The grumpy thread

outlaw118

16 hours ago, jamescarruthers said:

If you are lucky, the recruiter got binned and maybe someone else can help you at the recruitment agency? They are all snakes but some of the longer term ones have at least learnt to be human— the children they often employ who try to sound like they know anything about the actual job are uncaring and often fired pretty quickly anyway. It would be nice to get some “closure”!

No agency, internal recruitment. Applied directly on their website. I've lost all contact with them, the only thing I could do is ask my mate that works at their Warwick office if he could chase it up for me. 

5 hours ago, richardmorris said:

If you’re in Manchester have you tried any of the universities? They rarely seem to get rid of staff, just move them around.

It's worth a shot, someone I know suggested applying for a job at MMU, alas I couldn't find anything I was qualified for on their careers portal despite her telling me there were administrative positions available. 

On 05/06/2022 at 20:04, Timewaster said:

Trotters van from Only Horses and Idiots?

A bit late here but missed most of the Jubilee stuff over the weekend , but just seen Rod Stewart on You tube. Baby Jane was bad although I assume he wasn’t miming it, but Sweet Caroline??? I’ve heard a thousand better karaoke versions. 
Surely Neil Diamond wouldn’t have cost more than Rod?

4 hours ago, Metal Guru said:

A bit late here but missed most of the Jubilee stuff over the weekend , but just seen Rod Stewart on You tube. Baby Jane was bad although I assume he wasn’t miming it, but Sweet Caroline??? I’ve heard a thousand better karaoke versions. 
Surely Neil Diamond wouldn’t have cost more than Rod?

He really is dreadful these days isn’t he, he sounds like he should be singing in a working men’s club on a Wednesday night after Open the Box. Someone, I don’t know who, should have got up and gone ‘Rod, Rod, come on I think you’ve had enough, you are embarrassing yourself...’

Anyway the moan for today is people who have played on GT3 too much and think they’re at the Nurburgring out on the road, it’s always inevitably a clapped out 150,000 mile 3 series with various addenda from eBay stuck to it, you know the kit if you like for this sort of thing, some M sport badges from Aliexpress, fake BBS Split Rims, those bits of coloured plastic that stick over the grill fins, some 3D numberplates and various stickers about ‘Because 3 Series’. Saw one the other week, kid you not he was weaving presumably a’la F1 to warm his tyres up. No roundabout is just a roundabout with these people it’s a fucking race they’re having with themselves. 

1 hour ago, sierraman said:

He really is dreadful these days isn’t he, he sounds like he should be singing in a working men’s club on a Wednesday night after Open the Box. Someone, I don’t know who, should have got up and gone ‘Rod, Rod, come on I think you’ve had enough, you are embarrassing yourself...’

Anyway the moan for today is people who have played on GT3 too much and think they’re at the Nurburgring out on the road, it’s always inevitably a clapped out 150,000 mile 3 series with various addenda from eBay stuck to it, you know the kit if you like for this sort of thing, some M sport badges from Aliexpress, fake BBS Split Rims, those bits of coloured plastic that stick over the grill fins, some 3D numberplates and various stickers about ‘Because 3 Series’. Saw one the other week, kid you not he was weaving presumably a’la F1 to warm his tyres up. No roundabout is just a roundabout with these people it’s a fucking race they’re having with themselves. 

I saw a similar fore  mentioned 3 series the other day , drifting round the roundabout outside our local Asda. TBF he was pretty good , just a stupid place to do it.

Back to Rod, surrounded by backing singers/ dancers  1/3 or even 1/4 of his age, looked like Benny Hill.

33 minutes ago, Metal Guru said:

I saw a similar fore  mentioned 3 series the other day , drifting round the roundabout outside our local Asda. TBF he was pretty good , just a stupid place to do it.

Back to Rod, surrounded by backing singers/ dancers  1/3 or even 1/4 of his age, looked like Benny Hill.

It’s the road though isn’t it, at some point they’re going to run out of the fuck all skill they’ve got and injure someone. If they want to get the arse end out on the BMW then go to the track day and get absolutely hammered by someone with a proper sportscar or have an expensive ‘big off’ into the Armco at Nurburgring. 

AA, RAC etc... 

After years, decades in fact, of being with one or the other their prices were getting stupid. Started looking around and  a lot of companies won't even cover cars more than 16 years old which is ridiculous, who has cars that new? Did a bit of rummaging online and found a company called Start Rescue. 

They obviously don't have their own fleet, they subcontract to local recovery people. I wasn't sure if cheap was going to mean cheap and cheerful or cheap and nasty but the reviews seemed OK so I thought I'd risk it. 

Hadn't needed a call out for years until recently when the Felicia FTP'd twice in two weeks with the same fault but for different reasons. You use the app to report your breakdown which gives your location. Got a reply within two minutes saying they were arranging things, then within five minutes to say I would be visited by Ravenscroft Motors, who are a local firm with a good reputation, and they'd arrive within two hours. First time was just over an hour, second time about twenty minutes with a phone call a few minutes beforehand to let me know.

But best of all both arrived with vehicles fitted with a T bar and after coming to the same conclusion as me hooked it up and took it home for me. The worst thing about the big companies is they'll send a Transit out fairly quickly but when they can't fix it they then have to order another vehicle even though I specifically said it will need recovery in the original phone call. Especially with the Triumph, if I can't fix it neither can they, I carry a boot full of spares and tools. This is just so they can say they have met their target of arriving within a certain time. It once took another four hours after the visit if the first bloke for a recovery truck to arrive. 

Mate's mum's tidy early Corsa B (some of you may remember it from FOTU last year) was broken into at the weekend - they smashed the nearside rear door window.  I've found another one on eBay (mate doesn't do online auction sites) and ordered it on his behalf.  Just checked the order details and it's being delivered by fucking Hermes.

Chances of it arriving in less than 1,000 pieces?

19 hours ago, Timewaster said:

I've grumped about absolutely useless dealers before (still waiting for the outcome of the "sorry we don't know how to fix your air conditioning" saga).

My colleague has a 21plate Kia Sportage.

There have been knocks and bangs from the back recently and he rearranged the stuff in the boot several times to no avail.

It wasn't until someone he knew was following him, they said the exhaust was at a funny angle.

The dealer said a weld had failed and they had ordered a new exhaust, but.... It wouldn't arrive until September.

They said a hire car was available until then but it had a £1000 damage excess which he said was unacceptable.

After phone calls back and fourth all morning, I just asked the question "can't they weld it for now?"

He asked the dealer to weld it.

They reacted like he had asked them to perform a seance on it. They knew what it meant, but had no idea why it would help or how to do it!

2 days later he has his car back after complaining to Kia UK.

They presumably managed to find someone who could perform a 2” weld.

I wonder if it was JB?

14 hours ago, sheffcortinacentre said:

They prob couldn't find an app for welding it.

To be fair to main dealers, an exhaust bracket broke on my sister's Citroen. I told her to phone them, order one and I'd fit it for her.

They just told her to bring it in and they'd weld it. They did and didn't charge for it (car was out of warranty too)

26 minutes ago, horriblemercedes said:

To be fair to main dealers, an exhaust bracket broke on my sister's Citroen. I told her to phone them, order one and I'd fit it for her.

They just told her to bring it in and they'd weld it. They did and didn't charge for it (car was out of warranty too)

I’d have thought there would be little call for welding in a main dealers, in fact I’d be surprised they’d even got the welding tackle, given it takes a fair bit of practice as well to produce acceptable results on a car. 

6 minutes ago, sierraman said:

I’d have thought there would be little call for welding in a main dealers, in fact I’d be surprised they’d even got the welding tackle, given it takes a fair bit of practice as well to produce acceptable results on a car. 

I was very surprised too. I would've welded it but just didn't want to be blamed or have to do it again if it broke, which is why I told her to phone the dealership and get the bracket.

I'd have welded my own car but don't really want to do anything other than fit known-good and ideally self-sourced parts to my sister's car

Just had my car returned after several weeks with my brother and sister-in-law (not arranged - they needed a car suddenly and this is what I had to offer).

It has about half a tank of fuel in it. It was full minus the 2 miles from petrol station to home when they picked it up.

A full tank is around £180 at the moment, so let's say that that is £80 (needle is a sliver above half).

So apart from wear and tear for several thousand miles, it has cost me £80 in diesel. Brilliant.

I wouldn't mind, but I'm in the West Midlands, where they're from. They live in the north of Scotland. I didn't even know they were in the area until they were about to set off home, their Lexus shat itself and they suddenly needed my help. Otherwise, they wouldn't have even told me that they were in the area.

4 minutes ago, horriblemercedes said:

Just had my car returned after several weeks with my brother and sister-in-law (not arranged - they needed a car suddenly and this is what I had to offer).

It has about half a tank of fuel in it. It was full minus the 2 miles from petrol station to home when they picked it up.

A full tank is around £180 at the moment, so let's say that that is £80 (needle is a sliver above half).

So apart from wear and tear for several thousand miles, it has cost me £80 in diesel. Brilliant.

I wouldn't mind, but I'm in the West Midlands, where they're from. They live in the north of Scotland. I didn't even know they were in the area until they were about to set off home, their Lexus shat itself and they suddenly needed my help. Otherwise, they wouldn't have even told me that they were in the area.

I’d have to ask them why they thought it was your responsibility to fill the diesel up. 

I'm glad that my family would never take the piss to anywhere near that extent.

That, or they're familiar enough with the sort of scrap I tend to buy that the thought of borrowing a car from me fills them with terror.

Shit ! Looks like my laptop has gone tits up. When I switch it on all I get is a blue screen. On and off does bugger all. This is going to seriously affect the circus shite updates as I am useless on a phone. It doesn't help that I don't like them either which is why I am shit at using them. Anybody know if my laptop is totally fucking fucked mate or if there is a quick remedy ?

17 minutes ago, puddlethumper said:

Shit ! Looks like my laptop has gone tits up. When I switch it on all I get is a blue screen. On and off does bugger all. This is going to seriously affect the circus shite updates as I am useless on a phone. It doesn't help that I don't like them either which is why I am shit at using them. Anybody know if my laptop is totally fucking fucked mate or if there is a quick remedy ?

It depends on the laptop - and if you can get a boot CD/DVD/USB or not - I know Acers and Lenovo, some HP and IBM etc.... have a repair partition and can be forced to rebuild/repair..... You'd really need a tech bod to sit and see it hands on to make sure and find out the easiest way forward fella.....

20 minutes ago, Back_For_More said:

It depends on the laptop - and if you can get a boot CD/DVD/USB or not - I know Acers and Lenovo, some HP and IBM etc.... have a repair partition and can be forced to rebuild/repair..... You'd really need a tech bod to sit and see it hands on to make sure and find out the easiest way forward fella.....

Panic over for now. After sitting looking blue for at least half an hour it has decided to work. I hate not having my laptop even for half an hour. I start thinking it's buggered and I will have to use a phone which is not a happy thought.

1 hour ago, horriblemercedes said:

That really is how people are these days :(

I'd have made sure it's the other way, if it came to me empty it would be going back full! 

I bet they'd have fallen out with you if you said no in the first place... I hate entitled people

1 hour ago, RoverFolkUs said:

I bet they'd have fallen out with you if you said no in the first place... I hate entitled people

Agreed, but if they were near but hadn't been in prior contact, how 'in' where they in the first place? I'd have taken it back brimmed, valeted and with an appropriate gift according to their likes.

4 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Mate's mum's tidy early Corsa B (some of you may remember it from FOTU last year) was broken into at the weekend - they smashed the nearside rear door window.  I've found another one on eBay (mate doesn't do online auction sites) and ordered it on his behalf.  Just checked the order details and it's being delivered by fucking Hermes.

Chances of it arriving in less than 1,000 pieces?

At the right house? And them actually ringing the bdoor bell? 

50:50 

I not sure if entilied or not.

My parents, 85 and 84 live on Ynys Mon, as does one of my sisters who is single and 56. 

My other sister who it in her 60s, and lives in Ohio, is coming over next week for 2 weeks, first time in years, with my niece, niece's husband, and their 2 kids.

They have all already pissed me off.  

It's a long story. 

3 hours ago, Wack said:

it seems that Scotland, Wales, NI and London it's 60 for a free bus pass

England it's state pension age which for me is 67 , why is that ?

That's a bugger, I didn't know that. I was looking forward to some cheap days out in six years. That doesn't sound too far away. But 13 years does, no point daydreaming of days out to Salisbury and Winchester now. 

So if you are 60 in London or Wales or Scotland can you only use your free pass in those places or once you have a pass is the world (the rest of England anyway) your oyster or can you only use it where you live. 

2 hours ago, New POD said:

I not sure if entilied or not.

My parents, 85 and 84 live on Ynys Mon, as does one of my sisters who is single and 56. 

My other sister who it in her 60s, and lives in Ohio, is coming over next week for 2 weeks, first time in years, with my niece, niece's husband, and their 2 kids.

They have all already pissed me off.  

It's a long story. 

T'would be a shame if you had to go away sudden like for some reason then?