The grumpy thread

outlaw118

50 minutes ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

A couple of things here really.  Who the fuck prints emails in this day and age?  If you need emails on the move, then the business can get you a mobile phone or laptop?  Secondly, what kind of system lets people take that kind of information off-site and unsecured in such a manner that it can just be left on a train with indentifiable information clearly visible?

My daughter worked in a large hospital, librarian for the doctors, lots of info needed and up-to-date info of course.

It was pretty chaotic and she inherited it all when she started.

Two of the staff had no idea what they were doing on their computers.

One of them printed out all emails, filed them in a drawer and deleted the original.

1 hour ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

A resolved grump this morning.  Last week, one of my mates found a clear plastic wallet full of medical information that had been left on a London morning train with traceable patient information (names of patients, prescription changes and ward locations) that had been printed from emails sent by a hospital.  She didn't want to make a fuss but data protection is one of my pet topics so I called up the hospital trust that was part of the email chain and left a voicemail with their information governance officer.

I got a phone call the next day, sent another email with the picture my mate had taken.  Only the top page was visible but there were easily 30 pages in there of emails.  Got an email yesterday saying that it had been reported to the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) but that it was a Boots Pharmacy employee that had been the source of the information leak.  In that manner, it's resolved because that's the statuatory legal duty with shit like this.  The ICO will decide if further action (including fines for both the organisation and individual) needs to occur.

A couple of things here really.  Who the fuck prints emails in this day and age?  If you need emails on the move, then the business can get you a mobile phone or laptop?  Secondly, what kind of system lets people take that kind of information off-site and unsecured in such a manner that it can just be left on a train with indentifiable information clearly visible?

I used to work in mental health and at the most basic level, we had to anonymise all of our notes (i.e. initials rather than names in everything) and if there was anything being taken off site other than notebooks, there were locked briefcases provided with combination locks so that it would take a bit of effort to steal the information.

Added to all that, everybody has an NHS number that is shared with other providers  like pharmacies - so why they couldn't use those rather than full names in the emails is beyond me.

Conspiracy theory: maybe said pharmacy employee was being paid by a spam/scam company to give them the personal details and that's how they get them, but you intercepted the package...

21 minutes ago, myglaren said:

One of them printed out all emails, filed them in a drawer and deleted the original.

So, so many data compliance issues there.  So many.  Least of all the archiving issue... in some sectors (e.g. financial) it's mandatory to have complete archives of all correspondence.  If she's gone ad-hoc then that would be a sacking offence in some cases.

12 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

We decided last minute to go to the beach this evening.

I was initially reluctant as I thought it would be jam packed but was outvoted 2 to 1. We chose Silver Sands at Aberdour as it is a nice spot, clean, good parking and facilities.

Although we had a fun time and it wasn't too busy, there was litter strewn *everywhere* and I mean A LOT. It had clearly been mobbed earlier in the day. Overflowing bins is not an excuse, take your shite home with you!

For those that remained, the classic beach icons were all present, in addition to the litter:

- the dry sand was filthy from pollution 

-fag ends in the sand

-feral kids

- stench of hash

- massive fires with no purpose 

- men wearing tracky bottoms and no top

- early 20-somethings gathering in the car park with inexplicably expensive cars. Big new BMWs, Audis and such like.

Is this just a Scotland thing?

In any case, I am ashamed to be human right now. 

Sorry, Earth.

Reminds me of this scene from Madmen.

Only more swearing, spare tyres and less clothing. 

Link

Anyone caught littering should be sentenced to a months hard labour picking peanuts out of turds at the local sewage works.

Absolute scum.

10 hours ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

in some sectors (e.g. financial) it's mandatory to have complete archives of all correspondence

Is there a time limit ? I phoned an investment company with details and bond numbers for what was a largish amount 20+ years ago and they are claiming that they have no record of them and can't tell me if they have been cashed or are still earning ...🤔 .... what should be my next move ??? 

3 minutes ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

The stupidity of most people never ceases to amaze me. Wonder how many idiots are going to destroy crops now.

Couldn't agree more. Recently had a moron hoot at me in busy traffic and shout "You got a defective tyre mate. Wanna get that sorted". This put the wind up me so I went out of my way to get to a safe stopping place to take a look. All tyres fine, full tread, inflated correctly. Had another one recently actually overtake me into the path of oncoming traffic as I was waiting to pull out of a junction, shouting "Ya wanna wake up a bit pal". I despair of people and the Outer Hebrides become ever more appealing.

11 minutes ago, Back_For_More said:

TBH I'd wonder just how hot parts of the engine bay and undercarriage are - as the (insert crop here) will spring back and if dry enough it'll all go up I'd have thought..... No? 

Fires in grain fields are quite common and he might as well have set fire to the whole field doing that.

36 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

He obviously thinks it is funny. What an embarrassingly child like man.

Screenshot_20220721-083704_Facebook.thumb.jpg.6553c07b98fc2c82195185997ea47484.jpg

I've left the group.

Double standards as well, from someone who puts their qualifications in their Facebook user name:

Screenshot_20220721-002523_Facebook.thumb.jpg.a4ee4684eaaadcc1d6670ec3a0130b13.jpg

Bet he’s got a bronze swimming certificate the wanker.

1 hour ago, Split_Pin said:

He obviously thinks it is funny. What an embarrassingly child like man.

Screenshot_20220721-083704_Facebook.thumb.jpg.6553c07b98fc2c82195185997ea47484.jpg

I've left the group.

Double standards as well, from someone who puts their qualifications in their Facebook user name:

Screenshot_20220721-002523_Facebook.thumb.jpg.a4ee4684eaaadcc1d6670ec3a0130b13.jpg

I have never seen anyone include that with their Facebook name. Jesus Christ, that's twatty.

Horriblemercedes BA (Hons)

I was filling up a mini-bus at the petrol station the other morning & watched a bloke in a Mercedes pumping up all of his tyres. It was a two door coupey thing & the tyres were the rubber bands you'd expect. "Blimey" I cheerfully exclaimed, "What profile are your tyres?" (They don't call me Billy Banter for nothing). "They're low profile" he grunted,  "Why do you ask?"

Hmmmm, not quite the petrol head I was expecting then.

12 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

On the subject of fucking up the environment, this photo annoyed me even more than the beach littering:

Screenshot_20220721-075542_Facebook.thumb.jpg.87536360a2ffeb7d6d8ab3816a4dddf6.jpg

I misguidedley thought that an 'Admin' would know better than to not only damage a barley crop, but then post up a picture of how cool they think it looks.

12 hours ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

The stupidity of most people never ceases to amaze me. Wonder how many idiots are going to destroy crops now.