The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Move into social housing which is the appropriate size for your family, then have three more children and moan to the paper that you're overcrowded because (shock) your landlord doesn't have a supply of three / four bed homes sitting empty for you.

overcrowding.thumb.JPG.52a451da2317b520adc04a46172b0a72.JPG

1 hour ago, myglaren said:

^^ He is far too annoying to have to endure that, interesting as it may be.

I agree. But I pushed myself through it. Very little about electric cars is interesting and this was the same, but in short, this was about how Norway forces its citizens to drive electric and has led the world in this. So we have set up the template how other countries can do the same.

23 minutes ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

I agree. But I pushed myself through it. Very little about electric cars is interesting and this was the same, but in short, this was about how Norway forces its citizens to drive electric and has led the world in this. So we have set up the template how other countries can do the same.

Huge incentives for the already wealthy?

14 minutes ago, Lacquer Peel said:

Huge incentives for the already wealthy?

Taxing ordinary people out of fossil cars is probably the easiest way to explain it. As an example, just on the drive I had to pick up the Vivaro cost me 25 pounds in tolls where an electric car had only paid less than half of that. Then there are the annual road tax, petrol / diesel fuel taxes, taxes on the purchase of a new car and much more. Something like road tolls can be avoided but one must then avoid main roads which takes longer.

A large forest fire is going on 30 km from me now. 3 fire helicopters and many firefighters are working hard to stop it. And 3 firefighters have ended up in hospital and 200 hectares have so far burned up and the fire is spreading. This is scary I live in an area that is covered with forest and in 2008 15 minutes drive from me we had Norway's largest forest fire which lasted 6 days and where about 3000 hectares of forest burned up. So this can get really bad.

9 hours ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

A large forest fire is going on 30 km from me now. 3 fire helicopters and many firefighters are working hard to stop it. And 3 firefighters have ended up in hospital and 200 hectares have so far burned up and the fire is spreading. This is scary I live in an area that is covered with forest and in 2008 15 minutes drive from me we had Norway's largest forest fire which lasted 6 days and where about 3000 hectares of forest burned up. So this can get really bad.

Good news. After working through the night, the fire brigade managed to get control of the fire and managed to stop it from reaching a power plant. Fortunately, the 3 injured firefighters have only minor injuries. So we were lucky this time.

14 hours ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

Taxing ordinary people out of fossil cars is probably the easiest way to explain it. As an example, just on the drive I had to pick up the Vivaro cost me 25 pounds in tolls where an electric car had only paid less than half of that. Then there are the annual road tax, petrol / diesel fuel taxes, taxes on the purchase of a new car and much more. Something like road tolls can be avoided but one must then avoid main roads which takes longer.

I’ve always thought that the EV thing was designed to drive the ordinary working man out of private car ownership, and onto public transport…..

Quite a serious house fire on my patch yesterday.  Started in a garage, two houses gutted, two badly damaged, but fortunately nobody hurt. 

I  saw heavy black smoke rising a few streets away, heard a few sirens, and as it was a bit close to home I went out for a recce.   Something was well alight at the end of the street.  It was not coming my way, and was being dealt with, so didn't go any closer and get in the way.   There were a few other spectators there.   I remarked about the dense smoke to one chap, who said,   "Oh, yes.  We live in X.  You could see it from there!" 

X. is a village about 7 miles away.  So matey saw a cloud of smoke on the horizon, nothing to do with him, and got in his car with his family and drove 7 miles to see what it was?   Clearly they don't have enough to do out in these country places and have to make their own entertainment, but ffs.  Or is it just me?

9 hours ago, jakebullet said:

Maybe they did get copped* as noise suddenly stops. I can hear a voice saying "keep it down". Dickhead says "I live here". Then 2 mins later he's telling kids to go to bed.

Of course if it was cops he'll know its me.

Had this happen about 10years ago. Neighbour across the road went on holiday leaving his dickhead son to mind the house. Son (late 20's) decides to have a very loud party till 2am then all went quiet. He did the same the following evening but 2am went by and party was still at full tilt.

I tried knocking/hammering on the door but the music was soo loud he couldn't hear it.

Another neighbour used their house phone to call the police and was told to call the council noise abatement team as it was a civil matter!!!

But this time the whole street was out moaning (all old duffers so not in a physical condition to cause a ruckus). I then trotted down to the local payphone (remember those) to ensure relative anonomimity and called the police. Was told the same about calling the council. 

I politely informed the call handler it would be a bit late by then as a certain someone would have kicked his door in and smashed his stereo amp over his head and they should probably attend chop chop.

Call handler told me they'd send someone out on account of threats being made.

20mins later, problem solved.

12 hours ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

You all need to get out and rake the forests, like they do in Finland 🙄

30 minutes ago, myglaren said:

You all need to get out and rake the forests, like they do in Finland 🙄

If you are thinking of Svedjebruk? Where one cut down a forest, burn it and then grow rye in it, then this is possible. But this area is probably too large and in too difficult terrain for this.

21 minutes ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

If you are thinking of Svedjebruk? Where one cut down a forest, burn it and then grow rye in it, then this is possible. But this area is probably too large and in too difficult terrain for this.

No, it was a quote of the idiot trump who said he had spoken to Finland's PM and claimed the PM told him that they have no forest fires in Finland as they rake the forests.

17 minutes ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

I tend to ignore everything that idiot says. So I have never heard this.

I’ve see videos of these forest fires. The trees burst into fire with the heat before the actual flames touch them. So raking out the dead stuff between trees will have limited effect unless you fell a large part.

Edit @Mr PastryYeah - I won't travel 😁 it comes to you eventually

Awoken to sirens and Police helicopter at 1.30ish this morning as a local car thief came through trying to use the forest behind as an escape route.... Stolen Movano camper thing ploughed into the shipping containers in the yard at the end of the close.... So now they are being checked/investigated and a lot of locals using the place for 'storage' are getting nervous..... 

The officers switched off their siren in exchange for a cup of tea....  So not all bad. 

Runner was found hiding under a digger in a plant yard not far away apparently. 

Poor van was fucked 

3 hours ago, Mr Pastry said:

Quite a serious house fire on my patch yesterday.  Started in a garage, two houses gutted, two badly damaged, but fortunately nobody hurt. 

I  saw heavy black smoke rising a few streets away, heard a few sirens, and as it was a bit close to home I went out for a recce.   Something was well alight at the end of the street.  It was not coming my way, and was being dealt with, so didn't go any closer and get in the way.   There were a few other spectators there.   I remarked about the dense smoke to one chap, who said,   "Oh, yes.  We live in X.  You could see it from there!" 

X. is a village about 7 miles away.  So matey saw a cloud of smoke on the horizon, nothing to do with him, and got in his car with his family and drove 7 miles to see what it was?   Clearly they don't have enough to do out in these country places and have to make their own entertainment, but ffs.  Or is it just me?

Presumably he was disappointed about the lack of charred corpse….

20 minutes ago, Aston Martin said:

The amount of times I follow women.... At the Tesco tyre pressury machinery and it's always either 24 or 26 psi.

I don't give a fuck if you're driving a Bentgayer W12 or a Hillman Imp. Just lob 32 in all around.

Don't wish to sound anal but manufacturers specify tyre pressures for a reason. 

Case in point I serviced a Mazda 2 recently, the recommended figure was something like 36psi front, they were running 31psi and the tyres were starting to wear unevenly, not visibly but when measured - 4.5mm on the left/right and 5mm in the middle. 

This hot/humid weather doesn't need to do one. It needs to stay the ****ing same long enough for me to acclimatise to it, just like people in far hotter/more humid countries do. I'm currently gasping like a bronchially-challenged fish and wiping litres of sweat off my head/arse/chair/floor every few minutes (despite the fan & iced water), in the certain knowledge that a couple of weeks will see a plunge in temperatures and probably a ton of drizzly rain.

How/why the hell did any sane civilisations stay long enough in Britain to make it an actual 1st-world country? It has the most utterly stupid, crappy, inane climate of any place on earth. I can't blame global warming - it's apparently been just as retarded for the whole of recorded history thanks to eternally-battling weather systems, and still people actually CHOSE to stay here and build cities and stuff. WHY?!

8 hours ago, Metal Guru said:

I’ve see videos of these forest fires. The trees burst into fire with the heat before the actual flames touch them. So raking out the dead stuff between trees will have limited effect unless you fell a large part.

I was in the middle of a large forest fire in 1983 in the drome valley south of France. It was quite frightening when you’re 11,  to have the fire fighters banging on the door in the middle of the night telling us to get out while spraying the roof of the gite with water. The owners in their farmhouse next door refused to leave . My more lasting memory is my mum telling us to get something important to take to the car to go and my younger sister getting a box of cornflakes. The new visa was covered in little red dots- the fire retardant stuff dropped from planes.

A4FB8DF7-9831-4B57-8BB4-EE2A5C0D70DC.jpeg

On 7/9/2022 at 4:37 PM, myglaren said:

^^ He is far too annoying to have to endure that, interesting as it may be.

yep cant watch the other bits with that eliot gadge in them either even tho the chinese stuff he talks about would be interesting

mr llewelwyn (?) ftw

1 hour ago, MrDuke said:

This hot/humid weather doesn't need to do one. It needs to stay the ****ing same long enough for me to acclimatise to it, just like people in far hotter/more humid countries do. I'm currently gasping like a bronchially-challenged fish and wiping litres of sweat off my head/arse/chair/floor every few minutes (despite the fan & iced water), in the certain knowledge that a couple of weeks will see a plunge in temperatures and probably a ton of drizzly rain.

How/why the hell did any sane civilisations stay long enough in Britain to make it an actual 1st-world country? It has the most utterly stupid, crappy, inane climate of any place on earth. I can't blame global warming - it's apparently been just as retarded for the whole of recorded history thanks to eternally-battling weather systems, and still people actually CHOSE to stay here and build cities and stuff. WHY?!

I understand your feelings, but a lot of countries with better  climates than the British Isles also have disease, wild animals, earthquakes, mudslides, devastating floods, killing droughts and forest fires.

And as for Australia, where so many want to go:-

https://youtu.be/kdihHnaOQsk

10 minutes ago, artdjones said:

I understand your feelings, but a lot of countries with better  climates than the British Isles also have disease, wild animals, earthquakes, mudslides, devastating floods, killing droughts and forest fires.

And as for Australia, where so many want to go:-

https://youtu.be/kdihHnaOQsk

I never need to set foot in Australia. All the YouTube vids seem to show is flora and fauna that wants to kill you or is huge and scary.