The grumpy thread

outlaw118

4 hours ago, artdjones said:

The US is 50 countries federated together, lots of things are left to the individual states. 

The motorcycle helmet laws in the U S of Arse being another example. 

Only 19 states are compulsory, others are age related, varying ages and 2 don't have any helmet law at all ...

3 hours ago, Wack said:

So not that united then 

I've no real interest in America so have been educated today 

Indeed they're aren't really- just united through 1 umbrella Federal administration and that's just about it.

4 minutes ago, Wack said:

another nutter with a gun in the US, 6 dead many injured, seems to be a weekly occurrence, not caught him yet

2069044688_Screenshot2022-07-04at21-48-06SixdeadaftergunmanopensfireonFourthofJulyparadefromrooftop-suspectstillatlarge.thumb.png.780432a182f27a4c762f79020ace2cf3.png

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/six-dead-after-gunman-opens-fire-on-fourth-of-july-parade-from-rooftop-suspect-still-at-large/ar-AAZbHgA?li=BBoPWjQ

We have had 2 in Scandinavia recently also this is the new normal. And we have strict gun control.

8 hours ago, High Jetter said:

Not that strict, obs

If you have the right contacts most things can probably be obtained on the black market. As if you had the right contacts you could probably nuke the neighbor's cat for shiting in your flower bed as an example.

But the main problem with everything that is happening now is not firearms but what the hell has gone wrong with people to do these things. Even in little Norway, disturbing things happen almost daily now that is scary and this should get more attention and try to find out what has gone wrong in people's heads.

This pisses me off more than it probably should.

I received an email from South East Water this morning - 'Your payment plan has been updated'.

Cool, second time they've done that with no warning. However; it's not what you think!

Capture.thumb.JPG.a7bf8548bdfc618adb958eabb047c331.JPG

So, I was previously paying £36 a month, as this was just over my estimated usage and I didn't want to find myself in a situation where they took a reading and I found myself receiving a bill that put me in debt. However, their automated system sees my credit (presumably) and is hell bent on adjusting my payment (without asking me first!!!) to a value much lower than my usage in order to reduce my credit.

Why?! I bet if I leave it, then it will cross over in to debit and I'll get a snotty request to settle my account urgently (shout out to EDF who took 3 goes to set up a direct debit after taking over our account, not sending a bill despite us chasing, then issuing a bill to the tune of £500-600 with a notice that they'd be turning the power and gas off if it wasn't settled within 7 days) so why can't they just leave it the fuck alone, or at least ask me if I want to fuck around with the payment amount?

I've changed it back to the same amount as before, just like last time. Really pisses me off though 😅

On 7/4/2022 at 9:09 PM, Urko said:

Trivia - first MOT in Norn Iron is at 4 years - Eng Scot and Wales it's 3.

That's true.

On 7/5/2022 at 8:52 AM, Rocket88 said:

Jersey are in the throes of introducing an MOT test…… but as they only have one establishment capable of doing the test, and a population of 100,000, Gawd knows how that’s going to work……

Northern Ireland has 15 vehicle test centres, for a population of 1.9 million people.

I received a letter last Thursday advising that the MOT on the Corolla was coming due in August, and strongly recommending that I book a test now "to ensure you get an appointment slot before the current certificate expires".

The earliest date I could get, anywhere, is... 18th November.

And no - you can't book a test earlier than 6 weeks before expiry.

At present, there's an unofficial policy over here of police and insurers taking a 'pragmatic approach' to cars driving without a valid MOT - it's ok as long as you have a test booked, and the car's otherwise not obviously unroadworthy.

There's rumblings about moving to a two-year testing regime, as it appears that the backlog is unclearable - and with new car registrations down due supply problems, the number of cars needing a test just keeps going up and up as used cars are brought over from GB to plug the gap.

So - that might give an indication of how a Jersey system of that nature might work. Poorly.

Just took the dishwasher salt out to top it up in the machine...bag is a bag of slush...

IMG_20220705_142744.thumb.jpg.040b28dca406153ef382e794b9f11b03.jpg

Back of the cupboard is sopping wet and there's a puddle underneath it.

I'm really fucking done with this house.  Odds on it being one of the half dozen push fit fittings underneath the cupboard floor that's leaking?

9 hours ago, Rust Collector said:

Fucking wankers

Capture2.thumb.JPG.9b90fa3dc322366078666c8101e37813.JPG

The slider is locked so that I can't put it back to what I used to pay.

Also, they say themselves that the payment should not be under my usage. Why the fuck did they change it to £22 themselves then?!

Because EDF are complete fuckturds, they won't answer the phone , the WhatsApp group won't call me , they won't message the billing or collections department and now they won't accept that I am a main supporter for my elderly neighbour, even though they said I was 6 months ago and they send all bills to my email address but their website won't accept the meter readings and want me to phone them even though they never answer the phone.... And repeat every month this whole fkin palaver.... 

Yesterday yet again they told me to apply for a smart meter ...it's not my account...and three times they have said in the past that we are not eligible for a smart meter .... But couldn't tell me why 😡😡😡😡

Fkin fuckturds...

Any recommendations 🤔🤔🤔

46 minutes ago, mitsisigma01 said:

Also, they say themselves that the payment should not be under my usage. Why the fuck did they change it to £22 themselves then?!

I've had this with a water supply company massively underestimating the monthly DD for my businesses (which consume a lot of water). Simplest solution is to set up a standing order to 'top-up' the DD level they choose, so you pay what you want each month.

On 04/07/2022 at 19:40, Dead_E23 said:

The junction for the M62 from the A1 at Castleford is like that, as is the entrance to the M6 Toll from the M6 westbound.

M5 onto M42 in Bromsgrove- come off M5 on left hand slip then join M42 from the right

I buy firewood from a hipster furniture manufacturing place. Normally in summer they have more wood than people want and the price drops. I've been watching and last week it went from £10 a bag to 2 for £15, so close to my target of £5.

Just checked tonight and it's now £15 a bag. You're going the wrong bloody way. Stupid bloke in charge will have decided gas is going up so his wood should go up as well. Same man is constantly trying to sell cycling shoes worn once for £400. Don't think he lives in the real world.

Question is do I wait and hope its coming out his ears and the price goes down, or buy before he decides his artisan* waste is worth £30? 

5 hours ago, mitsisigma01 said:

Any recommendations 🤔🤔🤔

Don't change to OVO - we were with SSE before OVO took them over. OVO sent us 2 final reminders without sending any bills. The bloke (lets call him Gupty) couldn't get his head round why we didn't pay, even after explaining upteen times we didn't know how much we had to pay. Ersholes.

9 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Just took the dishwasher salt out to top it up in the machine...bag is a bag of slush...

IMG_20220705_142744.thumb.jpg.040b28dca406153ef382e794b9f11b03.jpg

Back of the cupboard is sopping wet and there's a puddle underneath it.

I'm really fucking done with this house.  Odds on it being one of the half dozen push fit fittings underneath the cupboard floor that's leaking?

I was lucky this time.  Eventually traced it to this connection.

1667491960_IMG_20220705_1929162.thumb.jpg.a6a33a13c32e96e9092a909d91fdf785.jpg

Which was barely finger tight.  That's the water supply to the dishwasher...which was installed by a so called professional seven years ago.  So could have been leaking for absolutely ages and I've only just noticed it.

If you want a job done properly do it yourself.

To be fair I'd love to rip every single bit of plumbing under there out and start over as it's a complete shit show and makes my skin crawl.

7 minutes ago, Pieman said:

Having seen all the problems you've had, who the hell built your house?  Fred fucking Flintstone?

This bit dates to the previous owner.  She was an interior designer.  Who had some very fancy looking but stupid ideas implemented by the lowest bidder.

That and a similar approach to maintenance are responsible for at least 90% of the issues we've found.

11 hours ago, cobblers said:

Get a load of this then, for our well insulated house with two people living in it. Most of the heating in winter is done by log fire.

image.thumb.png.1e5fef9869b1ac101eb87d79eeb2c49c.png

Their own calculator says our payments should be £167 a month and we're many hundreds of quid in credit.

You can't use your log fire as Octopus says log out. 😄

Replaced daughter's fill valve last week, ten minute job that took two days as the leak was erosion of the ceramic in the cistern.

A few days later she says it is leaking but not much.

Went to fix it and it isn't leaking at all, but the pan to wastepipe is.

Removed the pan and the rubber seal is distorted and cracking, loads of rusty nails, haigrips and assorted debris in there.

Bought a new pan to pip connector to get the seal out and change.  Different design, no chance of that fitting so a new wastepipe obtained and fitted.  Great, no leaks.

But of course the bolts holding the pan to the concrete floor sheared off.  Next job redrill the floor for new bolts.

That won't be the end of it of course as one repair always creates three more.

Only upside was I had bought a new pair of steps from Screwfix that were too big, couldn't stand them up in a room.  Swapped for a slightly smaller pair and £38 back into my Screwfix account.

Of course, there may be a further problem there as I discovered that I have two Screwfix accounts.  No idea how that happened.

Also have scraping on the rear nearside brake.  Booked in for MOT on the 18th. Will be a new disc at least but likely a caliper too.

On 7/2/2022 at 10:43 AM, RoverFolkUs said:

After 2 and a half years of narrowly dodging it, Covid has finally reared its ugly head in my household :(

I'm negative so far, and the affected person only has very mild symptoms but we'll see how things pan out 

Fuck sake :(

And that's me positive this afternoon :(

Negative yesterday eve, felt fine this morning, started feeling a bit rough after lunch and now I feel totally fucked. Aches all over, fatigued, sore throat, banging headache. Not fun 

On the plus side paracetamol seems to be making some effect 

Oh well, good excuse for a few days off I suppose 

4 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

And that's me positive this afternoon :(

Negative yesterday eve, felt fine this morning, started feeling a bit rough after lunch and now I feel totally fucked. Aches all over, fatigued, sore throat, banging headache. Not fun 

On the plus side paracetamol seems to be making some effect 

Oh well, good excuse for a few days off I suppose 

Take it easy and get well soon.

20 hours ago, DavieW said:

Don't change to OVO - we were with SSE before OVO took them over. OVO sent us 2 final reminders without sending any bills. The bloke (lets call him Gupty) couldn't get his head round why we didn't pay, even after explaining upteen times we didn't know how much we had to pay. Ersholes.

Just had the same from eon next,

Replaced the Octavia as a daily about 6 weeks ago (it's for sale, if you hadn't heard).

Bought a 2017 BMW 320d to replace it. Serious coin, but it's family transport, we do a lot of mega journeys and I've worked my way up the doctoring scale.

Bought from a CarShop warehouse. It was cheap and had the right spec with FSH.

Aside from missing trim, a blown fuse and a dead indicator repeater, we've noticed that on long runs (after 45 mins) the steering wheel starts to pulse. Not speed, throttle, steering angle or anything else sensitive. Will sit doing it at idle. Feels like something to do with the 'speed sensitive power steering'.

I took it back to CarShop under warranty. Their workshop said "we sent it for a four wheel alignment and now it's fixed".

image.png.2b5d6e4b10f7bd419a23d1ed2f6bb371.png