The grumpy thread

outlaw118

29 minutes ago, sierraman said:

Look at these shysters... 

698333E5-8440-477D-A4DD-E893C446609A.png

F579B6A1-C350-418F-8F3B-E33688AC3E45.png

Just like my neighbors MK1 Focus. Fist sized holes in the rear sills, god knows what elsewhere. Rusty front arches, undoubtedly with sharp edges. Smokes like a trooper etc. Passed with an advisory "corrosion to rear sills" 🧐 very lenient!

Yes I'm a nosy bastard, only reason I looked was because of how rotten it was and I wondered how long it had left for this world. To my surprise it passed a couple of weeks ago!

Went to change a drive shaft on the A4 today, all set up, tea made, headphones on and whole day set aside for doing a couple of other little bits as well.

Best offer up the new driveshaft before taking off too many other bits, thought I, and so I did... Naturally, it being from Euro Car Parts, the finest* purveyor of automotive bits in the land, it's the wrong chuffing one.

Now I thought I was annoyed when I discovered that out. But then I stood up and kicked my mug of tea over, and now I know what real frustration feels like. I think I might close the wrong side of my socket set later, so they all fall out of place. One may as well drink to the very dregs, and all that...

Sent from my Nokia G11 using Tapatalk

24 minutes ago, Lacquer Peel said:

You're the general public, I'm the general public, most of us aren't trade customers I would guess. 

I'm a trade customer. Feel free to invent any conspiracy you wish about money making etc...

But I'm sick of finding downright dangerous attempts at fixing things on cars and subsequently putting them right 

A lot of plumbing suppliers will only supply boiler parts to the trade .. wonder why?? 

Wipers, sensors, lights etc no bother, crack on and fuck those things up, it's not going to kill anyone. 

But brake discs and pads? Really? Someone who has no experience or qualifications can fit counterfeit parts or genuine parts improperly and compromise their safety and that of other road users?

The internet is full of these classic examples

image.png.c1126c581f7b98821a09e371cd9ba3c6.png

image.png.d9cc71c223322964b33f87f0343cbd31.png

image.png.e781171d03a2651fa428bb7547141f7c.pngimage.png.6b185b73e2ab94ac1912546204bb4d61.png

Need I go on?

But then the other side of the coin is traders claiming to of fitted genuine main dealer parts and yet they are shopping in ECP , also traders that claim to of fitted parts but haven't kept the old parts to show you, as requested. And when you can obviously see that parts haven't been fitted yet are invoiced..... 

5 minutes ago, mitsisigma01 said:

But then the other side of the coin is traders claiming to of fitted genuine main dealer parts and yet they are shopping in ECP , also traders that claim to of fitted parts but haven't kept the old parts to show you, as requested. And when you can obviously see that parts haven't been fitted yet are invoiced..... 

Well that's on them, and it's a different kettle of fish eg a fraudulent misrepresentation of the service carried out and charged for. 

I'm talking about unqualified people being able to purchase and fit parts where safety could be compromised if those parts or the installation failed. 

It's against the law for uncertified people to tamper with boilers? But not taps... 

So should be the same with cars. Can't buy or fit brakes but no issue with the simple stuff

Maybe no need for qualification, just a simple certification to prove they know what they're doing..

3 hours ago, abelw44 said:

Went to change a drive shaft on the A4 today, all set up, tea made, headphones on and whole day set aside for doing a couple of other little bits as well.

Best offer up the new driveshaft before taking off too many other bits, thought I, and so I did... Naturally, it being from Euro Car Parts, the finest* purveyor of automotive bits in the land, it's the wrong chuffing one.

Now I thought I was annoyed when I discovered that out. But then I stood up and kicked my mug of tea over, and now I know what real frustration feels like. I think I might close the wrong side of my socket set later, so they all fall out of place. One may as well drink to the very dregs, and all that...

Sent from my Nokia G11 using Tapatalk

Your main mistake was using ECP . I say it regularly on here but I stand by my words .

Dont Fucking Use Them !!!

life will go better for you 

I shared a yard with a recovery firm that had a contract with the AA to recover vehicles broken down on a close by section of the M6. They used the garage next door to repair these cars. After a complaint was followed up it turned out this garage was invoicing for loads of work they hadn’t done. The end result was the recovery firm lost the AA contract and ended up going out of business. 

Not a royalist by any means but watching the cortege going through Edinburgh on the telly and every disrespectful twat has their phone cameras up recording as it goes past, no heads bowed solemnly,  just strikes me as being hugely disrespectful. It's not like it's not getting bloody televised 

7 hours ago, twosmoke300 said:

Your main mistake was using ECP . I say it regularly on here but I stand by my words .

Dont Fucking Use Them !!!

life will go better for you 

for example-

image.thumb.png.30e89d6d51465edc6f5de12d9564ca9c.png

image.thumb.png.dc30dd5a500ab81cc6e30ddc730c2217.png

and the Cox's price is without the extra £1ish they will knock off for being Civinfo member!

On 9/10/2022 at 1:58 PM, sierraman said:

I know it’s unbelievably annoying. Let’s just cancel everything for the rest of the year, let’s cancel Christmas while we are at it! 

My grump is in Screwfix, some absolute tit was at the front, dithering about which screws he should buy, then what fucking washers then what length. Couldn’t he have fucking figured all this out at home, then at the end it was a £1.75 sale after twenty minutes of deliberation. Off the back of this I can see why some places will only accept trade customers. 

Screwfix is getting terrible for this, full of folk that should be in B&Q asking for advice on how to breathe / dress themselves 

On 9/10/2022 at 4:29 AM, PhilA said:

8th Folsom annual car show tomorrow, and by the very nature of my luck, I cannot go.

Wonderful. I think I'll stop putting these things on my calendar and pretend they don't exist instead.

You've got the Folsom Car Show Blues.

1 hour ago, High Jetter said:

That's just the staff!

I was in Screwfix a few weeks ago to collect and asked to add some C-cell batteries to the order. The bloke looked at me like it was a time-wasting-mentalist! He explained to me, like I was a simpleton, not that they didn’t have them but that they didn’t exist— but that AA’s do, and maybe that’s what I meant.

After suggesting that he search his computer for stock of what are basically big-boy AA batteries he found that they did exist and went to get them. I told him that D-cell batteries would blow his mind if he saw them but he didn’t have a sense of humour either. 

I don’t think brake pad fitting as such is an issue, I can’t really see how you’d get it wrong. It would be impossible to police as someone that way inclined would get hold of some somehow. 

I can see how fitting a brake pipe could go badly wrong if you hadn’t flared it properly or whatever. How many accidents are caused by poor workmanship? 

In fairness though a big turn off on an advert is DIY maintenance, it’s rarely done properly, by that I don’t mean dangerous just everything done too tight/too loose, shit loads of copper ease applied with a spade etc etc

Back from a week's holiday in the bay to find a couple of letters from the police telling me that my vehicles aren't on the MID and that I need to chase it up myself. I have a bank statement showing the money leaving the account & printed certificates for both the vehicles. Does anyone consider this particularly urgent?

What is it with travellers

Just been into the BP,  all pumps in use so I pull up behind a Ford ranger with somone in it but it  doesn't move. Next pump becomes free so i move over , somebody else pulls up behind the ranger 

I fill up, pay, come out and the 2 of them are still in the ranger stuffing their faces laughing with this guy still waiting behind

I move and he pulls on to the pump , are there any normal travellers.

It's like they want everyone to hate them 

2 hours ago, Wack said:

What is it with travellers

Just been into the BP,  all pumps in use so I pull up behind a Ford ranger with somone in it but it  doesn't move. Next pump becomes free so i move over , somebody else pulls up behind the ranger 

I fill up, pay, come out and the 2 of them are still in the ranger stuffing their faces laughing with this guy still waiting behind

they are just a massive pain in the arse.

I did mobile hydraulics repair in my last job, hyd hose replacement mostly.  If I got to a call out that was at a Traveler site or a job that Travelers were involved with I would just tell them “sorry can’t do the job I don’t have the fitting/parts/expertise “.  It would just save the hassle of not getting paid or getting paid and then having them constantly whining/threatening you on the phone expecting you to just drop everything and come and fix their bag of shit Machine for free because I touched it last 

4 hours ago, Wack said:

Yes.  However you'll either never see them because they want to keep themselves to themselves, or if you met them in town wouldn't have a clue they weren't anybody else on the street.  Two of my friends back up north are part of a small travelling group, and the whole group based on my experiences are the sort of folks who would give the coat off their own backs to someone on the street if they thought they needed it.  A lot of their day to day living relies on the goodwill and cooperation of the general public (even moreso these days than in the past), so why the hell would they want to be disliked?

Sadly there are a lot of assholes among the greater community and they have a tendency of being very, very, very visible.

I used to manage two park and ride sites...trust me, I've had plenty of run ins with the asshole type and had to funnel tens of thousands of public money I didn't have into sorting out the mess they left.  Especially the year they didn't just break down the height barriers, but *nicked* the height barriers...

-- -- --

Today's grump from me: What the fluffing HELL is going on on the roads today?!?  I've done about 40 miles today and must have nearly been wiped out half a dozen times between people just not paying attention (especially the idiot in the French plated lorry on the M1 who wound up having drifted across two and a half lanes before noticing), or just being willfully idiotic.

I know, it's central England...a large amount of twattery on the roads is par for the course, but today's just been ridiculous.