The grumpy thread

outlaw118

I saw something yesterday that lowered my opinion of my fellow species. I had the misfortune of riding a train from London out to the suburbs at 7:30PM. The train was busy, I was walking through the carriages to get a bit of space (my journey was short and even though I now walk with a stick, I can stand for a while) I spied an elderly couple (I reckon in their 80’s) standing at the doors clinging on to each other for support. All of the priority seats were full of people younger than me glued to their phones watching shite. I leaned over and asked the couple if they would like to sit down. They looked like drowning people who’d been offered a rubber ring. So I made a bit of a fuss and asked some people to relinquish their seats for this couple. The dirty looks I received from people were quite something to behold like I’d just asked them to give up their first born child or something.
The experience left me feeling sad and grumpy.  Back when I schlepped to London every day, (late 90’s to 2013) people on the train (and I) had the decency to give up seats if someone needed it, without being asked/shamed into it. 

30 minutes ago, CaptainBoom said:

I saw something yesterday that lowered my opinion of my fellow species. I had the misfortune of riding a train from London out to the suburbs at 7:30PM. The train was busy, I was walking through the carriages to get a bit of space (my journey was short and even though I now walk with a stick, I can stand for a while) I spied an elderly couple (I reckon in their 80’s) standing at the doors clinging on to each other for support. All of the priority seats were full of people younger than me glued to their phones watching shite. I leaned over and asked the couple if they would like to sit down. They looked like drowning people who’d been offered a rubber ring. So I made a bit of a fuss and asked some people to relinquish their seats for this couple. The dirty looks I received from people were quite something to behold like I’d just asked them to give up their first born child or something.
The experience left me feeling sad and grumpy.  Back when I schlepped to London every day, (late 90’s to 2013) people on the train (and I) had the decency to give up seats if someone needed it, without being asked/shamed into it. 

I blame the parents.

Mildly narked at the amount of useless and messy loose breadcrumb that makes up a bag of scampi these days.

1774768982_IMG_20221004_1937052.thumb.jpg.3a8fd75cc301c96b3adda4004b6dd4ed.jpg

There's 220g of product in the bag.

1591045568_IMG_20221004_1937212.thumb.jpg.8100d196de9f86aaf1620c579f025b84.jpg

But 20g of this is just loose crumb, so there's a mere 200g of yer actual scampi pieces in there.

1165139510_IMG_20221004_1938402.thumb.jpg.6e7b3010127418258ccbdda484b2cff5.jpg

Yes, I was indeed petty and small-minded enough to sweep it up and weigh it, to confirm that 9.09% of the package contents are unusable, equating to around 32p of purchase price.

I'm sure Young's definitely aren't maintaining a price point in the face of rampant inflation by taking a piece of scampi out of each bag and replacing it with a load of cheap crumbs, but I could certainly forgive a lesser and more suspicious man for believing this to be the case.

Fish fingers from here on in, I think.

1 hour ago, Datsuncog said:

Mildly narked at the amount of useless and messy loose breadcrumb that makes up a bag of scampi these days.

But 20g of this is just loose crumb, so there's a mere 200g of yer actual scampi pieces in there.

Yes, I was indeed petty and small-minded enough to sweep it up and weigh it, to confirm that 9.09% of the package contents are unusable, equating to around 32p of purchase price.

I'm sure Young's definitely aren't maintaining a price point in the face of rampant inflation by taking a piece of scampi out of each bag and replacing it with a load of cheap crumbs, but I could certainly forgive a lesser and more suspicious man for believing this to be the case.

Email and complain. You're likely to get a voucher so you can repeat the experiment - for free!

1 hour ago, chaseracer said:

Battered then, not breaded.  Sticks more effectively to the piscine digit... 😉

See, I prefer battered - but MrsDC leans towards breaded...

I'm currently preparing a PowerPoint presentation, with graphs, showing how much additional scampi we can expect to enjoy in an average year by switching to battered over breaded.

I'm sure she'll be thrilled and grateful when I crank up the projector later...

14 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

Email and complain. You're likely to get a voucher so you can repeat the experiment - for free!

I might actually do that - I took the pics last night principally so I could have a good old moan on here, but since they're on my phone I might drop them a line.

More data for my spreadsheet, anyway...

Not sure if this needs to go here, or in "Woke Bollocks"....

Applied for a job, local firm, 10/15 minute commute, £4k+ over current salary. Confident I could do the job with my eyes closed, and at least one hand behind my back.

Got this email:

Dear Robert,

Thank you for submitting your application for Working Area Supervisor.

We have now completed the sift of applications received. Unfortunately, on this occasion you have not been selected. As a progressive inclusive company we have decided to concentrate our efforts into creating a more diverse workforce.

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your interest in this role. Please do not let this result deter you from applying for future vacancies within our company.

Many thanks,

Recruitment Team

What does that even mean?

Am I being punished for not being gay, or "of colour" or disabled? FFS.

1 hour ago, outlaw118 said:

Applied for a job, local firm, 10/15 minute commute, £4k+ over current salary. Confident I could do the job with my eyes closed, and at least one hand behind my back.

Got this email:

It doesn't sound like you'd have been working beside people who are properly qualified, based on the company's selection criteria.

I know it’s the same old moan but honestly people on the road are fucking nuts. On a controlled 50mph section, car behind was fucking inches from me, then undertakes and cuts me up. Flashed them obviously as it’s a dick move, then bang in the middle of the road they slammed the anchors on causing rest of us to swerve. I must be like a broken record but really there must be a case for retaking your test every few years or making it much easier to take peoples licence off them. 

Treat myself to a new compass a few weeks ago.

Went camping the other night up on kinder scout, highest point in the peak district - a featureless barren plateau of heather and peat with massive holes in it, so you can't walk in a straight line. It goes on for miles and miles. 

Woke up in't morning and there was a lot of fog, so I couldn't get my bearings from the sun or owt like that. Had a bit of breakfast, dropped the tent, packed it all away and then got my compass out to navigate directly south across the heather.

90 minutes walking later, becoming a little worried (it only took me 45 minutes to get to where I was from the edge path) I emerged totally disoriented on what I eventually recognised as the North edge of the plateau.

Can anyone spot the problem here?

1222621792_2022-10-0519_34_15.thumb.jpg.4008450e7782404f4e0974b4b23d07d8.jpg

5 hours ago, Datsuncog said:

. Fire off an email  to that care@youngs address with  your photos and with a bit of luck you’ll get a refund,

24 minutes ago, cobblers said:

Went camping the other night up on kinder scout, highest point in the peak district - a featureless barren plateau of heather and peat with massive holes in it, so you can't walk in a straight line. It goes on for miles and miles. 

Woke up in't morning and there was a lot of fog, so I couldn't get my bearings from the sun or owt like that. Had a bit of breakfast, dropped the tent, packed it all away and then got my compass out to navigate directly south across the heather.

90 minutes walking later, becoming a little worried (it only took me 45 minutes to get to where I was from the edge path) I emerged totally disoriented on what I eventually recognised as the North edge of the plateau.

Bloody eck.

Which one is painted wrong?

I used to recommend View Ranger as a GPS App as a decent backup but that app is shite now and I don't know what's decent to replace it? 

15 minutes ago, Spurious said:

Bloody eck.

Which one is painted wrong?

I used to recommend View Ranger as a GPS App as a decent backup but that app is shite now and I don't know what's decent to replace it? 

Yup viewranger was good, then it became outdooractive which is total dogplops to say the least.

I just use OS maps app now, it's actually pretty good and not over-complicated, but for simple stuff I just have a compass to stop me going in circles, I try and avoid using my phone as much as I can when out and about.

The green compass is my old one which is the more accurate of the two..

12 hours ago, CaptainBoom said:

I blame deadenders  everyone thinks the show is an instructional guide to Life.

7 hours ago, outlaw118 said:

Got this email:

in a word YES

On 04/10/2022 at 23:47, EyesWeldedShut said:

====================================================================
Old twat from t'country reaches civilisation (well - Milton Keynes) rant/grump/observation
====================================================================

OK so here I am in Milton Keynes, 1960's roundabout city - pedestrians/cyclists split from cars/lorries by means of  thousands of roundabouts. I'm flying solo in t'missus's Bini which is no slouch but I cannot seem to get onto the poxy roundabouts as the traffic on the main drag coming across seems to be doing Mach 1 around the things.

This makes pulling out a. bad. idea.

Then I wonders/rages/rants - bloody DSC/stability/yaw control (choose your weapon). All these fuckin' huge SUV modern type cars (not many of those  down my way - roundabouts neither) are getting slung around the island at 40 mph + with no observable body roll - so:
the ABS is pulling the car back off the roll?
Are these cars able to corner like this because the  ECU/ABS is wasting pad material/fuel/the planet ?
No sign of under/over steer - same question?
Maybe they all crash when it rains?
Maybe it's just modern suspension and tyres?
Maybe they can all drive like Nikki Lauda?

Or am I just an old b'stard who should shut up and feck off back to The Boonies?

Wide low profile tyres, rock hard suspension, and anti-Roll bars.

My Astra GTC will grip the road in the dry like a go cart. (In the rain less so). 

15 hours ago, outlaw118 said:

Got this email:

No.

12 hours ago, cobblers said:

You can fix that with a strong magnet , quickly place a magnet end  of the same polarity by the needle and leave it overnight .,.   Recheck in the morning 

17 hours ago, outlaw118 said:

Got this email:

They're on really flaky actively illegal ground here. 

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/5c66abfd40f0b61a1e93a27a/Mr_M_Furlong_v_The_Chief_Constable_of_Cheshire_Police_2405577.18_judgment_and_reasons.pdf

Cheshire police lost an employment tribunal when they attempted to do the same thing, and I'm astonished that the company you've applied to would commit such a reasoning to paper.

Happy to offer any advice (not a lawyer, but anti-discrimination is my field).

5 minutes ago, mercedade said:

Cheshire police lost an employment tribunal when they attempted to do the same thing, and I'm astonished that the company you've applied to would commit such a reasoning to paper.

Yes, I can sort of understand them doing something like this to balance the numbers that they're pressured to balance, but to tell you that's why they've done it is a bit mad

22 minutes ago, cobblers said:

Yes, I can sort of understand them doing something like this to balance the numbers that they're pressured to balance, but to tell you that's why they've done it is a bit mad

This. If you don't want someone, it makes sense to lie and give them some kind of bullshit excuse. I don't get why you'd say something that's so blatantly illegal. I can only think that whoever wrote it thinks that it's fine

On 10/5/2022 at 8:46 AM, CaptainBoom said:

I remember getting on a bus in NW Bristol with mrs warch and a yoof got up and offered us his seat. We were in our mid-30s at the time.

On 05/10/2022 at 08:46, CaptainBoom said:

I think you’ve got the rose tinted specs on. I commuted into London for a few years in the 80s and no one ever gave up their seat on the train.

Nowadays, I sometimes think ,”should I give up my seat to that old man?”, then realise he’s probably younger than me!

18 hours ago, sierraman said:

I know it’s the same old moan but honestly people on the road are fucking nuts. On a controlled 50mph section, car behind was fucking inches from me, then undertakes and cuts me up. Flashed them obviously as it’s a dick move, then bang in the middle of the road they slammed the anchors on causing rest of us to swerve. I must be like a broken record but really there must be a case for retaking your test every few years or making it much easier to take peoples licence off them. 

The fact that you flashed them, was the (only) mistake you made.  It was clear that they were being a knob long befpre they undertook or cut you up. 

You (probably) could have avoided being cut up, because you probably knew they were undertaking, and probably could have backed off and given them room. 

The above is based on a year of comuting to Aston in Brum, South down the A38. Just let the docks get on with it. 

I usually find a way to breeze past them about 2 miles later without them even realising that they got in the wrong lane. 

That said, I've had people flash me for overtaking them, and yes, I've intentionally gone over the speed limit to do it safely, as they were a lot under the speed limit, and it's fucking irritating.  Why the fuck has it got anything to do with them. On one occasion, I watched the guy who had flashed me, drive into a cul de sac behind me, and turned around and knocked on his door, to ask him why he's flashed me. He looked proper scared, so I decided to leave it, with the words "I wondered if you'd spotted a fault with my car"