The grumpy thread

outlaw118

My son has smart meters, inherited when he bought the house, never work.

Daughter was going to have them fitted.  Electric OK but they couldn't fit the gas one, had to move the meter then still couldn't fit it.

I have been with Scottish Power for decades and never had a single problem with them.  I began taking my own meter readings on the 1st of each month and submitting them, never a problem.  A couple of times a year they ask for a reading in the middle of the month, don't know why but it is a simple enough task, takes all of five minutes.

Reading my meters multiple times a day to see what the impact of solar panels has on the consumption, seems to be considerable.

Resisting having smart meters fitted until I can be sure they are beneficial for me rather than SP.

Meh, energy companies are all cunts, whether or not you have smart meters.

I'm with Octopus and have smart meters. They know exactly how much I'm using, yet keep 'automatically updating' my direct debit to be twice as much. Every few months I have go in and manually reduce it. I've currently got it set somewhere below my actual usage to burn off some of the balance it's built up! Bastards.

1 hour ago, myglaren said:

I began taking my own meter readings on the 1st of each month and submitting them, never a problem

This. It's not difficult, and if you keep a spreadsheet of readings you'll be able to accurately answer 'how many kWh do you use?' when getting quotes. Worth doing for water too, gives early indication of a leak. Between home and my shops, I have 6 electric, 4 gas and 6 water meters and monthly readings don't take very much time at all.

1 hour ago, myglaren said:

Resisting having smart meters fitted until I can be sure they are beneficial for me rather than SP.

This too.

6 hours ago, Angrydicky said:

Probably a bit late, but heat is your friend. Heat the nut up with a blow lamp and you should be able to get it moving. Make sure you slide the nut higher up the pipe to clean up the pipe then put a smear of grease on it to prevent it seizing again.

yeah... I don't have any suitable heat making device so I've been trying other methods.  Tried using an easy-out but as soon as it bites in the chuck on the drill slips and I haven't got a square drive that's about 4mm to go on the end of the easy-out so I'm currently trying to figure another work around on this.  I'm going to end up having to replace this whole sodding brake line and I really don't want to, all because of one stupid union that was given a smear of grease when it was done up years ago.

3 hours ago, vulgalour said:

yeah... I don't have any suitable heat making device so I've been trying other methods.  Tried using an easy-out but as soon as it bites in the chuck on the drill slips and I haven't got a square drive that's about 4mm to go on the end of the easy-out so I'm currently trying to figure another work around on this.  I'm going to end up having to replace this whole sodding brake line and I really don't want to, all because of one stupid union that was given a smear of grease when it was done up years ago.

I very much doubt you will shift it with anything other than either heat or regular soaking with penetrating oil, if you’re lucky.

I had exactly the same situation when doing the brakes on my Somerset recently,  heating the nut then very careful use of molegrips on the pipe and a spanner on the nut and I quickly got it moving again.

Although the pipe was, predictably, a bit pitted once I’d moved the nut and cleaned it up. I didn’t replace the pipe because, like yours it would have been a ballache to replace it. In hindsight it wouldn’t have been a bad thing to do to bite the bullet and replace it.

I never fully appreciated how much heat helps free seized stuff off but now I use my very cheap blowlamp regularly and it does a good job, not as good as oxyacetylene but good enough for home use.

For the first time this year I've seen a few wasps this year. Partner is off to Newcastle for food and beer with her mate and has just messaged saying she's been stung waiting for the bus 😂.

Wasps are evil cunts and will sting for no reason whatsoever. I remember being in a beer garden on a red hot day about 20 years ago. I thought there was a bit of sweat running down my arm, no it was a fucking wasp up my t shirt sleeve and the cunt stung me in the armpit. It hurt for a fortnight.

I love bees on the otherhand. My grandad showed me how to stroke them. They're totally placid. He also showed me how to grab nettles without being stung. If you grab aggressively and pull them out they don't sting. It's when you brush against them you get stung.

Getting sick to death of the lack of policing on the roads. For most of today we’ve had a Fiesta four up with young lads driving like Tony Pond round the area. Hammering about at 40 odd where kids are playing, wheel spinning out of every junction. What complete cunts. 

I can only say I’m hoping they aren’t counting on me calling the emergency services when they have a ‘big off’.

1 hour ago, sierraman said:

Getting sick to death of the lack of policing on the roads. For most of today we’ve had a Fiesta four up with young lads driving like Tony Pond round the area. Hammering about at 40 odd where kids are playing, wheel spinning out of every junction. What complete cunts. 

I can only say I’m hoping they aren’t counting on me calling the emergency services when they have a ‘big off’.

Tony Pond !!!! fucking hell how old are you ? 😂

1 hour ago, mitsisigma01 said:

Can you make a DIY stinger or just get a length of barbed wire of barbed wire 🤔🤞

Door mat with nails in it?

Been tempted a few times around here, it's twats in 'VAG PD power M9' cars that are the worst here.

Ordered a good used driveshaft for the Peugeot van that is languishing on my driveway.  Checked the part numbers and in spite of it coming from a vehicle with the same engine and gearbox, the cutting thing is 1/2" longer and has less girth.

Fucking useless.  Bit the bullet and ordered one from ECP instead. 

29 minutes ago, ruffgeezer said:

Ordered a good used driveshaft for the Peugeot van that is languishing on my driveway.  Checked the part numbers and in spite of it coming from a vehicle with the same engine and gearbox, the cutting thing is 1/2" longer and has less girth.

Fucking useless.  Bit the bullet and ordered one from ECP instead. 

Don't be surprised if that is wrong too. There are loads of options.

French

3 hours ago, sierraman said:

TBF if they're as good as Tony was you don't need to worry. A big if, though...

16 hours ago, paulplom said:

For the first time this year I've seen a few wasps this year. Partner is off to Newcastle for food and beer with her mate and has just messaged saying she's been stung waiting for the bus 😂.

Wasps are evil cunts and will sting for no reason whatsoever. I remember being in a beer garden on a red hot day about 20 years ago. I thought there was a bit of sweat running down my arm, no it was a fucking wasp up my t shirt sleeve and the cunt stung me in the armpit. It hurt for a fortnight.

I love bees on the otherhand. My grandad showed me how to stroke them. They're totally placid. He also showed me how to grab nettles without being stung. If you grab aggressively and pull them out they don't sting. It's when you brush against them you get stung.

I managed to survive my entire life without a wasp sting (although I did get stung by a jellyfish when I was about 14) until last year.

Had a little itch on my scalp, so I reached up to itch it. Turned out to be a wasp walking through my hair. The little dickhead stung me on the webbing (if that's the word - I don't have webbed fingers!) between my third and fourth finger

21 hours ago, vulgalour said:

I have a couple of smaller torches that cost very little.

IMG_20220916_103811.thumb.jpg.0e5184a58090d49ce477fa318b839ecd.jpgIMG_20220916_103801.thumb.jpg.13cb0312f2ea0ca869656db3762c1d3b.jpg

Six quid for the bigger one, three for the little one.

Only bought the big one as I bought the gas canisters for my other blowlamps and weed burner and they were the wrong fitting.