The grumpy thread

outlaw118

28 minutes ago, Mally said:

I'd never considered this before, but actually Boris and Clarkson are similar in many ways.

I'm not sure if Boris had a regular column or it was just  a  guest column in a car magazine in the mid to late 90s, but I  remember the one I read was all about Boris' adventures and mishaps with his Alfa GTV6.  He also said something along the lines of not being a petrol head  if you've never owned an Alfa years before Clarkson.

27 minutes ago, J R Hartley said:

I'm not sure if Boris had a regular column or it was just  a  guest column in a car magazine in the mid to late 90s, but I  remember the one I read was all about Boris' adventures and mishaps with his Alfa GTV6.  He also said something along the lines of not being a petrol head  if you've never owned an Alfa years before Clarkson.

He was consistent..

https://www.carkeys.co.uk/news/boris-johnson-was-once-the-world-s-worst-car-journalist

https://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=tablet-android-samsung-rev2&source=android-browser&q=boris+johnson+alfa+gtv6

On 7/14/2022 at 10:56 AM, TataBobu said:

WagonR [...] when I got out it started all right, but cut off and refused to start again. So I had to leave it there overnight. Now I have to arrange some transportation for the ton of metal to get it to a garage, and I'll be without a functioning car for about a week for the first time in almost 20 years.

Update: it set me back 700 RON (that's about 120 pounds, or to put it in perspective a bit more than  one sixth of the medium monthly wage over here). 200 transport for two miles, 200 for work and 300 for the pump. Which I could have bought for half, but that garage doesn't work with parts provided by the customers. Another bussiness for my "avoid" folder.

I'm editing the next couple of issues of the best-selling magazine, 'VW Bus T4& 5+'

My grump? I've just had to write an article about a bus with a 'life sized' Bertie Bassett on the roof. You are aware that the chewy little fucker isn't real & therefore cannot possibly be life sized?

Yeah, surely a life sized Bertie Bassett would just be a roof with nothing on it… or I guess it could be a picture of him at the size it is on the sweet wrapper. I mean for all we know, the picture on the bag could be a 1:1 scale drawing of him.

My question is why?? Does the owner feel that a mural of Bertie Bassett is the best way to express their personality*? Maybe I should put pictures of cans of lager and microwave meals on my roof.

Liz Truss was seen on a train with a colleague,,she was repeatedly putting her hand over her face saying "am I smiling , straight faced or sad" .......and it wasn't all that long ago either ..... Her colleague said she was far from normal..... Just what we need in a new leader then 🤨😳😟🙄😒😣😲😭😭😭

4 hours ago, mitsisigma01 said:

Liz Truss was seen on a train with a colleague,,she was repeatedly putting her hand over her face saying "am I smiling , straight faced or sad" .......and it wasn't all that long ago either ..... Her colleague said she was far from normal..... Just what we need in a new leader then 🤨😳😟🙄😒😣😲😭😭😭

Practicing - whatever is guessed shell change the visage and lie her teeth out..... 

Sounds like leadership material to me sadly 

#sorryslightlypolitical

I'm currently stuck running cash only.... Can't access my online banking and card now says see bank. Gf also denied access to hers. 

I'm in UK - bank is in Belgium. 

I've worked in most Eastern block countries including some not so friendly and recently spent time in Ukraine too.... Gf works for a NGO promoting democracy and supporting activists in some of these countries. We're blacklisted for travel now in a few.... 

Apparently accounts flagged as potential money laundering so we're snookered.  Any funds for pro democracy groups are cash or preloaded card only - NEVER bank transfers. We don't know if EU side did it due to activity on our cards when we were there or its 'them' causing the grief. 

Grump is trying to sort it remotely - support my fucking testicle. Useless.  Going round in sodding circles..... Luckily family can help - but being greeted as Senior Escoban is starting to grate a little...... 

23 minutes ago, Back_For_More said:

I'm currently stuck running cash only.... Can't access my online banking and card now says see bank. Gf also denied access to hers. 

I'm in UK - bank is in Belgium. 

I've worked in most Eastern block countries including some not so friendly and recently spent time in Ukraine too.... Gf works for a NGO promoting democracy and supporting activists in some of these countries. We're blacklisted for travel now in a few.... 

Apparently accounts flagged as potential money laundering so we're snookered.  Any funds for pro democracy groups are cash or preloaded card only - NEVER bank transfers. We don't know if EU side did it due to activity on our cards when we were there or its 'them' causing the grief. 

Grump is trying to sort it remotely - support my fucking testicle. Useless.  Going round in sodding circles..... Luckily family can help - but being greeted as Senior Escoban is starting to grate a little...... 

oNLinE bANkiNg iS sO bRilLiANt 

5 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

oNLinE bANkiNg iS sO bRilLiANt 

Take a look at what's going on in China atm. 

It seems 5 of their biggest banks were "fooled" into a using a company who promised great returns on using their customers money.

Director of the company has now disappeared,along with $6 Billion.

https://youtu.be/N57doBGQTNY

IMAG6452.thumb.jpg.8c46c98ddce2e7ed8ce0128bb66c6d0d.jpg

Super, smashing, great.

Princess rear drum backing plates are another NLA item.  There's one second hand pair listed on eBay and I've contacted the seller to confirm they're in better shape than mine so I don't waste a 150 mile trip collecting them because there's no other option right now.

I've got feelers out for the rear axle mounting brackets I need because supply of those seems to have totally dried up too since I last look and, like the backing plates, I don't have spares in stock.  So much for a 'quick brake rebuild'.

On 22/07/2022 at 10:09, barefoot said:

I'm editing the next couple of issues of the best-selling magazine, 'VW Bus T4& 5+'

My grump? I've just had to write an article about a bus with a 'life sized' Bertie Bassett on the roof. You are aware that the chewy little fucker isn't real & therefore cannot possibly be life sized?

Isn't he made of liquorice all-sorts?

So would be about 3" tall max.

Yes, that one. The Wagon R which ate it's fuel pump. 20 miles after getting it out of the garage, 5 miles on my way to the bootsale, it greeted me with a battery light. Went straight back home, and the accessory belt is missing in action. The man who changed my pump told me he had to tighten the belt a bit to stop it from squealing. I bet he never checked to see if any of the bearings are perished:

IMG_20220724_152113225.thumb.jpg.6e2b72232a787da9a7fd5be182e9b034.jpg

1 hour ago, sierraman said:

Is it me or is car theft going through the roof? Constant stream on these local area Facebook sites going they’ve had their car pinched - presumably by this key relay thing. 

Let me guess, Ford Kuga/Fiesta/Focus + Range Rovers 

1 hour ago, mitsisigma01 said:

Wtf is a key relay , you can start two of mine with teaspoons.... Not the same teaspoons though !!!🤨

The Triumph is like that. I've surprised a few people by removing the ignition key without switching it off. You can just pull it out with it still running. Or use any other key in the ignition, even different sizes and shapes. 

The Škodas I quite regularly forget to lock but they've never been pinched yet. They are their own deterrent with people remembering the old Škoda jokes or they just don't even know what they are at all. And the CDs inside are mostly Marillion and T'pau and nobody is going to want those. Not that most people even use CDs any more.

In a nutshell just drive something really undesirable and people will leave you alone. 

Just now, sierraman said:

That’s right! Ecoboost though but same difference. 

I've vetoed the wife getting a newish focus for this very reason, having looked into it in some depth it's ridiculously easy to steal them in seconds with £50 of amazon gadgetry 

13 minutes ago, omegod said:

I've vetoed the wife getting a newish focus for this very reason, having looked into it in some depth it's ridiculously easy to steal them in seconds with £50 of amazon gadgetry 

Is it just the keyless entries? Could be worth investing in a steering lock. 

18 minutes ago, Yoss said:

The Triumph is like that. I've surprised a few people by removing the ignition key without switching it off. You can just pull it out with it still running. Or use any other key in the ignition, even different sizes and shapes. 

My old 320 was the same. I could start the engine, take out the key and lock it, to allow it to defrost on a winters day.