The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Can noisy inconsiderate neighbours just fuck off to the nearest desert island :(

Nobody wants to hear your non stop gangsta music, with TikTok music thrown in, at MAXIMUM volume

I get that it's a reasonable time to enjoy your music, but is there really a need to blast it out? 

They're two fucking adults with three children under the age of 5. And they're behaving like feral teenagers. Couple that with the constant shouting and smoking of various substances outside other people's windows it's really beginning to get irritating.

The worst thing about it is that 50% of flats in the building have people who do night shifts, so quietly enjoying your music is not much to ask for. No need to blast it out

Neighbor opposite (not even in the same building) sent me a text asking what all the noise was about! It's that bad

Its really annoyed me as I deliberately didn't put the washing machine on at 11:30pm last night so as not to disturb them, and they've gone and done this without any consideration. 

Why do people have to be such cunts? 

Another flat has a teenager who blares out music sometimes, whilst annoying, to be fair I can forgive them slightly as that's the teenage way. But we're talking about grown adults here :(

8 hours ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

Knew that asking for help not to buy more cars here is like asking a drug dealer how to stop using drugs.

And do not know there are problems as always, the biggest is that it has not been on the road in 4-5 years and that it is 4 hours drive away. And the timing belt makes me not want to drive it home. I also do not have a drivers license to tow a large trailer either and a-frame towing is not legal here which is a shame as  a-framing a Renault 19 home with a Hyundai i10 over Norwegian mountains for 4 hours would be interesting.

Paging @worldofceri to the beige courtesy phone!

Ah........... 😁😉

22 hours ago, mat_the_cat said:

We have a holiday let which we rent out via Airbnb. Nice cottage, with plenty of space around it for dogs to exercise. Got there for a changeover, to find 4 (very obvious) piles of dog shit they haven't bothered to clean up. Plus the bathroom bin was full of used sanitary towels (no bag), which blew all over the garden while I was taking them to the main bin. Worse still, they've already booked for a repeat week!

Then to compound things, the couple who were arriving later that afternoon sent us a message at 10:30. Bearing in mind we clearly state a 4pm check-in time, the message stated that they were setting off now, and so expected to be there earlier, around 2-3pm. And they'd tested positive for Covid 2 days ago; were there any special precautions we'd like them to take?

Yes, how about staying away!

There are reviews of guest for that website. leave them a truthful negative one. Do not the website say anything about Virus protocols theses days? They were full of it earlier. I understand that the website does not like the owner making cancellations. Is that correct?

I hate that website so much I cannot even write it's name.

1 hour ago, Remspoor said:

I understand that the website does not like the owner making cancellations. Is that correct?

Their policy is that guests shouldn't travel if testing positive, but nowhere did it state where we stood if we cancelled the booking. Potentially we'd be fined, unable to have anyone else in for those dates, and lose the Superhost status. Phoned them up and was told that they can have a refund if they supply proof of the positive test, which is not what I wanted to hear! I asked if we would be penalised and they said they needed to escalate the query.

6 hours later, and half an hour before they were due to arrive, Airbnb messaged to say that if we got in touch with our local health department, they would be able to advise, or we could host them at our own risk. Decided on the latter, worried about being penalised. So now we're having to have a mammoth cleaning session when they leave, otherwise it's hardly fair on the next guests. There's disinfectant 'bombs' which can do a whole room, so have ordered a pack of those.

10 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Can noisy inconsiderate neighbours just fuck off to the nearest desert island :(

Nobody wants to hear your non stop gangsta music, with TikTok music thrown in, at MAXIMUM volume

I get that it's a reasonable time to enjoy your music, but is there really a need to blast it out? 

They're two fucking adults with three children under the age of 5. And they're behaving like feral teenagers. Couple that with the constant shouting and smoking of various substances outside other people's windows it's really beginning to get irritating.

The worst thing about it is that 50% of flats in the building have people who do night shifts, so quietly enjoying your music is not much to ask for. No need to blast it out

Neighbor opposite (not even in the same building) sent me a text asking what all the noise was about! It's that bad

Its really annoyed me as I deliberately didn't put the washing machine on at 11:30pm last night so as not to disturb them, and they've gone and done this without any consideration. 

Why do people have to be such cunts? 

Another flat has a teenager who blares out music sometimes, whilst annoying, to be fair I can forgive them slightly as that's the teenage way. But we're talking about grown adults here :(

Because it's there place now & they can do what they want init!

Get an ozone generator, kills bacteria and viruses. Portable ones not expensive but don’t expose yourself to it. Ozone reverts to oxygen after two or three hours. 
We use them for this purpose and also for deodorising smoke damage. Good for all sorts of odour and bacterial problems but must be used with caution as will cause respiratory problems if used incorrectly.

So, I finally owned up to buying the 100 today (yes, it’s been sat on the drive for a few days now).

As I wasn’t planning on bringing it home, I told my mrs ‘I have a car to move’ when I went to collect it. Then due to Murphy’s law I’ve ended up bringing it home and leaving it on the trailer (if it doesn’t touch the ground, I don’t have to own up to owning it, right?). Obviously, I have been doing everything asked of me by my partner whilst it is out there in order to keep things sweet and avoid questions until I can shift it 😅 

Today I wanted to play cars, but she fancied a trip to the beach. No bother, whilst I don’t like the beach it’s only down the road, and I can take beers to pass the time. Keeping her happy is the name of the game until I think of a way to own up to my bad decisions.

I’m an idiot and I often forget to use sun lotion. Last weekend I got burnt like a bastard on my shoulders and I’ve been uncomfortable all week. Before we left I asked if she had packed the sun lotion. ‘Yes, it’s in the bag’. We go to the beach. First call of action for me, sun lotion as I don’t want to get burnt again… yeah, the sun lotion isn’t in the bag. My dearly beloved forgot to pack it (‘yes, it’s in the bag!). I’m not happy but I don’t complain. A little while later, I’m asked out of the blue ‘when are you going to own up to owning that Audi?’ 😳 oh dear. I fessed up, told the story of the ancient advert etc., she wasn’t angry (we have enough cars that it’s obvious I had a problem already) but she did chirpily mention that we’d now be staying at the beach as long as she liked.

Now, I’m definite that she didn’t deliberately leave the sun lotion at home, it was an honest mistake. However, karma is a bitch, because I’m burnt to fuck and she’s absolutely fine!

here’s to another week of discomfort then…

11 hours ago, mat_the_cat said:

Their policy is that guests shouldn't travel if testing positive, but nowhere did it state where we stood if we cancelled the booking. Potentially we'd be fined, unable to have anyone else in for those dates, and lose the Superhost status. Phoned them up and was told that they can have a refund if they supply proof of the positive test, which is not what I wanted to hear! I asked if we would be penalised and they said they needed to escalate the query.

6 hours later, and half an hour before they were due to arrive, Airbnb messaged to say that if we got in touch with our local health department, they would be able to advise, or we could host them at our own risk. Decided on the latter, worried about being penalised. So now we're having to have a mammoth cleaning session when they leave, otherwise it's hardly fair on the next guests. There's disinfectant 'bombs' which can do a whole room, so have ordered a pack of those.

That makes my run in with the website (as a guest) as very trivial. They are seriously messed up.

These disinfectant bombs can be harmful to your health too. I hope you have enough time  between these leaving and the next ones....Good luck

On 6/17/2022 at 8:14 PM, Dyslexic Viking said:

I regularly struggle with wanting to save cars and the current one is this.Galleribilde

It does not get better that this is a diesel something I like a lot and that they are almost extinct here. It is also cheap and is 30 years old next year so will be cheap to own. Can we possibly create a support group here? Because I need help.

Turbo diesel?

9 hours ago, Rust Collector said:

So, I finally owned up to buying the 100 today (yes, it’s been sat on the drive for a few days now).

As I wasn’t planning on bringing it home, I told my mrs ‘I have a car to move’ when I went to collect it. Then due to Murphy’s law I’ve ended up bringing it home and leaving it on the trailer (if it doesn’t touch the ground, I don’t have to own up to owning it, right?). Obviously, I have been doing everything asked of me by my partner whilst it is out there in order to keep things sweet and avoid questions until I can shift it 😅 

Today I wanted to play cars, but she fancied a trip to the beach. No bother, whilst I don’t like the beach it’s only down the road, and I can take beers to pass the time. Keeping her happy is the name of the game until I think of a way to own up to my bad decisions.

I’m an idiot and I often forget to use sun lotion. Last weekend I got burnt like a bastard on my shoulders and I’ve been uncomfortable all week. Before we left I asked if she had packed the sun lotion. ‘Yes, it’s in the bag’. We go to the beach. First call of action for me, sun lotion as I don’t want to get burnt again… yeah, the sun lotion isn’t in the bag. My dearly beloved forgot to pack it (‘yes, it’s in the bag!). I’m not happy but I don’t complain. A little while later, I’m asked out of the blue ‘when are you going to own up to owning that Audi?’ 😳 oh dear. I fessed up, told the story of the ancient advert etc., she wasn’t angry (we have enough cars that it’s obvious I had a problem already) but she did chirpily mention that we’d now be staying at the beach as long as she liked.

Now, I’m definite that she didn’t deliberately leave the sun lotion at home, it was an honest mistake. However, karma is a bitch, because I’m burnt to fuck and she’s absolutely fine!

here’s to another week of discomfort then…

Your wife is a clever lady 😄

13 minutes ago, Lacquer Peel said:

It's a good engine. We have its 1.6 litre predecessor in a Renault Express van. 

IMG_20220524_200228573_HDR.jpg

The fact that it is a diesel is one of the main reasons I want it as I like simple old diesel engines. And these are good engines as you say it also contributes a lot to wanting it. So I want it the problem is just getting it home. I guess it's been a long time since the timing belt was replaced and that's the biggest thing that stops me from trying to drive it home as I do not want to risk destroying the engine.

8 minutes ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

The fact that it is a diesel is one of the main reasons I want it as I like simple old diesel engines. And these are good engines as you say it also contributes a lot to wanting it. So I want it the problem is just getting it home. I guess it's been a long time since the timing belt was replaced and that's the biggest thing that stops me from trying to drive it home as I do not want to risk destroying the engine.

It looks like an easy belt to do, there is lots of space around the timing end unlike many fwd cars. 

6 minutes ago, Lacquer Peel said:

It looks like an easy belt to do, there is lots of space around the timing end unlike many fwd cars. 

Yes, they are probably simple for those who can. I have tried in the past to change timing belts and I have always messed it up so it is a job I do not do myself unfortunately.

13 hours ago, omegod said:

Today i was this many days old when I discovered that 6ft 2" does not fit into a roofed MX5 without risk of concussion when driving over a crisp bag, this has made me very very sad   

I've heard of taller people fitting different seat runners to MX-5s to lower the seat.

Not that I have any first-hand experience, being 5ft 6" myself!

On 19/06/2022 at 10:29, Dyslexic Viking said:

Yes, they are probably simple for those who can. I have tried in the past to change timing belts and I have always messed it up so it is a job I do not do myself unfortunately.

Yes, but have you bought it yet?

I would love to try a diesel 19.  

1 hour ago, loserone said:

Yes, but have you bought it yet?

I would love to try a diesel 19.  

No I do not unfortunately. I'm struggling to find a way to get it home. Talked to Dad today and he does not understand why I need another car and understands even less of what I'm going to do with that old Renault. So I wonder if I have to let this pass also something that is a bit annoying as i will probably not get the chance to buy a diesel 19 again. 

But I am considering contacting the seller and asking if he can let me know if he is unable to sell the car and wants to scrap it something I think is a big chance  will happen.

21 minutes ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

So I wonder if I have to let this pass also something that is a bit annoying as i will probably not get the chance to buy a diesel 19 again. 

This is what's troubling me at the moment. I have this nagging thought that each time I see something old and cheap it will be the last chance I have to own one before prices get silly/they become even rarer. I find it best not to look anywhere that I might see adverts these days 😅