The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Just the bloody esso is open in Thame. 

Obviously I walked into town first, realised nothing was open so walked a mile to esso, deciding a walk would do me good rather than save 5 minutes and walk home to the car. 

Get there and their bloody cashing up. Still open, but can I wait 5 minutes... 

9 minutes later and with now a huge queue behind me I finally get served, 30g of gv yellow please... "only got gv original" 

Ffs fine thanks. Beep £20.45 😡 I paid with 2 £20s just to piss the guy off rather than blip my phone and stomped the walk home a sweaty horrible mess! 

39 minutes ago, Pieman said:

People who go on holiday abroad and spend the entire holiday posting photos on social media of everything they're doing.  I thought the point of a holiday was to try and preach to everyone else how privileged you are to be able to post about every happening on your week away in a damp caravan in skeggy... 

FTFY :(

13 hours ago, Pieman said:

I thought the point of a holiday was to fuck the rest of the world off for a week or two and relax and enjoy yourself?

Me and the wife are on our last day of a week in the Canaries, fuck all has gone on social media and we've barely spoken to anyone whilst here, I don't do holiday friends as you risk having Roger and Pauline from Wakefield stalking you for the entire time 😄

On 9/18/2022 at 10:34 PM, cobblers said:

TLDR: Queens dead, sorry if you're upset but objectively she did absolutely sod all to help or even interest 99% of the people in the country so people are all going to have different reactions to it than you have

Appreciate you have a chip on your shoulder about the royals chief but I think your figures are a bit out there, given that more than half of the planet tuned in to watch the funeral.

2 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Appreciate you have a chip on your shoulder about the royals chief but I think your figures are a bit out there, given that more than half of the planet tuned in to watch the funeral.

To be fair I am one of these "not a big fan of em but they pay for themselves with tourism" lot, and honestly it's not the royals themselves I have much of a problem with.

I'm just totally flabbergasted that in 2022, as a supposedly democratic, developed nation we reacted to the totally unsurprising death of a 96 year old woman that none of us had ever met in the way that we did. My issue is with the media (and to an extent the public) rather than with the royals themselves. They're just bags of blood and guts, the same as me or you and they deserve no more or less respect than any of us.

9 minutes ago, cobblers said:

I'm just totally flabbergasted that in 2022, as a supposedly democratic, developed nation we reacted to the totally unsurprising death of a 96 year old woman that none of us had ever met in the way that we did. My issue is with the media (and to an extent the public) rather than with the royals themselves. They're just bags of blood and guts, the same as me or you and they deserve no more or less respect than any of us.

It has been a tad over the top in my view as well.  The thought of queueing for 24 hours to spend a few seconds filing past a coffin is beyond me.  She obviously meant a lot to a large proportion of the population though, and if it makes them happy to show their respects in whatever way then who are we to argue.

As for the media, they are damned if they do and damned if they don't really.  If they'd reduced their coverage there would have been an outcry from the hardcore royalists, of which there are still a great many.

Had a car in this morning and the owner says there is a noise at the back and he has been told it's just the brake backing plate rubbing. Get the car on the ramp and the flexi hose is leaking on the side the noise is coming from. Jack the car up and sure enough there is a noise from the backing plate. Had a new set of pads fitted six weeks ago due to a similar noise so when they phoned to say the noise is back less than a week later that is what the garage told them. The garage had the car for two whole days just to fit some brake pads. It took me less than two minutes to find the old worn out brake pad wedged between the disc and backing plate that they hadn't noticed.

One of my regulars came in this afternoon and I told him. He is a workshop manager and said the problem is when you bollock staff they don't turn up for work the next day. Happened to him today, bollocked a member of staff on Saturday and he didn't turn up for work today.

3 hours ago, wuvvum said:

It has been a tad over the top in my view as well.  The thought of queueing for 24 hours to spend a few seconds filing past a coffin is beyond me.  She obviously meant a lot to a large proportion of the population though, and if it makes them happy to show their respects in whatever way then who are we to argue.

As for the media, they are damned if they do and damned if they don't really.  If they'd reduced their coverage there would have been an outcry from the hardcore royalists, of which there are still a great many.

250 000 people passed the coffin. That’s about 0.3% of the population.

4 hours ago, wuvvum said:

There is no way that statistic is accurate. Half the world was asleep at any one time (and not just those watching on telly) A chunk of the rest would have been at work/other monday obligations. It wasn't a holiday anywhere else.

Global viewing figures nearer 500 mil max imo

32 minutes ago, fairkens said:

There is no way that statistic is accurate. Half the world was asleep at any one time (and not just those watching on telly) A chunk of the rest would have been at work/other monday obligations. It wasn't a holiday anywhere else.

Global viewing figures nearer 500 mil max imo

Where are you getting the 500M figure from?  2.5 billion people apparently watched Diana's funeral live, and that was before live streaming on the internet was a thing.  Plus there are more people now than 25 years ago and the Queen was more significant than Diana.  The 4 billion estimate doesn't seem unrealistic to me.

'Apparently' being the operative word

Half of the world's population lives in Asia, China, India, Phillipines, Thailand etc. If any more than 10% of them tuned in for old Queenie's send off it would be astonishing. Why would they givvatug?

Not even half of Brits watched it and it was in our timezone and we had a day off for it

One for the More or Less boffins

50 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Where are you getting the 500M figure from?  2.5 billion people apparently watched Diana's funeral live, and that was before live streaming on the internet was a thing.  Plus there are more people now than 25 years ago and the Queen was more significant than Diana.  The 4 billion estimate doesn't seem unrealistic to me.

There were only 1.47b households with televisions back in 2010, probably significantly less whenever Diana died, I know there might be more than 1 person watching the telly but 2.5b seems like bollocks surely? 

https://www.statista.com/statistics/268695/number-of-tv-households-worldwide/#:~:text=Data on the global television,surpass 1.8 billion by 2026.

I've just googled this and it's what came up, I'm not standing by it if anyone has better info. 

How are those TV viewing figures arrived at?  Look up how they are calculated in UK and you will see it's essentially a tiny survey that's extrapolated to be applicable to the whole country.  So hardly rigorous.  Now think about how that data would be collected in Afghanistan or Zambia.

So any figures like this should be taken with an entire mine's worth of salt.

Also, for the people who believe 'royals bring in tourists', check out the most visited country in the world.  Turns out it's France, and we all know what happened to their royal family... 

3 hours ago, cort1977 said:

Also, for the people who believe 'royals bring in tourists', check out the most visited country in the world.  Turns out it's France, and we all know what happened to their royal family... 

Although the most visited tourist attraction in France is the (former) royal palace of Versailles, so it's still sort of true. 

2 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Although the most visited tourist attraction in France is the (former) royal palace of Versailles, so it's still sort of true. 

In the same way that art is more popular after the artist is dead, royal palaces are more popular after the royal family is dead?

50 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

I visited the royal palace of Versailles by accident. I was tying to get off the ring road & head south but there I was, in my camper amongst the bin lorries at dawn.

On 20/09/2022 at 13:06, mitsisigma01 said:

As much as it is good that they gave her a good send off but to change programming on obscure tv channels when all the big channels are covering it does seem a bit much .

Cheers Liz 🇬🇧😪span widget

It was great watching stuff like Yesterday and the like with no adverts.

2 hours ago, Timewaster said:

It was great watching stuff like Yesterday and the like with no adverts.

The blank 3 minutes instead of ads was much worse. Mind you given 50% of ads seem to be for funeral plans these days, it would have been a bit tasteless , although SunLife could have changed their ad to “ A magnificent funeral, but you won’t be so lucky having the state pay for yours…….”