The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Sadly it's quite a common thing. When I was in the ambulance service I was assaulted more times than I can remember. Never pressed charges because of the hassle involved, they were usually knuckledraggers who knew how to beat the system. The one case I did persue because I actually had to take time off work, took months and I finally received £50. The defendant actually said they couldn't remember the incident because they were drunk!! 

Edit: the worst thing is these people know they can continue to call the emergency services because they know the words to use so we had to go. Like " chest pain" " I'm going to kill myself" " my face has dropped on one side" ect. The only plus would be that we would have to wait for the police to turn up first 😡

57 minutes ago, andyberg said:

Sadly it's quite a common thing. When I was in the ambulance service I was assaulted more times than I can remember. Never pressed charges because of the hassle involved, they were usually knuckledraggers who knew how to beat the system. The one case I did persue because I actually had to take time off work, took months and I finally received £50. The defendant actually said they couldn't remember the incident because they were drunk!! 

Edit: the worst thing is these people know they can continue to call the emergency services because they know the words to use so we had to go. Like " chest pain" " I'm going to kill myself" " my face has dropped on one side" ect. The only plus would be that we would have to wait for the police to turn up first 😡

There really ought to be a two strikes and you are out policy for assaulting emergency workers. On the second occasion it happens you are refused medical treatment. Having a heart attack? Tough shit you’ve been struck off. 

21 hours ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

Bodged rust repairs are always fun to discover.

20220820_165108.thumb.jpg.bd73c7834967d455931815751a3a69f1.jpg

20220820_170424.thumb.jpg.cb7eb00daf62e7f64c2f12780e8a686f.jpg

when we had hundreds of 6 inch floppies    (data  discs for those with dirty minds  !!!)    in the test dept years ago ,

we had stacks of aluminium Seperators to go in the drawers which were never used ..

were very useful for doing car "repairs"   :-)

Oh the joys of private renting. The owner of our current house has died and left it to her grandson, who has now decided that he wants a nicer house and is going to sell both ours and his current houses to fund this.

So, this means that we're looking at probably being served our 2 months notice around Christmas if he can't get an investor lined up to take it on. Of course, because we have a dog, no fucker else around here will take us on- he's a 9 year old basset hound and there's no way in hell I'm giving him up- it wouldn't be fair on him or Mrs Labrats mental health. (She's already suffering insomnia and stress at the thought of giving him up and we only found out 2 days ago)

I know that it's our fault for not saving a deposit on a mortgage, etc. But at the time, we couldn't afford to and now were trapped by the fucking cost of renting. 

Still. There's always a tent in a layby I suppose. 

40 minutes ago, LabRat said:

Oh the joys of private renting. The owner of our current house has died and left it to her grandson, who has now decided that he wants a nicer house and is going to sell both ours and his current houses to fund this.

So, this means that we're looking at probably being served our 2 months notice around Christmas if he can't get an investor lined up to take it on. Of course, because we have a dog, no fucker else around here will take us on- he's a 9 year old basset hound and there's no way in hell I'm giving him up- it wouldn't be fair on him or Mrs Labrats mental health. (She's already suffering insomnia and stress at the thought of giving him up and we only found out 2 days ago)

I know that it's our fault for not saving a deposit on a mortgage, etc. But at the time, we couldn't afford to and now were trapped by the fucking cost of renting. 

Still. There's always a tent in a layby I suppose. 

Just remember if you keep paying the rent it'll take at least 6 months to evict you, so there's no need to rush into an unsuitable property ;)

My brother mentioned that there was some news recently about the government trying to make it easier for tenants to keep their pets with them:

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/can-my-landlord-prevent-me-from-keeping-a-pet/#:~:text=On 16 June 2022%2C the,a pet in their home.”

The optimist in me would like to think that this will help, the pessimist asks if it's just a bit of flag waving to win over some support without rocking the boat too much.

When we were moving in to a rental a few years back we asked the letting agent if the property was dog friendly as we had a dog (yes it is sir, current tenant also has dogs). We filled out the online referencing form and included the details of our dog which it asked for if you were bringing pets, and it was then submitted. Everything went through fine and eventually we were in the house. About 6 months later the landlord visits to see how we are getting on... 'Oh, we didn't know that you had a dog, it wasn't mentioned before you moved in?'

It was fine luckily. But I was fucked off with the agents as obviously it made us look deceitful, and kind of defeats the point of bothering to be honest if the agent is going to hold relevant info back...

Fingers crossed it goes smoothly for you both. It's easier said than done, but don't panic; just sit tight and keep looking for something suitable to come up.

2 hours ago, LabRat said:

Oh the joys of private renting. 

It isn't your fault the housing system is fucked. I hope you have some resolution soon. 

I just got turned down for a job I technically didn't even apply for.

Applied for a senior developer role, the company decided instead to interview me for a technical lead role (i.e. the next one up) and then turned me down saying I didn't have enough experience for the tech lead position.

I know I don't. That's why I didn't bloody apply for it...

To be blunt, it's a shit situation. The owner has offered to sell the house to us at his full asking price of £150k... Probably didn't help my case when I told him politely to jog on- this house is in desperate need of a full renovation, including boiler replacement and gutters/fascias. Also its in the shit end of Oldham. 

But mainly, I can't afford it, because the twat put the rent up last Christmas and that's taking all our free cash which would go towards a mortgage deposit. 

Strikes me you have a few options, depending on a few assumptions made.  Those assumptions are:  150k house at 7% return PA means you're probably paying £875/month or so.  Mortgage on that property might be £500-£600 depending on type and provider, and a 10% deposit of 15k.

1. Stop paying rent.  In the current climate it will take a minimum of 4 months to evict you, probably nearer 6.  You'll have saved up maybe £5k in rent over that period, which would be a good deposit for another house.  Rental references might be slightly harder, but it's very easy to fib somewhat and say you've been renting from family or something else.  Rental references are barely ever worth more than "that sounds OK".  Possibly if your rental paperwork is not legally correct it could take a year to evict, meaning you could be sat on £10k, which is getting a bit close to a mortgage deposit for a similar house (although not on that house probably as the landlord likely wouldn't sell to you!)
  2. Keep paying rent.  You'll still run the risk of eviction if the house sale is to someone who wants to live in it rather than someone who wants a tennant.  But you might get a good reference.
  3. If you can get a loan from friends/family/someone for the mortgage deposit, and then make the owner a lower offer for a quick and easy sale.  If you got it for £140k, that would be £14k deposit needed.  With the difference between your current rent and the mortgage, you could pay off your deposit loan in about 4 years and be no worse off.  Then after 4 years your outgoings would drop.

I am no financial adviser, but it does strike me that if you are looking at eviction anyway, any option is better than just continuing to pay rent.  For the amount you pay monthly at the moment, can you rent somewhere similar?

Currently, there isn't much in Oldham for rent that will take pets as well, but that's what we're looking to do whilst we try and get a deposit together for either a mortgage or a better rented place. Tbh, I'll be shocked if it sells anytime soon given the current interest rate hike and the area it's in. (It's gone downhill massively in the last year or so)

It's doable with a bit of time and plenty of effort, just fucking irritating that the first actual contact we've had with the owner was when he turned up with an estate agent to get a valuation. We currently rent through a 1 man band agency, who did inform us of the visit, but forgot to mention why. 

just a thought, can you put in an offer yourselves that you have absolutely no intention of following through with? String it out for a good while to buy yourselves some time? Feed him a load of BS about how much you like the house and want to do it up and then drop him like a bag of spuds once you get an alternative lined up?

22 minutes ago, Talbot said:

Stop paying rent.  In the current climate it will take a minimum of 4 months to evict you, probably nearer 6.  You'll have saved up maybe £5k in rent over that period, which would be a good deposit for another house.  Rental references might be slightly harder, but it's very easy to fib somewhat and say you've been renting from family or something else.  Rental references are barely ever worth more than "that sounds OK".  Possibly if your rental paperwork is not legally correct it could take a year to evict, meaning you could be sat on £10k, which is getting a bit close to a mortgage deposit for a similar house (although not on that house probably as the landlord likely wouldn't sell to you!)

Maybe adios mortgage. https://www.creditladder.co.uk/blog/eviction-credit-score

Maybe Adios renting. https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/private_renting/how_to_rent_with_a_poor_credit_history

Question;  if a a new landlord purchased the property, with existing tenants, would they have to up grade insulation, gas or electrics as per newer regulations?

Going on a holiday to some webbed foot shithole holiday park

finlake lodges it's called so bound to be a shed/static caravan or other shithole. 

Thankfully didn't  have to get wallet out-so I can invest it in alcohol and piss off home after a day or so leaving partner and kids to "enjoy it"  with other family members. 

Seems load of hassle for feck all. 

1 hour ago, Remspoor said:

Maybe adios mortgage. https://www.creditladder.co.uk/blog/eviction-credit-score

Maybe Adios renting. https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/private_renting/how_to_rent_with_a_poor_credit_history

Question;  if a a new landlord purchased the property, with existing tenants, would they have to up grade insulation, gas or electrics as per newer regulations?

It should have a current inspection legally now so electrical installation upgrades unlikely. 

3 hours ago, sierraman said:

Also your chance of a reasonable reference goes if you choose that route. 

It's also the least cuntish thing to do, I've been a landlord with cunts for tenants who've not paid rent and trashed the fucking house owing thousands, it's a cunts trick, I can't believe people are recommending not paying, I hope to fuck you never have to rent your own house out.