The grumpy thread

outlaw118

2 hours ago, vulgalour said:

Well, the seat diaphragm replacement is going well.  Hadn't even got the new one fully fitted and the glued seams are failing already.  Followed the instructions on the bottle and bought a glue that should be suitable for rubber and fabric.  Test samples were okay too.  But apparently the tension it's under when fitted overcomes the bond of the glue and it lets go.

Recommendations for a very strong glue or some way of bonding the fabric and rubber together (because you can't sew it as then it'll just tear) welcome.  The originals are done in a way that the fabric looks embedded in the rubber through either heat or an extra layer of rubber to bond everything together, but I've no idea how you'd do that at home.

Would small eyelets through all the joining layers not do the trick? Popping them through both and then having a strong cord type rigging to back it up too?

2 hours ago, Back_For_More said:

Would small eyelets through all the joining layers not do the trick? Popping them through both and then having a strong cord type rigging to back it up too?

It might, but I'm concerned that if I perforate the rubber I'll introduce a weak point and it may tear.

1 minute ago, High Jetter said:

I pulled in there just over a year ago. Not impressed, didn't buy anything. Shite location.

Yeah never been there myself. Couldn't actually see where the shop was!? (At a very quick glance only, admittedly) 

Usually Shell are my first choice. Most of them in Sussex that I've been to are pretty good. 

14 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Yeah never been there myself. Couldn't actually see where the shop was!? (At a very quick glance only, admittedly) 

Usually Shell are my first choice. Most of them in Sussex that I've been to are pretty good. 

the shell in our village got done for overcharging

28 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Shop at downhill (exit) end IIRC. Unpleasant staff, would not visit again.

'You can be sure of Shell', tho...

4 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

Shop at downhill (exit) end IIRC. Unpleasant staff, would not visit again.

'You can be sure of Shell', tho...

Ah yes, just looked on google maps, it's there, where you say. 

Though it's covered in VOSA MOT signs which made me think it was a workshop rather than a shop, especially at a quick glance!

Go abroad with friends, they said. It'll be fun, they said. First holiday abroad in 8 years and first proper holiday abroad without my folks.

Whoever they are, they didn't account for one of said friends completely losing control of a dodgy hired jetski, coming over the line into the swimming section of the beach and crashing straight into me in the process.

I'm fine, other than a sore shoulder, leg cramps from wild flailing to surface again, and a missing week old pair of prescription sunglasses. Fair play to the lad, he's absolutely mortified (and a bit bruised himself - I'm told while I was in the process of trying not to drown, he flew off rather spectacularly) and has offered to replace them when we're back in the UK, and the shoulder will heal. But come on, we'd maybe been in Turkey for 16 hours at this point, hopefully this will be the last of the near death experiences. Although we were on about hiring a car so maybe not!

Maybe this is Him upstairs' way of getting karma on me for the other week's shunt in London.

32 minutes ago, Markeh said:

Go abroad with friends, they said. It'll be fun, they said. First holiday abroad in 8 years and first proper holiday abroad without my folks.

Whoever they are, they didn't account for one of said friends completely losing control of a dodgy hired jetski, coming over the line into the swimming section of the beach and crashing straight into me in the process.

I'm fine, other than a sore shoulder, leg cramps from wild flailing to surface again, and a missing week old pair of prescription sunglasses. Fair play to the lad, he's absolutely mortified (and a bit bruised himself - I'm told while I was in the process of trying not to drown, he flew off rather spectacularly) and has offered to replace them when we're back in the UK, and the shoulder will heal. But come on, we'd maybe been in Turkey for 16 hours at this point, hopefully this will be the last of the near death experiences. Although we were on about hiring a car so maybe not!

Maybe this is Him upstairs' way of getting karma on me for the other week's shunt in London.

Might be safer to just stay at a bar for the rest of the trip 😂

12 minutes ago, Timewaster said:

I stopped reading your post after this point.

Something about electric cars causing cancer?

https://youtu.be/q3chJN9DCGg

I agree the daily mail do have a habit of using the same words in different articles and clump things together, I just think the technology isn't ready yet, and it would be better to develop more efficient engines.

22 minutes ago, J W Pepper said:

I agree the daily mail do have a habit of using the same words in different articles and clump things together, I just think the technology isn't ready yet, and it would be better to develop more efficient engines.

It is an emerging technology, look at how far we have come from the G-wizz to something like a Ionic5.

The next 10 years should see some amazing EVs. They could be mega efficient if they don't keep on building bloody huge things like Audi Q7s that no one needs and make something more like an A2.

Diesel engines have peaked imo, modern ones are saddled with fragile adblue and dpf systems. 

10 minutes ago, Timewaster said:

It is an emerging technology, look at how far we have come from the G-wizz to something like a Ionic5.

The next 10 years should see some amazing EVs. They could be mega efficient if they don't keep on building bloody huge things like Audi Q7s that no one needs and make something more like an A2.

Diesel engines have peaked imo, modern ones are saddled with fragile adblue and dpf systems. 

You make a good point regarding the G-wizz and how the ranges are increasing, but the charging times still need to be reduced to something convenient, and prices reduced to something affordable, but it is improving, and should get better in the next few years like you say. And you make another good point in making smaller cars rather than big cars

They need to make them bigger. Both sets of parents have an ev/hybrid and I'm forever helping collect things, do tip runs and etc with my estate. 

I make a point of telling them we'll cancel out all the environmental good they've done by owning their cars and flooring the shit out of the Xsara until it makes power clouds... 

Dad's ioniq is lovely though once acclimatised, if I could ever afford one/they survive well enough to become cheap enough that I could afford one I would