The grumpy thread

outlaw118

1 hour ago, gm said:

now remember, kids, always wear the PPE

running shorts are not PPE !

AD8AF011-25C6-4749-B6E6-321A9578721F.thumb.jpeg.6bd1817ef60820f84d7e4babed7da221.jpeg

fuck - that was close !

E7DBCD5B-BA45-43E0-A601-172E90098E76.thumb.jpeg.58243ddec33aaed39d2fa6b1ef1c99c6.jpeg

I hate knot wheels. They give me the absolute fear.  Second only to spring compressors on my list of tools I hate using. I've been considering adding a grinder with a paddle switch to my toolkit...think you've convinced me!🤣

2 hours ago, gm said:

now remember, kids, always wear the PPE

running shorts are not PPE !

AD8AF011-25C6-4749-B6E6-321A9578721F.thumb.jpeg.6bd1817ef60820f84d7e4babed7da221.jpeg

fuck - that was close !

E7DBCD5B-BA45-43E0-A601-172E90098E76.thumb.jpeg.58243ddec33aaed39d2fa6b1ef1c99c6.jpeg

Very lucky indeed, femoral artery etc

I remember one of the first things I was taught about using abrasive wheels was the importance of keeping it away from below the waist in particular due to that artery! Among others, of course 

4 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Just about back up to a usable amount of energy.  Figure I might get a little catching up done later in the week.

Screenshot_20220614_230550.thumb.jpg.b232ff66fd6245a22831bffd5079e1cd.jpg

Nope... I'll be hiding in one of the rooms with air conditioning then.  Blarg.

the hot weather has clearly been too much for the 20W Philips SL-E in my room pendant which has just shat its filter cap

image.thumb.png.4713aede2601b702bddabd9984ec78c7.png

flickered a few times then went to half brightness, upon  spotting the liquid gunk on the bottom of the glass I thought ah ha and pointed a Camera at it, which confirmed my suspensions, its a HF lamp those 50Hz scan-lines should not be there! so Im pretty positive the main DC smoothing electrolytic capacitor has just blown its load all over the insides of the lamp LOL

image.thumb.png.ae95ad7cf86737389fd2dd41ffb00005.png

its been installed since the 17th of the 1st 2021, and run 24/7, it managed 13140 hours, which to be fair its only rated for 10K hours, but I still expected better from a quality Polish made philips lamp

I mean, well the tube its self is still perfectly good, and shows minimal electrode wear, its just let down by the electronic ballast which goes to show is why I dont like electronic ballasts

its been replaced with another pinched from another location in the house hold, lets see how it holds up!

honestly give me a proper magnetically ballast Philips SL lamp from the 80's or 90's any day of the week! very temped to nab some off ebay, but id feel bad about using up a vintage lamp LOL

15 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

the hot weather has clearly too much for the 20W Philips SL-E in my room pendant which has just shat its filter cap

image.thumb.png.4713aede2601b702bddabd9984ec78c7.png

flickered a few times then went to half brightness, upon  spotting the liquid gunk on the bottom of the glass I thought ah ha and pointed a Camera at it, which confirmed my suspensions, its a HF lamp those 50Hz scan-lines should not be there! so Im pretty positive the main DC smooth electrolytic capacitor has just blown its load all over the insides of the lamp LOL

image.thumb.png.ae95ad7cf86737389fd2dd41ffb00005.png

its been installed since the 17th of the 1st 2021, and run 24/7, it managed 13140 hours, which to be fair its only rated for 10K hours, but I still expected better from a quality Polish made philips lamp

I mean well the tube its self is still perfectly good, and shows minimal electrode wear, its  just let down by the electronic ballast which goes to show is why I dont like electronic ballasts

its been replaced with another pinched from another location in the house hold 

give me a proper magnetically ballast Philips SL lamp from the 80's or 90's any day of the week! very temped to nab some off ebay, but id feel bad about using up a vintage lamp LOL

The knowledge of some people here is fantastic. 

Light bulbs. Who knew they could be interesting. Off to watch more Bigclive on YT. 

Work. Spending 5 hours in the back of the ambulance with a racist abusive 80 year old.  Absolutely draining. He'll get a lovely warning on his address now, elderly or not I've lost my tolerance for it. 

FB_IMG_1655247835039.thumb.jpg.ea0d9374ed611daa2f6493460636db5a.jpg

Finished late, but I got a beautiful sunrise over the peaks, almost like karma, some good had to come of this. 

20220615_033416.thumb.jpg.d83894facd1c2e47d98b7bac970392c4.jpg

The Dark Peaks are wonderful this time of year 😌

18 hours ago, cobblers said:

Business centre still getting arsey about me having my vans parked here. They're all used regularly, all commercial vehicles and 2 of the 3 are owned by my company. I'm always at work well before anyone and leave after everyone else so to the part timers from the council it looks like my stuff never leaves. I rent two units and have a max of 2 vehicles parked outside overnight, with 5 in total in the day including my staff

There's a delivery company with one unit who have 30+ vans parked overnight and 30+ staff cars here all day and somehow I'm the problem? 

The next time they give me grief I think I'll struggle to be as polite as I usually am

Impromptu AS worst in your possession car meet required methinks....... all with speedo/dial issues needing your expertise assessment and repair over the coming week(s) - obviously rendered immobile in the meantime.....

4 hours ago, Spurious said:

Work. Spending 5 hours in the back of the ambulance with a racist abusive 80 year old.  Absolutely draining. He'll get a lovely warning on his address now, elderly or not I've lost my tolerance for it. 

Finished late, but I got a beautiful sunrise over the peaks, almost like karma, some good had to come of this. 

Excellent views like that will reset your opinion on the world......

Sad react as no matter how bigoted or racist - you're being helped FFS so keep your fucked up shitheaded views to yourself. The old cunt was probably on the doorstep applauding the health workers during the pandemic too - fuck him

10 hours ago, motorpunk said:

I was reading about the end of the governments EV subsidy. They said half a million cars had been bought with the subsidy which was typically £2500.  Why am I grumpy? Because that’s £1.25 billion of U.K. taxpayers money mostly gone to support overseas car production with very little economic value to the U.K. and when the environmental issues are global.  U.K. car stink is something like (IIRC) 0.05% of global emissions. Waste of money on a colossal scale for naff-all environmental benefit. 

Subsidies for the already well off, cheers aye. 

6 hours ago, Spurious said:

FB_IMG_1655247835039.thumb.jpg.ea0d9374ed611daa2f6493460636db5a.jpg

20220615_033416.thumb.jpg.d83894facd1c2e47d98b7bac970392c4.jpg

Can't say I miss this job mate, good on you for sticking with it. I was so stressed out after 10 years I had to leave 

13 hours ago, Rust Collector said:

Bollocks. I reckon I'm going to be sent a souvenir photo for my trip to the shops earlier - 45-46mph on a section of 40mph dual carriageway in Eastbourne. Didn't spot the camera van until last minute as the car I was passing obscured it along the straight. Why is it always the bloody Insight that I manage to go through speed traps in!! Should be slow enough to keep me out of trouble 😅

You shouldn't hear anything because legally( I think) you are allowed 10% +2 mph this is the case in most counties however I believe that some counties, Lancashire is one you are allowed 10%+3 mph, If you get a letter, double check what I have said and then tell your force this

5 minutes ago, J W Pepper said:

You shouldn't hear anything because legally( I think) you are allowed 10% +2 mph this is the case in most counties however I believe that some counties, Lancashire is one you are allowed 10%+3 mph, If you get a letter, double check what I have said and then tell your force this

Legally that has no basis but in practice it is the policy of many/most/possibly all forces.

If a force did want to do you for 42mph in a 40, they'd be perfectly allowed to. It's just not considered to be a sensible policy as it leaves too many avenues for protest open. The legal speed limit would be 40 - you're not legally allowed 46 as such. Just in practice you're incredibly unlikely to face prosecution for it.

11 minutes ago, J W Pepper said:

3 minutes ago, horriblemercedes said:

Legally that has no basis but in practice it is the policy of many/most/possibly all forces.

If a force did want to do you for 42mph in a 40, they'd be perfectly allowed to. It's just not considered to be a sensible policy as it leaves too many avenues for protest open. The legal speed limit would be 40 - you're not legally allowed 46 as such. Just in practice you're incredibly unlikely to face prosecution for it.

I don't think I'll count my chickens until I'm 14 days plus in the clear, but fingers crossed nothing comes of it. I could do without paying for a speed awareness course, and you can bet your bottom dollar the only available course will be during my holiday in July.

Just now, Rust Collector said:

I don't think I'll count my chickens until I'm 14 days plus in the clear, but fingers crossed nothing comes of it. I could do without paying for a speed awareness course, and you can bet your bottom dollar the only available course will be during my holiday in July.

Honestly, despite my post, I'd be incredibly surprised if you ever hear anything of it again. In practice, it just doesn't happen that anyone ever gets done for 45 (indicated) in a 40 from a fixed speed camera.

That's ignoring the fact that so many fixed cameras simply aren't operational any more. It was fixed, right? I can't remember the original post

1 minute ago, horriblemercedes said:

Honestly, despite my post, I'd be incredibly surprised if you ever hear anything of it again. In practice, it just doesn't happen that anyone ever gets done for 45 (indicated) in a 40 from a fixed speed camera.

That's ignoring the fact that so many fixed cameras simply aren't operational any more. It was fixed, right? I can't remember the original post

It wasn't a fixed camera, I've managed to avoid getting flashed by those thus far. It was one of the vans with the chap with a camera/radar poking out the rear hatch, they seem to be everywhere I go at the moment.

Just now, Rust Collector said:

It wasn't a fixed camera, I've managed to avoid getting flashed by those thus far. It was one of the vans with the chap with a camera/radar poking out the rear hatch, they seem to be everywhere I go at the moment.

Is the 45/46 from your speedometer?

I still think you're very unlikely to hear anything from them

9 minutes ago, horriblemercedes said:

Is the 45/46 from your speedometer?

I still think you're very unlikely to hear anything from them

It's even more protracted I'm afraid, as my speedometer is in km/h so I have to work everything back from there 😅 I think I was going 73km/h or thereabouts. I should have been doing 65. I seem to recall testing the Insight's speedometer against a GPS a while back and there wasn't anything notable in it in terms of over-reading.

3 hours ago, J W Pepper said:

This used to be the case to cover non-calibrated equipment - not sure that is the case with static devices anymore........ but they tend to give breathing space. The fact that most speedos read under by a margin in real terms means there's plenty of leeway tbh. *sorry over reading a little is the norm! DOH

Fingers crossed fella - it'll be all good

Co-op insurance in trying to be dodgy shock! Start of month they sent a renewal offer of £234, contact us to confirm if you want it. Go on then, only £20 increase on last year.

Letter just dropped, thanks for renewing we will take £262 on the 20th. Wha?????

Went on live chat, just need to confirm a few details, blah blah, it's showing as £274 on my system.

Chuffin eck! Is it index linked to the price of diesel?  Live chat assures me they've diddled it and it will be £234. Think I'll be checking banking on the day.

cars

XM has a whole degree of issues, but for the most part runs and drives fine.....drivers window doesn't work nor does blower fan so horrible in hot weather

C5 is fine, well, lost power today and had to abort an overtake but was fine straight afterwards

both these cars have cost me thousands

make me grump cos they could both be an absolute liability at any minute

sometimes i feel like sacking them both off and buying a brand new honda jazz

17 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Just about back up to a usable amount of energy.  Figure I might get a little catching up done later in the week.

Screenshot_20220614_230550.thumb.jpg.b232ff66fd6245a22831bffd5079e1cd.jpg

Nope... I'll be hiding in one of the rooms with air conditioning then.  Blarg.

Lucky you, I'm dahn sarf and I've been roofing since Monday , factor 30 reapplied 4 times a day , a bit fkin toasted , I'm there for at least another week ☹️ still could be worse , could be thunderstorms....I think they are due on Saturday 😭

On 11/06/2022 at 15:07, tooSavvy said:

Short update...

GOOD = most have now blown away (... plenty left!)

BAD = F.F.S! Usually shower with VentAxia going but, this morning, opened window instead.. Bad Move 😱

Give Me Strength

EfffiiinnElllllll 🎉🎉💓🥂

Given its given me a workout like Circuit Training... It was 'Us Vs Ants-on-Hoverboards' >> final encounter 😱

It aced the fuckkinn lot >> VooshhVoomBishBashBosh!

100% wood buy aginn.

My wife thought it was great, watching me clean up/sweat buckets.... However the major giggle fest occurred when [as I reversed in through the back door - repacked box at arm's length] the chrome door-handle hooked through my belt and I couldn't get in 🎱..... 🤣🤣

She laughed for a bit then helped unhook me.... She's a Keeper 💞

Yard now pill-free.... F.F.S.

IMG_20220615_185619.jpg

Not really a grump just an observation.

Today a car came in for MoT that had ran out in November. This is the state of one tyre

IMG_0167.JPG

Is it alright to drive asked the customer, yeah if it doesn't rain...

had to explain why tyres have tread.

That's an 18 month MoT so the proposed 2 year ones are bollocks

Tyres c

6 minutes ago, meggersdog said:

Not really a grump just an observation.

Today a car came in for MoT that had ran out in November. This is the state of one tyre

IMG_0167.JPG

Is it alright to drive asked the customer, yeah if it doesn't rain...

had to explain why tyres have tread.

That's an 18 month MoT so the proposed 2 year ones are bollocks

Tyres can be fiddled on any roadworthiness test, however long or short. A lady I know lent her wheels to the gypsies next door when she lived in Spain so they could get their car through the ITV.

11 minutes ago, artdjones said:

Tyres c

Tyres can be fiddled on any roadworthiness test, however long or short. A lady I know lent her wheels to the gypsies next door when she lived in Spain so they could get their car through the ITV.

Yeah I get that.It's also the reason I write down the make of tyre ,tread depth and size on my inspection sheet. This car was MoTed in November 2020 but it just shows the UK general public cannot be trusted to keep their cars in a roadworthy condition so the 2 year proposal to save money is stupid at best.

4 hours ago, jakebullet said:

Co-op insurance in trying to be dodgy shock! Start of month they sent a renewal offer of £234, contact us to confirm if you want it. Go on then, only £20 increase on last year.

Letter just dropped, thanks for renewing we will take £262 on the 20th. Wha?????

Went on live chat, just need to confirm a few details, blah blah, it's showing as £274 on my system.

Chuffin eck! Is it index linked to the price of diesel?  Live chat assures me they've diddled it and it will be £234. Think I'll be checking banking on the day.

At that point I'd be moving insurer.