the lagging. I thought I'd check the pump unions, as that area was wettest. First one, perfectly tight, the second one,as soon as pressure was put on the nut the stub on the boiler ripped out, as it was totally corroded through. Also, the kettle failed 20 minutes later.😔

1 hour ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

This seems like an unnecessarily complicated way of heating the house, and expensive when things break. Here, electric heaters and wood burning are the most common.

When wood is scarce and expensive, and the electricity supply cannot be depended upon, having your own source of mass fuel is prudent.

That's why these are common there

1 hour ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

This seems like an unnecessarily complicated way of heating the house, gas and oil, and expensive when things break. Here, electric heaters and wood burning are the most common.

We have a very similar setup here in rural West Wales - oil burner runs a wet central heating system.  Kind of the norm around here. Not ultra efficient but it is what it is.  Came with the house ten years ago. The house is ancient with solid stone walls and no realistic (economic) possibility of insulating them or the stone floors. Centrally heating it is £££££ - even back when it was 40p a litre.
The integrated oil/hot water system I have binned in favour of electric 'on demand' water heaters. We have a borehole water supply so low pressure = low flow but fairly hot at the tap.
Once we have finished the current tank of oil we're switching to all electric plus the 8kW log burner currently roasting my butt off - I guess that's going to be the way of things in the future. 

That and wear a jumper.