The grumpy thread

outlaw118

5 minutes ago, Rust Collector said:

What winds me up about McDonalds is that the food they serve in the UK is pretty wank when you look at what they have appearing on the menu in the rest of the world. This is probably a bit of a sad thing to admit to, but after I realised that the menu varies around the world I now try to sample the local McDonald's in each country I visit just for my own curiosity. Almost every country I've been to has nicer food at their branches than we get. In some countries, you even get a burger that looks like the one in the picture rather than one that's been stamped on.

Only been in McD's three times.

First was in Denmark at 03:00, just got off a ferry from Sweden and driving to Germany.

I expected the worst and was pleasantly surprised  to find the food OK, freshly baked bread buns plenty of free side salad and coffee, beer or pop to drink, or milk if you wished.

Second time was my daughter wanted her and her mates to go to a newly opened one in South Shields.

Appalling.

And the last time to meet the seller of my last C5.  Just a meeting ground, didn't buy anything.  Rather starve than spend money on that stuff pretending to be food.

The first time would be 1972.  Next time would have been 1984 ish.

7 minutes ago, myglaren said:

Only been in McD's three times.

First was in Denmark at 03:00, just got off a ferry from Sweden and driving to Germany.

I expected the worst and was pleasantly surprised  to find the food OK, freshly baked bread buns plenty of free side salad and coffee, beer or pop to drink, or milk if you wished.

Second time was my daughter wanted her and her mates to go to a newly opened one in South Shields.

Appalling.

And the last time to meet the seller of my last C5.  Just a meeting ground, didn't buy anything.  Rather starve than spend money on that stuff pretending to be food.

The first time would be 1972.  Next time would have been 1984 ish.

Denmark......South Shields.

I think I see the problem.

So, before I left on my holidays at the start of the month, I was contacted by a good friend who is also a chod fiend. In the Favorit Facebook group there was an advert for a very tidy Favorit LXi estate on 35k miles, seemingly rust free. £400. The catch? It's on the Isle of Wight and would be scrapped if not bought in a couple of weeks. He jokingly* said I should buy it as it's nearby (I'm about 2 hours from Portsmouth) and cleaner than my one. This was a couple of days before I left, so obviously was not achievable without ending my relationship with my fiancé. I told myself that the car would sell at that price despite the £200 return crossing with a trailer on top of the purchase cost. Whilst away, I didn't really check Facebook and it was out of mind and all forgotten.

Cue me spotting this the other day:

Capture4.thumb.JPG.ceba7f507756a5156dbbdbcb045ce9ff.JPG

Turns out it didn't sell. Cue lots of people making a fuss and saying it's too clean to break/where is it/can I buy it whole.

I spent a day trying not to think about it, and last night I messaged him asking to buy it outright. No answer, message still unread 😢

He's since deleted the breaking post but left the for sale post up, but deep down I'm fairly sure it's gone over the bridge now.

I have written him another message on the for sale post asking him if I can buy it still and explaining I have the means to collect it and I'm not far away. I won't hold my breath though.

It will be a bit sad if a tidy shell like that has gone to scrap over ferry tickets.

Common sense?  Why has the concept of "continue until a place of safety" seemingly gone out of people's heads?

Today there's someone stopped in lane 2 of a 70mph dual carriageway, shortly after a sliproad so people are likely to be distracted from looking for a stationary vehicle there.  Apparent cause?  A flat tyre.

There's a filling station no more than 400 yards ahead.  Seriously why would anyone with even a shred of common sense not continue slowly to there rather than stop where they did - or even pull off to the side of the road?

Or even put their damned hazards on for that matter...

It was a BMW of course.

Day before yesterday I had a very near miss when I encountered a Peugeot Partner overtaking a long string of traffic right here.

Screenshot_20220728_133438.thumb.jpg.e8d516fc59513cabbb2c41687e1cf2c9.jpg

Screenshot_20220728_133818.thumb.jpg.e410cd8ebfb2bf253788d1b1a7d8ff57.jpg

Problem was he was coming round a blind corner and was about four cars short of having anywhere to pull in to.  The only reason I didn't wind up embedded in the front of his van was that I was in the Invacar so was small enough to get the heck out of the way.  A normally sized car would at least have either made contact or ended up in the verge - any HGV and it would have been messy.

Aside from the whole double white lines, who the HELL would think that was even vaguely a sane place to overtake?!?

10 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Common sense?  Why has the concept of "continue until a place of safety" seemingly gone out of people's heads?

Today there's someone stopped in lane 2 of a 70mph dual carriageway, shortly after a sliproad so people are likely to be distracted from looking for a stationary vehicle there.  Apparent cause?  A flat tyre.

There's a filling station no more than 400 yards ahead.  Seriously why would anyone with even a shred of common sense not continue slowly to there rather than stop where they did - or even pull off to the side of the road?

It was a BMW of course.

Day before yesterday I had a very near miss when I encountered a Peugeot Partner overtaking a long string of traffic right here.

Problem was he was coming round a blind corner and was about four cars short of having anywhere to pull in to.  The only reason I didn't wind up embedded in the front of his van was that I was in the Invacar so was small enough to get the heck out of the way.  A normally sized car would at least have either made contact or ended up in the verge - any HGV and it would have been messy.

Aside from the whole double white lines, who the HELL would think that was even vaguely a sane place to overtake?!?

A lot of people have no clue about how a car operates and how much of a beating it can take , so when the little red light says stop , they stop , afraid the nice shiney car will fall apart about them , so unless a wheel has parted company ( which can happen ) keep on going to a place of safety where a 40 ton artic wont end your existance ..

2 hours ago, MikeR said:

A lot of people have no clue about how a car operates and how much of a beating it can take , so when the little red light says stop , they stop , afraid the nice shiney car will fall apart about them , so unless a wheel has parted company ( which can happen ) keep on going to a place of safety where a 40 ton artic wont end your existance ..

Just been past the area again - They're still there!

3 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

RANT MELON FARMER

the last time i used the works van that happened

theyre in the outside lane and nosed into the concrete barrier

drove past them after taking half an hour to do maybe a mile an a half

front didnt look caved in but why leave it there

guaranteed the traffic wonbles would close stuff even tho they could attach a rope and pull it to the side

happens quite a lot - if it goes bang and stop then ok but if it gradually goes ping then wtf are you in the outside lane for

cue wanker signs and people shouting at them :D

Putting together a bed for the Gfs son. 2nd hand from face ache or wherever   the seller carefully managed to loose a few screws/bits of hardware but the  " piss de la resistance" is..

(Yes it's a house fuse instead of a dowel- its luckily not a safety/strength critical part)

20220728_121753.jpg

9 minutes ago, Low Horatio gearbox said:

Putting together a bed for the Gfs son. 2nd hand from face ache or wherever   the seller carefully managed to loose a few screws/bits of hardware but the  " piss de la resistance" is..

(Yes it's a house fuse instead of a dowel- its luckily not a safety/strength critical part)

20220728_121753.jpg

They’re  probably wondering why their kettles stopped working.

11 minutes ago, Low Horatio gearbox said:

20220728_121753.jpg

That is a brilliant idea

4 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

It was a BMW of course.

Bet the BMW had run flats anyway.

9 minutes ago, Lacquer Peel said:

I blame TV and films where the characters abandon cars when there's a flat tyre even if they are being chased. 

The tyres is likely knackered anyway, better to destroy a tyre than be in a dangerous position 

No abandoning here, they were still sitting in it watching something on their phone.

Bloody sodding useless eBay app.

Yes, giving me a "this item is ending soon" notification 40 minutes *after* the time it actually ended at, that's really useful.  Thanks for that. Well done.

How about 30 minutes or an hour beforehand?  That would have been far more helpful...

On 7/27/2022 at 2:19 PM, barefoot said:

Grumpfest - drove into Loughborough, I seldom buy a MacDonalds, but today I ordered two cheeseburgers & went to pay, '£2.38'. 'Well you've had that', I retorted, 'I've only got two quid'. - 20% fucking inflation. Then over to Pets at Home where a bag of kitty litter, that's like a bag of gravel for my kitten to shit in, cost me £15. And when I got home, the replacement knob for my Cobb barbie finally arrived. £8.40 for a plastic knob & £4 postage which took 9 days!

image.thumb.png.a20abb8a7d7eb160edcaafb999d8e215.png

feel sorry for any one on that M6 today , the burnt out lorry was being cleared up with a jcb and the southbound was one big car park , north bound would of been ok but for the rubber neckers , hope the lorry driver was ok ...

Basically being shut in at home now. Main road to Ayr is closed on weekends for work besides one hour, possibly until September. Road to Kirkmichael is closed for same duration. Only alternative is to go to Dalmellington, then the B741 for New Cumnock, go to Cumnock, then work my way to Ayr from there. Need tyres and can only go on a Saturday for an 0900 slot I've been offered. Not happy.

I adjusted the vectra's driver door check arm a few weeks ago. While doing so I let it fall into the door. This meant removing the trim panel.

When I put it back everything was ok. Now, on holiday 250 miles from home the window keeps sticking.

It's true - no good deed goes unpunished....

1 hour ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Basically being shut in at home now. Main road to Ayr is closed on weekends for work besides one hour, possibly until September. Road to Kirkmichael is closed for same duration. Only alternative is to go to Dalmellington, then the B741 for New Cumnock, go to Cumnock, then work my way to Ayr from there. Need tyres and can only go on a Saturday for an 0900 slot I've been offered. Not happy.

Bloody hell, is that going to cause me problems @AnnoyingPentium? I’m heading up to visit my parents 9th August but on 13th we’re heading from them(Johnstone ish) to Cairnryan for the ferry for a few days in Ireland 🤔

2 minutes ago, Wibble said:

Bloody hell, is that going to cause me problems @AnnoyingPentium? I’m heading up to visit my parents 9th August but on 13th we’re heading from them(Johnstone ish) to Cairnryan for the ferry for a few days in Ireland 🤔

I don't think so if you go A75 then to A77 and work your way up to Ayr and then to Johnstone your usual way. Avoid going the A713 (Castle Douglas > Ayr, Galloway Forest Tourist Route) if you can help it as it's closed at Polnessan.