The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Since we moved house in October, our bins have been taken maybe 7 or 8 times. It's either covid, industrial action, snow or "no reason". I've just about given up bothering. Bottles go in the bottle bank at the pub next door, and I chuck the (tiny) wheelie bin in the back of the pickup every couple of weeks and tip the contents into the biffa bin at work.

25 minutes ago, PhilA said:

Found a $2 can of turtle wax bug remover in the back of the cupboard

20220519_074956.thumb.jpg.170e8ce4e1fdd98e708ae31812213170.jpg

Looks like snow, smells like aniseed

20220519_080526.thumb.jpg.bfa6f7db3510eaa769f88dfe9f5ed14d.jpg

Removes bugs, wax, top layer of paint

5 years ago I was on holiday in rural Alberta... in July.

Me and my mates stopped at a Walmart somewhere in buttfuck nowhere to pick up some spray cleaner and lots of paper towels, as the hire cars' wipers just wouldn't shift the increasing amounts of very large insects peppering the front of them.

I noticed a lot of locals running around with the plastic bug deflectors on the front of their vehicles.

29 minutes ago, cobblers said:

Since we moved house in October, our bins have been taken maybe 7 or 8 times. It's either covid, industrial action, snow or "no reason". I've just about given up bothering. Bottles go in the bottle bank at the pub next door, and I chuck the (tiny) wheelie bin in the back of the pickup every couple of weeks and tip the contents into the biffa bin at work.

"Sorry, I haven't been able to pay my council tax due to Covid/industrial action/snow/no reason" :D

1 hour ago, Supernaut said:

5 years ago I was on holiday in rural Alberta... in July.

Me and my mates stopped at a Walmart somewhere in buttfuck nowhere to pick up some spray cleaner and lots of paper towels, as the hire cars' wipers just wouldn't shift the increasing amounts of very large insects peppering the front of them.

I noticed a lot of locals running around with the plastic bug deflectors on the front of their vehicles.

window_scrubber.thumb.jpeg.be41195523d74b8b6bdd74ab2c9d7d66.jpeg

Gas station scrubbing tool. They're remarkably good.

19 hours ago, sheffcortinacentre said:

Don't forget they only do this "recycling" if it makes them a profit!

A friend of mine used to work at a place just off the M18, and their work carpark would often get used by lorries to park overnight. They have two big biffa bins, one for cardboard and the other general waste - generally kept inside but they were really crammed with deliveries one week so they got left outside.

A few weeks later they got an email from the waste company surcharging them £35(ish?) because the cardboard waste was contaminated, and they sent some pictures to prove - a half full cardboard bin had a bag of macds waste and some beer cans on top, presumably a couple of lorry drivers chucked bags of rubbish in the cardboard bin.

He sent them back CCTV videos of every waste collection for 6 months prior, showing every week both bins are collected at the same time and tipped into the same bloody truck!

The nhs training dept are adamant that I must drive 2 x 400 miles to participate in two lots of classroom training that are for staff who have face to face patient contact, moving and handling patients and some physical intervention bollocks. I dont have face to face contact with patients, its all done over the phone. It is utterly bonkers.

34 minutes ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

No it was previously on the forum and was sold out of the forum unfortunately.

Not really sure how I feel about it. It's not my car anymore but it's a shame. Its been roller painted too so probably looks shocking

12 minutes ago, Tommyboy12 said:

Not really sure how I feel about it. It's not my car anymore but it's a shame. Its been roller painted too so probably looks shocking

Yes it's a shame the car had a lot of character that is now gone. And it looks bad now and probably worse in reality. What I think about this I will keep to myself. But I was very surprised and disappointed that no one here bought the car so well liked it was. The idea to buy it was in my head when no one here wanted it but it would unfortunately be difficult and expensive since I live in Norway.

On 18/05/2022 at 22:45, sheffcortinacentre said:

Don't forget they only do this "recycling" if it makes them a profit!

Think I'm kidding check up.

Our council did publish figures of how profitable the recycling was.  Certainly worth doing.

I only put a bin out every couple of months.  Live alone and very little waste except I cut a pallet up a bit back and buried it in a bin.  Another time, a pair of tall steps that fell to bits.  Woodworm.

They never seem to look at what the contents are.  Possibly due to the bribe... er, Christmas present they get from me.

1 hour ago, gm said:

i thought the whole point of cazoo etc was that you didn’t need to go to the showroom ? so what is the point of this ?

7D7D0CBD-A412-447B-B3F7-9E91994E7F66.thumb.jpeg.70821f6f95a3b344d2ba9fd0116930a6.jpeg

but zooming in - is that a TR7 painted on the wall inside ? 

7AD1CF80-88FB-436E-BA8C-8B9F5946E8B5.thumb.jpeg.7e9e43c991184466683154f5c9568349.jpeg

wtf ? i wonder how many of them they plan on selling 

For "click and collect" I believe.. Basically a way of thwarting distance selling regulations because its all of a sudden not a distance sale if the customer picks it up. Crafty

38 minutes ago, PhilA said:

20220520_075149.thumb.jpg.6914375a99b7d4d21080f5c9fc00c29e.jpg

Even the capacitor is rusty. (It quit, that was the failure). 

I don't like AC motors and stuff. Witchcraft.

Worth keeping one of them in the tool drawer just in case...I do!

I still don't trust wire nuts for all they're everywhere in the US!

My grump is that my daily appears to have out of the blue started using something like a litre of oil every 200 miles without it apparently going anywhere...And I can't get the camper MOTed until the middle of next month.