The grumpy thread

outlaw118

WTF is this? Of all the memorable eateries there have been in Glasgow you've picked a cheesefest franchise outlet from Yorkshire that lasted a whole 16 years? Even the Blue Lagoon is of more note than this and is still trading. All we need now is a paean to Frankie&Bennies or some other anonymous faux-US not-actually-a-diner miseryfests.

51 minutes ago, somewhatfoolish said:

WTF is this? Of all the memorable eateries there have been in Glasgow you've picked a cheesefest franchise outlet from Yorkshire that lasted a whole 16 years? Even the Blue Lagoon is of more note than this and is still trading. All we need now is a paean to Frankie&Bennies or some other anonymous faux-US not-actually-a-diner miseryfests.

It was quite a big deal in Inverness too. Drive through chippy, wow! It was never very good. 

Seems like churnalism

2 hours ago, somewhatfoolish said:

I'm not sure what's wrong with it? It's harmless. 

Glasgow live is chock full of trip down memory lane articles like this.  It's nostalgia laden stuff that will  generate thousands of Facebook pushed clicks to the article by those who remember the place. Hardly cutting edge stuff but that's the sort of shite that sells nowadays. 

There will probably be an article on it somewhere about stealing pick n mix at Argyll Street Woolies before heading home on the bus. 

14 hours ago, somewhatfoolish said:

The original in Guisely was brilliant.

When it was sold and became a franchise its fate was sealed as often happens in these cases, the Brighton one being particularly disappointing in my experience.

I remember a Chinese girlfriend of mine needed the concept of Frankie & Bennies explaining, getting confused over being a mix of Italian & American food! My local one is now a Tim Horton's.

I've only ever been to the original Harry Ramsden's, it seemed a hard sell as a franchise as there are still lots of independent fish & chip shops around with sit down areas.

5 hours ago, Richard_FM said:

I remember a Chinese girlfriend of mine needed the concept of Frankie & Bennies explaining, getting confused over being a mix of Italian & American food! My local one is now a Tim Horton's.

I've only ever been to the original Harry Ramsden's, it seemed a hard sell as a franchise as there are still lots of independent fish & chip shops around with sit down 

You're not from Perth by any chance? Perth F&Bs changed to a Tim Horton's recently. 

2 hours ago, Lankytim said:

Hummm… I mean, innocent until proven guilty but it doesn’t look good. The banger racing FB pages are ripping these two guys to shreds for bringing the sport into disrepute. 

May be an image of 6 people, car and outdoors

126D26FC-0CB1-4962-8F77-054905161C92.jpeg

4BD042F0-4505-4904-A615-3BFA0053C50D.jpeg

Are they retards , racing them at the nearest banger track to where they were stolen from 🤯

Just now, mitsisigma01 said:

Are they retards , racing them at the nearest banger track to where they were stolen from 🤯

Apparently so. Racing them individually is risky but both together at the nearest track? Idiotic. The police got approx 8 million calls from around the U.K. informing them of where the cars were and they’ve apparently turned up and seized them, both were wrecked by that point though, 

1 hour ago, DavieW said:

You're not from Perth by any chance? Perth F&Bs changed to a Tim Horton's recently. 

Was going to say they are part of the same chain but a quick Google shows one is part of The Restaurant Group plc and the other Restaurant Brands International. Best avoided either way

6 hours in, fitting a towbar and ImpJrs bike doesn't fit on the fucking bike rack ffs. 20220807_194950.thumb.jpg.3401357e3b1455592d0fcec33f1598b2.jpg

1539580447_ZomboMeme07082022200305.thumb.jpg.4ca980ecca3ed9880c9c30c38fd18f8a.jpg

His bike fits on the old one, same sort of through the frame design. I can kid of get it to work but after all this effort I want it to work properly. 

Think I'm gonna have to spunk a bit more on one of them ones where they sit on their wheels. Hopefully I can return this one. 

17 hours ago, Lankytim said:

Hummm… I mean, innocent until proven guilty but it doesn’t look good. The banger racing FB pages are ripping these two guys to shreds for bringing the sport into disrepute. 

I came to post this. What fucking clowns, they might as well rob the palace and go to the pub that evening wearing a crown!

Hope they get jail.

But I think it's fair to say the sport was always in disrepute. Fairly or not.

17 hours ago, Lankytim said:

Utter bastards. Makes my blood boil. Shame we don't live in the middle ages still as far as punishments go. 

Sad end to two nice cars.

So many stolen cars end up on the track.

Didn't the editor of Practical Classics have his Mk1 Granada Ghia stolen and raced too?

I'm surprised the track officials let those cars onto the track,giving the amount of publicity that these cars had after they were taken,surely they have some responsibility in this too?

Time for a ban on banger racing I think,just on health and safety grounds alone.

4 minutes ago, Timewaster said:

Of all of Banger racings problems, I don't think health and safety is number one.

Buying or stealing rare cars to race more an issue.

"Scrap" performance built engines

Those who build cars right don't tend to get hurt

11 minutes ago, junkyarddog said:

I'm surprised the track officials let those cars onto the track,giving the amount of publicity that these cars had after they were taken,surely they have some responsibility in this too?

I don't think Ringwood give a fuck, especially as it was apparently the last ever race there. It was flagged that they were stolen before the race and they let them race anyway. 

Reading the comments on Northern Bangers, one of the lads was already barred for life from the circuit for him and his family fighting, so it shows how much they're actually bothered. 

1 minute ago, Dick Longbridge said:

I see Northern Bangers have turned off commenting for the thread. There's definitely a strong case for making it legal to plug your classic's bodywork into 240v when parked up. 

I wonder how many stolen motors slip through the net, are raced and no-one's the wiser? 

The thing is they have zero respect for anyone and must have dumped or sold rest of cars. 

There was a jag back along that no money could save from track, makes you wonder if it was stolen as well

3 hours ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Utter bastards. Makes my blood boil. Shame we don't live in the middle ages still as far as punishments go. 

From what I've seen on face ache and the interwebs people knew of the legal status of the cars before they turned up and the track if not beforehand did on the day and  still let them race.   Proper room temperature IQ for bangering 2 really obscure and  rare cars and local to the racers too, classy.

No way on earth could they claim to not have known they were nicked as clearly they were not the usual rusty banger fodder and even in wrung out rusty old nails shape they would still be worth 5 to 10 times scrap value.  

14 hours ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Shame we don't live in the middle ages still as far as punishments go. 

Yeah, I'm generally opposed to capital punishment, but I can see some merit in reviving older practices for specific cases...

279263028_justice-penitentiary-system-dismemberment-execution-of-jacques-clement-BJN5NX2.thumb.jpg.09e3ebf384b5f2507fe67784c26f487c.jpg

Basically this, but using four Mk2 Granadas instead of horses.

29 minutes ago, Low Horatio gearbox said:

From what I've seen on face ache and the interwebs people knew of the legal status of the cars before they turned up and the track if not beforehand did on the day and  still let them race.   Proper room temperature IQ for bangering 2 really obscure and  rare cars and local to the racers too, classy.

No way on earth could they claim to not have known they were nicked as clearly they were not the usual rusty banger fodder and even in wrung out rusty old nails shape they would still be worth 5 to 10 times scrap value.  

Yeah but I bet proving the 2 Coombs lads did it is pretty much impossible. 

"We collected them from this bloke at the services, I've no idea where he was from. His name, John Smith." etc. 

Not sure what the penalty is for having stolen goods 'if you didn't know they were stolen'? Probably nowt. If I bought a bike on ebay and it turned out to be stolen I'd be a bit miffed if I got lifted for it.

There will probably be some sort of paperwork trail they failed to follow but that won't be a criminal offence will it. 

The best hope here is that they're vilified within their own community. Thats probably the best punishment we can hope for. 

Will have to see if they are or not.