The grumpy thread

outlaw118

45 minutes ago, HillmanImp said:

The best hope here is that they're vilified within their own community.

More than likely they'll be praised by the other knuckle draggers as "Legends M8"

Smashing up a rare,valuable,desirable car has a kudos in that community. 

It's bizarre,and some to attain that status will resort to stealing other people's property. 

I'd be livid if it happened to any of my vehicles.

One guy  in a Jag allegedly took issue with them and destroyed both of their cars in the first race, I think the Pontiac lasted about 30 seconds. By all accounts most people at the track were pretty pissed off with them. I know the argument about "most racers are legit" is a bit worn out but it's true. Imagine being a legit racer buying something unusual to race, dragging it out of a hedge where it's sat for the last 30 years and having to spend weeks welding it up and replacing 90% of the mechanical items to get it anywhere near race ready and these guys show up in two cars that they've obtained illegally in full working order, not only that but because of them the place is now crawling with police, even if you are an honest racer you don't want them looking at all your gear and checking over your P reg smiley Transit. 

A seperate grump. The last two IMO car wash vouchers from Confused.com are showing as redeemed 3 weeks ago even though I tried to use them the day after they were issued. Good fun reversing out of a car wash . Got home and tried to do some work on one of my cars, my 100v Makita impact gun decided to shit it's clutch or something.  Gah!!

4 hours ago, HillmanImp said:

Yeah but I bet proving the 2 Coombs lads did it is pretty much impossible. 

"We collected them from this bloke at the services, I've no idea where he was from. His name, John Smith." etc. 

Not sure what the penalty is for having stolen goods 'if you didn't know they were stolen'? Probably nowt. If I bought a bike on ebay and it turned out to be stolen I'd be a bit miffed if I got lifted for it.

There will probably be some sort of paperwork trail they failed to follow but that won't be a criminal offence will it. 

The best hope here is that they're vilified within their own community. Thats probably the best punishment we can hope for. 

Will have to see if they are or not. 

True, tho as they run a breakdown/recovery business*  it would be a bit hard to deny that those 2 oddball and rare cars in clearly not banger condition for banger money wouldn't be a bit* suspect in itself.    Unknowingly buying stolen goods and being miffed is one thing  but being in the motortrade and racing bangers and suddenly being found in possession of 2 hot cars somewhat less so

But as you rightly say there will be a paper or digital trail, hopefully it would lead somewhere if there are resources to pursue it. Tho all tryve done is highlight themselves to the police and Visa now.

Apparently that Ford wagon had only been in this country for a couple of months. It’s owner having just imported it in from LA. Poor bloke must be devastated and pissed right off by what’s happened. 
There are some absolutely immoral horrible cunts out there. I just can’t fathom how anyone could do stuff like this to other people’s things.

Shame on the race promotors/track too for allowing these two shit bags to carry on racing those cars. If that was the last meeting at Ringwood then good riddance if that’s the sort of thing they turn a blind eye to.

On the posts I've seen, haven't really seen the banger community ripping anyone to shreds. Just seems to be a nonchalant shrug on the whole, even seen a few shithouse replies trying to suggest the owners were in on it for insurance purposes, and others saying stolen cars are just a fact of the sport. Absolutely no shame, some people.

While I know it's a minority who do the stealing, a LOT more are complicit and/or turn a blind eye. They're part of the problem as well. If known thieves were drummed out of the community sharpish there'd be far less of a problem.

Eating dinner, neighbours hammer on door like something terrible happening.

To great fan fare the HMO idiots are getting some sort of order or ASBO it seems? I'm told- something to do with elderly.

Didn't want to get involved and believe it when I see it.

Come back and dog had half my dinner away Doh

2 hours ago, danthecapriman said:

Apparently that Ford wagon had only been in this country for a couple of months. It’s owner having just imported it in from LA. Poor bloke must be devastated and pissed right off by what’s happened. 
There are some absolutely immoral horrible cunts out there. I just can’t fathom how anyone could do stuff like this to other people’s things.

Shame on the race promotors/track too for allowing these two shit bags to carry on racing those cars. If that was the last meeting at Ringwood then good riddance if that’s the sort of thing they turn a blind eye to.

May be an image of car and outdoors

This is what it looked like a few weeks before the theft, I remember spotting it in my village around May time, as I live in the area. It isn't my sort of car, but the fact it was stolen with so little respect for other people's passion appals me. I already had a disdain for banger racing due to its needless destruction of rare, running examples of our heritage, but tolerated out of respect for other people's hobbies. However this is too much. Yes, I am sure there were more than a few innocents around the scene, but this sort of thing doesn't happen without a conscious lack of due diligence from crucial parties. 

It seems this sport is on the way out though, this sort of event probably accelerating it. 

I don't usually post here, but had to get it off my chest. It has shocked me for sure, though I probably shouldn't be 

1 hour ago, MisterH said:

May be an image of car and outdoors

This is what it looked like a few weeks before the theft, I remember spotting it in my village around May time, as I live in the area. It isn't my sort of car, but the fact it was stolen with so little respect for other people's passion appals me. I already had a disdain for banger racing due to its needless destruction of rare, running examples of our heritage, but tolerated out of respect for other people's hobbies. However this is too much. Yes, I am sure there were more than a few innocents around the scene, but this sort of thing doesn't happen without a conscious lack of due diligence from crucial parties. 

It seems this sport is on the way out though, this sort of event probably accelerating it. 

I don't usually post here, but had to get it off my chest. It has shocked me for sure, though I probably shouldn't be 

What a lovely old thing it was! Heart breaking what happened to it, and the other car.

Certainly makes you think (and worry) about how safe your own things are. I’m not a million miles away from where it was taken myself and it’s got me thinking about my own yank.

1 hour ago, danthecapriman said:

What a lovely old thing it was! Heart breaking what happened to it, and the other car.

Certainly makes you think (and worry) about how safe your own things are. I’m not a million miles away from where it was taken myself and it’s got me thinking about my own yank.

Yeah, paranoia is constant. I hope that my cars are not the sort that would be of interest to that crowd, but just got to keep enjoying it as much as possible really, shit like this is all too common...

...Or it ends up like the Volvo getting swiped by an overconfident dustcart

Got up from the computer chair too quickly and went dizzy causing me to hoof the dining tabble leg breaking my little toe. This caused me to stumble forward a bit anyd kick the dining chair with my big toe bemding the nail back and making it go black. 

Both on my left foot. Todays drive to Grimsbyish won't be trouble at all.

20220809_062708.jpg

20220809_062716.jpg

As some know, I used to be a banger racing commentator for one of the UK's leading promotions.  There has always been an element of what has been discussed here going on, but this I think is the first time (largely thanks to the power of the internet) that police have turned up and impounded cars during a meeting.

I'm very upset and angry over what's happened, but I have to say that the friendly atmosphere of having a smash-up with your mates that the sport used to have (at most venues anyway) seems to have disappeared over the last few years, and that's one reason I stopped doing trackside PA commentary.  It wouldn't surprise me if all the venues have shut down in the next five years or so anyway, every one of them will probably have houses built on them, and the ones that are still there no one will be able to afford the fuel to race on.

Bought a new-ish car recently for far too much money, mentally justified as a treat for frontline medic-ing during COVID and safe transport for the baby.

Woken at 4am last night by hooting noises in the road outside. Some fuck has run over the bonnet and roof, denting and creasing them in multiple places. There's a high spot in the roof that looks like it will be impossible to repair.

Why fucking bother in this cesspit of a country. I'm done.

i am also in the doctors waiting room, not to be told i am overweight and drink too much (although i am/do) but to get a tetanus jab due to yesterdays silliness in the garage. 

my grump is the dreadful background muzak which reminds me of when polyphonic ringtones were all the rage :( 

i don’t have an appointment so may be here for some time 

On 8/8/2022 at 4:04 AM, junkyarddog said:

Sad end to two nice cars.

So many stolen cars end up on the track.

Didn't the editor of Practical Classics have his Mk1 Granada Ghia stolen and raced too?

I'm surprised the track officials let those cars onto the track,giving the amount of publicity that these cars had after they were taken,surely they have some responsibility in this too?

Time for a ban on banger racing I think,just on health and safety grounds alone.

By what standards do we define a banger, anyway? Seems that most of the racers are stuck somewhere in the seventies.

Shame, both those are quite rare cars even here, now. Most of the Fords fell off the radar as shite and disintegrated into the background, and the big old land yachts rusted into oblivion, with the same few that get dragged out to shows time after time.

A couple stolen cars that are common porridge, with a chance of the owners finding another to replace it? Not so heartbreaking. Those two though? 

Yeah. That's just HEY LOOK AT ME MA I'M GOING FAST MA

3 minutes ago, PhilA said:

What are they interested in? 

Doesn't seem like much, these days.

I was watching Police interceptors last week and one of the coppers was very happy that they'd confiscated a small haul of weed gummies.

"These edibles are made to look like sweeties, which makes them even more dangerous. If I kiddy got hold of them, we could well end up attending a fatality"

19 minutes ago, Coprolalia said:

Nope. Police aren't interested anyway.

Shocking really. 

They didn't call when my lock up got done over at the beginning of lockdown. I lost over £5k worth of tools and stuff. They couldn't give a fuck and instead just gave me a crime number. 

Very handy indeed.

4 minutes ago, cobblers said:

I was watching Police interceptors last week and one of the coppers was very happy that they'd confiscated a small haul of weed gummies.

"These edibles are made to look like sweeties, which makes them even more dangerous. If I kiddy got hold of them, we could well end up attending a fatality"

They weren't in the slightest bit interested in my reporting someone circling around a local town centre for an hour brazenly selling drugs.  Despite having good driver details, vehicle information (he was driving like an utter tit as well which is what initially drew my attention when he nearly knocked over someone at a crossing - white Audi, blacked out windows, private illegally spaced plate...you couldn't make it more of a stereotype if you tried), and details of frontagers who would likely have CCTV of the last six "transactions." Basically everything they needed was on a plate for the taking.  Especially as the area's one with a single way in/out.

"Sorry sir, unless someone is in immediate danger this isn't something we would look to action."

4 minutes ago, chaseracer said:

Be a brave developer who tries that on Hednesford Raceway!

A few funny handshakes and brown envelopes and anything possible.

Round here planning gets turned down with affordable housing, traffic lights and a roundabout.

Resubmitted with expensive parts dropped and although parish and locals in uproar- goes through.

1 hour ago, Zelandeth said:

They weren't in the slightest bit interested in my reporting someone circling around a local town centre for an hour brazenly selling drugs.  Despite having good driver details, vehicle information (he was driving like an utter tit as well which is what initially drew my attention when he nearly knocked over someone at a crossing - white Audi, blacked out windows, private illegally spaced plate...you couldn't make it more of a stereotype if you tried), and details of frontagers who would likely have CCTV of the last six "transactions." Basically everything they needed was on a plate for the taking.  Especially as the area's one with a single way in/out.

"Sorry sir, unless someone is in immediate danger this isn't something we would look to action."

Exactly like here, all full of BS and no substance. Keen to stick stickers on bikes- somewhere gets robbed and it's a crime number.

What he means is that Hednesford is built in the bowl of a former reservoir.

No, what will happen with Hednesford is that they'll keep listening to noise complaints and eventually they will use them as an excuse to close it, while the council promise to find an alternative venue, yknow, just like about 100 other venues in the UK were told and are still waiting for.

On that subject, I think the most ridiculous one was the Cleethorpes stock car track, which got closed due to complaints about noise...and then they built a fairground on top of it.  Yes, a much quieter alternative!  Why don't they just be honest and say "we don't want your sport here, now fuck off" - it hurts less than being lied to!