The grumpy thread

outlaw118

7 minutes ago, Wibble said:

You are experiencing the same as me but from opposite sides of the water. I’m pretty sure you could get around the council tax as the property is empty. Worth looking into further. Good luck!

I called them up to discuss it,but it has to be paid apparently.

Unless anybody knows different?

It's a lot of money for no benefit really.

I mean, you need to declare inheritance tax these days.  The government trusts you to say if you owe owt as the amount of people who rip it off is less than it takes to pay people to police it. 

Just fucking lie on the form. 

Okay,  if your dads Richard Branson but if you're flogging a £500k house just lie about the value and keep hold of it for a bit. If you get pulled on it just plead stupidity. 

No cunt earning minimum wage at HMRC is going to give a fucking toss. 

36 minutes ago, junkyarddog said:

I called them up to discuss it,but it has to be paid apparently.

Unless anybody knows different?

It's a lot of money for no benefit really.

A quick google suggests this is correct. Free for 6 months after probate, then full amount. Sorry, that sucks.

38 minutes ago, HillmanImp said:

I mean, you need to declare inheritance tax these days.  The government trusts you to say if you owe owt as the amount of people who rip it off is less than it takes to pay people to police it. 

Just fucking lie on the form. 

Okay,  if your dads Richard Branson but if you're flogging a £500k house just lie about the value and keep hold of it for a bit. If you get pulled on it just plead stupidity. 

No cunt earning minimum wage at HMRC is going to give a fucking toss. 

Unfortunately I’m dealing with an estate in Republic of Ireland with solicitor and auctioneer involved so no escaping it.

8 hours ago, beko1987 said:

How filthy is the filter on the bottom side? Is the brushroll turning at all when reclined? Is it clogged by the brushroll? Is the little hose underneath split? 

If you think that a dc07 is flimsy and shite just wait until you use a modern one 😂😭

I had a DC04 for about 20 years. It was a bit like Triggers broom but fake parts are available on eBay very cheap and they fit together like Lego. The newer ones are far more fragile and use more brittle Perspex that looks good but isn’t as tough as something like ABS. 
As for the new cordless ones at £600 a go…

Just over a week ago my son, tested positive for covid whilst staying in a hotel for work, so Rather than go home, to his wife, who is 6th months pregnant (And has other risk factors too) he decided to come to me,  And confine  himself to the spare room and one bathroom.  So for 10 days I provided him with meals, and kept as far away as possible. After 10 days but still testing positive they jointly decided it would be safe for him to go home.   My Dad had laser surgery about 6 months ago on his vocal cords which had cancerous growths and was given the all clear. And yesterday had was rushed into ITU because he's struggling to breathe. Because his vocal cords are closed up. (Maybe the cancer came back?)  

Anyway, I really don't want to visit, in case I've caught something from my son. Haven't seen my wife for nearly 3 weeks as the decorating was affecting her eyes badly.  And she thinks I shouldn't come home this weekend just in case...I test negative, but she's also got some high risk factors. 

And I woke up at 3am and started reading work emails.  Back in January I spent a day looking at a particular problem, and I gave the technician a sketch of how the tool should be different, given that the tool design, woukd have got you a 1/10 In college.  Then I was pulled off, into something else and the technician updated me, to tell me it was now fine. Well, she's on nights now, and the afternoon shift were having a problem, so I went and had a look at the new tooling and new press. Completely fucking ballocks. Anyway I managed to get the old tooling running which gave a 10% failure rate instead of 90% failure rate for the new tooling.  Because of the shit with my dad, I didn't email before I went home, but I mentioned it to the business unit manager.  Anyway middle of the night there's an email from.the technician. What a total and utter load of ballocks. 

I've politely put the record straight, and in 2 hours the apprentice will be talking to the tool maker with my original sketch. I'm fucked if I'm actually going to draw it on CAD myself. I've worked out the critical dimensions, what more do these people need? 

8 hours ago, Wibble said:

Sorry, I disagree. She never married and had no children, so I would say my Mother was her immediate family. What services? From my experience in dealing with her estate, the only service she got was water and they tried charging for that for a while. She had to pay local property tax, pay for refuse collection and health care. I may be missing something as I don’t live there but seems a pretty raw deal to me.

As she is apparently now dead I presume you mean that her legatees are getting a raw deal. They'll still get an unearned windfall. 

Yes Ireland did try to charge for water,as it was a part of the EU/IMF/ECB bailout deal that they did so. In the end the decision was rescinded because of protests. Are there not water charges in UK and almost every other developed country? And is water the only service the government supplied her? What about Gardaí and roads? To name two obvious examples. 

My property tax is €200 per year in the UK it would be £2000. Ireland is a pretty low tax environment and services have to be paid for. Collecting tax after death seems pretty painless to the deceased party while supporting necessary services.

Getting the insurance claim settled from AXA after their insured drove into me was like pulling teeth. However, I got a fairly good settlement in the end. Ten days ago I went to look at another Mégane.It had been up for €9500, which was a bit strong as a private sale even for a nice one, on a 14 plate. Then he brought it down to €9k. I viewed and found out that he wanted to hang onto it until the end of the month, as he was then going to Canada. I made a firm offer of €8500, he wanted €8800, so we parted amicably.Later he texted me saying my offer would be acceptable, as I was willing to wait for the car. Part of the deal was the car being serviced before pickup. Now he texts me saying his mechanic has let him down so it won't be serviced. No mention of a price reduction. In what world is that acceptable?

This car accident/change business has been a total hassle, and the iron has entered my soul. Just texted him back offering the alternative of another €250 off or get an invoiced service done by next Wednesday. 

9 hours ago, Metal Guru said:

I had a DC04 for about 20 years. It was a bit like Triggers broom but fake parts are available on eBay very cheap and they fit together like Lego. The newer ones are far more fragile and use more brittle Perspex that looks good but isn’t as tough as something like ABS. 
As for the new cordless ones at £600 a go…

I must get 2 v10/11s in a week now! They just fill up internally over time and after about 3.5 years start pulsing and saying their blocked. Filters are usually hanging too

14 minutes ago, artdjones said:

Getting the insurance claim settled from AXA after their insured drove into me was like pulling teeth. However, I got a fairly good settlement in the end. Ten days ago I went to look at another Mégane.It had been up for €9500, which was a bit strong as a private sale even for a nice one, on a 14 plate. Then he brought it down to €9k. I viewed and found out that he wanted to hang onto it until the end of the month, as he was then going to Canada. I made a firm offer of €8500, he wanted €8800, so we parted amicably.Later he texted me saying my offer would be acceptable, as I was willing to wait for the car. Part of the deal was the car being serviced before pickup. Now he texts me saying his mechanic has let him down so it won't be serviced. No mention of a price reduction. In what world is that acceptable?

This car accident/change business has been a total hassle, and the iron has entered my soul. Just texted him back offering the alternative of another €250 off or get an invoiced service done by next Wednesday. 

I suspect a service was never on the table, it was basically to get you up to the table enough so he thought you couldn’t be arsed to back out at that point. 

28 minutes ago, sierraman said:

I suspect a service was never on the table, it was basically to get you up to the table enough so he thought you couldn’t be arsed to back out at that point. 

I think it was resentment that I beat him down 500. Anyway, he came back with a counteroffer. Which will be more than enough for the right oil and a  Purflux service kit. At least I'll be sure it's done properly then.

15 hours ago, New POD said:

Despite the fact that I'm going to attempt to leave my kids more than the inheritance tax ceiling, I occassionally wonder what would happen if inheritance tax was 100% of everything over say £1000.

Obviously people would take inheritance tax planning more seriously.   People would think carefully about how big an asset they needed to live in, and downsizing might be more a thing. People might spend money enjoying retirement, as they try to spend it all before its too late.

Also gifts during thier lifetime to offspring might be more likely.  In which case money might be transferred down to the next generation when they actually need it, when they have young kids and a mortgage.  Rather than, now, when people typically inherit when thier own kids have left home, and they've already paid off thier mortgage. 

I've spent 20 years telling my parents, spend it whilst you can, anything you leave to me will be spent on unsuitable cars and holidays to somewhere hot. 

Much of the above makes sense.

Apart from the first sentence.

You tell everyone to make plans, gifts in lifetime etc.

And open up with, I'm going to attempt to leave my kids more than the inheritance tax ceiling.

You need to have a word with yourself, and take your own advice.

Oh bugger.

IMG_20220826_125121.thumb.jpg.6f602258173e7e335e33410e98f906e3.jpg

Apparently I missed that bit, despite giving surface rust (which *is* surface rust) a decent prod about 6" either side of this bit, which is distinctly crunchy.

Not the end of the world as it's just a simple square section so not too bad to reconstruct, but never what you want to find!

Guessing someone jacked the car there long ago and damaged the area and the rust has got in under the underseal.

Edit: In fact no, mystery solved.  That'll be from a telehandler fork then, given it absolutely perfectly lines up with the dent in the door and kink in the exhaust.

IMG_20220826_140504.thumb.jpg.8858c0794113df3f0ac0194fa9bff203.jpg

1 hour ago, PhilA said:

If that's the only crunchy part underneath you need to be happy, not grumpy.

Granted, it was caused by the scrappy but look at it this way, it was saved from a rather ignominious end to become yet another Zanussi* product.

There are another couple of bits, but by the usual standards of one of these that's not already been restored or at least patched up several times over it's astonishing how solid it is.

Just grumpy at myself for having missed it on my initial inspection, I expect better of myself.  Wouldn't have changed my opinion on the car at all mind you.

1 minute ago, Zelandeth said:

There are another couple of bits, but by the usual standards of one of these that's not already been restored or at least patched up several times over it's astonishing how solid it is.

Just grumpy at myself for having missed it on my initial inspection, I expect better of myself.  Wouldn't have changed my opinion on the car at all mind you.

Yup, that would have just been an "oh, okay" moment.

I'm grumpy about eBay. Shipping must begin within 24h of purchase completion.

So far the shipping label has been sitting beside the piece I bought for the last week. 

Love the bending of the rules.

Hate me all you want, behead me etc

ive said it before, and I’ll say it again

those who remove the DPF and or adblue systems from their vehicles 

I find it really, well, anti social, it’s just a bit of a dickhead thing to do

apart from some early designs they’re mostly sorted these days, and with the correct driving manner, or at least take it on the motorway sometimes to regen they’re fine

same as those who remove the catalytic converters 

I’m not a fan of people tampering with emission control devices on their cars

so yeah, hate me all you want, it just annoys me

10 hours ago, artdjones said:

As she is apparently now dead I presume you mean that her legatees are getting a raw deal. They'll still get an unearned windfall. 

Yes Ireland did try to charge for water,as it was a part of the EU/IMF/ECB bailout deal that they did so. In the end the decision was rescinded because of protests. Are there not water charges in UK and almost every other developed country? And is water the only service the government supplied her? What about Gardaí and roads? To name two obvious examples. 

My property tax is €200 per year in the UK it would be £2000. Ireland is a pretty low tax environment and services have to be paid for. Collecting tax after death seems pretty painless to the deceased party while supporting necessary services.

I’m not disputing the necessity of taxes,  or suggesting Ireland is a high tax environment, just that the inheritance tax (or Capital Aquisitions Tax) rate is unfair. Sorry but nothing you have said persuades me otherwise. According  to the revenue commission, income tax pays for emergency services including Gardai, fire, ambulance, hospitals and residential care and road tax pays for roads. She paid both for over 50 years.

14 hours ago, New POD said:

Just over a week ago my son, tested positive for covid whilst staying in a hotel for work, so Rather than go home, to his wife, who is 6th months pregnant (And has other risk factors too) he decided to come to me,  And confine  himself to the spare room and one bathroom.  So for 10 days I provided him with meals, and kept as far away as possible. After 10 days but still testing positive they jointly decided it would be safe for him to go home.   My Dad had laser surgery about 6 months ago on his vocal cords which had cancerous growths and was given the all clear. And yesterday had was rushed into ITU because he's struggling to breathe. Because his vocal cords are closed up. (Maybe the cancer came back?)  

Anyway, I really don't want to visit, in case I've caught something from my son. Haven't seen my wife for nearly 3 weeks as the decorating was affecting her eyes badly.  And she thinks I shouldn't come home this weekend just in case...I test negative, but she's also got some high risk factors. 

And I woke up at 3am and started reading work emails.  Back in January I spent a day looking at a particular problem, and I gave the technician a sketch of how the tool should be different, given that the tool design, woukd have got you a 1/10 In college.  Then I was pulled off, into something else and the technician updated me, to tell me it was now fine. Well, she's on nights now, and the afternoon shift were having a problem, so I went and had a look at the new tooling and new press. Completely fucking ballocks. Anyway I managed to get the old tooling running which gave a 10% failure rate instead of 90% failure rate for the new tooling.  Because of the shit with my dad, I didn't email before I went home, but I mentioned it to the business unit manager.  Anyway middle of the night there's an email from.the technician. What a total and utter load of ballocks. 

I've politely put the record straight, and in 2 hours the apprentice will be talking to the tool maker with my original sketch. I'm fucked if I'm actually going to draw it on CAD myself. I've worked out the critical dimensions, what more do these people need? 

Cpk of 0.35

Dad, went down for surgery this morning. They did a biopsy, They fitted a traciotomy. They did an MRi scan, said he's high a massive tumour on his vocal chords.

Stage 3 or 4 

Anyway, can't talk to him on the phone, so sent him a text.

Nid oes dim i'w anobeithio

Hopefully his 20 years studying an obsolete* language allows him to laugh. 

4 hours ago, maxxo said:

Hate me all you want, behead me etc

ive said it before, and I’ll say it again

those who remove the DPF and or adblue systems from their vehicles 

I find it really, well, anti social, it’s just a bit of a dickhead thing to do

apart from some early designs they’re mostly sorted these days, and with the correct driving manner, or at least take it on the motorway sometimes to regen they’re fine

same as those who remove the catalytic converters 

I’m not a fan of people tampering with emission control devices on their cars

so yeah, hate me all you want, it just annoys me

Indeed. I've just spent several hours and £119 (plus a bit more on clamps, joining sleeve etc) re catting the green Favorit. Has improved it no end.

It's noticeably quieter and previously the exhaust fumes would come back into the car if you had the windows and sunroof open, now they don't. I mean they obviously still do but now they're filtered you don't notice. The previous owner was obviously going total boy racer (to be fair he looked about 25 so he's probably allowed to) but I  just wanted a Favorit, but faster. 

3 hours ago, Wibble said:

I’m not disputing the necessity of taxes,  or suggesting Ireland is a high tax environment, just that the inheritance tax (or Capital Aquisitions Tax) rate is unfair. Sorry but nothing you have said persuades me otherwise. According  to the revenue commission, income tax pays for emergency services including Gardai, fire, ambulance, hospitals and residential care and road tax pays for roads. She paid both for over 50 years.

So what do you think the Irish Government does with IHT receipts? Shove them down the back of the sofa? They go into the pot of money available for public spending. If they were abolished all the budgets of every government entity or service would have to be reduced or all the other tax rates increased.

The amount collected for income tax might cover the services you mention, but the receipts of specific taxes aren't allocated to specific services, in general. In any case, as I said above, your aunt isn't paying the tax, it's the legatees. They are still enjoying the benefits of living in a modern, organised society. IHT is one of the means the Irish Government uses to support that. And as noted in my original comment, one of the benefits is that residential care is provided without beggaring anyone.

12 minutes ago, artdjones said:

So what do you think the Irish Government does with IHT receipts? Shove them down the back of the sofa? They go into the pot of money available for public spending. If they were abolished all the budgets of every government entity or service would have to be reduced or all the other tax rates increased.

The amount collected for income tax might cover the services you mention, but the receipts of specific taxes aren't allocated to specific services, in general. In any case, as I said above, your aunt isn't paying the tax, it's the legatees. They are still enjoying the benefits of living in a modern, organised society. IHT is one of the means the Irish Government uses to support that. And as noted in my original comment, one of the benefits is that residential care is provided without beggaring anyone.

I don’t know why you’re making such an issue of me simply having a grump about Irish inheritance tax rates being unfair but at what point did I suggest IHT was abolished? I’m not 12 years old! “Shove them down the back of the sofa”, I thought we were adults! I’ve only ever said it was an unfair rate.

You have conceded that the services you listed that were paid for by IHT are actually covered, supposedly, by income tax and as for my Aunt not paying the tax, it was her bloody money!