The grumpy thread

outlaw118

3 hours ago, MikeR said:

I got some bottled water the other day just in case , as we have had the water go off over the last few years , but then noticed the bog roll isle was nearly empty , is another lock down on the way ....

what went on there to make him stop , the water is only up to the sills ????? 

Hopefully electrical failure rather than hydrolocked 

Insurance renewal is up £80 from last year. £382. I was annoyed. But even more so that I've looked at a million places and I can't get it any cheaper. Nobody else gets anywhere close!  £566 is the best so far. 

21 hours ago, Bren said:

The agony of toothache.

My dentist cannot get me in. No emergency appointments via 111 - they would simply tell me to go to my dentist as I am registered with one.

Everything in this country has gone wank in a short space of time. I may end up pulling it myself.

Have you a dental hospital near you?

If so then if you just turn up - here it has to be early, 7 a.m. ish, they will almost always see you.

On 7/13/2022 at 2:40 PM, sierraman said:

Why are people so angry these days? Took the kids to the beach and some absolute bell end was having a go at the young lass offering donkey rides getting in her face trying to intimidate her on the premise he thought it was cruel to the donkey (despite the Donkeys clearly being well looked after and happy). Looked like same sort of dickhead that would wander round auditing somewhere looking for a reaction. 

I'd like to see him trying that with the coaches on blackpool promenade , he'd be in the back of a transit in seconds 

Was he recording it on his phone. It's all about social media , the 5 minutes of fame is now tiktok, Instagram, Facebook followers 

They're the professionally offended when in reality without social media they couldn't care less, 

39 minutes ago, myglaren said:

If so then if you just turn up - here it has to be early, 7 a.m. ish, they will almost always see you.

Most if not all dentists have slots reserved for emergency treatment.  Mine certainly has, but you have to ring them before 8.30 and specifically request it, and tell them it hurts!  Others must have a similar system.

1 hour ago, myglaren said:

We don't.  The receptionist at my practice told me there were people of a higher priority  than me. I took this to mean they were private as opposed to NHS.

I was on the morning commute earlier behind a car that was about to merge onto the motorway.

In the nearside lane was a flatbed towing a trailer that couldn’t move over and is more or less side by side with the car in front. 

Said car then attempts, without indicating, to merge into the nearside lane almost hitting the flatbed but then speeds up to narrowly get in front with the flatbed breaking hard.

I’m then behind this car for a couple of miles witnessing it changing lanes without indicating and struggling to stay in a straight line. 

I thought they must be drunk. 

When I finally started to overtake and glance over it was a young woman on her mobile literally in her face.

IDIOTS

Not a major grump, but the Scirocco has recently been recovered to a local garage following a breakdown. Whilst it was there I asked if he could mend my horn. Regular readers may remember that this has taken to sounding on occasion when I simply rotate the steering wheel, culminating in me pulling out behind a bin lorry with all the chaps there & me apparently honking like some kind of twat. Obviously I pulled the fuse. 

Collected the motor car this morning & driving home it honked. I rang up to complain, 'You've not mended my horn'. 'Yes I have mate, it wasn't broken, I only had to put in a new fuse!' 

I am surrounded by twats.

39C forecast here at work on Monday. That's higher than the highest UK temperature on record.

I bought £600 worth of air conditioner to keep the place cool (and the staff happy) but its turned up and doesn't fucking work.

Just shoot me.

EDIT: Sod it, I'm closing up for a couple of days and I'll stay at home in the paddling pool.

21 hours ago, sierraman said:

I don’t know I don’t buy into this ‘great investment’ bollocks with them. A £20-30k into Hargreaves Lansdown doesn’t require garaging, tyres and welding. I’m sure you can make a pretty penny but not when you factor in your time and effort. That said if you buy it and it’s a hobby then it is an added bonus if it hasn’t halved in value. 

My mum has a bit of cash spare after a house sale. Last week she sent me a facebook marketplace link to a scruffy 1970s VW bay window that had been fucked about with no end - full of filler, had a poorly fitted subaru engine and a shitty "shabby chic" diy interior. £20k.

I said "why have you sent me this?"

"Well I fancy a camper van and I think it would be a good investment".

After convincing her they are the most hateful piles of shit on the road and that she'd be completely unable to drive it, she was still considering buying it to leave stood out in the rain on her driveway for ten years to pay for her retirement. "they've doubled in value the last ten years" she said. 

28 minutes ago, cobblers said:

My mum has a bit of cash spare after a house sale. Last week she sent me a facebook marketplace link to a scruffy 1970s VW bay window that had been fucked about with no end - full of filler, had a poorly fitted subaru engine and a shitty "shabby chic" diy interior. £20k.

I said "why have you sent me this?"

"Well I fancy a camper van and I think it would be a good investment".

After convincing her they are the most hateful piles of shit on the road and that she'd be completely unable to drive it, she was still considering buying it to leave stood out in the rain on her driveway for ten years to pay for her retirement. "they've doubled in value the last ten years" she said. 

Tell her to find the best Mk1 Focus RS she can for the money and stash that away instead, solid gold investment !  

2 hours ago, cobblers said:

39C forecast here at work on Monday. That's higher than the highest UK temperature on record.

I bought £600 worth of air conditioner to keep the place cool (and the staff happy) but its turned up and doesn't fucking work.

Just shoot me.

EDIT: Sod it, I'm closing up for a couple of days and I'll stay at home in the paddling pool.

Obviously being a postman I'm not particularly looking forward to this. Today was hot but not too bad but Monday and Tuesday look to be in a different league especially as our normal delivery time is approx 9 til 2. 

On previous hot days the the boss at the time has tried to get the mail sorted earlier so we can get out earlier to avoid the worst of the heat. The current boss I don't think even knows what day of the week it is* so I don't expect much help there. 

*you think I'm joking but he has twice rung people up on their days off to ask why they weren't in! And last week there's a duty that comes in about 10 o'clock that just does bigger packets. Boss thought he was off Thursday so covered it with other people. The guy came in to find all his work had already gone out. On the Friday, which was his day off, it didn't get covered so he came back Saturday to two days of packets. 

Just now, Yoss said:

Are you asking us for suggestions? 

Just thinking out loud really, but any suggestions are welcome.

I'm thinking of a more modern ISA. I have a habit of leaving stuff so what I've got now is really not fit for purpose. It's earning about £100 p/a. 

On 7/13/2022 at 9:54 PM, MikeR said:

Door frames for the over 60s ...

I am sure they have some secret mind wiping device in them ...

whats else can explain the fact that I forget why I walked into a room ..

There's also the walk to the shed that completely fries your brain so you get there looking at the 500 things in it with the ,nope not a clue, look on your face

1 hour ago, sierraman said:

Not a lot unless you can commit to 5 years minimum in reality. All depends on how readily you need the cash as well and what level of risk you are happy to accept. 

It's been sat for years and I've slowly topped it up to trigger the higher interest rate. Was 0.1 now 0.2/.0.3

I also started a stocks and shares one at the same time. Similar amount of cash. To be honest I'd like it all in one spot.

11 hours ago, Tenmil Socket said:

I was on the morning commute earlier behind a car that was about to merge onto the motorway.

In the nearside lane was a flatbed towing a trailer that couldn’t move over and is more or less side by side with the car in front. 

Said car then attempts, without indicating, to merge into the nearside lane almost hitting the flatbed but then speeds up to narrowly get in front with the flatbed breaking hard.

I’m then behind this car for a couple of miles witnessing it changing lanes without indicating and struggling to stay in a straight line. 

I thought they must be drunk. 

When I finally started to overtake and glance over it was a young woman on her mobile literally in her face.

IDIOTS

Yeah but I is entitled in it!

5 hours ago, Yoss said:

Obviously being a postman I'm not particularly looking forward to this. Today was hot but not too bad but Monday and Tuesday look to be in a different league especially as our normal delivery time is approx 9 til 2. 

On previous hot days the the boss at the time has tried to get the mail sorted earlier so we can get out earlier to avoid the worst of the heat. The current boss I don't think even knows what day of the week it is* so I don't expect much help there. 

*you think I'm joking but he has twice rung people up on their days off to ask why they weren't in! And last week there's a duty that comes in about 10 o'clock that just does bigger packets. Boss thought he was off Thursday so covered it with other people. The guy came in to find all his work had already gone out. On the Friday, which was his day off, it didn't get covered so he came back Saturday to two days of packets. 

Your at our local sorting office & icm£5

Just got back from picking up a 2008 Mitsubishi Outlander from Devon this morning. I wanted something (relatively) modern and nice for commuting, and to use as a family bus. Found one a long way away but it looked good and well-priced. 

About 10 miles into my 250-mile drive it suddenly felt down on power. No warning lights or anything, but it wouldn't go above 70mph on the flat, and on steep hills speed started to drop. On one particular (very steep) hill, it went as low as 45mph and I had to drop down a couple of gears. 

On downhill sections it would get up to 80mph+ and I spent most of the journey trying to carry as much momentum as possible. 

Acceleration was noticeably lacking on slower roads. It keeps pace with traffic but it's definitely not right. 

I'm hoping it's something simple but I'm wondering if it's perhaps the turbo. The engine sounds sweet and there's no untoward noises or warning lights. It even managed 44.3mpg.

I'm gutted as the car should clean up really well and it's fully-loaded with huge spec. I just haven't got the energy for this. Maybe I'll feel differently in the morning... 

6 minutes ago, MrGTI6 said:

About 10 miles into my 250-mile drive it suddenly felt down on power. No warning lights or anything, but it wouldn't go above 70mph on the flat, and on steep hills speed started to drop. On one particular (very steep) hill, it went as low as 45mph and I had to drop down a couple of gears. 

My C5 was doing that when the MAF sensor was bad. No warning lights, it just felt very sluggish and down on power. New car with a new maf sensor. 

Did you buy it off a garage? Sounds very like the fault was there already.