The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Just now, High Jetter said:

Spilt? Skin feels smoother though, softer...?

Edited, it is rather late, at least for me. 

The skin feels softer, as would be the desired effect on clothing should one use fabric conditioner. However, the smell is doing my head in!

Having a root canal tomorrow due to an old filling partially failing and becoming quite sore. This makes me and my wallet grumpy.

And about ten minutes ago, said filling failed entirely and came out. Fortunately I've only got until tomorrow afternoon to wait, but it's more than "quite sore" now. Doubt I'll be sleeping much tonight!

1 hour ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Spilt fabric conditioner on my hands earlier today and I can still smell it, irritatingly so. Bah!

How about gearbox oil?! :) I've caked my hands in it many times* and the stench somehow embeds to your skin for DAYS. No matter how much scrubbing it still lingers :(

* NOT  deliberately I must add!

1 hour ago, RoverFolkUs said:

How about gearbox oil?! :) I've caked my hands in it many times* and the stench somehow embeds to your skin for DAYS. No matter how much scrubbing it still lingers :(

I had a bottle of Castrol Syntrac leak in the back of the Forester once.

Absolutely rank.

It wasn't the ultimate reason, but it certainly fed into my calculations of whether to scrap it or not...

5 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

* NOT  deliberately I must add!

My garage stinks of gearbox oil now, has done ever since I started stripping the Triumphs broken box. Don't know why it smells so much more than engine oil (but then I have no idea how either are made or what they might put in them) 

All I know is it is the smell of failure. Every time I open the garage door I am reminded that I still haven't fixed it. 

16 hours ago, andy18s said:

A decent sized correctly worded document telling them not to park on private property but stuck in the drivers line of vision with decent glue should be enough to piss them off,but keep you legal whilst at it

On the bright side,surely somewhere so close to a popular school should be easy to sell ?!?

#sarcasm

Early 90's we used do this on our works car park which was next to a college, right in the drivers line of view with permanent spray mount

On 9/7/2022 at 1:34 AM, LightBulbFun said:

I know @Zelandeth generally keeps TPA parked in a location where someone inconsiderately parking on his driveway, would be blocking TPA's access to the public road

In my eyes, keeping an Invacar from the Queen’s highway is a public service to us all - which should be recognised with one of the highest honours of the British Empire. 

I’d like to shake the naughty driver’s hand, but preferably before @junkyarddoghas smeared it in shit and @GrumpiusMaximushas outed them as a bona fide nonce. (I’ve my reputation to think of…)

!!!!s parking on your drive

many of the suggestions could end up with you having a conviction for criminal damage that wouldn't look good on your CV (and would probably bar you from travelling the the USA, maybe not a bad thing?).  Just remember the 11th Commandment if you do take action, and that these days must include CCTV in the locality and the possibility of a CCTV system in the car itself.

From reading the many postings on this subject in Speeed, Plod and the Law in Pistonheads it seems to me that there is nothing legal you can do if someone parks on your drive but doesn't block you in. Just ensure you have a vehicle that is blocked in so the police have something to act on.  If you do crack a legal way to deal with the problem do let us all know. 

Could Zelandeth park on the local school's drive whilst not blocking anyone in? Sideways across the drive if neccessary.   He might think himself lucky that the parking is only short term around school arriving/departing and that he's not close to an airport  and has someone leave their car for weeks.

5 minutes ago, motorpunk said:

Black Range Rover, check.

Black wheels, check.

Parked on the corner of a T junction, check.

Parked on the wrong side of the road, check.

Parked next to a school, check.

Parked opposite a scout hut, check.

Lots of safe parking a few metres away, check.

2BC486D1-B76F-466C-BB51-247ACF3E66EB.jpeg

Well you have to be close to your customers if you’re a drug dealer.

7 hours ago, kirton said:

!!!!s parking on your drive

many of the suggestions could end up with you having a conviction for criminal damage that wouldn't look good on your CV (and would probably bar you from travelling the the USA, maybe not a bad thing?).  Just remember the 11th Commandment if you do take action, and that these days must include CCTV in the locality and the possibility of a CCTV system in the car itself.

From reading the many postings on this subject in Speeed, Plod and the Law in Pistonheads it seems to me that there is nothing legal you can do if someone parks on your drive but doesn't block you in. Just ensure you have a vehicle that is blocked in so the police have something to act on.  If you do crack a legal way to deal with the problem do let us all know. 

Could Zelandeth park on the local school's drive whilst not blocking anyone in? Sideways across the drive if neccessary.   He might think himself lucky that the parking is only short term around school arriving/departing and that he's not close to an airport  and has someone leave their car for weeks.

Try parking like this on some local bigwigs property & I bet there's loads plod/court can do about it.

I came out of work to a non start on my old fiesta today, not even a click of the starter :( I gave the starter a whack with a pop rivet gun to no avail so called autoaid for the first time since joining them, pleasantly surprised when the guy turned up half an hour earlier than stated, one big whack from his bar and she was away again. I think driving through all the local flooded roads yesterday didn't help matters at all but new starter is on the cards 

7 minutes ago, omegod said:

Parking on the drive,  pop under it and drain the fuckers oil, replace sump plug , a mile or three later they will lean their lesson 

Yes, but sadly I think many drivers would be too stupid to make the connection.  If it was on my drive, I would just push it back off my property, with the aid of a big trolley jack if necessary.

How does anyone clutching a carving knife not instantly lunge it directly into handbag faced, two bit, professional food warmer Gordon Ramsey’s map-of-Colorado-esque forehead while he is dishing out his criticisms, I don’t care if he’s ‘nice’ in real life, fuck him and his leathery, prematurely aged mummified casing. The fact he’s been doing the same thing for 15+ years, bothers me.

While I get it that we should show some respect for the Queen’s death, I don’t see how this is achieved by cancelling TV programmes with “News Specials” and “tributes” all day long ( or is it going to be for 10 days). Firstly they are just reporting everything over and over every 10 minutes,  but worse than that , the “tributes” are either aimed at people with a mental age of 8 or less, tell you the same facts over and over ( I heard there were 15 PMs during her reign starting with Churchill, at least 15 times ), or act like you’d never heard of her before.

I thought they had planned for this day a long time ago, but it came across as cobbled together at the last minute.

As for parliament going into limbo for another 10days,  everything’s been in hold for 8 weeks as it is, we don’t need this and I’m sure it’s not what the Queen would want for the country. No one else is getting 10 days of for mourning. All MPs will be doing is competing to show who is the saddest about the Queen dying thinking it might get them votes.

Charles III could get an instant boost to his popularity (let’s face it , he’s a long way behind the Queen), by saying there’s no need to suspend parliament.

35 minutes ago, Metal Guru said:

While I get it that we should show some respect for the Queen’s death

Why? Sure, she was polite and played the "solemn monarch" part pretty well, but her words are a lot different to her actions - the list of awful stuff she's done is as long as my arm. 

Watching people (friends, peers, people in the media) who I otherwise have a lot of respect for make these ridiculous, cringeworthy (usually paddington bear based) tributes to her makes my skin crawl and is a sad reminder of how deeply the brains of our nation have been poisoned by the long standing idea that some people are just born to rule over us plebs.

Self respecting grown men unironically using the word "ma'am"

It's the poor kids in the bunting factories that I really feel bad for.

Thank god  for youtube/netflix etc.

3 hours ago, Metal Guru said:

As for parliament going into limbo for another 10days,  everything’s been in hold for 8 weeks as it is, we don’t need this and I’m sure it’s not what the Queen would want for the country.

I agree with you, but a fair number of MPs and Cabinet members serve on the Privy Council and hold various other posts of state that are largely ceremonial - until something like the death of a reigning monarch occurs, and then suddenly they have specific duties to fulfil, so end up dashing around making sure proclamations are issued and trumpeters make the right noises at the right time and military gun salutes go off in Hyde Park and stuff.  

They're going to be flat-out for the next two weeks, initially just arranging the funeral and teeing up Charles as king (proclamation due tomorrow, after a load of pantomime involving the Accession Council - also MPs - assorted heralds, the City Marshal of London, and the Garter King of Arms) but also dealing with the clerical fallout of having to oversee the amendment of huge amounts of imagery and wording relating to the Queen from public buildings and civil documents. Parliamentary business - debates and Committee meetings - can't continue as normal under these circumstances.

Then there's the coronation to plan.

It's gonna be a boom time for those few left in the stationery, flagmaking and insignia trades, believe me.

1 hour ago, omegod said:

My employer has just sent round the offer of psychological support for anyone affected by her maj's demise 

FFS the worlds gone nuts 

On reflection I appreciate people who are bereaved may experience some difficulties but it was not framed at all in this way 

1 hour ago, omegod said:

My employer has just sent round the offer of psychological support for anyone affected by her maj's demise 

FFS the worlds gone nuts 

Mine too. Apparently we can all take time during the working day to visit her lying in state and pay our respects.

Does anyone know any decent pubs in Westminster?