The grumpy thread

outlaw118

19 minutes ago, jakebullet said:

Our area lost power yesterday morning, and as usual it's knocked out the virginmedia land line. It's not come back up, so contacted them, first appointment for fixing is Saturday.

Engage the Ma having a total freak out and giving me 10 tons (metric) of shite. She's going to change to someone else. There is no one else.... land lines are deader than tank tops.

How can she phone her bestie tonight? Use your mobile. You have 16 hours of calls left, and if you use that you can borrow my phone for unlimited calls.

Not going to be able to go out on Saturday. Go out, I'll wait in for visit.

Scream / shout / wishes she was dead. All my fault somehow.

"Shut up, you old bat" - Rene Artois.

2 hours ago, jakebullet said:

Our area lost power yesterday morning, and as usual it's knocked out the virginmedia land line. It's not come back up, so contacted them, first appointment for fixing is Saturday.

Engage the Ma having a total freak out and giving me 10 tons (metric) of shite. She's going to change to someone else. There is no one else.... land lines are deader than tank tops.

How can she phone her bestie tonight? Use your mobile. You have 16 hours of calls left, and if you use that you can borrow my phone for unlimited calls.

Not going to be able to go out on Saturday. Go out, I'll wait in for visit.

Scream / shout / wishes she was dead. All my fault somehow.

When “ tech” goes wrong…. It’s always “ our fault “

On 7/18/2022 at 9:53 AM, robinmasters said:

Wife did this to the new car within a day of picking it up.

20220717_162735.thumb.jpg.d45a8f13ab1cb297aa590a2d594714ab.jpg

Somehow it's not her fault, as she hadn't driven very far. 

Fucksticks.

You say that, but I think it's a Citroen thing. I took my C6 into Birmingham Citroen to have an egged (damaged, I suspect, before I'd got the car) tyre replaced and when I picked it up that's what the wheels looked like - including the really high scuffs.

Dealer didn't know I'd seen it on the way in and told me the car needed a wheel replacing due to a warranty issue. "Is the warranty issue you drove it down a wall?"

Of course he doubled-down on lying until I pointed out I'd seen the car, then owned up that the tyre changing machine (operator) had mangled it but they were replacing it FOC.

Maybe Citroen elves have been replacing tyres like some sort of 21st-century cobbler's tale.

3 hours ago, jakebullet said:

Virgin media have to be the biggest pile of wank I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with. Their customer service is diabolical. When ringing them it was 50/50 if you'd get someone who actually spoke English after being on hold for a minimum of four hours.

This was about seven years ago and their superfast was quick 90mbps iirc but when it only works about 50% of the time and drops out every hour when it was working the fucking speed is pretty pointless.

Now been with plusnet for the last two years. I chose them because of their customer service reviews. On the rare occasion I've had to ring them you get a Yorkshire person to talk to with a next day visit by an 'engineer'.

£24 a month and a guaranteed 67mbps.

I am once again reminded why I never bother selling stuff to the general public.

Aside from the plethora of totally unintelligible messages, you finally get someone who is able to string two sentences together, agree a deal and they say they're on their way.  From three miles away.

That was about three in the afternoon, they have yet to appear and have stopped replying.

Also the garage is full of sodding ants again.

2 hours ago, Remspoor said:

London has fallen.

Screenshot from The Standard. The only positive news is

London to be hit by thunderstorms and rain as heatwave nears end. No doubt that will turn negative when everywhere floods.

image.thumb.png.eb867cfd19a0d8c251f4c928a5e38ccf.png

I really hope this RF was alright. 

FYCFwH-WIAUsVx3.thumb.jpeg.23e27aeb4132cd1993748e5c8aa13900.jpeg

They showed this shot on the 6 o'clock news but made no mention of the bus. I hope it wasn't broken down there. I know people have lost their homes which is probably worse in the grand of scheme of things but it would be a shame to last 70 years and then break down in exactly the wrong place. 

11 hours ago, MikeR said:

I find having a white car in this weather quite useful , wont have another black car after the one we had in the past was like an oven in the sun ..

Whenever I replace my Jazz, I'm seriously considering getting a white car. My Jazz is silver, so pretty good at reflecting the heat though.

1 hour ago, Yoss said:

They showed this shot on the 6 o'clock news but made no mention of the bus. I hope it wasn't broken down there. I know people have lost their homes which is probably worse in the grand of scheme of things but it would be a shame to last 70 years and then break down in exactly the wrong place. 

You did not stop and offer to give them a some assistance? A push may have been a big help🤚

image.jpeg.230386b76b5e038867e8815aaee2edf1.jpeg

Went into the office today on the basis that the bus couldn't be that bad and it was cheaper than running an AC unit at home... well the 8:30 bus into work this morning was bad enough, and despite the weather otherwise being manageable, I figured the bus home coinciding exactly with the hottest temperature of the day was a bad call. Figured I'd treat myself, get an Uber home instead, less walking, and it'd be nice and cool.

Trust me to get what seemed to be the only cab in the whole of Nottingham with no air con. I guess with all the windows down, that little red Prius was probably better ventilated than a double decker?

I’ve been executor of my late aunt’s estate for over three years now and seem to finally be getting close to a conclusion and sale of house also nearly resolved. It needn’t have taken so long but for incompetence of solicitor. Anyway, grump is I need to get to Bundoran, County Donegal to sign some bits (and retrieve my dapping rods) so thought we’d make a short holiday of it for 5 days in August. Can we get anywhere for the four of us to stay? Of course not, it’s a popular holiday destination so fully booked. I’m not at all surprised really. Had I known the house would sell so quickly, I would have booked earlier but didn’t think I’d need to get there this year after how long it’s all taken so far. Ho hum!

2 hours ago, Yoss said:

It' a puppet!

52 minutes ago, Wibble said:

I’ve been executor of my late aunt’s estate for over three years now and seem to finally be getting close to a conclusion and sale of house also nearly resolved. It needn’t have taken so long but for incompetence of solicitor. Anyway, grump is I need to get to Bundoran, County Donegal to sign some bits (and retrieve my dapping rods) so thought we’d make a short holiday of it for 5 days in August. Can we get anywhere for the four of us to stay? Of course not, it’s a popular holiday destination so fully booked. I’m not at all surprised really. Had I known the house would sell so quickly, I would have booked earlier but didn’t think I’d need to get there this year after how long it’s all taken so far. Ho hum!

You could try Belleek, not very far away, in County Fermanagh.

20 minutes ago, artdjones said:

You could try Belleek, not very far away, in County Fermanagh.

Thanks, I will. Don’t know why I didn’t think of that as always come through Belleek on way to Bundoran from Scotland. Best of both worlds there I think, just doesn’t have the vibe of a holiday destination but close enough to where I need to be 👍 

We decided last minute to go to the beach this evening.

I was initially reluctant as I thought it would be jam packed but was outvoted 2 to 1. We chose Silver Sands at Aberdour as it is a nice spot, clean, good parking and facilities.

Although we had a fun time and it wasn't too busy, there was litter strewn *everywhere* and I mean A LOT. It had clearly been mobbed earlier in the day. Overflowing bins is not an excuse, take your shite home with you!

For those that remained, the classic beach icons were all present, in addition to the litter:

- the dry sand was filthy from pollution 

-fag ends in the sand

-feral kids

- stench of hash

- massive fires with no purpose 

- men wearing tracky bottoms and no top

- early 20-somethings gathering in the car park with inexplicably expensive cars. Big new BMWs, Audis and such like.

Is this just a Scotland thing?

In any case, I am ashamed to be human right now. 

Sorry, Earth.

4 hours ago, Yoss said:

oh thats a deeply distressing photograph! even more so that I cant find out what happened in the end

I tried to reverse image search it to find the original this is as far back as I can find 

I noticed in this video tweet you can see the RF and people attending to it, so hopefully it was moved to safety 

1 hour ago, Wibble said:

Some lovely spots round there, used to spend a lot of time up there potholing, up 8-9 time of the year. 

Manorhamilton is nice in Sligo. Belcoo/Blacklion are good. Rossinivor on the shore of Lough Melvin.

Some fantastic scenery, hillwalking, surfing, swimming, fishing, pubs and restaurants around there. 

Lovely part of the world, it's super pretty. 

21 minutes ago, Spurious said:

Some lovely spots round there, used to spend a lot of time up there potholing, up 8-9 time of the year. 

Manorhamilton is nice in Sligo. Belcoo/Blacklion are good. Rossinivor on the shore of Lough Melvin.

Some fantastic scenery, hillwalking, surfing, swimming, fishing, pubs and restaurants around there. 

Lovely part of the world, it's super pretty. 

It is indeed. I have spent many hours on lough Melvin, in a boat with my Dad fishing for trout and having a pint and whisky chaser in Kinlough afterwards and have good memories of a local who thought we were priests! Wish we could do it again. Bloody brilliant that someone else on here knows where I’m talking about.

1 hour ago, Split_Pin said:

Nope. Pretty much all of the above applies to anywhere nice by the sea in Northern Ireland too.

One local beauty spot, Crawfordsburn Country Park, is routinely trashed anytime the sun peeks out and the temperature rises much above 15°C.

Here's a rundown of today's delightful* activities.

BBC News - Beaches: Crawfordsburn and Helen's Bay anti-social issues concern

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-62226478

1 hour ago, Datsuncog said:

Nope. Pretty much all of the above applies to anywhere nice by the sea in Northern Ireland too.

One local beauty spot, Crawfordsburn Country Park, is routinely trashed anytime the sun peeks out and the temperature rises much above 15°C.

Here's a rundown of today's delightful* activities.

BBC News - Beaches: Crawfordsburn and Helen's Bay anti-social issues concern

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-62226478

A lot of people are just pigs , just chucking their rubbish down where they stand. You really have to wonder what their houses are like .

Kids are being brainwashed at school regarding climate change but it doesn’t seem to occur to either teachers or pupil, that litter is pollution as much as “carbon” is.

We really need to start handing out big fines for littering. Unfortunately when  any council tries to get tough with littering, some jobsworth spots a three year old drop a sweet paper and fines the parents £100. The news gets hold of the story and the council decides it’s more trouble than it’s worth.

5 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

I was initially reluctant as I thought it would be jam packed but was outvoted 2 to 1. We chose Silver Sands at Aberdour as it is a nice spot, clean, good parking and facilities.

Although we had a fun time and it wasn't too busy, there was litter strewn *everywhere* and I mean A LOT. It had clearly been mobbed earlier in the day. Overflowing bins is not an excuse, take your shite home with you!

For those that remained, the classic beach icons were all present, in addition to the litter:

-fag ends in the sand

-feral kids

- stench of hash

- early 20-somethings gathering in the car park with inexplicably expensive cars. Big new BMWs, Audis and such like.

Sorry, Earth.

Learn to look on the bright side. At least the man wasn't wearing a tracky top with no bottoms. 

5 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

-fag ends in the sand

-feral kids

- stench of hash

Sorry, Earth.

The scallies, come from Liverpool on the train, carrying beer and barbeques, get off the train at Formby or Freshfield, and walk the mile to the beach, where they are joined by people with a million cars queuing up, to get into National trust car parks, or double parking in residential streets. 

There are inadequate toilets, the national trust no longer have bins, because they end up getting set on fire. 

There are local bylaws preventing alcohol and bbqs because as evening comes there are fights.  Children have been burnt when they stand on bbqs buried in the sand.  

The NT then spend days picking up litter. 

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/formby/features/talking-rubbish-at-formby

It's a beautiful place. I only go in winter when it's raining. 

4 hours ago, Metal Guru said:

Kids are being brainwashed at school regarding climate change 

You can prove anything with facts.

Re: littering. We live in a highly individualistic society where being selfish is rewarded, your own life being easier is the ultimate goal and fuck everyone else, maybe start there instead. 

16 hours ago, paulplom said:

Virgin media have to be the biggest pile of wank I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with. Their customer service is diabolical. When ringing them it was 50/50 if you'd get someone who actually spoke English after being on hold for a minimum of four hours.

This was about seven years ago and their superfast was quick 90mbps iirc but when it only works about 50% of the time and drops out every hour when it was working the fucking speed is pretty pointless.

Now been with plusnet for the last two years. I chose them because of their customer service reviews. On the rare occasion I've had to ring them you get a Yorkshire person to talk to with a next day visit by an 'engineer'.

£24 a month and a guaranteed 67mbps.

I was with Virgin Mobile for years until they fucked me about (long story to do with call charges to Guernsey) and cut off my number.  When I called them on the landline to discuss it, the call operator openly lied to me when I asked if I could be passed up the tree to her manager.  When I pointed out that what she was saying was utter bullshit, she said something different and I was able to tie her into complete knots.  At which point she relented and I got the promise of a call back.  I did actually get a call back and my issue resolved but when that contract expired I fucked right off Virgin Mobile and went to Three, then O2.  I'll never go back and this was ten years ago.  Different section to Virgin Media but much the same experience.

I had a pretty good time with Plusnet when I lived in my old flat.  The couple of times I called them they were quick, responsive and courteous.  Certainly can't complain.

On 7/19/2022 at 8:40 AM, MikeR said:

I find having a white car in this weather quite useful , wont have another black car after the one we had in the past was like an oven in the sun ..

Our 944 is white. Sadly the interior is like the inside of a wheely bin, with its black plastic headlining & black pinstriped velour everywhere.  Couple this with the vast quantities of heat coming off the central transmission tunnel and it's the most dreadful thing to drive anywhere on a hot day!