The grumpy thread

outlaw118

3 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

I don't much fancy running metal through my new PAS pump myself. It'd bad enough having the rack swimming in it which is why I'd prefer to try and get rid of as much as I can.

Either I do that or try and see if there's a drain on the bottom of the rack somewhere, and use gravity to do the heavy lifting.

Use an upturned 2L bottle with the bottom cut off.

Neck of the bottle into the fluid reservoir, then fill the bottle up with PS Fluid .

Will give you plenty extra capacity, the ability to see the rate it goes down at and additional pressure to force the fluid through?

I've used this technique when bleeding coolant systems on cars before (looking at you BMW E36!)

1 minute ago, 320touring said:

Use an upturned 2L bottle with the bottom cut off.

Neck of the bottle into the fluid reservoir, then fill the bottle up with PS Fluid .

Will give you plenty extra capacity, the ability to see the rate it goes down at and additional pressure to force the fluid through?

I've used this technique when bleeding coolant systems on cars before (looking at you BMW E36!)

It's exactly the method I was thinking of! I'll likely need to gaffa tape where the neck of the bottle wedges in the reservoir so the pressure of the liquid within doesn't pop the bottle out of place and dump lots of precious [bodily] fluids [Mandrake] everywhere.

41 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

I don't much fancy running metal through my new PAS pump myself. It'd bad enough having the rack swimming in it which is why I'd prefer to try and get rid of as much as I can.

Either I do that or try and see if there's a drain on the bottom of the rack somewhere, and use gravity to do the heavy lifting.

Totally your call. If the new fluid is going into the pump, out the pump, through the rack, out the return into the reservoir (or rather - draining out) You're not going to be running the old fluid through the pump, only new fluid. 

Nor would you be eliminating contaminated fluid going through your new pump by running the car while flushing it out? 

Once it's coming out the return clean, that's what's going to be running through the pump 

2 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Totally your call. If the new fluid is going into the pump, out the pump, through the rack, out the return into the reservoir (or rather - draining out) You're not going to be running the old fluid through the pump, only new fluid. 

Nor would you be eliminating contaminated fluid going through your new pump by running the car while flushing it out? 

Once it's coming out the return clean, that's what's going to be running through the pump 

I'm only planning on flushing it through until the glitter is gone, because at that point it's clean enough for me. The premise behind diverting the return is so everything in the expanded reservoir is pushed through the pump, through the rack, then out, hopefully forcing the contents of the rack out so it can be replaced with uncontaminated fluid.

53 minutes ago, SH1TE said:

Seems there is a shortage of posties locally as always before 11 and now after lunch 

Do posties get letters for roads x,y and z and then pick their own routes? Reason I ask , is the time we get our post depends on the individual on a particular day. We may have the same person for 6 months or so and get post at 8.30am , then it changes to someone else and maybe earlier or later time.

10 minutes ago, Metal Guru said:

Do posties get letters for roads x,y and z and then pick their own routes? Reason I ask , is the time we get our post depends on the individual on a particular day. We may have the same person for 6 months or so and get post at 8.30am , then it changes to someone else and maybe earlier or later time.

Ours starts in morning one end and finish other end by 2:30pm ish- seem to share between three regulars. 

Did notice a shagged transit instead of fiat thing, every panel bent and different colour door last week. 

Just now, Fumbler said:

I'm only planning on flushing it through until the glitter is gone, because at that point it's clean enough for me. The premise behind diverting the return is so everything in the expanded reservoir is pushed through the pump, through the rack, then out, hopefully forcing the contents of the rack out so it can be replaced with uncontaminated fluid.

Yep, entirely achievable without running the engine. 

That's exactly what I'm saying, divert the return into a bucket, fill the reservoir with fluid and keep cycling the steering 

While the engine is running the return will be spurting out at much higher pressure. With the engine off, the fluid is still flushing through, just in a much more controlled manner. 

A proportion of the contaminated fluid is going to drain out when you replace the pump anyway, then you connect the low pressure supply to the pump from the reservoir, fill it with clean fluid. The clean fluid will enter then exit the pump, go through the lines, force the old fluid out the rack, back to the return into a bucket and as you say, keep going until it's clean. Once it's clean, reconnect the return to the reservoir and job done. Then I personally would repeat that in a few hundred miles to ensure all residue is gone. 

Think of it as a brake bleed, you don't need to run the engine to do that, all you'd "benefit" from is servo assistance when pressing the pedal which would be unnecessary. The fluid would still flush through absolutely fine regardless of whether the engine is running. Same goes for the power steering, clean fluid is still going through the pump, just in a more controlled fashion at lower pressure. 

I completely agree not doing the method where you empty the reservoir with a syringe, refill with fresh, and keep repeating until it's clean. That would indeed run contaminated fluid through the new pump. 

26 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Yep, entirely achievable without running the engine. 

That's exactly what I'm saying, divert the return into a bucket, fill the reservoir with fluid and keep cycling the steering 

While the engine is running the return will be spurting out at much higher pressure. With the engine off, the fluid is still flushing through, just in a much more controlled manner. 

A proportion of the contaminated fluid is going to drain out when you replace the pump anyway, then you connect the low pressure supply to the pump from the reservoir, fill it with clean fluid. The clean fluid will enter then exit the pump, go through the lines, force the old fluid out the rack, back to the return into a bucket and as you say, keep going until it's clean. Once it's clean, reconnect the return to the reservoir and job done. Then I personally would repeat that in a few hundred miles to ensure all residue is gone. 

Think of it as a brake bleed, you don't need to run the engine to do that, all you'd "benefit" from is servo assistance when pressing the pedal which would be unnecessary. The fluid would still flush through absolutely fine regardless of whether the engine is running. Same goes for the power steering, clean fluid is still going through the pump, just in a more controlled fashion at lower pressure. 

I completely agree not doing the method where you empty the reservoir with a syringe, refill with fresh, and keep repeating until it's clean. That would indeed run contaminated fluid through the new pump. 

Ah, we're on the same page. Nice!

I've just thought of something better. Sod doing it through the pump. It'll be a restriction if it isn't turning anyway. As it's junk and I'll be removing it, I'll just shove a funnel in the HP line and flush it that way. It'll be easier if there's a drain plug on the rack, but I'm doubtful.

5 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

Ah, we're on the same page. Nice!

I've just thought of something better. Sod doing it through the pump. It'll be a restriction if it isn't turning anyway. As it's junk and I'll be removing it, I'll just shove a funnel in the HP line and flush it that way. It'll be easier if there's a drain plug on the rack, but I'm doubtful.

Honestly, take my word, it'll be fine! Flush through the fluid with the pump in place, then do it again anyway with the new pump. No real need to flush it through with the old pump as only new fluid would run through the new one but it wouldn't hurt to do it. I'd be surprised if the rack had any sort of drain. It would be very time consuming by funnelling it through the high pressure line. You want to turn the steering wheel lock to lock - that's the easiest way to flush it out the rack whilst replenishing it with new fluid at the same time

https://metro.co.uk/2022/08/17/hosepipe-ban-should-i-report-a-breach-and-what-is-the-fine-17196895/amp/

This is typical of society today, grass your neighbour up for any minor infraction. Perhaps in the life of the people that devise such schemes it is the ‘right’ thing to do but in real life it’s not what you’d do. 

wtf we are now being told to try using reusable toilet paper !!  , do they realise what my arse releases when it explodes , it needs instant disposal not storing and washing ...  I will stick to having  a good clear out before having a shower ..

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/cost-of-living/shoppers-urged-reuse-toilet-roll-24801862

https://www.google.com/search?q=reusable+toilet+roll&client=firefox-b-d&sxsrf=ALiCzsZ7LTP1RxwF9y_gOUD2YFAjVrECqg:1660922652615&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjzkNWFm9P5AhWTR8AKHQN-AZQQ_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=1366&bih=607#spd=16718598687233490096

9 minutes ago, sierraman said:

https://metro.co.uk/2022/08/17/hosepipe-ban-should-i-report-a-breach-and-what-is-the-fine-17196895/amp/

This is typical of society today, grass your neighbour up for any minor infraction. Perhaps in the life of the people that devise such schemes it is the ‘right’ thing to do but in real life it’s not what you’d do. 

It's pretty shit, isn't it. I've been accosted a couple of times by 'holier than thou' types who've wanted to set me straight over my transgressions. I don't think those fucking maniacs should be encouraged to dob us in to the authorities over things that are trivial in the grander scheme of things. Whilst I'm being told that using my garden hose is wasteful and threatened with a fine, this is happening on my doorstep presently:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-62589667 - Sewage: Sussex beaches closed after wastewater discharge

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/20672364.south-east-water-apologises-pipe-bursts-a22-hailsham/ - South East Water apologises after pipe bursts on A22, Hailsham

I somehow feel that maybe they should get their own house in order before telling us how to be responsible.

46 minutes ago, sierraman said:

At the risk of invoking Godwin's Law, this is nothing new...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blockleiter

Did my weekly shop using the online ordering at my local shop, it took twice as long as normal to be delivered which I wasn't too bothered about, but I unpacked it and instead of the 16 cans of cat food I ordered there was 15 cans of cat food and one can of pedigree dog food. That level of incompetence is truly astounding in my opinion, if every other can has a stoned looking ginger cat on it and this one has some brown dog on it maybe it's the wrong can? Or do I expect too much from someone who definitely doesn't care? Either way I called the shop and explained the situation, to be met with the most apathetic excuse for customer service I've ever experienced. It's not that he didn't want to be helpful, it was that he was obviously so done with working in an understaffed shop that he wasn't willing to put in the effort to think of solutions to the problem presented. Immediately he did something that every single piece of customer service training I've done says to only do as a last resort and offered me a refund, I could write an essay on why refunds are very rarely the solution to the customer's problem but I digress, in my case a refund of 95p will compensate for the missing can monetarily but not functionally. This resolution leaves me having to take time out of my day to buy a single can of cat food at some point over the next week, which is exactly the scenario getting groceries delivered is supposed to avoid. I asked for the missing can to be delivered at some point, emphasising that I understood that they were unusually busy so I didn't expect it to be tonight, he said he couldn't do it because they were too busy. At this point I asked for contact details for the app that they trade through. He said I wouldn't be able to get hold of anyone til Monday, and did not provide the requested details. I bluffed a bit and said I'd found the email address, and asked for his name. He gave me his name then said he would make sure one of the drivers delivers the missing can as soon as they open tomorrow. I thanked him and ended the call happy. I will absolutely be calling the app on Monday, whether it’s to complain or to give them positive feedback on the store rests entirely on if they deliver the replacement can tomorrow or not.

5 minutes ago, reb said:

if every other can has a stoned looking ginger cat on it and this one has some brown dog on it maybe it's the wrong can? 

This sentence made me laugh for some reason. :lol:

On one Tesco Click & Collect or Delivery the picker decided to put a girly pink toothbrush in with my order. TBF it's one of those things where I probably had to accept what I was given. I wondered if the picker was poking fun at me or if that person just selected the one at the front of the display. 

10 minutes ago, Low Horatio gearbox said:

The M5 and its inability to function as a road.

Add the M6 to this! I left Linwood this morning and have only just got back to Basingstoke. I don’t blame the roads so much, just the absolute fucking zombie throbbers using them😡! If we have 3 lanes of motorway they all sit in lane fucking two, leaving lane one empty and effectively reducing it to a dual carriageway. If we have 4 lanes, the gobshites sit in lane 3, with the same result🤬! What the fuck is with these twats?!! And as for “Smart motorways”, they can get in the fucking sea! Dangerous and fucking useless. Lane one closed due to stranded vehicle, fair enough. All other lanes then limited to 40mph when all the while the “stranded” vehicle was in a refuge area with the fucking traffic Wombles! And no, it hadn’t been towed there, wombles were behind the new Aldi! Sorry for the rant, my brain is fried after a really shit day!

3 hours ago, Nyphur said:

Spoke to the seller who did the tracking from his side on Wednesday - he sent me a screenshot saying it had been delivered to my house about an hour before I called.... which it hadn't. So now I have a parcel which the seller thinks got delivered to my house (so probably thinks I'm trying it on with him), and which my tracking says got delivered to the parcel shop on Sunday, then again Monday. Went in to see my mate in the shop to see if it had been delivered there instead but no luck.

Got back in touch with the seller who didn't really know what to suggest, and nor did I. Then got another email Thursday morning saying it had just been delivered to the shop again. Surprise surprise when I get down there..... fuck all.

Sat watching TV last night and the bell goes at about 10:20 - its the Evri guy. He'd tried to deliver it to the shop again and my mate told him to bring it to me instead because of the hassle and shitty tracking - which was good of him. Fuck knows where it had been on its travels between Sunday and last night.

I then got another email from Evri this afternoon telling me it had just been delivered to the shop again. Fucking useless.  

Sorry I laughed at this. It's not at your misfortune and frustrations,  but it is funny if it's not happening to you. 

This is why we are going on strike. Because Royal Mail management basically want to turn us in to Hermes/Yodel etc with their terms and conditions. Including paying new starters less than us. Permanently. So eventually as the older people leave everyone will be on nearly minimum wage. 

57 minutes ago, Wibble said:

Add the M6 to this! I left Linwood this morning and have only just got back to Basingstoke. I don’t blame the roads so much, just the absolute fucking zombie throbbers using them😡! If we have 3 lanes of motorway they all sit in lane fucking two, leaving lane one empty and effectively reducing it to a dual carriageway. If we have 4 lanes, the gobshites sit in lane 3, with the same result🤬! What the fuck is with these twats?!! And as for “Smart motorways”, they can get in the fucking sea! Dangerous and fucking useless. Lane one closed due to stranded vehicle, fair enough. All other lanes then limited to 40mph when all the while the “stranded” vehicle was in a refuge area with the fucking traffic Wombles! And no, it hadn’t been towed there, wombles were behind the new Aldi! Sorry for the rant, my brain is fried after a really shit day!

One of the reasons I stopped driving for a living , I've no idea why but in the last 10 years drivers have got really shit, but.... 

Having had a car fitted with radar cruise I'm wondering if the reason  they all sit in 2 of 3 or 3 of 4 is because the cruise slows down from quite a long way away when it's catching a truck up 

1 hour ago, reb said:

Did my weekly shop using the online ordering at my local shop, it took twice as long as normal to be delivered which I wasn't too bothered about, but I unpacked it and instead of the 16 cans of cat food I ordered there was 15 cans of cat food and one can of pedigree dog food. That level of incompetence is truly astounding in my opinion, if every other can has a stoned looking ginger cat on it and this one has some brown dog on it maybe it's the wrong can? Or do I expect too much from someone who definitely doesn't care? Either way I called the shop and explained the situation, to be met with the most apathetic excuse for customer service I've ever experienced. It's not that he didn't want to be helpful, it was that he was obviously so done with working in an understaffed shop that he wasn't willing to put in the effort to think of solutions to the problem presented. Immediately he did something that every single piece of customer service training I've done says to only do as a last resort and offered me a refund, I could write an essay on why refunds are very rarely the solution to the customer's problem but I digress, in my case a refund of 95p will compensate for the missing can monetarily but not functionally. This resolution leaves me having to take time out of my day to buy a single can of cat food at some point over the next week, which is exactly the scenario getting groceries delivered is supposed to avoid. I asked for the missing can to be delivered at some point, emphasising that I understood that they were unusually busy so I didn't expect it to be tonight, he said he couldn't do it because they were too busy. At this point I asked for contact details for the app that they trade through. He said I wouldn't be able to get hold of anyone til Monday, and did not provide the requested details. I bluffed a bit and said I'd found the email address, and asked for his name. He gave me his name then said he would make sure one of the drivers delivers the missing can as soon as they open tomorrow. I thanked him and ended the call happy. I will absolutely be calling the app on Monday, whether it’s to complain or to give them positive feedback on the store rests entirely on if they deliver the replacement can tomorrow or not.

Will the cat not eat the dog food, just for one night?!  🙀😅

4 minutes ago, Wack said:

One of the reasons I stopped driving for a living , I've no idea why but in the last 10 years drivers have got really shit, but.... 

Having had a car fitted with radar cruise I'm wondering if the reason  they all sit in 2 of 3 or 3 of 4 is because the cruise slows down from quite a long way away when it's catching a truck up 

Nope, sorry, these muppets were not piloting fancy steeds and inside lane were just empty. Just cretins I’m afraid.