The grumpy thread

outlaw118

37 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Eventually found it.  Yep...into a normal round junction box - live on the centre pin and neutral on the outer sheath.

Sorry no photos, it's at full arm's length away under a floorboard (or rather, was, it's now in the e-waste box).  So the previous owners here must have had it actually feeding something, it's not just a wire that's contacting something because of a fault.

Really sick of finding crap like this.  How the hell this place hasn't burned to the ground I've no idea.

Bearing in mind I discovered that when they had the bathrooms renovated they just buried previously used live wires (not even taped over) under the insulation.  That I discovered about a week after we moved in.

As bodges go, using coax instead of T&E is at the worse end of the scale!

6 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

As bodges go, using coax instead of T&E is at the worse end of the scale!

No, I thought the one involving what seemed to be electrical tape in the union between the gas line and the one fireplace was probably worse.

Never ever, ever, ever, ever buy a house that's been owned by someone claiming to be an interior designer.

4 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Just found a bit of decapitated antenna coax cable poking out of the wall here. Which has 230V mains on it.

I'm glad you found the JB in the loft, but how absolute fuck did that manage to happen? I can't quite wrap my head around the fact someone had the gumption to even attempt, and succeed, in wiring that stuff up to the mains.

Had a country wander and then picked up a few things on the way back. Passed a quartet of youngsters about my boys age (12) who were laughing and wanting to high five everyone going past - I declined. You know when you just get that feeling something is off......

EDIT 2 boys 2 girls.... Just to be clear. 

Take the next left 400m later onto the lane home. Another 400m down there are a group of cyclists and a fairly elderly guy is down.... 

Turns out the little bastards had spread out on the lane..... Jumped at the cyclists and managed to push this guy into the nearby metal fence on the sports field. 

Ambulance was pretty quick tbh and he was taken off with a suspected broken hip ffs!

The little shits deserve a high five alright.... Backhand style. 

No lectures on no hitting bullshit OK as I 99% agree. I've never laid a finger on my child - but if he thought the above was acceptable he'd be in for a short sharp shock. 

If I'd seen them do that I'd be in serious trouble...... Still seething - scumbags

31 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

I'm glad you found the JB in the loft, but how absolute fuck did that manage to happen? I can't quite wrap my head around the fact someone had the gumption to even attempt, and succeed, in wiring that stuff up to the mains.

Nothing surprises me here any more.   If we had the time and the money we would really look to get this place totally rewired and replumbed as we just trust nothing any more.

Which is a crying shame as the original wiring and plumbing in this place was done to a really high standard...you just never know which bits have been got at.

17 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Some classics would live to fight another day if it weren't for banger racing. 

And we get right back into the same old same old.... 

I've gotten cheap parts from those that enjoy this. If they'll pay for a car and a restorer type won't (myself included) then it's their prerogative etc.... Its all been said before. 

Look a @Lankytim and his Torslander.... The spare wing etc...

It balances out in the majority I think. Yes - the recent classics destroyed and all over FB was a shitstorm - but how many classic Fords, Minis, T2s or Dub scene top class or expensive cars are stolen and rung? There are total cunts on all sides if you look.... 

3 hours ago, Pieman said:

Also...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-62713425

"He had just received fabulous GCSE results, got into college, and had hoped to study computer science at a top university.
" - so why was he fucking stupid enough to take drugs then?  If that had been me, my parents would probably have told the press I was a moron and that I deserved it.

Think you're being a bit harsh there. A young life has been needlessly lost. His parents are left with nothing but memories and might have beens.They're never going to see him get A levels, go to university or anything else at all. They're probably torturing themselves, should they have let him go, should they have instilled more caution in him.... Young (and not so young) people have always done stupid things and probably always will. The vast majority of times, no one gets hurt and their lives go on, hopefully a bit wiser. I'm sure there were plenty of others who needed first aid or a hospital visit. Not condoning drug taking at all, my many children

Drugs themselves aren't really particularly dangerous, in most cases.  The risks/side effects of most drugs are very well understood, and on paper it is quite simple to calculate a safe dose.

What makes them dangerous is the fact that they're sold by criminals, so the strength and contents are completely unpredictable, unregulated and untraceable. People are going to take drugs whether they are legal or not.

Ordered plugs and HT leads for the focus Friday afternoon... They arrived soon enough courtesy of ECP

I didn't actually need leads but since they haven't been touched for ages I thought I'd better get some just in case they get mutilated on the way out

Sure enough, cylinder 2 was very firmly stuck. Que lots of wiggling and penetrating fluid it finally came free but the corrosion along the inner part of the lead was clearly the cause of that. 

Thought I'd better fit the new ones as the pencil part seems a bit bent and doesn't seem to clip down properly any more

But it then occurred to me after lots of faffing around that the pencils are about an inch longer on the new ones than what came off! So that's why I couldn't get all the cables to sit nicely...

Suppliers were obviously closed by the time I went to reorder the right ones so I've got to wait until tomorrow now

Fortunately it's not misfiring but I would have been a bit stuffed if not

My fault for ordering cheap parts but you'd at least expect them to somewhat resemble the original ones.

Well, I didn't specifically order the cheap parts. I asked for ignition leads and didn't specify.. so fair enough. But they usually dont just send the cheapest crap ones and know to send decent ones which is why I'm annoyed 

TLDR; pattern parts are a pile of wank. 

12 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Ordered plugs and HT leads for the focus Friday afternoon... They arrived soon enough courtesy of ECP

I didn't actually need leads but since they haven't been touched for ages I thought I'd better get some just in case they get mutilated on the way out

Sure enough, cylinder 2 was very firmly stuck. Que lots of wiggling and penetrating fluid it finally came free but the corrosion along the inner part of the lead was clearly the cause of that. 

Thought I'd better fit the new ones as the pencil part seems a bit bent and doesn't seem to clip down properly any more

But it then occurred to me after lots of faffing around that the pencils are about an inch longer on the new ones than what came off! So that's why I couldn't get all the cables to sit nicely...

Suppliers were obviously closed by the time I went to reorder the right ones so I've got to wait until tomorrow now

My fault for ordering cheap parts but you'd at least expect them to somewhat resemble the original ones.

Well, I didn't specifically order the cheap parts. I asked for ignition leads and didn't specify.. so fair enough. But they usually dont just send the cheapest crap ones and know to send decent ones which is why I'm annoyed 

Had mixed results with ECP. Had a Fiat waterpump from them, with no O ring and casting so rough, I had to file it to get it to fit. Did outlive the original though. A cheap Lion battery supplied for a Renault Master seemed unfeasibly light when I went to collect it. Turned out it was much too small. Took it back, hadn't got the correct Lion one, so gave me a Bosch for the same money. Ordered enough bits for last years Meriva project to get free delivery. Parts were ok, but delivered by the most miserable sod on Gods earth! 

27 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

ECP . Say no more 

4 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Eventually found it.  Yep...into a normal round junction box - live on the centre pin and neutral on the outer sheath.

Sorry no photos, it's at full arm's length away under a floorboard (or rather, was, it's now in the e-waste box).  So the previous owners here must have had it actually feeding something, it's not just a wire that's contacting something because of a fault.

Really sick of finding crap like this.  How the hell this place hasn't burned to the ground I've no idea.

Bearing in mind I discovered that when they had the bathrooms renovated they just buried previously used live wires (not even taped over) under the insulation.  That I discovered about a week after we moved in.

This would make a good video for Artisan Electrics or Big Clive.

Whoever is responsible should be tickled with the live end of that coax.

3 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Citybug dipsticks are shite.  The dipstick tube is so convoluted that you have no idea if what's on the stick is from the sump or oil that the stick has scraped off the side of the tube on its way up.

I’m sure you remember the Lagunas dipstick. It’s next to useless!  I changed the oil yesterday and I’m not sure if the oil level is correct or not. It could me next to empty or filled up to the rocker cover for all I know. 

Enthusiasts are as bad, they’ll decree how it’s terrible an old car is raced but the they haven’t a workable plan themselves to actually buy it and restore it. You can see why someone sells to a racer when they’ll turn up with actual cash and fuck off with it whereas the usual enthusiast type will spend a month of Sunday’s dithering, the quibbling over minor issues then assemble some half arsed plan to A frame it from Dundee. Obviously there’s a few bad eggs stealing cars to race but likewise the sport itself doesn’t regulate this, they could but it’s obviously so corrupt that blind eyes are turned.

Truly at a loss to work out what goes on in cunt next door's head. He's walking the dog, other hand has a half drunk bottle of cider in it, and he keeps shouting in his best Apu accent "My turban is dirty" for reasons unknown and laughing at his own wit*

1 hour ago, Lankytim said:

I’m sure you remember the Lagunas dipstick. It’s next to useless!  I changed the oil yesterday and I’m not sure if the oil level is correct or not. It could me next to empty or filled up to the rocker cover for all I know. 

The one on the Cavalier is like this.  It scrapes so firmly against the tube on both sides that it's basically impossible to tell what's actually from the sump versus the tube.  Especially when you've just put nice clean oil in!

2 hours ago, Lankytim said:

Those Renault plastic dipsticks are about the worst I've ever encountered.  They warp so much that you have no idea whether it's the correct length anymore or not, so even if you can get a reading there's no telling whether that reading is taken from the correct level. 

Fuxsake Home Bargains, it's still AUGUST.

1319482014_IMG_20220829_1757102.thumb.jpg.78f2c03b48390c56ef0907b497926694.jpg

334464867_IMG_20220829_1757542.thumb.jpg.71641bed13ac4c8793b4a8b4d63d89a8.jpg

Four entire aisles of this tat, and the biggest tragedy was that there were already eejits cramming their trolleys with stuff like it's their last chance to buy.

It's four whole months away.

It's not quite autumn yet. The leaves aren't even turning brown round here.

#letseasonsbeseasons

5 minutes ago, DavieW said:

And here's me thinking LED bulbs were energy efficient 😮

20220830_213113.jpg

I think energy ratings have been regraded.  Just got a new freezer , they are all rated F or G now, whereas before you could get A and A+ freezers. Probably the same with light bulbs . LEDs may have been A or B before and tungsten filaments G, but now they’ve gone , LEDs are rated lower. Bit like NCAP, a car rated 5 stars 10 years ago, is now a 3 star. Doesn’t mean it’s suddenly a death trap, just there are safer cars available now.

Yup, because the older low-rated stuff had largely been phased out, suddenly newer stuff on the shelves was all being rated as A+ and A++ and A+++ and it was kinda losing its meaning.

The whole system seems to have been overhauled last year or thereabouts.

LED bulbs still use massively less energy than old-style incandescent bulbs.

2 hours ago, Datsuncog said:

Yup, because the older low-rated stuff had largely been phased out, suddenly newer stuff on the shelves was all being rated as A+ and A++ and A+++ and it was kinda losing its meaning.

The whole system seems to have been overhauled last year or thereabouts.

LED bulbs still use massively less energy than old-style incandescent bulbs.

The need to do the same for GCSEs.